test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sword and shield or throwing shield power set?

I have not been able to log in and play for some time even with a lifetime sub. I remember back when I last played talk about adding a throwing shield melee power set (like Captain America) and/or a sword and shield melee power set (like Taskmaster from Marvel) coming. Did they ever put those into the game or adjust some of the existing power sets to include that option?

Comments

• themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    saroven said:

I have not been able to log in and play for some time even with a lifetime sub. I remember back when I last played talk about adding a throwing shield melee power set (like Captain America) and/or a sword and shield melee power set (like Taskmaster from Marvel) coming. Did they ever put those into the game or adjust some of the existing power sets to include that option?

No.

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • sarovensaroven Posts: 43 Arc User

saroven said:

No.

Ugh, that is disappointing to put it mildly. Thanks for responding though.
    saroven said:

Ugh, that is disappointing to put it mildly. Thanks for responding though.

I'd love a shield powerset too mate, but I think they're too busy balancing powers at the moment. Hopefully we'll see some new powersets after that.

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    I do find it a little odd that sword and shield is such a standard MMO melee build but you can't do it in this game. Here's hoping one day we will see it.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    On the other hand, few other MMOs give you the power to fly at will and send flaming serpents to consume your foes. It's a tradeoff.

Have there been any superheroes besides Cap who threw their shields? I don't recall any offhand - and for legal reasons, you don't want to make the trademark violation almost the only possible build...​​
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    There's been a few. USAgent (John Walker) who once was Captain America, Taskmaster will throw shields as well as use sword and shield as a combat style. Same as Black Knight, another classic Avenger. If you want to consider Conan a comic character he is another classic sword and shield user. A slew of Asgardians use it as well like Valkyrie, Sif, etc.

I agree with you that this is not a standard MMO and you get to do gobs of things you can't do in 90% of other MMOs. I just was hoping that that particular melee style would be in the game. I'd like to see more variety for melee characters and sword and shield is pretty classic.
    So, Cap throws his shield, USAgent who used to be another Cap throws his shield, Taskmaster who copied this from Cap has thrown his shield.

I think you can see where this is kind of a referential power. Sure, you could make a shield-throwing toon that wasn't a blatant ripoff, but a) it would be a lot more difficult, and b) the reference would be plain as day in any event.

Sword-and-shield could be possible, I suppose, but it's not that common among superheroes.​​
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    Well DC comics has Guardian who is a shield using Captain America rip off created by Jack Kirby...
    (A man is allowed to make rip-offs of characters he's already created isn't he?)

not sure how often Guardian threw his sheild though...I'd imagine he probably did a few times.

• decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    jonsills said:

So, Cap throws his shield, USAgent who used to be another Cap throws his shield, Taskmaster who copied this from Cap has thrown his shield.

There was an old rumor that Marvel has a trademark infringement thing going with "shield throwing". IIRC, it was one of the things they threw at Rob Liefeld for publishing his unused Capt. America pages as "Fighting American". I in no way have any kind of confirmation of this, though.

EDIT: I also don't ever remember Guardian throwing his shield, but I'm hardly an expert on him.

'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    That boss orc threw it's shield in the Tolkien movie.
    And Legolas threw one also and surfed on it down the stairs. While shooting arrows. That'll be really cool TP.
    So now we got
    -Captain America
    -Guys who were Captain America
    -Guy who copied Captain America
    -Boss orc
    -The Elf
    _That Rygar guy
    -Oh, oh! and Shield wielding heroes in DCUO
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    I would pay good money for a decent shield power set. There should be one by now. It has to be the most asked for power set in the game.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    More than plant? That's the one I really want.

'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User

Plant comes a close second but pretty sure Shield tops it. Plant is more likely to happen though. Marvel seem to be acting like dicks at the moment I think Cryptic just dont want the hassle >_>
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited August 2016
    nepht said:

Plant comes a close second but pretty sure Shield tops it.
    I hear more people wanting Staffs/Polearms than Shields, but I agree that that Plant Control is right up there.

Post edited by themightyzenith on
    zrdRBy8.png
  • selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    Closest we have now is Laser Knight with the frisbee throw
  • hasukurobihasukurobi Posts: 405 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    With the Energy Shield + Laser Knight you can sort of have a shield out when you do melee attacks. A good Knight set with shield bash stuns and stuff would be nifty though.

Amaterasu sort of threw shields but technically they were mirrors... Does that count? Also Arthur in Ghosts and Goblins throws a shield as a weapon.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    selphea said:

Closest we have now is Laser Knight with the frisbee throw

Tron Knock off. :p
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    gradii wrote: »
    I want a time mini set. Recharge time debuffs and snares/stuns could work nicely.
    As in the chroniton weapon sets and temporal gear in STO?​​

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Maybe a space manipulating power set with visuals similar to the distortion TPs.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters