test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Suicide Squad

markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
edited July 2016 in Off Topic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AwUdTIbA8I

Looks to have the same feel as Deadpool. But it's probably not that comedic.

EDIT: and apparently Nepht posted one already... but that was the old one.
ChampsWiki
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
My characters

Comments

• nacito#6758 nacito Posts: 974 Arc User
    you dont have idea of how hyped im about of this movie >w<
    Just another reptile lover, known in game as @nacito
    4hszgc1knoyo.png

This is a big journey, so far if you're reading this, wish you a good day
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Well I"M hyped, so yeah. :p Nepht probably is too, but it's hard to make out facial features on a mummy cat....
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    should be at least partially funny, but then I find some movies which aren't meant to be funny, very funny.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited July 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qdfDdZHQgQ

this is cool. it's a series of mini-dossiers on the characters. music is probably repetitive mainly because they were not created to be a single video.

and for the cast:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7CyR_4GZ-s
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    But didja see the DC's Justice League trailer. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE..
    'So you talk to fishes'.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    I'm planning to watch both movies. :p
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited July 2016

Well I"M hyped, so yeah. :p Nepht probably is too, but it's hard to make out facial features on a mummy cat....

Super hyped. Also hope ima right about Ares being the big bad as a fiver rides on the outcome :O

Big horns on head, able to just vaporize a subway train and wearing Wonder Woman style gauntlets ...dats gotta be Ares >_>

That said it could also be Trigon or Sinestro also, Its prob Trigon and I owe Ginger a fiver >_>

nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited July 2016
    Hmmm hard to say, I'd guess Hades personally.

One thing I thought of.... if Enchantress is on the side of the squad.... we could be up against a REALLY powerful baddie. Yeah, June Moone's not a goddess like marvel's Amora, but she's still a very powerful magic user. And the mini-bio they put in for her in the clips says she's "6313 years young"... yeah... A 6 thousand year old witch is probably stupid powerful.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    edited July 2016
    oooohhh.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM20Q2_9KkM
    So this version of June is basically possessed but helping voluntarily.

also, found a longer version of the char clip video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTmfbSMCJVA
    characters in it: Enchantress, Slipknot, Harley, Deadshot, Boomerang, Rick Flag, Katana, Killer Croc, Amanda Waller, Joker, El Diablo, Slipknot(again)

This is weird.... the vibe I'm getting from these is that maybe the Joker isn't the big bad? I mean he seems to be evil, but small fry.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    edited July 2016
    With Cyborg in Justice League ima guessing its Trigon in Suicide Squad. Me be thinking all this be leading to Titans movie.

Why I think this because Enchantress isnt acting or looking like Enchantress kinda thinking shes been possessed by a certain little emo. Seriously it does look like Raven has taken direct control >_>"

Then theres a bad guy obsessed with EYES. We looking at DC Satan here people dis be Trigon's work.
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I was pondering the rock things. You see in the fighting clips that whatever they're fighting isn't human. It's like human shaped rock monsters..... I kept thinking "this is a CLUE!", but couldn't think of an enemy that actually used them.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters

I was pondering the rock things. You see in the fighting clips that whatever they're fighting isn't human. It's like human shaped rock monsters..... I kept thinking "this is a CLUE!", but couldn't think of an enemy that actually used them.

They are called The Eyes of the Adversary and DC isnt letting on who this adversary is. Heck it could be Brother Eye screwing around with the occult we just don't know. DC done a good job at stopping leaks.
    edited July 2016
    Hmm.... I'm starting to wonder if maybe Enchantress is partly to blame. In the comics June is a nice person, but the Enchantress entity is not. It's this entity which is 6313 years old, not June.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters

Hmm.... I'm starting to wonder if maybe Enchantress is partly to blame. In the comics June is a nice person, but the Enchantress entity is not. It's this entity which is 6313 years old, not June.

The Enchantress is a woman that got her powers almost by accident. No other entity possession involved some weird **** creepy creep gave her them and went to smite evils \o\

But in this movie some weird **** going down.

Enh... Justice League Dark apparently retconned that. Or is it that new 52 changed it? not sure...
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    edited July 2016

Enh... Justice League Dark apparently retconned that. Or is it that new 52 changed it? not sure...

Then Rebirth undid most of the retcons. It seems the movies are behind the comics then. That said I am a Marvel fan girl so my DC knowledge is alright but not great as I kinda avoided New 52 because its looked eww.

