test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Spider-Man: Homecoming Trailer

championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
Well, my opinion; it's about damn time we got an actual Spider-Man. I loved this kid in Civil War and seeing this trailer pleases me that we get a Spider-Man that seems to be acting like Peter Parker and Spider-Man properly, not the emo angst filled organic web shooter crap of McGuire, or the cool kid Parker of Garfield. So, yea, I am kind of excited about this Spider-Man :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrzXIaTt99U
Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
Silverspar on PRIMUS
Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

Comments

• nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    >_> My problem with Spiderman in the movies is they always go down the teenage kid route. Spiderman in the comics has been a dude in his 30s for quite a few decades now. Heck in the comics now Parker is much richer than Stark :P

Movie looks good though they have nailed Iron Man / Spiderman banter.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Maybe they finally stop making the Spidey Origin Stories.
    Just that because Aunt May is getting younger (and hotter) every time....
    And next Spidey Origin Story would be Baby Spiderman with teenage Aunt May......
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    But Nep, you can't go by comic ages. In this timeline they just introduce Spider-Man. It wouldn't make sense to make him a guy who has been around forever, not helping.
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    Yea, Civil War established that Spidey hasn't had his powers more than six months at that point in time. So by the time Homecoming comes out, he will be about a year and six months into his powers. And frankly, I don't care if they start with kid parker, considering they royally fucked him up with McGuire they need this level of retconning anyways. It's not really an origin since we aren't dealing with Uncle Ben stuff for the third time.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    And this way we can grow with Spider-Man
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    True, an origin story would have to go all the way back to the spider and Ben. And I think that by now, they could cover that in a montage, because we all know that stuff. Tribesmen in upper Mongolia who've only seen TVs when they were carried in by anthropologists know about Spidey's origin by now.

Interesting that they brought in Miles' friend from the Ultimate comics (did he make the transition to 616 along with Miles? Haven't really kept up lately). It's cool, I think, that they put a character in there that Peter can interact with in order to do some of the necessary audience exposition about all this stuff Peter's doing now.​​
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Not much to ask for a movie with an up to date Spidey, this is just another origin story just set right after said origin. Its like Parker is stuck in some sort of messed up Superhero Groundhog's day -_-"
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    You are missing the point a tad. This isn't the Spider-Man from the prior movies or from the current comics, same with Iron Man.

The MCU Earth is in the early stages with these heroes. So to have Spider-Man as an adult would mean he has been fighting crime since he was a kid and before Tony Stark even created his first suit.

It would create more questions than answers.

Like if Spider-Man is rich and a seasoned vet, where has he been? Why did he not fight off the New York Invasion?

You have to retcon him because there is no Spider-Man during these prior movies, just an unbitten Peter Parker. If he says, "yeah, I've been fighting crime for like 10years."

Oh? What crime then?

But never fear Neppy! This will be the Spider-Man who will become the seasoned hero and you'll grow with him. It could have been Toby if these movies started 10years ago.
    edited December 2016

It could have been Toby if these movies started 10years ago.

Don't say such evil, ugly things. I would prefer a plank of wood over Toby, it would have done a better job.

That being said, I actually like this Spider-Man because A) they are showcasing actually how strong Peter is. Toby eh, they semi showed it once or twice but not really. We got a glimpse of how strong he was in Civil War when he stopped a punch from Winter Soldier's bionic arm, and acting all amazed but at the end of that clip seeing him holding the Staten Island Ferry together. This is not a small boat, but a boat that is about 3,200 tons. We also see him get hit by a school bus in an earlier scene. To be blunt, this is the first time we see feats of strength of this magnitude from Spidey in a long time. We caught a glimpse of it in in Spidey 2 with Toby, I admit, but that is only a fraction of Spidey's real power. Hell, even Doc Oc when he was Superior Spider-Man realized how much Parker was holding back after he punched someone's jaw off.

As for my B) holy **** he's actually being Spider-Man and running his mouth constantly. Serious, Parker never shuts up, and he would give Deadpool a run for his money in the mouth department, and we are finally getting that. It was bloody awesome and just made me happy to see such a thing in Civil War, and watching that bank robbery scene gives me hope they are continuing then.

Also, good gravy, Tom Holland is jacked.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited December 2016
    *slaps Silver and Ratty* They could have just rehired Toby because he was the best Spiderman u3u

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVMib1T4T4

Half the reason this clip has become meme is because of Toby's gormless face.

