test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

how are players getting such high dps numbers?

akaara1akaara1 Posts: 174 Arc User
How are players getting such high DPS numbers when doing cosmics? Am I missing some kind of buff or device to up my numbers? I am normally in the middle 82 to 84k damage versus Kiga, middle of the pack or high end middle.

Comments

• Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    There aren't really great secrets. Take an offensive passive in an offensive role, take a well performing attack power and some buffs/debuffs, pick stats that fit the form you're planning on using, get gear that fits those stats, know when to block and when you don't need to (having abilities that let you block less is handy), and then just blaze away.
  • Options
    royalflvshroyalflvsh Posts: 165 Arc User
    Do you have two Active Offenses? I didn't and that was holding me back. Now I'm usually in the top 5 or so. Once I came in first place with the Ape. And with TK Swords, any of that's an achievement!

Building for spike damage is also a necessity, especially for Teleiosaurus. Make sure your primary gear mods are at least rank 7 as well. Make sure you're maxing out your chances of getting critical hits. Every little bit helps, if you want that high score.
  • Options
    royalflvshroyalflvsh Posts: 165 Arc User
    The guys consistently at the top are invariably power armor builds, btw.
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    But PA is going to see a revamp soon, partly to tone it down, so may not be wise to plan around a PA build to be auto top of the charts.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    morigosamorigosa Posts: 710 Arc User
    I had a heavy weapons character that topped the charts fairly reliably for a while - but that was due to combining decent damage with AoE healing from Absorb Heat. It's possible that some of the high scores you're seeing now are similarly not due to just DPS.
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    Yes indeed. I had a healer with Medical Nanites spamming Arcane Vitality near the top of the charts last time I used her, and she isn't even maxed out for healing. If you just want your name at the top of that chart there's easier ways than dps.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    gradii said:

I'd rather see the charts removed or only show personal performance to better encourage teamwork over epeen.

I agree with this!
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    akaara1 said:

gradii said:

I'd rather see the charts removed or only show personal performance to better encourage teamwork over epeen.

I agree with this!
    You realize that, as long as you exceed minimum score, the chart has no effect? The people who care don't use the chart anyway, they use parsers.
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    Not dying at all during a Cosmic fight has a nice effect on the score, since you lose a lot of points each time.

I have two builds that usually break the top 10:

bestial supernatural with a rotation of two powers and lots of self-heal: you get points for doing damage and for healing (yourself)

healer with med nanites/sentinel aura/AoE heals--simply massive amount of healing to all nearby heroes for entire fight

Another way to score high without using power armor is to use a lifedrain type of attack, where you damage the opponent and heal simultaneously. If the heal is an AoE, so much the better.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    good pointers. I normally don't die during cosmics, except Eidolon.
  • Options
    pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    Unleashed AT. Spam Dragon's Wrath as fast as you can. There's also a similar spammable attack from Claws, but I can't remember the name offhand.

Note that ATs do not suffer from the same Diminishing Returns restrictions that Freeforms do, so they have highre max damage potential.

There was also a trick using OV gloves that the PA were using that will probably be fixed soon.

Also, as noted, Healers often top the charts.

I have a couple character min-maxed to top the charts, but I rarely play them because they are pretty boring.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
  • Options
    zamuelpwezamuelpwe Posts: 668 Arc User

Note that ATs do not suffer from the same Diminishing Returns restrictions that Freeforms do, so they have highre max damage potential.

And on that note, the Soldier AT can do surprisingly well. Main drawback is the squishyness but a good tank mitigates that.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
  • Options
    servantrulesservantrules Posts: 312 Arc User
    DOTS is also a factor. They seem small, but they stack up really fast and significant by the end of a long fight. Just make sure it's a single target DOT and not AoE (especially with Donkey Kong and Kiga).
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    I'm getting higher, in support role.
    Lifedrain with the adv- i get points for dps and for heals.
    Aoed- increases my damage​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    servantrulesservantrules Posts: 312 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    If your concern is the overall score during cosmics, also remember:

DON'T GET KO'ed (or minimize it as much as possible, especially with Kiga).

I am not sure of the numbers, but there seems to be a penalty applied every time it happens.
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    Be in a party with the tank and continuously use teleport to teammate, then go nuts without having to consider your personal responsibility to protect yourself or heed AOE warnings.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    With every high end gear I aquire, the better I am doing.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    mine are mostly in mercenery gear​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    Roll an Unleashed. Oh someone mentioned it already....

Do it anyway.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User

nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User

Be in a party with the tank and continuously use teleport to teammate, then go nuts without having to consider your personal responsibility to protect yourself or heed AOE warnings.

What?
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.