I didnt know they altered Enchantress and with it looking like Trigon is bad guy of movie I automatically thought OH emo girl is possessing her. Thats some messed up retcon so New 52 Enchantress was a women thats possessed by some crazy voodoo witch @_@

That said DC is putting out good comic stuff of late...much better than Marvel :I

nepht said:

Super hyped. Also hope ima right about Ares being the big bad as a fiver rides on the outcome :O

Big horns on head, able to just vaporize a subway train and wearing Wonder Woman style gauntlets ...dats gotta be Ares >_>

That said it could also be Trigon or Sinestro also, Its prob Trigon and I owe Ginger a fiver >_>
    I acquired another pic:

Hmm... I'm kinda wondering who this is too.... Maybe Brother Blood? Perhaps the whole thing is Brother Blood trying to summon Trigon or something?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    Its defiantly someone thats a cosmic level threat in the DC world. DC isnt giving any hints though. The not knowing is just getting me more hyped. I hope its not an anti climax :V

Soo character stories:
    Draftees, these are all people who had been imprisoned for various crimes:
    Captain Boomerang: apparently imprisoned for theft... a lot of it.
    Deadshot: Will Smith's character, probably someone we see a lot. Former merc/sniper/assassin.
    El Diablo: some guy who can light things on fire very well.
    Harley Quinn: apparently spends a large chunk of the movie hanging out with Joker.
    Killer Croc: imprisoned for eating people... yeah.
    Slipknot: no idea.... he's like a team sidekick or something.

Others:
    Amanda Waller; same semi-amoral protagonist from the comics. The squad was her idea apparently and she decided to supervise them as closely as possible. Unlike the comics she apparently goes into the field since she's inside the big helicopter.

Enchantress; The way Waller introduces her it seems as if June is here by her own choice. Also in one of the clips we apparently see the moment in which June gets possessed. Then there's the really thought provoking stuff... In the afore mentioned intro done by Waller, June and Enchantress look VERY different. But some of the, presumably later, scenes show what looks like June wearing the Enchantress costume.

Joker; the real wildcard... he's a major part of the movie, but not as a villain. Also in one of the trailers he says to Harley "what have they done to you?" Hmm.,.... And at another point you see him and Harley in his car.

Katana; generally unknown. She's apparently a true hero and not a forced to reform villain, but given how the comic book character is a violent vigilante at times, it's possible she's here for community service. Either way she's not seen at the prison.

Rick Flag; squad leader for suicide squad. Him being called a colonel is weird since 1: he looks too young, and 2: colonels are normally desk jockeys. His position makes more sense for a Lieutenant. Apparently he's here because acting as field leader is his duty to his country.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    edited August 2016
    Just back from the cinema. The movie is good. Might piss off people that want dark grim because its a rather jolly romp. But its a bit like what Fox did with the Deadpool movie. They played it super safe theres nothing in the movie that wasn't in the comic books >_>

Not going spoil it but I will say there is no cosmic level DC bad guy but long term Suicide Squad readers will recognize the baddie that pops up. Rest of us will keep on saying "no idea who that person is" :V

Jay Leto nails it as the Joker though ^_^
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    nepht said:

Not sure I trust Nepht's opinion 100% on this but honestly...that is really the only thing I care about when it comes to this movie. ( I have not seen it yet x.x )

beezeeze said:

nepht said:

Not sure I trust Nepht's opinion 100% on this but honestly...that is really the only thing I care about when it comes to this movie. ( I have not seen it yet x.x )

Wolverine's biggest fan girl is saying a DC movie is good would you rather listen to the advice of a DC Fanboi :P
    Seriously Leto is great does his own thing doesn't try and copy Ledger or Nicholson.
  • tigerofcachticetigerofcachtice Posts: 551 Arc User
    I just saw it with friends, some comic fans, others not, an even split, then had an after-film discussion.

My 1-Sentence Review - I thought it was a great interpretation, and that professional film critics gave it a far worse review than it deserved, possibly over-reacting due to Batman v Superman, as even among non-comic book readers enjoyed it, and I think you will as well.

I thought Suicide Squad was a great interpretation of the source material, with lots of homages that comic fans would recognise, yet wasn't detrimental to the film. And I say it's an interpretation because hardcore fans are right to pick out the differences from the comics they grew up with, but IMHO that's fine. Will Smith as Deadshot is really Will Smith as Deadshot; he's an assassin, but still as charismatic and like-able as any role Will Smith takes on, but that's why they cast Will Smith.

Very Personal Note - Sometimes I make comics, albeit bad ones, but I put in the effort because it's not as easy as one may think. I reckon making a film about a comic adds on a dimension of complexity, going from the 2D printed image to the live action big screen. A lot of this film is beautifully shot, cleverly integrating colours, iconic images, other artistic elements, without it looking pretentious. I was taking notes of them making this film, of some ethereal comic that technically doesn't exist.