So would he have been doing a full on "Batman"? Deciding to have retired and now that he isn't alone he comes out to help? So we get a old out of retirement Spider-Man?

and FYI did anyone see Bruce Banner on the wall in the class room?
    And i still can't quite adjust to his blinking maskeyes....

So would he have been doing a full on "Batman"? Deciding to have retired and now that he isn't alone he comes out to help? So we get a old out of retirement Spider-Man?

OMG I would watch the f*** out of a bitter grumpy old Spiderman X_X

Comics have done that when MC2 Parker builds himself a bionic leg and comes out of retirement.
    You have bitter grumpy old Logan to look forward to. Let Spider-Man be the every hero :p
    Silverspar on PRIMUS

You have bitter grumpy old Logan to look forward to. Let Spider-Man be the every hero :p

OH yeah the billionaire egotist playboy that wants to avenge a dead family member everyman hero that is SPIDER-BAT!

Been a long long while since Parker was a teenage kid in the comics and kinda getting sick of it in the movies.
    And Iron Man now
    nepht wrote: »
    OH yeah the billionaire egotist playboy that wants to avenge a dead family member everyman hero that is SPIDER-BAT!

No, THIS is Spider-Bat.

Spider-Bat%202_zpskwm0ztdx.png

:smiley:​​
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    If it were another Sony-exclusive Spider-Man reboot I'd be rolling my eyes and going "whatever", even though I enjoyed Garfield's Spider-Man.

Since this time around Sony is letting Marvel call the shots and now it's Spider-Man in the MCU, fine by me. I like the premise where Peter's still a rookie superhero trying to prove that he's major league material, especially with Tony basically telling him "You're way over your head kid. Leave it to the Avengers.".

I'm looking forward to seeing more of the witty, smart-mouthed banter between him and Tony too, and it's neat that they're using Tony as a mentor figure to Peter just like what happened in the Civil War comic arc (just without the part where it all goes south eventually).
    edited December 2016

If it were another Sony-exclusive Spider-Man reboot I'd be rolling my eyes and going "whatever", even though I enjoyed Garfield's Spider-Man.

Since this time around Sony is letting Marvel call the shots and now it's Spider-Man in the MCU, fine by me. I like the premise where Peter's still a rookie superhero trying to prove that he's major league material, especially with Tony basically telling him "You're way over your head kid. Leave it to the Avengers.".

I'm looking forward to seeing more of the witty, smart-mouthed banter between him and Tony too, and it's neat that they're using Tony as a mentor figure to Peter just like what happened in the Civil War comic arc (just without the part where it all goes south eventually).

My problem with that is in Marvel its normally Parker saying to the Avengers that this threat is way out of their league and they best leave it to Spider-Man.

Spider-Man is Marvel's flagship hero and its good they have him in the MCU now but lets be honest Spider-Man is A-team and Iron-Man is B-team. Marvel tried to make Iron-Man its flagship but that didnt 100% gel right with fans so Marvel bit the bullet made a deal with Sony :P

A Spider-Man MCU movie I am betting will far out do anything the MCU has done yet so yeah anything that causes less Iron Man to be on screen eventually is a good thing.

Parker is the main event and his MCU movies should reflect this.

In fact, Peter has called upon the Avengers several times when faced with something beyond him. The FF, too. (Joe Straczynski did a cute riff on that when what's-his-face the spider-power vampire first showed up. When Peter realized how outclassed he was, he tried calling the others, but the Avengers' number was unlisted and nobody was answering at FF HQ. He finally wound up using the dime he swiped from a beggar ("Hey, you're supposed to be a hero!" "Yeah, and you're supposed to be blind." "Touche.") to call MJ and leave her a message.)

The only time Peter has ever told other supers to "stand aside" was when he had the Captain Universe powers, back in the '80s IIRC. He was, on the other hand, pretty happy about getting to join the Avengers back before "One More Day".​​

This is the first time Spidey is in the MCU and they've already established, Super Heroes are a new phenomenon, not something that's existed for the past 100 years. The taragen crisis established in Agents of SHIELD pretty much gets that one out the gate. So I can understand them going with high school Parker, and it will be interesting to see him grow up, as long as they avoid Spider Man 3 syndrome with Emo McGuire.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User

It could have been Toby if these movies started 10years ago.

Don't say such evil, ugly things. I would prefer a plank of wood over Toby, it would have done a better job.

