test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do you play games other than CO?

I recently played Shadow Warrior 2 in its entirety. Great game, loved every minute of it. While playing it I was unable to play CO because physics. Now, some people around here want to make a big deal about "playing other games" like not spending all your game time on CO somehow means that CO is bad, or becoming bad, or something along those lines. So let's talk about that. I play other games all the time... mainly dictated by any steam sale that goes above 50% off. Been playing Far Cry 4, Dragon's Dogma, Skyrim, Saints Row 4 & gat out of hell, rose of the tomb raider, killing floor 2, senran kagura.... crush crush >.>; and none of this is an expression of CO being any worse than it was before I started playing those other games.

So how do you feel about that? Is playing other games an expression of your dislike for CO, or are you just doing something else and it's not a big deal? Do you sometimes get bored of CO, even though you still like it, and then just start playing other games for a while? Have you ever played a game you love so much that you burnt yourself out on it for a while? Do you consider it a betrayal to the fragile population numbers of CO to dare to play another game? Do you know any cheap games on steam that are really fun?

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    I play other games so I won't burn out on CO. Currently, that includes STO, Fallout 4 (can't afford the DLC yet, but there are lots of mods on the XBone), Halo 5, and occasional forays into old-school games like Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines (playing a Malk is fun - you get to argue with stop signs).

For those who have burned out, I recommend playing other games for a while, until the desire to don that spandex and save the world returns. CO will be waiting for you. And if you sincerely don't like CO, by all means, play something else. Life is too short to play games you dislike out of spite.​​
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    Street Fighter. All of em except five. Never five u3u.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    I play STO a lot.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • nacito#6758 nacito Posts: 969 Arc User
    I played STO but I'm having a rest of it until idk after winter event
    I was also trying to (finally) finish Dead Space 2
    I play LoL from time to time too
    sometimes I play Minecraft too, but haven't done it in a while
    I downloaded Osu! a couple days ago, something to de-stress
    I used to play a lot GW2 too
    sadly the list is short, I would play more stuff if it weren't because I'm stuck in a old laptop, ended up being a good laptop over the years tho

Why I stop playing CO? well same reason I stop playing other games... I don't mind if the game is as half dead as some claims WoW is, and even if its true, I still love the character creation and the hard content, something that CO will never drive me away... until there is another competition to that
    Just another reptile lover, known in game as @nacito
    4hszgc1knoyo.png

This is a big journey, so far if you're reading this, wish you a good day
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    spinnytop said:

So how do you feel about that? Is playing other games an expression of your dislike for CO, or are you just doing something else and it's not a big deal? Do you sometimes get bored of CO, even though you still like it, and then just start playing other games for a while? Have you ever played a game you love so much that you burnt yourself out on it for a while? Do you consider it a betrayal to the fragile population numbers of CO to dare to play another game?

Contrary to popular belief, it's okay to play other games without it being an insult or betrayal to each game, or a statement against something going on in a certain game. I play several other games because variety is good:
    • World of Warcraft
    • Star Trek Online
    • Final Fantasy Brave Exvius
    • Final Fantasy Record Keeper (very seldom/casually)
    • Lots of old emulator games
    • Various steam & flash games, mostly small-scale indie stuff
    spinnytop said:

Do you know any cheap games on steam that are really fun?

That depends entirely on your taste in games. Eternal Senia, Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt, and Epic Battle Fantasy 3 are all decent for being free. They might be weeaboo enough for your tastes, too! :D
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    Nope. I'm not a gamer, I'm a super-hero freak. :)
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • kyastralkyastral Posts: 342 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

I recently played Shadow Warrior 2 in its entirety. Great game, loved every minute of it. While playing it I was unable to play CO because physics. Now, some people around here want to make a big deal about "playing other games" like not spending all your game time on CO somehow means that CO is bad, or becoming bad, or something along those lines. So let's talk about that. I play other games all the time... mainly dictated by any steam sale that goes above 50% off. Been playing Far Cry 4, Dragon's Dogma, Skyrim, Saints Row 4 & gat out of hell, rose of the tomb raider, killing floor 2, senran kagura.... crush crush >.>; and none of this is an expression of CO being any worse than it was before I started playing those other games.