I absolutely agree certain characters were superfluous, like Captain Boomerang and Katana as said above. Captain Boomerang was supposed to be comic relief, but in a film with Will Smith and Harley Quinn, he was actually less funny than they were. Katana hops on (she literally bounds onto the scene with a forced, short introduction) at like the last minute, like she was forced into the film. A counter-example would be Civil War IMHO, where there was a glut of characters, but everyone played a mission-critical role.

And that last point probably relates to a major criticism of the film, or the source of where all the other little criticisms came from: there was clearly a lot of Studio Meddling, I'm sure of it. You may have heard of the rumours of the re-shoots, things they changed after the film was made, before it reached your cinema. There are clearly many cut scenes, because there are noticeable skips where it's like you were watching a DVD and you clicked the >> button, and such huge chunks shown in the trailers that didn't make it into the final product. The biggest issue was that the film started as this political thriller and psychological thriller (due to all the unstable personalities in the Suicide Squad), lots of secret meetings and psychoanalysis, but the film resolves its ending with...the Friendship Spell. It felt like some studio executive saying the film was too high-brow, so dumb it down, would you please? That did not please me at least.

Ultimate Edition Promo - I'm guessing a lot of very interesting content, like the Joker's scenes, will be found exclusively on the Blu-Ray/DVD, coming soon to a store/stream near you. They're holding out on you.

And a special note on Harley Quinn - This was a very interesting topic. There will be criticisms of Harley for being over-sexualised and acting too much like a dumb blonde, with an on & off accent. My interpretation is that, yes, it's an act...not by Margot Robbie who portrays the character, but by Harley herself. She deliberately plays dumb, acting like a cartoon character true to her origins, to elicit responses SHE wants from OTHER people, because people let their guard down when they think they're smarter than her. When they do that, they give her more information than they should, and she uses it to psychoanalyse them. It's very clear she does that at least once in the film. In fact, in a moment of weakness, that act fell apart, showing it was an act. I thought the whole performance was so much more clever than people give it credit for, that it's almost meta-theatrical; Margot Robbie did to the audience/critics what Harley is doing to other characters. If you hadn't seen the film yet, pls watch for this and see if you agree.

Final Verdict - This really isn't BvS. This was really quite good IMHO, despite of clear Studio Meddling. There's a backlash from BvS among critics, but don't let that stop you from seeing this film. 4 out of 5 exploding heads.
    Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
    More action at Champions Online Comics @ http://co-comics.webs.com
    edited August 2016

And a special note on Harley Quinn - This was a very interesting topic. There will be criticisms of Harley for being over-sexualised and acting too much like a dumb blonde, with an on & off accent. My interpretation is that, yes, it's an act...not by Margot Robbie who portrays the character, but by Harley herself. She deliberately plays dumb, acting like a cartoon character true to her origins, to elicit responses SHE wants from OTHER people, because people let their guard down when they think they're smarter than her. When they do that, they give her more information than they should, and she uses it to psychoanalyse them. It's very clear she does that at least once in the film. In fact, in a moment of weakness, that act fell apart, showing it was an act. I thought the whole performance was so much more clever than people give it credit for, that it's almost meta-theatrical; Margot Robbie did to the audience/critics what Harley is doing to other characters. If you hadn't seen the film yet, pls watch for this and see if you agree.

Harley is the only one of the three evil psychologists ( rather unfair stereotype if you ask me ) in Gotham to actually use psychology as a weapon. Hugo Strange tends to rely on brute strength ( pay attention to the comics not that stupid game guys U_U ) and Scarecrow uses fear gas.

Right after that Harley one shots Ivy :P

Even Batman cant be sure if shes a complete moron or criminal genius. I also like how when ever you see Harley's thought bubbles in the comic its a completely different persona than the one she show outwards. She is in fact rather cold and emotionless.

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Why doesn't someone just shoot her. You can't psychoanalyze a bullet.

Well, unless it's this bullet...

edited August 2016
    Karla Sofen psychoanalyzes people, but she does it as part of trying to guess what they're going to do. She doesn't usually manipulate people... unless it's because she wants someone to keep her company at night....

But Karla is a Marvel character also known as Moonstone.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    Sometimes all you can do is to try to do it right next time. He wants to avoid doing it wrong... but by doing nothing at all, and life abhors a vacuum...
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    edited December 2016
    so after watching it several times... I think that Enchantress, Incubus, and Diablo ALL speak Nahuatl(the language used by the Aztek/Maya) at one point or another in the movie.

Also, Nepht nailed it on Harley. She several times in the movie switches between crazy/moody and calm/calculating.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters