test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

FC.31.20160914.0328b.2 - Sorcery Changes

Comments

• riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    Had some time to mess around with the new stuff in the later hours.. .so here goes

Feedback

New Power: Enchanter
    Passive
    Increases Magic, Dimensional and Toxic damage. Gives Magic, Dimensional and Toxic resistance.

This is a potent passive. It actually buffs Infernal powers better and provides a wider range of damage resistance than Pestilence. Also, was it intended to create an offensive passive that resists most of the damage types found in the new Warzone? It's weak against energy, physical & elemental attacks --- so it may be fine. Personally I'd tone down how much it buffs toxics. It should buff toxic by 1/2 as much as it buffs magic damage.

Pillar of Poz
    Increased cooldown to 10 seconds.
    Moved the knock on this power to an advantage.
    Reduced damage.
    When used this power now leaves behind a 15' symbol for 10 seconds that heals allies within it.
    New Advantage: Immense Power. Knocks targets back.
    New Advantage: Dilemma. Applies Jinxed to targets.
    New Advantage: Contempt. Applies/Refreshes Furious on you.
    New Advantage: Mystical. Gives Pillar of Poz a chance to apply Mystified to you.

What a wonderful surprise. Seriously wonderful. This power has been greatly improved and the sigil it leaves behind that buffs is quite nice. A+ here.

New Power: Star Barrage
    Note: This power is still being worked on.
    Ranged AoE damage. Will have a chance to apply Mystified.
    New Advantage: Light Everlasting. If fully maintained applies a heal over time to allies nearby your target.

Wow.. another great power. On a INT/EGO/PRE build using leveling gear, I was quite pleased with the dps. It uses a bit of energy but otherwise can't think of any way it could be improved. I don't like name.. why not call it something simple like "Magic Barrage"? or "Magic Missiles"?

Arcane Vitality
    New Advantage: Mystical. Gives a chance to apply Mystified to you.

if this power is gong to have a cool down, why not just make it a non-targeted AOE heal centered on the caster? Anyone in a 25ft radius of the caster (including the caster) gets hit with it and healed. It's never worked great as a targeted heal anyway. I wouldn't mind a nice, simple, easy to use AOE heal that didn't require targeting to use.

New Effect: Mystified
    Decreases the cost of Sorcery, Celestial, Darkness and Infernal powers briefly. Stacks up to 3 times.
    Note: Powers have not been tagged yet for this effect to work.

New Effect: Jinxed
    Reduces damage and snares enemies briefly. When this effect expires enemies are knocked down.

I like these new secondary effects. They add to the magic feel of the Sorcery set.

Final Feedback

So it looks like we borrowed some powers and visual fx from the Lemurian Power Armor Device. I love it. Those have been abilities a few players (like myself) have been asked for previously. I like the new stuff. It creates a really smooth attack chain for Sorcery. Something which has been lacking.

Overall, I'm pleased as a player. I'm excited to see how things progress. I'm a little sad about illumination and arcane vitality. Those are two powers that need buffs not nerfs. They are hardly used as is and I'm worried current changes are going to make them even less popular.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    aiqa said:

The energy cost on the other hand is overly low, the activation is high but the maintained cost is silly low. So I would rather have the power be a bit more competitive with other similar powers, and get a somewhat significant energy cost.

I'm actually okay with a high initial cost, but lower maintained cost. It encourages players to try and maintain as long as possible, and since it's a mobile power, they don't have to stop maintaining to avoid a fire patch/etc. Definitely agree about the damage though, as it's pretty underwhelming. If it was changed to tick every 0.5 seconds (same cost per tick) it'd probably be quite reasonable.

Storm Summoner suffers from the same problem since it's a copypasta of Invocation.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    1. Spellcaster Form needs to scale with either INT and PRE
      All the Ranging forms in the game already have 2 STAT Choices, limiting Spellcaster in only 1 Stats REALLY kills the so called Build Flexibility. Therefore making it scale with either INT or PRE will encourage making DPS and Support builds as well as Hybrids of both
    2. The Cooldown needs to be REMOVED from Vala's Light, it hurts the healers and this power was one of the least favorite and used support powers. Giving it a CD will make it even more Repulsive
      Once again your target can DIE before you fully charge it! Considering all the hard new stuff we get (Cosmics and upcoming Qliphothic wars) this is not encouraging at all

What's next? Giving Psionic Healing a CD?
    3. Grimoire will get hit HARD with the pathetic nerf of Skarn's Bane. This power was fan favorite for Magic users, and seeing it getting downgraded from AoE damage to pure debuff and utility its not the best thing. now if someone who still loves this power wants to use it as main AoE, he is screwed without the escalating damage
    4. Sorcery needs an energy unlock, where is the thematic energy unlock? is it still WIP?
    ​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    avianos said:

Sorcery needs an energy unlock, where is the thematic energy unlock? is it still WIP?
    ​​
    Circle of Arcane Power :smile:
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    My feedback:

Enchanment/Curse effects:
    * how do I know if I am affected by an Enchantment?
    * how do I know if my opponent is affected by a Curse?
    * I feel like I just use powers and hope they interact the way I think
    * power descriptions need labeling, or perhaps the Spellcaster power needs a list

Spellcaster Toggle:
    * please remove the automatic VFX; most other toggles do not have one, and it can mess with auras that characters already have
    * not always sure how to proc the toggle
    * would be great if it boosts ranged damage and Healing, not melee damage

Vala's Light
    * if you keep the CD on this power, please increase the healing on tap significantly
    * increased range is great

Star Barrage
    * the vfx really has to ramp up more with ranking the power
    * damage seems fairly low compared to similar maintains, especially since you're rooted--my test toon could barely hit 2000 DPS with blue gear and purple secondaries

Pillar of Poz
    * love the new version

Soul Beam
    * love the VFX and animation
    * damage is okay, but not top rate
    * with the enchant/curse benefits, the damage is high . . . if you can get both

Great start

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • notyuunotyuu Posts: 1,121 Arc User
    AoE investigation

Pillar of poz: it's nice, however the healing rune could do with a bit of a buff, as ~50hp per tick isn't going to be very... useful.

Storm summoner: dps is little over half that of spark storm... so it really needs to be changed to tick every 0.5 seconds.. and to have a slight damage buff.

skarns bane: sooo.. it's a T3 power.. that does damage comparable venomous/fire/ice breath, sure it's got some utility.. but that is nowhere near strong enough to make up for the lack of damage output [plus this nerf pretty much kills what little combat capability that the grimoire had..making the already poor AT worse off]

Star barrage: the VFX needs to intensify more as you rank it.. past that, the healing advantage on it doesn't seem to be working..like at all.

on a side note, could we get a lazer version of soul beam in like power armour.. a 100ft particle maintain for it would be nice.
    In all things, a calm heart must prevail.

Member of Paragon Dawn: Because some people like friendly helpful communities.

eOGi6Cv.png9rfvawn.pngr3iD4nS.png

Yeah some things are broken... no I don't use/abuse them.. where would be the fun in that?
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Make Palliate work on teammates too.

Reposting because not surprisingly my message got deleted for no reason.

Addendum:

Should change the Grimoire into the Support role. Its been needing it since forever.
    As a response to someone asking Kaiserin why they are so inconsistent when it comes to "focusing on the tiers" balance of things. Which got deleted, too.
    Also what's the deal with tier inconsistencies. Why does tier 1 Frenzy outperform tier 3 Two Gun Mojo in damage and utility? I thought tier balance was a focus yet everything other than Bestial Supernatural gets the shaft. Supernatural (except bestial), despite its new group of powers, is still under performing​​
    Post edited by crypticbuxom on
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Did some more testing of Vala's light. I'm afraid this isn't going to make me a lot of friends. I tested 3-man hard in the PH and my health bar didn't move. Of course I was layering Radiant Sanctuary, Sentinel Aura, Willpower, Light Everlasting, and POZ's Healing rune. AOAC was my passive in support mode.

With a full 8 Stacks of Compassion & 441 PRE:

Your Sentinel Aura gives 252 Health Points to you.
    Your Light Everlasting gives 231 Health Points to you.
    Your Willpower gives 111 Health Points to you.
    Your Healing Rune gives 231 Health Points to you with Healing Rune.

With AOAC and INT secondaries the cool down was negligible. This was ticking constantly once I got the rhythm down. People are welcome to replicate it. But with how Vala's advantage has been buffed there may be some wisdom in adding a 3-second cooldown to Vala's. I'm not saying I agree 100%. But I can see Kaiserin's reasoning behind it. With the radiant sigils on top, i'm sure I was hitting 1k heal-per-second.

If you know what you're doing you can turn the new Vala's into a rolling HOT healing machine. The problem is most players aren't going to figure this out.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Hmm, might be cool if it was a PBAoE heal using an animation something like Pillar of Poz (i.e. a stronger heal than what is on PoP). Maybe with an Advantage that removes healing buffs from enemies caught in the burst.

Arcane Vitality
    New Advantage: Mystical. Gives a chance to apply Mystified to you.

if this power is gong to have a cool down, why not just make it a non-targeted AOE heal centered on the caster? Anyone in a 25ft radius of the caster (including the caster) gets hit with it and healed. It's never worked great as a targeted heal anyway. I wouldn't mind a nice, simple, easy to use AOE heal that didn't require targeting to use.

JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    edited September 2016
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Circle of Arcane Power :smile:

NOOOOOOOOOOOo
    Nobody likes being Stationary, especially now that DEVs are making us AVOID AoEs by moving

I personally hate that I have to recast it all them time, and its not very good for my pet master-Little DPS-Little Healer who runs INT/PRE/CON. Speaking of who, he will have his Skarn's Bane nerfed, JOY!

A Magic DPS needs its own flexibly energy unlock, which possible could use the new Debuff-Buffs as Trigger mechanic
    notyuu wrote: »
    skarns bane: sooo.. it's a T3 power.. that does damage comparable venomous/fire/ice breath, sure it's got some utility.. but that is nowhere near strong enough to make up for the lack of damage output [plus this nerf pretty much kills what little combat capability that the grimoire had..making the already poor AT worse off]

Tell me about it, the First AT I started CO with is getting worse and worse (I still have the character)​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    @riverocean - I think (I hope...) they're talking about Vala's Light having a cooldown rather than AV. Which is fine, as a heal, and needs no tweaking.
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    I do wonder what the response would be to turning Circle of Arcane Power into an energy unlock which grants energy based on "tapping into arcane energies by applying "Hexed" or "Jinxed" to targets. Arcane Power also grants you minor energy whilst affected by "Mystified"."?
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User

I do wonder what the response would be to turning Circle of Arcane Power into an energy unlock which grants energy based on "tapping into arcane energies by applying "Hexed" or "Jinxed" to targets. Arcane Power also grants you minor energy whilst affected by "Mystified"."?

RIP all the non-magic builds that need for their energy hog powers.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009

AOAC was my passive in support mode.

With a full 8 Stacks of Compassion & 441 PRE:

With AOAC and INT secondaries the cool down was negligible. This was ticking constantly once I got the rhythm down. People are welcome to replicate it. But with how Vala's advantage has been buffed there may be some wisdom in adding a 3-second cooldown to Vala's. I'm not saying I agree 100%. But I can see Kaiserin's reasoning behind it. With the radiant sigils on top, i'm sure I was hitting 1k heal-per-second.

If you know what you're doing you can turn the new Vala's into a rolling HOT healing machine. The problem is most players aren't going to figure this out.

This sort of build is cool and all . . . but an Int-based, AoAC healer is a super corner case.

Also, trying hitting that full charge on Vala's each time in a serious combat, when you really need such healing. Don't think that's going to happen so much. Vala's self-root adds another issue in challenging content.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User

@riverocean - I think (I hope...) they're talking about Vala's Light having a cooldown rather than AV. Which is fine, as a heal, and needs no tweaking.

He was, AV doesn't have a CD.
  • kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,089 Cryptic Developer
    Sorcery will likely get its own energy unlock based around curses/enchantments.
    I will be going through powers and effects and making it clear what effects count as those.​​
  • soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    kaizerin said:

I will be going through powers and effects and making it clear what effects count as those.​​

Good to hear! No, seriously, that is awesome.
    sterga said:

RIP all the non-magic builds that need for their energy hog powers.
    Yeah, I thought of that a few minutes after I posted :blush: ....which is why I am pleased to hear the following:
    kaizerin said:

:smiley:
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited September 2016

i'm sure I was hitting 1k heal-per-second.

In the new content 1k HPS is far to low, and easily outdone by all the other popular AoE heals.
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    kaizerin said:

All I humbly ask is that it be done in a way that makes it somewhat usable across more frameworks than just magic. So, for example, somebody who wanted to mix sorcery along with something else--say, martial arts, energy projector, munitions, etc could still make use of it.

Perhaps...oh right. The font coloring:

Suggestion: Sorcery's energy unlock could work something like this: Upon cursing a foe or dealing any type of damage to a foe while you are affected by an enchantment, gain energy over 6 seconds. Triggering this effect multiple times refreshes the duration. This energy scales with your intelligence or presence (whichever is higher) and is also affected by your recovery to a lesser degree.
    Post edited by aesica on
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    edited September 2016
    My feedback for Sorcery Changes

So after having tested the Sorcery changes, I'll comment on the powers and effects I've messed with so far...