So how do you feel about that? Is playing other games an expression of your dislike for CO, or are you just doing something else and it's not a big deal? Do you sometimes get bored of CO, even though you still like it, and then just start playing other games for a while? Have you ever played a game you love so much that you burnt yourself out on it for a while? Do you consider it a betrayal to the fragile population numbers of CO to dare to play another game? Do you know any cheap games on steam that are really fun?

Hmm... Well, I have played other games before CO, I play other games besides CO, and I will continue to play other games after CO if it ever goes twilight.

I think that people who play other games besides their *main* game are generally more open minded about gaming. Everyone gets to a state of *boredom* with CO or any other MMO; however, players have their own ways of dealing with it, sometimes in negative ways.

Yes, some people will scream blashpemy at you for playing other games besides CO; oh well, their complacency is not my reality. In fact, I refuse to buy into that *bullying* tactic of *game betrayal*. A healthy game community can support their game of choice while playing/discussing other games. I think even game developers play other games besides the one that brings them a paycheck just so they dont get *burnt out*.

Personally I do not have an issue with playing other games, whether or not I'm bored with them. I do not have any steam games or a steam machine. I do have my computer and consoles that I have purchased/aquired over the years. Besides CO I have been currently been playing STO and Neverwinter on the PS4 (which has better movement/camera controls than the computer), peeked into DCUO (PS4) a few times (ducks), Far Cry Primal (PS4) Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy 8, ODDWORLD: Abe's Exxodus, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1), Sims 2, Everquest, World of Warcraft and various Hidden Object games (PC). I have other consoles and games for most of them (except Atari games): Atari 2600, NES, Nintendo 64, Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis Master System (with CD) PS1 Slim (with the monitor) PS2, PS3, and I just got the PS4 Pro Final Fantasy Limited Edition w/ FFXV Deluxe Edition & Kingsglaive movie as an early Christmas present (I was sharing my boyfriend's PS4 for awhile).

Now, one would wonder why I would even bother playing CO if I have access to a lot of games; simply put, I like to play CO. I like to split my time playing diffferent games so I never get that *burnt out* or *bored* feeling.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Yes.​​
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • vinxbrvinxbr Posts: 161 Arc User
    I alwaiys played more than one game parallels, depending on my mood or my current interest i stick with one or another game more, but i love all my games equally.

Currently aside CO i'm playing Robocraft, Guild Wars2, inteding to return to STO, and DCUO (is not like i'm cheating you CO, i just... wanted to try news experiences XD)
  • servantrulesservantrules Posts: 312 Arc User
    Sure. Been a gamer most of my life. When not working on pro or personal projects, other than CO I play Anarchy Online, DDO (i.e. the artist formerly known as Eberron Online), STO, Villagers and Heroes, and Ragnarok Online 1. Sometimes I'll have the urge to try something old or something new in the MMO when it tickles my fancy. When the internet is not cooperating, it's back to old consoles (SNES, Sega Genesis, or PS1) or PC gaming (Fallout 2, Might and Magic, Red Alert, Neverwinter Nights, Vampire: Bloodlines, etc.), Freedom Force, or such. GOG.com is a treasure trove of these older games at cheaper prices and no jumping through hoops to make them work on modern computers.
  • darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    spinnytop said:

I play CO in bursts when available NEW content exists.

for me there is nothing currently new in CO, so my focus has wandered to other games. Including STO, Banner Saga 1 & 2 (just finished), Tyranny (just finished), Marvel Heroes (less so as some of the upcoming revamp changes are iditoic), and about to get back into Street Fighter 5 since season 2 is coming (Akuma arrives tomorrow in the game).

I also have a crap load of backlog on steam I need to get to. Luckily I have some vacation days coming up. I plan to get into that Transformers game I downloaded but never started. Also Hotline Miami, Shank 1 and 2, finish up Mark of Ninja (that game can get hard as f), and start Civilization 6.

EDIT: This is ofcourse if real life permits. Which it often doesn'. :pensive:
    edited December 2016
    nepht said:

I hear you. It takes the patience of . . . . well it takes a lot to bear with SFV's shortcomings. I hope season 2 fixes a crapload of stuff in that game, cause it's needed.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    before CO, tried wow got sick of elitist jerks and activisions(?) start on dumbng down.. sorry streamlining the spec trees..
    Runescape- grind.... grind... grind
    tried Rift and CO, only had time for one, Rift lost.
    since CO, tried DCUO..... 9 clicks of a mouse for one power...let's just say my reason for leaving questionnaire answer wasn't very polite in describing keyboard controls
    NW- less said the better
    STO_ first try, due to the old tutorial- 10mins and i uninstalled.
    GW2- grind these missions..... grind these missions... take great delight in killing imbecilic childhood freind.
    PWI- oh god, it's worse than NW- uninstalled within an hour.
    Tera- "why is the camera floating down to butt level everytime I stand still?"
    SWTOR- Cutscenes Online...
    STO- 2nd try... we will now fly across the quadrant... I'll just go make coffee and lunch and read something, am I there yet.

apart from that I have stuff all time.
    I have 3 weeks leave coming up and I'm hoping to get some alts to 40 to clear my current in-transit list.Being an altaholic means, the game is different with each character​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• tempestorm76tempestorm76 Posts: 90 Arc User
    I am a Lifetime for Champions.

I am currently subscribed to World of Warcraft.

I will be re-subscribing to Star Wars: The Old Republic soon.

My gaming and what I play go in cycles and phases.
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    chaelk said:

before CO, tried wow got sick of elitist jerks and activisions(?) start on dumbng down..

Not meaning to go off topic, but I never really understand why people defend wow's old talent trees. Talent trees in general are something of a design failure because most of the time, there's a right choice and a bunch of wrong choices. The old wow talent trees were pretty much a game of "google, what talents should my affliction warlock be using?" While that part unfortunately remains today, the critical difference is that the modern design gives you a handful of really interesting choices instead of having 5 different ranks of "increases the damage of your corruption by 1% per rank)

CO's talent trees (specializations) suffer the same problem, although not nearly as badly thanks to the game's open-ended character creation.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    edited December 2016
    darqaura2 said:

nepht said:

I hear you. It takes the patience of . . . . well it takes a lot to bear with SFV's shortcomings. I hope season 2 fixes a crapload of stuff in that game, cause it's needed.
    Doesn't look that way have you seen what they have done to Akuma.

And guess what if you don't like new Thundercat Akuma you can buy his old costume for just $3.99! Screw that game I think I'll stick with MKXL >_>"
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    aesica wrote: »
    before CO, tried wow got sick of elitist jerks and activisions(?) start on dumbng down..
    Not meaning to go off topic, but I never really understand why people defend wow's old talent trees. Talent trees in general are something of a design failure because most of the time, there's a right choice and a bunch of wrong choices. The old wow talent trees were pretty much a game of "google, what talents should my affliction warlock be using?" While that part unfortunately remains today, the critical difference is that the modern design gives you a handful of really interesting choices instead of having 5 different ranks of "increases the damage of your corruption by 1% per rank)

CO's talent trees (specializations) suffer the same problem, although not nearly as badly thanks to the game's open-ended character creation.

I retried it several months ago. I found the choices of 3 to have 2 that were pretty much the same.
    The first change, making you take 30 pts in one tree before you could put any in others, wiped out all hybrid builds.​​

nepht said:

darqaura2 said:

nepht said:

And guess what if you don't like new Thundercat Akuma you can buy his old costume for just $3.99! Screw that game I think I'll stick with MKXL >_>"
    Yeah the nickle and diming in that game is a bit insane. Then again I'm not sure which is better. Having to keep paying for new characters or the past of having to buy a brand new game everytime they added new charactewrs: SFIV, SFIV Turbo, SFIV Turbo Ultimate Edition :/
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    I tried STO, but too heavily focused on spaceship stuff for me. I would play more often if spaceship stuff were 10% of the game or less.

I play Pokemon Go, though latest update was super disappointing.

I play Candy Crush Soda Saga from time to time.

I play D&D, pen and paper.

I play a wide variety of boardgames, like Betrayal, Runewars, Cthulhu Wars, Fury of Dracula, Mansions of Madness, et al.

My CO time is greater than the rest of them combined. I'm a sucker for customization of in-game avatar.
    It is the main reason I have stayed, and why I don't even bother with many other games.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    nepht said:

darqaura2 said:

nepht said:

Um... did he get stung by a bee?
    edited December 2016
    darqaura2 said:

Yeah the nickle and diming in that game is a bit insane. Then again I'm not sure which is better. Having to keep paying for new characters or the past of having to buy a brand new game everytime they added new charactewrs: SFIV, SFIV Turbo, SFIV Turbo Ultimate Edition :/

I'd rather have the Super Turbos. I have ALL the Street Fighter 2s and they all play different.

Its a wiki so auto hate without looking :D

nepht said:

darqaura2 said:

I'd rather have the Super Turbos. I have ALL the Street Fighter 2s and they all play different.

Yeah it ended up I would only get the last edition of each series as that was the only one that was considered "complete". My point some may prefer this method of only having to pay for the dlc characters they want.
    It's a list of all the characters who have used Shun Goku Satsu or a variant in one or more games, including Sakura and Rogue.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters

It's a list of all the characters who have used Shun Goku Satsu or a variant in one or more games, including Sakura and Rogue.

>_< I was jkn I read the list man.
  • raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    Currently I play quite a few other games... off the top of my list of games I've been playing lately...

WoW
    SW:tOR
    Warframe
    GW2
    Overwatch
    Fallout 4
    Skyrim
    The Sims

and about a dozen or so little Indie-games...
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
    raighn said:

GW2

¬_¬"

ah yes the other thing about GW2, where the female armour for certain classes got smaller , the higher you got.ABout the only thing I liked with GW2 as all the pets.​​

• raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    chaelk said:

ah yes the other thing about GW2, where the female armour for certain classes got smaller , the higher you got.ABout the only thing I liked with GW2 as all the pets.​​

Lately I've been playing a lot less of it... since I've been getting headaches from the FoV being too wide now... first it gives people headaches from too small of an FoV and when they finally fixed it they went too far and now it gives headaches from being too wide...
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
    edited December 2016

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH! stuff GW2 were the sun don't shine \o\

>__>"

• rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    yep, right now floating between dark souls 3, shantae 1/2 genie hero, nights of azure and monster hunter 4 ultimate(i got x on sale, but want to beat the crimson fatalis fight before moving forward).
    i have kind of fallen out of mmos since being really into coh. secret world kind of bored me, and gw2 is tainted, i still pop into co from time to time, and am happy about the new zone, looking forward to the future on that one.. my pc is getting on the low end of specs for good graphics so while i would like to play final fantasy XIV , thats going to have to wait till i have the time to build my new box. my current preference is for souls type games, just finished it with the dlc and the chalice dungeons, and monster hunter games, like toukiden,monster hunter and even final fantasy explorers. beyond that its usually any rpg that has heavy character customization.
    as for the question, its in every mmo, hell, its a basic customer /provider thing to complain "i will take my business elsewhere". its neither always valid nor always invalid, it is often annoying and comes across as petty, but when someone properly explains what bothers them and offers a clear reason why they are annoyed, then there can be a healthy discussion..this does not happen often.
    rianfrost said:

yep, right now floating between dark souls 3, shantae 1/2 genie hero, nights of azure and monster hunter 4 ultimate(i got x on sale, but want to beat the crimson fatalis fight before moving forward).
    i have kind of fallen out of mmos since being really into coh. secret world kind of bored me, and gw2 is tainted, i still pop into co from time to time, and am happy about the new zone, looking forward to the future on that one.. my pc is getting on the low end of specs for good graphics so while i would like to play final fantasy XIV , thats going to have to wait till i have the time to build my new box. my current preference is for souls type games, just finished it with the dlc and the chalice dungeons, and monster hunter games, like toukiden,monster hunter and even final fantasy explorers. beyond that its usually any rpg that has heavy character customization.
    as for the question, its in every mmo, hell, its a basic customer /provider thing to complain "i will take my business elsewhere". its neither always valid nor always invalid, it is often annoying and comes across as petty, but when someone properly explains what bothers them and offers a clear reason why they are annoyed, then there can be a healthy discussion..this does not happen often.

