test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What is the state of power armor? And how well can you mix the melee and ranged?

Also one more question if I go pure ranged can I just pick the laser powers? And yes anyone who knows ive been working on my tk build im going power armor for my cosmic concept I think they look and sound much more like blaster cosmic energy powers:) Although im not giving up on my tk ill go back to him some day for another concept.

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,740 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Ranged PA is still good, though it requires a bit more skill, energy management, and practice to break in than most other sets. It can still attain very high dps. Laser Sword is pretty strong in base dps, but does have issues of being difficult to build around, the mini-set for LS is convoluted and of questionable value overall, and Laser Sword's AoE potential isn't very good on its own.

Ranged PA requires using multiple slotted powers to get the most out of it- namely having at least 2 toggles toggles running in the background while you use a 3rd slot (another toggle or a charged move) for optimal dps. But those toggles lockout non-slot PA powers for their duration (w/ a small delay each time). This makes trying to use non-PA or non-slotted PA powers w/ PA toggles cumbersome. It can work, but its kinda clunky and not really advised in general. There are some decent non-toggle Ranged PA powers ya can still use for their own merits, though.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • xoriandruidxoriandruid Posts: 311 Arc User
    So basically I cant just pick lasers to get the most out of it and not feel clunky?
    May be easier to ask- what sort of powers you want to try to mix between TK and PA- or at least the ones ur most interested in?
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User

So basically I cant just pick lasers to get the most out of it and not feel clunky?

What defines 'pure lasers'? You can use concussor/eye beam/chest beam; it's not the optimal build but it's not bad, and it's all beams.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    This is the configuration I am using, with the addition of Electric Form to boost all the particle damage.

What defines 'pure lasers'? You can use concussor/eye beam/chest beam; it's not the optimal build but it's not bad, and it's all beams.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!

This is the configuration I am using, with the addition of Electric Form to boost all the particle damage.

Really and it works out? Can you show this build? I was debating doing an ele/pa blaster for a while.

Ummm what do you mean what defines it? Is this not about power armor? Considering anything to do with lasers? And im pretty sure there was more then those.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User

Ummm what do you mean what defines it?

Which powers do you think of as lasers (none specifically say anything of the sort). You could add fire all weapons, it looks lasery too.
    This is the build after I get the OV Utility secondary with the big cost discount bonus. That's why it has 2 points in Aggression. If energy were an issue I'd have more points in Insight.

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Iron Pharaoh 6

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Ego (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Scourge
    Level 6: Quick Recovery
    Level 9: Ascetic
    Level 12: Wordly
    Level 15: Boundless Reserves
    Level 18: Daredevil
    Level 21: Amazing Stamina

Powers:
    Level 1: Power Bolts
    Level 1: Concussor Beam (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Eye Beam (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Electric Form (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Energy Shield (Rank 2, Phalanx Defense System)
    Level 14: Overdrive
    Level 17: Concentration
    Level 20: Reconstruction Circuits (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Energy Wave (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Palliate (Absolve)
    Level 29: Chest Beam (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
    Level 35: Lock N Load
    Level 38: Bionic Shielding (Rank 2)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Flight (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Acrobatics

Specializations:
    Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
    Ego: Insight (1/3)
    Ego: Aggression (2/2)
    Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
    Ego: Exploit Opening (1/2)
    Ego: Sixth Sense (1/3)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
    Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork

This is the build after I get the OV Utility secondary with the big cost discount bonus. That's why it has 2 points in Aggression. If energy were an issue I'd have more points in Insight.

Super Stats:

Talents:

Powers:

Travel Powers:

Specializations:

Thats pretty cool but whats the point in using electric powers if you arent going to use any of the attacks:)?

Ummm what do you mean what defines it?

Which powers do you think of as lasers (none specifically say anything of the sort). You could add fire all weapons, it looks lasery too.
    Anything without traditional weapons sorry, any blasting powers.
    edited September 2016

Super Stats:

Talents:

Powers:

Travel Powers:

Specializations:

Thats pretty cool but whats the point in using electric powers if you arent going to use any of the attacks:)?
    He's not intending to use any Elec powers here. He just took Elec Form cause it boosts all Energy damage, which includes Particle dmg (ie. the PA 'Beam' powers). Elec Form is a good dps passive for this, though one could consider changing to Targeting Comp or Night Warrior as well (or AoPM if going the Hybrid route).
    So can I get away with just doing all the particle powers or no? I also hear the sword is good sustained dps so is that viable?
    Yeah you can do fine w/ an all Particle dmg build. Laser Sword is good, but it kinda requires its own build to work around, which a ranged dps build using PA toggles on won't be a very practical fit for.
    flowcyto said:

Yeah you can do fine w/ an all Particle dmg build. Laser Sword is good, but it kinda requires its own build to work around, which a ranged dps build using PA toggles on won't be a very practical fit for.

I see, well assuming a toggle that boost particle dps would help, from my understanding sword is part of particle dps. I will have to look again.
    Again, due to the way PA toggles lockout other powers, it won't work too well usually. Also cause its kinda redundant from a dps perspective, as most of the beam-based PA powers all do high single-target dps when combined, yet LS is mostly high single-target dps too.
    Yes, I did consider Targeting Computer, but I have that on a couple other builds and wanted to see how this works out with Electric Form. Chest Beam is my AoE ranged attack. Not a very big AoE true. Note that Energy Wave is also boosted by Electric Form.
    JwLmWoa.png

Yes, I did consider Targeting Computer, but I have that on a couple other builds and wanted to see how this works out with Electric Form. Chest Beam is my AoE ranged attack. Not a very big AoE true. Note that Energy Wave is also boosted by Electric Form.

Oh I see why you picked it now, maybe I should do that myself and pick some aoe for force.
    Ok here is the link to what I have so far on my build its my first attempt, I know im sure I did a few things wrong here:)

http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html?v=13&n=&d=1578YMNPQ3an07091059703980515039O059I0037079U019P05FK059R009F00000000000cZ50GF011OX
    Refining that build a bit:

Super Stats:

Talents:
    Level 6: Ascetic
    Level 9: Quick Recovery

Powers:
    Level 6: Concentration
    Level 11: Eye Beam (Rank 2, 20/20 Fission)
    Level 17: Plasma Beam (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 26: Energy Wave (Reverse Polarity)
    Level 29: Chest Beam (Rank 2, Point Blank Blast)
    Level 32: Force Shield (Rank 2, Force Sheathe)
    Level 35: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
    Level 38: Rebirth

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Jet Pack (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Teleportation (Rank 2)

Specializations:
    Ego: Mental Endurance (3/3)
    Ego: Sixth Sense (2/3)
    Guardian: Make It Count (3/3)
    Guardian: Tenacious (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)

Kept most of the attacks in there. gears mostly for Ego, but also a decent amount of Con and Rec.
    edited September 2016
    flowcyto said:

Refining that build a bit:

Super Stats:

Talents:
    Level 6: Ascetic
    Level 9: Quick Recovery

Powers:
    Level 6: Concentration
    Level 11: Eye Beam (Rank 2, 20/20 Fission)
    Level 17: Plasma Beam (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 26: Energy Wave (Reverse Polarity)
    Level 29: Chest Beam (Rank 2, Point Blank Blast)
    Level 32: Force Shield (Rank 2, Force Sheathe)
    Level 35: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
    Level 38: Rebirth

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Jet Pack (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Teleportation (Rank 2)

Specializations:
    Ego: Mental Endurance (3/3)
    Ego: Sixth Sense (2/3)
    Guardian: Make It Count (3/3)
    Guardian: Tenacious (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)

Kept most of the attacks in there. gears mostly for Ego, but also a decent amount of Con and Rec.

Honestly im kind of against the meta con that everyone goes for on ranged builds, personally I like a little danger, is it really that needed? I hear pa has allot of energy issues. I was also picking the mental heal for themeatic purposes, any reason why you dont like it? Also im not comfortable with picking up energy shield so late for solo play.

Also why vindacater over the actual ranged tree? Thanks for tweeking it everything else looks great.
    If you wanna be squishier and go Con-less w/ an offensive passive, ur free to. Dun complain if ya die more often, though, cause it gives you less leeway overall when tackling harder content. Even Con SS doesn't fix being squishy w/ an offensive passive- it just give you mroe room for error. Also cause it makes ES/NM the best dps AO.

I tried not to pick many non-PA things for the reasons cited earlier, so that's why I nixed MR for a normal AD. You could put it back if you wanted, but MR won't be too powerful w/o much bonus heal, its kinda costly, and ur dealing w/ PA toggles potentially locking it out frequently.

if you want force shield earlier, that's fine, but you'll have to push other powers later.