Eldritch Blast

At first I wasn't too much of a fan of the Root removal but it's not so bad (at least for me) since I don't rely on it personally (and roots don't really stop any NPCs from still attacking you anyway).

Suggestions for Eldritch Blast:

The Mystified mechanic seems to be a little strange at the moment? It's value is set waaay too low (0.05%) and should probably be something substantial like 5%.

I think that the chance to apply Mystified to self should be 100% with a full charge at Rank 3 with Eldritch Blast. It should probably escalate like so:

Rank 1 - 12 - 50% chance to apply Mystified to self.

Rank 2 - 12 - 75% chance to apply Mystified to self.

Rank 3 - 12 - 100% chance to apply Mystified to self.

Reason for this is that this is one of the main effects that will count towards the Spellcaster form stacking...so it should be reliable so that players don't simply opt to go for Concentration instead because it is easier to use. Both should be an option but Spellcaster should be more attractive to Sorcery users. Adjusting Mystified to have a 100% chance to apply on full charge definitely helps this.

Pillar of Poz

Actually quite annoyed that I will have to find a place for this power because it has suddenly become quite attractive. :tongue:

Seriously though...the amount of prettiness that the rune gains as you rank up is awesome! :heart:

The healing effect should probably show up on status bar with an icon...

Suggestions for Pillar of Poz:

1) Allow the Healing Rune which Pillar of Poz spawns to also deal minor magic damage (DoT maybe?) to enemies who stand within it.

Pillar of Poz is innately losing its utility value (knock), which can be quite useful for the additional damage done to enemies via fall damage. I realize this is being replaced by having a HoT effect added but having the spawned rune deal damage to enemies who run and stand into it would be a great addition.

2) Allow the Healing Rune effect to count as an Enchantment whilst a player is actively being healed within it.

3) Assuming "Jinxed" counts as a Curse...allow Pillar of Poz to apply "Jinxed" innately. There are so many other possible effects going on via advantages it seems a little unnecessary to have Jinxed as an advantage when the power has had its innate damage reduced. It feels like more of a utility power now, which is fine but shouldn't be overwhelmed with so many different advantages.

Star Barrage

Interesting power...kinda costly but that's not too much of an issue... I can't say too much since the power is still in development.

Suggestions for Star Barrage:

Animation wise...I am thinking it should probably use Radiance's animation with the whole hand waving gig with the barrage bits flying out from each hand.

The current "arm outstretched and standing still" looks too Power Armor/non magical to me at the moment and that may be a bit of a problem for Sorcery concepts. Personally I'd like to see it have more of a magical look to it.

I also think that the VFX for the actual projectiles should be flashier as it ramps up in rank. Aside from that the power itself (in terms of other VFX) looks very nice.

Also...consider renaming it: "Luathon's Barrage"...(lore nod to a set of spells which deal with light based attacks and effects).

Banish

Was actually expecting this to be a power from the Sovereign Sons Botono's...but it's the magical containment effect instead.

I saw some comments about its hold value being "OP" which I don't see myself...since the shield portion is not actually a hold...it's a Containment Field effect which reduces incoming damage by 50%....the same as actual Containment Field does on LIVE. The shield and the hold are separate but proc together. You can view it like the containment field effect reducing damage to the hold to "make it last longer", which is a funny considering...anyway.

Banish's shield portion seems to last 1-2 seconds longer than Containment Field's shield, but I guess this is why it costs a little more than Containment Field to cast?

Suggestions for Banish:

Change the character animation to use the one Fireball uses and have the "Banishment Ball" hover and grow in the middle of the character's hands like Fireball does. Current animation for "Banish" is a little weird.

Spellcaster

Interesting new form power! As it has been mentioned before, it would be good if it was standardized to other forms and actually scaled on two stats...so INT and PRE (as mentioned by other testers) would be a great thing to implement. (Although...Enrage and MA forms are solo scaling forms...so they are...anomalies maybe? If the intent is to standardize forms etc, if not then Spellcaster could remain INT only scaling.)

Many of the "issues" I have with Spellcaster are likely going to be solved by making Mystified less random to proc by giving Eldritch Blast a 100% chance to proc it as well as all of the necessary powers being tagged as granting "Enchantments" and "Curses".

Suggestions for Spellcaster:

Charge up animation should probably be stolen from the Mysticism Table interactions instead of a direct copy from Manipulator. It looks much more magical and fits.

IF Spellcaster is changed to have a better animation (as suggested above) then the visuals from that charge up should probably be made tintable.

Soul Beam

Power seems too costly but it is very pretty looking.

Suggestions for Soul Beam:

- The power cost for this ability is presumably "balanced" on the assumption that players will be only using it when paired with curses or enchantments...it should probably be lowered because it still requires two effects to be present constantly in order to get the maximum amount of damage out of it.
    - Consider just giving Soul Beam a 20% damage boost if target is affected by a Curse and scrap the Enchantment requirement. As it currently feels like a very very forced set of interactions which isn't a great way to go, it works in some instances but for a straight up maintain DPS power for Sorcery, it should probably be much simpler.

Enchanter Passive

The passive seems very odd to me. It feels like it may be dipping into too much with what it is trying to cover. It feels like this was only done because some of the Sorcery additions will be staying Toxic Damage instead of Magic damage, which is a shame because the Supernatural set doesn't really need any more additions.

Since it's a new passive, I think it could do with being a bit more flash and attractive, it is currently a little on the plain side, so I'd suggest the following:

Suggestion for Enchanter Passive:

If I were to re do it...it'd be something like:

"You deal an additional XX% Magic & Dimensional Damage. You gain XX% (smaller value) Paranormal Damage Resistance and an additional XX% (larger value) Magic and Dimensional Damage Resistance. You also gain an additional XX% Toxic Damage (half of Magic and Dimensional Damage boost). You gain a small amount of energy when you suffer Toxic, Magic or Dimensional Damage.

In addition you also gain a small chance to apply a Curse effect to targets who attack you, when this happens you have a 50% chance to be Mystified."

The above is a bit of a mix between what Shadow Form has going for it as well as Electric Form. I don't think the Enchanter Passive should be interacting with Crushing, Cold or Electrical damage in any way, since it doesn't buff it. It would make more sense to have those interactions if the passive buffed those damage types.

Arcane Vitality

Honestly I am actually a bit "Mystified" as to why this advantage was added to this power? Unless of course there are plans to make this ability "worse" by increasing it's energy cost.

Vala's Light

Vala's Light changes sort of leave a bad taste in the mouth...I refer specifically to the cooldown addition. The power already was not worth spamming since the whole "power" behind a charge heal is to charge it.

Suggestions for Vala's Light:

If the cooldown had to be in there somewhere? Tie the cooldown application to the purchase of Light Everlasting on Vala's Light:

Light Everlasting: "Vala's Light on full charge applies a strong HoT on your targets but prevents you from tapping into the healing energies of Vala for a short period of time."

^ Something like that.

Skarn's Bane

*is called Skarn's Bane...cannot actually apply Bane innately :trollface:*

As I said earlier, this change feels a little weird? I mean, the changes to it basically fully invalidate Hex of Suffering as a power. Sure it's not an instant application but it can apply to multiple targets in the time it takes Hex of Suffering to apply to one AND recover from its cooldown.

Suggestions for Skarn's Bane:

- Revert the change entirely.
    - Put the "Hexed on full maintain" effect as an advantage called: "Misfortune" either 1 or 2 points.

--

Non-Sorcery Changes

My opinion on Palliate's Absolve advantage change:

For the cool down timer on this ability, the range at which it removes threat should probably be increased to 100ft and the target cap should be increased.

AoE Threat Wipes come at the cost of a hefty cool down and should have an equally strong reward, 5 targets and 50ft range is not going to cut it at all.

Threat wipes are usually used when something unplanned takes place (healer or DPS grabbing aggro) so should be good enough to ensure that spending a power point on it was actually worth it, especially when it is an AoE threat wipe.

My opinion on the Illumination change:

Again...not a fan of this change, feels very strange and as if it hasn't been thought through (or if it has, we as testers have not been informed that the Celestial set is being reviewed also to account for this change).

I would be inclined to suggest leave Illumination out of this "Sorcery Update" but keep a few of the changes which have been made here for example:

- Healing on application
    - 5 second cool down
    - Innate AoE application

^ All great changes.

*Duration nerf (AGAIN)
    *Counting as Curse/Enchantment

^ Somewhat unnecessary or in the case of the duration change...very unnecessary.

The feedback here on Illumination is given without having any knowledge of possible plans to re-stabilize Celestial so it works better in light of such a change. So if there ARE plans...please at least hint at them.
    Post edited by theravenforce on
    Re: The Grimoire AT

This AT is having around 6 of it's powers adjusted in this update and will probably need to be re-built and updated in a way that makes it still useful but doesn't steal the thunder from the upcoming Hexslinger AT (which will probably be a Sorcery DPS AT? INT/END/DEX maybe? :tongue:)

With the previous announcement that there's likely going to be a Sorcery energy unlock (at last!), it is probably an idea to put that in BOTH AT's.
    edited September 2016

You didn't test Vala's and "figure out how to make it" anything. You tested Vala's + a bunch of other stuff. Go do this with only Vala's, cut out all the extra heals you're propping it up with, then do it with only Arcane Vitality. Then note the results and tell me which of these heals you think dramatically outperforms the other. Currently the numbers show AV by a wide margin.

My response would be "why would you have to remove one power to add a completely different one?"
    edited September 2016
    Vala's Light fun with numbers part 2

Okay so I remembered Vala's big feature that I like it for ( same healing on multiple targets ) so I'm gonna whip out the calculator again to see how that feature plays into things.

Arcane Vitality HPS on one target: 364
    Arcane Vitaliry HPS on 5 targets: 1280

Vala's HPS on on target (spammed): 181
    Vala's HPS on 5 targets (spammed): 909

Hm, still behind.

Okay, let's check Healing Per Second Invested ( this doesn't count the cooldown ):

Vala's HPSI on one target: 356
    Vala's HPSI on 5 targets: 1782

Okay so finally we're seeing where it's equal/better than AV. So the idea is that you cast Vala's and then you have free time in between casts to cast other things!

Okay now for funsies, let's say I'm using both, I'm casting Vala's, and then while it's on cooldown i'm maintaining arcane vitality. In one "rotation" that would net me:

1 target: 1764 healing or 360 hps
    5 targets: 5259 healing or 1073 hps

So using them together nets you less overall hps than just using Arcane Vitality, even on 5 targets. Now that the entire time is covered, the HPSI argument doesn't apply anymore since I've filled that extra time - with the competing heal no less. I maintain my assertion that the heal-over-time portion needs to be baked in and buffed based on the fact that to get equal maintained healing to other alternatives it requires other powers to be used alongside it. o/
  • waybig#9760 waybig Posts: 76 Arc User
    So it's only the adv if vala's light being buffed with a cd, why it's not writen i though it was vala's in general.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User

No, the problem is that that fits into the slot of 'inadequate for serious tank needs and overkill for sustain'.
    Allies die while charging up Vala's Light. With a CD, that problem is exacerbated.

edited September 2016
    Eldritch Blast
    Removed root.
    Can now apply Mystified, which reduces the cost of Sorcery, Infernal, Darkness and Celestial powers briefly.
    Sorceror's Whim advantage: No longer adds bonus damage. Now applies a root instead.
    New Advantage: CHant. Refreshes the duration of Hexed on the target.
    New Advantage: Blinding Light. Fully charging the power applies Illumination on you and nearby allies.

Question: is Sorcerer's Whim a Guaranteed ROOT or a Chance based on Charge?
    If the later, is the root chance 100% at fully charged Blast?
    , since previously full charge was only 50%

Also I know that blasts are meant for utility, but losing rank 3 Visuals of the Eldritch Blast for the ADVs is an AESTHETIC CRIME!​​
    Post edited by avianos on
  • darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    kaizerin said:

:)
  • kriss94kriss94 Posts: 88 Arc User
    I actually like the animation for Star Barrage.
    The rune left by poz is a bit low resolution, and could also do with some color variation on the different part at when you rank poz.
  • riltmosriltmos Posts: 204 Arc User
    notyuu said:

Also... forgot to mention

Banish: the hold seems...honestly.. unbreakable via damage [I've gone ballistic on it with a PA dps monster build and the dummy inside died before it broke] with the trade off being that the target only takes half damage....as much as I like this idea, something is going to need to be changed or this is going to be abused beyond belief...

Actually the hold is breakable, at base I can break it with two charged defiles. The barrier however lingers on after the hold ends if you break it. The longer the hold, the longer the barrier stays. In group content you are actually buffing the enemy since the hold will end in less than a second but they will continue taking 50% less damage for a good long time.
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User

Seriously, they're.. wonky and rarely align with the selected color. I cannot be the only one this annoys?

Yes, I've noticed the misalignment of colour tinting, some Aura's have this bug to, like Timewarp, for Sorcery, It is a line out of place, one part of it is as selected but the other visuals is a line forward, for example.

Select the line above Purple for Soul beam and you get Purple beam and blue highlighting, select Purple and it's a Pink Beam and purple highlight effects, etc.

Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
    edited September 2016
    Another soulbeam dps test, making use of the sorcery toggle form and a dex/int/end build now.

The damage is slightly low ish. But there are things to consider:
    - there is no magic damage mod yet
    - Bug: Expose Weakness (dex specs) instantly falls off when you stop maintaining soulbeam.
    - I forgot to rank up Hex of Suffering, and that has significant dps. So add 353x0.44=155 damage to that parse.

Suggestion:
    Remove the vfx on Spellcaster, it's not very pretty or interesting and if people want a passive aura they can use an actual aura.
    Post edited by aiqa on
  • kriss94kriss94 Posts: 88 Arc User

FIX the COLORS for Arcane powers!

Seriously, they're.. wonky and rarely align with the selected color. I cannot be the only one this annoys?

That's not a bug! They're meant to be two-toned! Part of the power colors the color you pick, and another is a different tint based on the base color.

aiqa wrote: »
    - Bug: Expose Weakness (dex specs) instantly falls off when you stop maintaining

The exactly same problem Hyper Voice has with DEX Expose Weakness​​
  • carrionbaggagecarrionbaggage Posts: 721 Community Moderator
    edited September 2016
    BUG:
    The Hexed debuff from Skarn's Bane does not refresh an existing Hexed application.
  • frankendreadzfrankendreadz Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Hi
    just to say great idea on rebuilding the magic power-set
    I see you noticed that several of the set were more or less the same and have now merged them into one... great idea and was overdue
    Soul beam looks great but is underwhelming in its output, was hoping it was going to be more similar to life drain, but oh well.

BUG!
    when selected to be cast out of head, it still cast from left hand/palm

ok here's a suggestion around willow the wisp and curse
    Instead of being poison, make then instead cause an effect towards a hex of suffering etc...
    Imo that's what a curse should be , plus we already overloaded with poison based DoTs.
    I hope I am presuming that the poison based DoTs are just a place over for such a change

Valia's Light does not need a cool-down, as it is already a weak heal.
    Spamming interchanged with a full charge was the best way to utilize it, , especially if you have a pet based build
    Bug!
    can still be spammed to some degree, all depends on how long the TAP is.. the shorter, the more likely you can spam... even though it is showing a countdown of 3 seconds

hope this helps
    Post edited by frankendreadz on
    kriss94 said:

That's not a bug! They're meant to be two-toned! Part of the power colors the color you pick, and another is a different tint based on the base color.

And please keep it this way, it looks really cool.
  • nimbusdq#2048 nimbusdq Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    I have a suggestion for the Lightning Version of Invocation of Storm Calling.. The strikes in AOE needs to be more random.

For example .. instead of hitting everyone at the same time. hit foes at random with a half second delay so it better mimics a real lightning storm situation when random lightning strikes happen.

Also the change power to (FULL CHARGE DOT TOGGLE) The power only activates on full charge up (and is a major POWERBAR HOG!!) and it acts as a separate toggle which roots you whilst activated (you need to concentrate on the storm) and then it strikes random foes over a slow period (thinking the amount of time the ice power AVALANCHE drains from full charge)

This power will be slow to charge up (leaving you vulnerable to attack whilst charging) and then after you've charged up you can still attack as normal (You can fire off additional powers whilst CALL STORM is activated)

The charge up animation could be like the fable games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3--7_ZDaQTc

Post edited by nimbusdq#2048 on
    spinnytop said:

kriss94 said:

Agreed. I rather like the way Sorcery has its power colours, I would hate to see it changed.
  • beerbanebeerbane Posts: 197 Arc User

spinnytop said:

kriss94 said:

Agreed. I rather like the way Sorcery has its power colours, I would hate to see it changed.
    Definitely all for unique looks, but I also like have control over my character customization. I'd REALLY love it if you could somehow select both colors for sorcery, but I know this isn't possible with the current UI. Sorcery is one of those sets that I think has really pretty visuals that I manage to make look like blobs of neon play-doh when I actually color them.
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited October 2016

Checking on my healer (1 stack Compassion, R1): Vala's Light, on full charge, heals 2597 (1298 hps based just on cast time). Arcane Vitality heals 477-682 per tic (919-1314 hps). Vala's light costs 55 energy/2s. 4 tics of arcane vitality (2.17s) costs 28.3 energy.

If it didn't have a cooldown, I'd consider the powers roughly equal; for healing maintains tend to be more useful than charges, and the energy is high enough that you need to think about energy management, which you mostly don't for arcane vitality. With the cooldown, it's not even close.

(main points of feedback underlined)

^ .. Yeah, I don't see why Vala's Light needs to be changed entirely and we lose another spammable heal option. I'm not against the general design of the 'new' Vala's Light- more heal options are great (cd or not). But I don't think that it should come at the expense of losing one of the limited spammable ally heal options avail in CO. On the contrary, I think that we need more options for spammable, targeted heals. Keeping Valla's Light and making this new VL a separate power also means the devs are free to make the new power more unique; it'd be win-win imo.

Other players have covered most of my concerns w/ the changes thus far. To add some other misc feedback:

- I am a bit worried that Skarn's Bane is under-performing now w/ respect to its tier and dps/eps. This is also since its still one of the few cone AoEs that roots the caster. Its current dps/eps status puts it more in place w/ cone AoEs that are in lower tiers and have no lockdown. Even then, its energy costs is still a bit too high if ur gonna keep its dps low like most other cone AoEs. To highlight:

*new* Skarn's Bane = 110dmg /tick, 22/16tick energy, roots caster, tier 6 (highest, ie. 6 general powers to unlock)
    Wind Breath = 102dmg tick, 16/14tick energy, tier 1.
    Fire Breath = 100dmg /tick, 18/14tick energy, tier 1.
    Venom Breath = 88dmg /tick (+ DP chance), 19/10tick energy, tier 1.
    Hyper Voice = 105dmg /tick, 17/15tick energy, tier 3.
    Crushing Wave = 101.5dmg/tick (if made 0.5 sec), 36/26tick energy, roots caster, tier 3.

Ofc, Crushing Wave is the other main odd-man-out here (1-sec ticks, not higher dps than the other cones yet is higher tier and has much higher cost, and roots the caster), but I think we all know its been weak since its inception. Hyper Voice is also a bit high in tier for its current attributes, imo.

- Are the Primal Sigils gong to get the same treatment that the Arcane/Fire runes did (and that Storm Invocation just received) ? Kinda makes sense to, since Sorcery is moving to be more cohesive, and its new passive doesn't buff Electric dmg anyways.

- The details for Magician's Dust are a bit unclear, imo. It says on one line that it "wipes all threat from nearby foes", but in further details it only placates the 2ndary targets and wipes threat from the primary target? As you know, a Placate isn't a true threat wipe. I'd just like to know which effect that power was meant to do on 2ndary targets- ie. if its meant to be a true AoE threat wipe or not.

Bug: Enchanter's energy-gain parameters are listed to be the same as Strombringer's (Crushing, Cold, Elec) on its tooltip.

- Also will add that I would like to see the Sorc's Whim adv on Eld Blast to have its root chance scale to cast time, as that would work better w/ the re-vamped Manip imo.

That's all for now from me. May give these changes another look once some of the powers move more out of their 'alpha' stage.

edit: cause I mistook Enchanter's defensive for energy-gain lines.
    edit2: cause I didn't account for the energy ticks for CW being on the 1 sect tick, instead of 0.5 sec, so its energy cost is actually in-line per tick, but w/ rather high activation still.
    Post edited by flowcyto on
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    edited out this repeat reply, since my old one re-appeared.. oddly (that hasn't happened before so.. I still dunno what's going on, but hey at least its back)
    Please ignore this reply.
    Post edited by flowcyto on
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
    I have a feeling there are specific reasons why Vala was changed, and those specific reasons are why they won't be bringing the original back in any form.

The shorter charge time is cool. People are still going to be flocking to Arcane Vitality more than before though due to the fact that when it comes to the function of "an aoe heal with sustained healing power", Arcane Vitality is still pulling way ahead thanks to better HPS, but I guess the plan is to move Vala's out of consideration for that type of power anyway and make it more of a supplemental healing power since the HPSI is even higher now. Which is fine since all you see at cosmics is a bunch of people spamming Arcane Vitality anyways. There are a lot of powers that are rarely used and this will just continue to be one of them.

I'll probably keep using it anyway tho cause the vfx are pretty.
This discussion has been closed.