That being said, I actually like this Spider-Man because A) they are showcasing actually how strong Peter is. Toby eh, they semi showed it once or twice but not really. We got a glimpse of how strong he was in Civil War when he stopped a punch from Winter Soldier's bionic arm, and acting all amazed but at the end of that clip seeing him holding the Staten Island Ferry together. This is not a small boat, but a boat that is about 3,200 tons. We also see him get hit by a school bus in an earlier scene. To be blunt, this is the first time we see feats of strength of this magnitude from Spidey in a long time. We caught a glimpse of it in in Spidey 2 with Toby, I admit, but that is only a fraction of Spidey's real power. Hell, even Doc Oc when he was Superior Spider-Man realized how much Parker was holding back after he punched someone's jaw off.

As for my B) holy **** he's actually being Spider-Man and running his mouth constantly. Serious, Parker never shuts up, and he would give Deadpool a run for his money in the mouth department, and we are finally getting that. It was bloody awesome and just made me happy to see such a thing in Civil War, and watching that bank robbery scene gives me hope they are continuing then.

Also, good gravy, Tom Holland is jacked.
    SpOck is one of the coolest things they've done recently. :p
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    edited December 2016
    jonsills said:

In fact, Peter has called upon the Avengers several times when faced with something beyond him. The FF, too. (Joe Straczynski did a cute riff on that when what's-his-face the spider-power vampire first showed up. When Peter realized how outclassed he was, he tried calling the others, but the Avengers' number was unlisted and nobody was answering at FF HQ. He finally wound up using the dime he swiped from a beggar ("Hey, you're supposed to be a hero!" "Yeah, and you're supposed to be blind." "Touche.") to call MJ and leave her a message.)

The only time Peter has ever told other supers to "stand aside" was when he had the Captain Universe powers, back in the '80s IIRC. He was, on the other hand, pretty happy about getting to join the Avengers back before "One More Day".​​

Thats my point PARKER gets the Captain Universe powers not Stark. Why? Because he is Spider-F******-Man! Heck Marvel is even calling this movie Spiderman HOMECOMING....if it was Iron Man Sony had I don't think Marvel would have gave a crap to be fair.

Look at that panel and try and tell me Spider-Man isnt the greatest fictional character ever (behind Wolverine of course ¬_¬ )

Iron-Man just doesnt have that LOL factor.
  • baelogventurebaelogventure Posts: 520 Arc User
    1. Iron Man is the only thing going to save this film from complete mediocrity.
    2. I'm still waiting for Moon Knight.
    3. The Vulture as a first villain is an interesting choice, and better than Ultimate Electro.
    1. Iron Man is complete mediocrity.
    2. No one cares about Moon Knight.
    3. The Vulture as a first villain is an interesting choice, and better than Ultimate Electro. ( OK that point I cant argue with. )

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    yeah, Moon Knight is just nutso, never liked him.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    I enjoyed Spider-Man 1&2 at the time and the first Amazing Spider-Man wasn't all that bad(especially compairing it to ASM2...and Spider-Man 3 which was also a disaster.)

I have high hopes for the MCU Spider-Man movie, I really liked how they handled the character in the civil war movie. Yeah I would also like to see a grown up Peter Parker in the movies..but if these MCU films remain successful and they keep this new kid around for more than 3 movies we might just get to see that happen.

Vulture is great as the villian for this movie I think, he's one of Spider-Man's oldest foes(first apperance in the comics was ASM#2) but doesn't carry around as much backstory baggage as say...Green Goblin, Doc Ock, Dr Conners, or Venom. Guys we've already seen...along with Sandman for some reason. Electro is cool though... just not the Electro we got in the movie. He was so.. So so Bad. Maybe they'll also throw in The Chameleon (who first appeared in the comics in ASM#1) and The Terrible Tinkerer!(also from ASM#2) as lesser supporting villains.

Can't wait for next Fantastic Four Origin Story.
    Where in the middle of the movie, Reed Richards is revealed to be the main villain.

And next Spidey The Movie should have Kraven the Hunter as main baddie.
    edited December 2016
    I was hoping this movie would have Kraven and a few C-Ranked Spider villains.

My idea would be that General Ross recruits his own enhanced guys to bring in the Avenegers (Thunder Bolts? Too bad those other Winter Soliders were killed they would have been perfect). He knows everyone's identify except Spider-Man, so he hires Kraven to hunt down the Spiderling.