The only logical reply to this can be.....

• beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    CO is basically the only MMO I have ever played for more than a few months at a time but I play lots of other games when I'm not playing CO. Including but not limited to Skyrim, Fallout(all of them!), Darksouls(Mostly just the frist one.), and more recently Spacehulk: Deathwing, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, Assault Suit Leynos, & Freedom Planet.

• itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    FFXIV(rarely)
    Or I just get out of the house and stop playing games. \o/
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    Okay, now you're just talking crazy.​​
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Solaris on the Atari 2600. A legit better space sim than No Man's Sky :3
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    I don't play any other MMO's, I get my other gaming kicks from tabletop RPGs.

Currently playing M'boto, a pygmy Ranger with a pet Capucin monkey and a wild boar mount, in 13th Age Primeval Thule and Sir Meredith Neville, an archeaologist who's far too interested in using Mythos magic for his own sanity, in Call of Cthulhu.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited December 2016

FFXIV(rarely)

that would seem to be an existential issue for you, given your screen name.
    nepht said:

I have no clue what this means. Solaris was really good though. i dont recall if you could actually "win" it or you eventually ran out of gas and died, but for the 2600 it was actually exceedingly deep.
    EDIT: it apparently could win if you reached the titular planet, i just was apparently bad at it.

• itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    rianfrost said:

FFXIV(rarely)

It's a mistake I can never undo.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
    rianfrost said:

FFXIV(rarely)

nepht said:

I have no clue what this means. Solaris was really good though. i dont recall if you could actually "win" it or you eventually ran out of gas and died, but for the 2600 it was actually exceedingly deep.
    EDIT: it apparently could win if you reached the titular planet, i just was apparently bad at it.
    The turtle? It's Bowser Koopa.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    Aside from CO...

Overwatch (which has sort of consumed my life)

But yeah...Overwatch or CO mainly (if not those two, I'm either writing or working or both ._.)

I used to play the following games but haven't touched them in ages:

- Wildstar
    - Neverwinter Online
    - SWTOR
    - DC Universe Online
    - Marvel Heroes

edited January 2017

Aside from CO...

But yeah...Overwatch or CO mainly (if not those two, I'm either writing or working or both ._.)

I used to play the following games but haven't touched them in ages:

- Wildstar
    - Neverwinter Online
    - SWTOR
    - DC Universe Online
    - Marvel Heroes

Marvel Heroes was my jam for like 6 months in 2016. The new changes they have coming up make me fear it may never be again.
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    I am playing a lot of other games at the moment since the season spate of events kind of burns me down. The get everything fast before the event is gone sort of pushes me not to play but that's with any MMO that does this seasonal stuff. Seasonal events to me should be something nice to show the devs are thinking of players, and maybe a small list of rewards, but eh, modern mindset to the seasonal events these days. So, I have been playing a lot of my other single player games, and I got a lot gifted to me over Christmas evidently;

Currently I am playing;
    Grand Theft Auto 5
    Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
    Minecraft (1.10.2 modded)
    Warframe
    Deadpool
    DuckTales Remastered
    Replaying the Arkham games slowly

Games I am probably going to paly in the near future;
    Fallout 4 (need to finish the main story)
    Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
    Wasteland 2
    and a few others.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User

Aside from CO...

YOU play Overwatch?! I would have never thought o3o *presses Q*
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    spinnytop said:

Aside from CO...

YOU play Overwatch?! I would have never thought o3o *presses Q*
    LOL.

Mmm, je te vois. o3o

• ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    CO, GW2, Fallout 4, Skyrim, ESO, Borderlands...thats about it for electronic games. Been spending more time on Pen and Paper lately.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    Been playing a lot of Forza Horizon 3 on Xbox1. Only way I can ever drive my Nissan Skyline GTR dream car.

Also the occasional Overwatch. Love D.Va so much.