test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Testing Characters in the Powerhouse--But Which One..?

I'm not sure many people have realized this, since I rarely seen anyone in the PH except in Millenium City, but each Powerhouse allows you to test your character against different villain groups. So for those of you who don't know or have never thought of it, here it is:

Millenium City--Ren Center
(1) Purple Gang (2) DEMON (3) PSI

Force Station Steelhead--Canadian Wilderness
(1) Hunter-Patriots (2) VIPER (3) Gadroon

Project Greenskin--Southwest Desert
(1) Irradiates (2) Cowboy Robots (3) Escaped Prisoners

Bureau 17--Monster Island
(1) Manimals (2) Argent (3) Elder Worms

Aegir, stern compartment--Lemuria
(1) Aquatic Lemurians (2) Karkaradons (3) Ghost Pirates

NOTES
To get to the "stern compartment" on board the Aegir, go to the opposite side of the sub from where you appear when you zone there. Approach the door and it will allow you to enter the stern compartment the usual way (click!).

The significance of this post: If you tend to have trouble with certain groups, you can rebuild your character repeatedly, paying for it (with in-game $$) only once. I don't think this is too much of an issue for most but you never know. To move to another Powerhouse and test against another villain group, take off the powers again and leave the PH, then go the next zone, enter the PH there, re-choose your powers, and test away. Just make sure to write things down or otherwise remember what you did. (There is no issue zoning without all your powers, as all Powerhouse sites are near where you first appear in the zone, no dangerous travel required.)

There are specific reasons to test against specific villains, other than the "they're hard for me" idea. Examples: VIPER has Brickbusters, who are really annoying debuffers; Argent has mobs that can drain your energy. Testing solo team size 5 against these two groups will let you know if your character needs a plan for those circumstances.

In the first version of Vibora Bay (where you go to meet Black Mask), the Powerhouse is "under renovation". Or, at least, I couldn't find a working one there. If anyone knows of any other PH locations (and the villain groups) that I haven't mentioned, please mention them. Thanks, all.

Comments

• Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    I'm sad to say...I never knew this.
  • Options
    eviltwintwoeviltwintwo Posts: 351 Arc User

I'm sad to say...I never knew this.

It's just like anything else--if no one told you, or it never occurred to you, then you wouldn't know. I happened to wonder about that other Powerhouse (in the desert, I think) and checked it out. Either that or I entered it without thinking, expecting the same three test groups. Can't remember which.
  • Options
    "Testing solo team size 5 against these two groups will let you know if your character needs a plan for those circumstances."

Okay...maybe I didn't say that the way I meant it. If you're having trouble with a villain group, or testing against tougher ones (VIPER/Argent), starting at team size 5 while solo might not be the best strategy. :astonished: Believe me, when you find out there are 2 Brickbusters in a group, it can make a whale of a difference.

What I usually do: if I'm confident in my build, but not too confident, I start at team size 3--otherwise, team size 2. If I have trouble with that, then I know I've got some work to do. (I recently put one of my support builds against VIPER, and man did I get creamed repeatedly.) If I handle it okay, I try it again, same conditions; the groups don't always have a Brickbuster, and I want to make sure I get a good test--sometimes I'll win a fight if 0 or 1 Brickbuster is there but lose if there are 2.

After some tweaking, I up the team size by 1. When I can handle that, I do it again until I can handle team size 5 (assuming my build can actually do so).

This particular time, my support build was able to defeat all three groups at 5. Not bad for a solo toon running Aura of Primal Majesty and Compassion, right? :open_mouth:
  • Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Posts: 521 Arc User
    Yeah, each powerhouse has enemies common to the zone it is in.

Viper is fairly common in multiple zones, but they had other options for those. Canada could have offered us Bigfeet but they are not particularly diverse.

Anyone thinking about soloing the QWZ dailies though should just go ahead and max out numbers and power when testing themselves.
    The QWZ is a lot harder than anything I have gotten the powerhouse to cook up for a challenge.

The damage you take in testing is damage counted towards your perks, by the way.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Haven't been in QWZ yet, but had already gotten that impression. It would be nice if each PH had at least one more villain group in it (total of 5 or 6 would be even better), but I doubt that will ever be a priority.

More options in PH would be good too. For example, Viper-X or a more generic version of such a foe could be added to the later PH's so you can test against a single superior target; if you've ever done "Bullet for Biselle" (hope I spelled that right) or soloed the Chimera at -1 or even level, you know that a tough target with a time limit can be a pain. But it would be a good extra challenge to see if you can take down such a target within a certain time. Again, not a priority for Cryptic, but it'd be nice.
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,434 Arc User
    I actually knew that different groups were available in different PHs. What would make the most sense is if each PH allowed you to fight any faction you want, obviating the need to make special trips for certain groups. No reason why it couldn't work that way. Of course, having the option to pick a fight against a single powerful villain is also needed. Testing against mooks isn't the best way to test for some kinds of content.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options

Testing against mooks isn't the best way to test for some kinds of content.

Definitely.
  • Options
    pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    It would be awesome if we could test ourselves against some bigger monsters. Like a one-person Grond or something.

Also, as mentioned above, testing vs QWZ level monsters would be nice.

The stuff they have in there is pathetic and really does not test much of anything.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

It would be awesome if we could test ourselves against some bigger monsters. Like a one-person Grond or something.

Also, as mentioned above, testing vs QWZ level monsters would be nice.

The stuff they have in there is pathetic and really does not test much of anything.

I do get some usefulness out of Viper & Argent, as I mentioned. And I also stay in the PH with a character if I'm trying to figure out how certain powers work together. It still doesn't quite tell you how things will work out in the open world and instance missions, but it's close enough.

The QWZ villains...hmm...after thinking about that awhile I believe I understand why that particular enemy class isn't in the Powerhouse. They are level 40 only, and you test against them in the zone itself. I wouldn't be surprised if that was their reasoning. Despite that, I agree with having them in the Powerhouse. Testing power combinations against them would be useful in preparing for QWZ content, if a player chose to do so. And some would.

A one-person mini-Grond would be awesome, especially if in a selection of super bad guys with different strengths. Also, these test mobs could get stronger based on the number of heroes entering, so they could be useful to both individual heroes and teams.