Vindicator is the pure dps tree. Avenger is okay, but Guardicator's synergy usually out-does it for ranged builds, esp if ur not using maintains for Relentless Assault or not using Avenger Mastery.
    edited September 2016
    flowcyto said:

If you wanna be squishier and go Con-less w/ an offensive passive, ur free to. Dun complain if ya die more often, though, cause it gives you less leeway overall when tackling harder content. Even Con SS doesn't fix being squishy w/ an offensive passive- it just give you mroe room for error. Also cause it makes ES/NM the best dps AO.

I tried not to pick many non-PA things for the reasons cited earlier, so that's why I nixed MR for a normal AD. You could put it back if you wanted, but MR won't be too powerful w/o much bonus heal, its kinda costly, and ur dealing w/ PA toggles potentially locking it out frequently.

if you want force shield earlier, that's fine, but you'll have to push other powers later.

Vindicator is the pure dps tree. Avenger is okay, but Guardicator's synergy usually out-does it for ranged builds, esp if ur not using maintains for Relentless Assault or not using Avenger Mastery.

flowcyto said:

Why would I complain? I know mmorpgs and what squishy is lol. Oh I see I forgot about the toggles thing, so basically I dont want any toggles then? So res is ok to use?

Taking a look at vindactor your right its blatantly better then the avenger they should fix that lol.

From my understanding mental endurance is not very good compared to insight if going ranged? And im guessing plasma burn isnt very good compared to third ranks? Again thank you.
    Post edited by xoriandruid on
    edited September 2016
    May want to edit out the redundant quote :p
    Oh I see I forgot about the toggles thing, so basically I dont want any toggles then? So res is ok to use?
    I think ur getting basic terminology confused. You have toggles now, and they are essential to the build (Concussor/Eye Beam, Recon Circuits). You just want to rely on attacks or heals from other sets less when using them. When I/we said 'toggles', we didn't mean toggled forms (like Conc or FotT) but toggle-type attacks.

And yes, I generally would get Insight for ranged builds. It helps give extra cost discount w/o using Int SS. And yea, Melta Cannon isn't that great imo- low proc rate on PBurn, and rank3 gives you 20% more dmg instead so its more reliable dps.
    flowcyto said:

May want to edit out the redundant quote :p

Oh I see I forgot about the toggles thing, so basically I dont want any toggles then? So res is ok to use?
    I think ur getting basic terminology confused. You have toggles now, and they are essential to the build (Concussor/Eye Beam, Recon Circuits). You just want to rely on attacks or heals from other sets less when using them. When I/we said 'toggles', we didn't mean toggled forms (like Conc or FotT) but toggle-type attacks.

And yes, I generally would get Insight for ranged builds. It helps give extra cost discount w/o using Int SS. And yea, Melta Cannon isn't that great imo- low proc rate on PBurn, and rank3 gives you 20% more dmg instead so its more reliable dps.

Alright.
    The reason why I went with Energy Shield (Rank 2, Phalanx Defense System) is that I get the defense bonus all the time when I am using my PA ranged attacks. At 40 with good gear the energy from Force Sheath isn't necessary. Same goes for the picks I made for the Ego Tree. I took Bionic Shielding because I can activate it before I attack, then I can turn on Reconstruction Circuits. That gives me a bit of a buffer as I hopefully very quickly deal with my enemies.
    JwLmWoa.png

The reason why I went with Energy Shield (Rank 2, Phalanx Defense System) is that I get the defense bonus all the time when I am using my PA ranged attacks. At 40 with good gear the energy from Force Sheath isn't necessary. Same goes for the picks I made for the Ego Tree. I took Bionic Shielding because I can activate it before I attack, then I can turn on Reconstruction Circuits. That gives me a bit of a buffer as I hopefully very quickly deal with my enemies.

I see, hmmm so why not tk shield that way you still get defense for a alttle bit after you block.
    edited September 2016
    Phalanx Defense automatically turns on once you have an PA slotted toggle activated, unlike other blocks w/ linger effects that only activate after you've blocked. Its a pretty good adv for ranged PA using toggles for small dmgRes it gives, though it does cost 3 adv points.
    flowcyto said:

Phalanx Defense automatically turns on once you have an PA slotted toggle activated, unlike other blocks w/ linger effects that only activate after you've blocked. Its a pretty good adv for ranged PA using toggles for small dmgRes it gives, though it does cost 3 adv points.

Ahh I see, I havent looked at it but tk shield has lingering effects to but maybe not as much as this.
    The TK and Force shields require you to toggle off your PA powers so you can activate them. They last for 8 seconds; so, for me, that's a lot of extra fiddly to worry about in a power set which already has lots of fiddly in it.
    JwLmWoa.png