test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Armadillo/Samurai/Cyber gear--you'd better get it now...

13»

Comments

• darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    If the devs can provide a constant stream of new content that is attached to the gear (ie more and new varied ways to get SCR and GCR) then the hikes won't be too bad. I'm. . . not confident they have the resources or manpower to do that based on recent comments and the history of how GLACIALLY slow new content gets added.

That is really my only issue with the price hikes. I don't mind the grind taking a long time. I DO mind the grind being the same damn content we've been doing for 6 months (rampages) over and over and over again. Kai basically just explained there is no timeline for when they can address the Rampages, so that alone doesn't feel me with confidence.

I have a scary suspicion we'll be grinding the same content for GCR and SCR months from now. Not weeks, months. If they prove me wrong fine. But history of this game doesn't fill me with any confidence whatsoever.

EDIT: Yes I am glad we got a new zone, and there will probably be some GCR and SCR rewards there in the long run (besides the Cosmic) but lets look at how long it took us to get that new content. Just saying.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    aesica said:

Then you agree that these price hikes are unnecessary and bad for the game. I'm glad we could reach an understanding. ;)

Gear with higher stats is better than gear with lower stats = the prices for justice gear should be lower.

That's an interesting thought process you have there, but no try again.
    aesica said:

What's "fun" about grinding the same content over and over for weeks, or even months just for a piece of gear?

The video game that that content is a part of, that's what. If a game isn't fun enough for you that you would want to play its content over and over, then don't, and just accept the rewards that the amount you are willing to play gets you. You may think everyone here agrees with you, but that just tells me you've been ignoring everyone who's been telling you that you don't need J/D gear to do well at any content in the game - and they've been telling you this for a while now.

Yes, I understand that you feel better when your numbers get bigger, but again that's your motivation for doing the grind, not a justification for why it should be shorter.
    darqaura2 said:

If the devs can provide a constant stream of new content that is attached to the gear (ie more and new varied ways to get SCR and GCR) then the hikes won't be too bad. I'm. . . not confident they have the resources or manpower to do that based on recent comments and the history of how GLACIALLY slow new content gets added

You're working on old information. Ever since the new dev team took over the content has been coming at us faster than ever, and it has mostly been attached to the recognition system.
  • darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Actually no I'm not working off okd information. Unless I missed this influx of new zones and missions in the last two years my point still stands. I don't believe that we won't be grinding on the same old content for scr and gcr months from now.

Do I believe they will suddenly magically find the time to work on Unity or revising the Rampages any time soon? No I don't.

Its up to them to prove me wrong. But based on RECENT past history I'm not very faithful.

EDIT: Also this is not an attack on their ability. Give this dev team the budget they deserve and they could probably dip into CO's rich backstory and run circles around other mmos. But I don't believe their parent company will ever give them such a budget. And the only other way they would get such resources would be for the game's popularion to suddenly increase by a factor of five overnight. I just don't see that happening.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    The new CO constants.

Caliga will talk crap in zone, Every 3 months Flare will have his last ever Costume Contest and Cryptic will always screw with gear prices.

*shut up you I love Flare and 'Liga U_U
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    darqaura2 said:

Give this dev team the budget they deserve and they could probably dip into CO's rich backstory and run circles around other mmos.

They won't be running circles around anything until the grind gets toned way down. There's a couple reasons why developers utilize high levels of grind--one of which is when they want to artificially inflate the lifespan of their content. This is useful when you've got a game that isn't regularly pushing out content patches (sounds like CO, right?) however it's the kind of thing that's easy to take too far. When that happens, many people either bow out of said content or sometimes even the game entirely to search for greener pastures. There's a sweet spot somewhere between rewards coming so quickly the content becomes trivialized, and rewards taking so long that players don't even want to bother. I think we all know where CO's dev team is aiming. ;)

Sorry, rambling about grinds a bit, but yeah.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    So is Merc gear better than random blues?

you can find L40 blue primaries and secondaries with stats you want if you look hard enough.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    Pretty sure the random blues have less slots. Like one core and one mod slot. So yeah you can get double the stats with Mercenary.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited August 2016

Pretty sure the random blues have less slots. Like one core and one mod slot. So yeah you can get double the stats with Mercenary.

To compensate, they come with an extra stat that Merc gear doesn't have. They're kinda like Merc gear with a fixed stat in one slot, in a sense. And unlike the Merc gloves, random blue gloves actually have Offense in addition to the standard fixed stat.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    edited August 2016

you can find L40 blue primaries and secondaries with stats you want if you look hard enough.

Let's take a good look at what everyone is going nuts about o3o

So you guys know how I say you can just grab stuff off the exchange, slap it on, and be ready for all content? Yeah, why are you people talking about grinding.
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    Pretty much how I build my 40s right there.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • gemini2099gemini2099 Posts: 118 Arc User
    Level 40 purples drop frequently enough in certain areas of the game, but for new players they don't have that knowledge or understanding.
    Gemini - Lvl 4x - Soldier
    Omicron - Lvl 4x - Mind
    Emerald Myst - Lvl 2x - Claws/Fighting Hybrid
    Epsilon - Lvl 2x - Blade
    Asterius - Lvl 1x - Electric/Void Hybrid

Huh. I may stop vendoring the slotted blues I get. :D
    biffsig.jpg
    spinnytop said:

Let's take a good look at what everyone is going nuts about o3o

So you guys know how I say you can just grab stuff off the exchange, slap it on, and be ready for all content? Yeah, why are you people talking about grinding.
    Hmm... yeah, Merc seems a bit weak when you look at it like that. I'd rather use random blues.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    edited August 2016
    They dont seem weak but random blues seem good enough for the casual player. I was not aware of any of this I thought random blues were just junk. Time to farm level 41 LAME-urians on Monster Island.
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    Interesting. Tons of STR and PRE. Not that useful for, say, Pyretta Blaze, who relies more on END and EGO (and could use a little more REC, because she really burns through the energy, if you'll pardon the expression...).

Problem with random drops is, they're random. Sometimes they're useful to you - but sometimes their only value is on the AH.​​
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    Yeah pretty sure you could find one with the stats you need. But really, anyone can afford a full set of Mercenary gear. The random blues are like, just gravy if you happen to find some and they're the right stats.
    biffsig.jpg
    jonsills said:

Interesting. Tons of STR and PRE. Not that useful for, say, Pyretta Blaze, who relies more on END and EGO (and could use a little more REC, because she really burns through the energy, if you'll pardon the expression...).​​

You kinda made it sound there like you don't realize there are versions of that stuff for every stat, but I'm sure you realize that. I used these variations because they were the cheapest on the AH at the time - total spent on the left side of that picture, 10G.
    jonsills said:

Problem with random drops is, they're random. Sometimes they're useful to you - but sometimes their only value is on the AH.​​

Yes, which is why you'll likely find that one you need on the AH, cause somebody else found it and had the same thought about it as you had about the one you found :smiley:
  • selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    If the solution to Merc gear is to avoid and go for blue drops, then it sounds like either there's a pricing issue with Merc gear or blue drops are too common.
    ^ The whole endgame gear setup is a complete wreck, and it's only getting worse. I'm sure they'll realize that random blue junk is too easy to get as well, then reduce the drop rate by 99% or make it bind on pickup. Can't let those casuals get gear without bleeding for it!
    aesica said:

^ The whole endgame gear setup is a complete wreck, and it's only getting worse. I'm sure they'll realize that random blue junk is too easy to get as well, then reduce the drop rate by 99% or make it bind on pickup. Can't let those casuals get gear without bleeding for it!

The amount of sarcasm and cynicism contained in your posts is staggering. Do you even realize that we're talking about video games anymore?
    edited August 2016
    selphea said:

If the solution to Merc gear is to avoid and go for blue drops, then it sounds like either there's a pricing issue with Merc gear or blue drops are too common.

I'm not sure what you mean by "solution to", since Merc isn't a problem that needed solving. The inborn stat on the blues is like a level 4 mod (54) (EDIT: I was mistaken, level 4 mods are only 51...so they're better than level 4 mods). If that works for you, you can use that, or you can get higher stats by using higher mods with the Merc gear. Options.

Post edited by decorumfriends on
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    54 is 1 short of a level 5 mod, and no I'd rather not use a 200G Con mod in a 10G Primary thank you very much :p
  • xacchaeusxacchaeus Posts: 308 Arc User
    you can remove it later....
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    The amount of sarcasm and cynicism contained in your posts is staggering. Do you even realize that we're talking about video games anymore?
    Oh, no, Aesica knows we're still talking about video games. We're used to real life not rewarding us for our efforts.​​
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    Lots of purple lvl 40 secondary gear drops from VB and up north on Monster Island...you can also get some pretty nice primary blue gear from doing missions in those areas. Merc gear is easily acquired...(honestly heroics are still pretty easy to come by as well just by doing dalies and the like imo, but nobody wants to hear that.)

That aramdillo stuff? yeah it's ok when leveling up but kinda usless at level 40... you're better off with some purple drops from VB or MI.(but then people would have to do things beyond alerts. Oh no!)

xacchaeus said:

you can remove it later....

Except anything above rank 4 costs questionite to remove. Who in their right mind would put such a mod into what's essentially disposable gear, knowing they'd be removing it later? Seems like a massive waste of resources to me.
    beezeeze said:

That aramdillo stuff? yeah it's ok when leveling up but kinda usless at level 40... you're better off with some purple drops from VB or MI.(but then people would have to do things beyond alerts. Oh no!)

Actually, the Armadillo secondaries are decent even compared to random purple junk drops. The stat bonuses on purple junk may be a tiny bit higher, but that difference is so small that the Armadillo 3piece bonus remains a worthwhile tradeoff. Maybe I shouldn't say that, because then, the devs will just hike them up to 100k per piece or some other absurd number.
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    Yes well purple random junk drops don't cost you any Q and as you say they are slightly better...

the 3 piece bonus is nice for leveling but hardly necessary, save your Q for other things... espically in light of upcoming q price increases for those pieces.

• pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    aesica said:

Maybe I shouldn't say that, because then, the devs will just hike them up to 100k per piece or some other absurd number.

I think it's safe to say that the devs already know. Given that they're priced at 20,000Q while purple secondaries are 15 scr, that's already priced in anyway.
    edited August 2016
    aesica said:

Except anything above rank 4 costs questionite to remove. Who in their right mind would put such a mod into what's essentially disposable gear, knowing they'd be removing it later? Seems like a massive waste of resources to me.

It's not a waste at all if it was useful to you at some point.

biffsig.jpg
    Geez, even after you prove to people that they don't need to grind, they still want to argue that they have to anyway. Are you sure you don't like grinding?
    edited August 2016
    selphea said:

54 is 1 short of a level 5 mod, and no I'd rather not use a 200G Con mod in a 10G Primary thank you very much :p

So don't. I'm not sure exactly what everyone thinks the point here is. The discussion lead to "Merc gear is perfectly acceptable 'just hit 40' gear, and even some slotted blues are OK for that." No one's telling you to load them up as if they were your "final gear". It's gear that's fine for getting the later gear if that's what you're going for, and works fine in general if you're not.

'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    Yup, I'm doing Cosmics with 2 Mercenary and 1 Heroic, loaded with rank 5 mods, and I'm doing just fine. On my way to get the GCR gear by just doing cosmics.
    biffsig.jpg
    I like hearing that, because it means I'll probably do OK once I get around to doing them (because that's what almost all my earlier 40s are geared like).

I was always big on GMs over at CoX. I have a lot of fun ganging up on the giants. Needs to go on my "to do SOON" list. **goes to see if there's video on them...**
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    You should totally join us in running the cosmics; it's real simple as long as you're willing to listen to the instructions. Fun and very rewarding when we actually take them down! :D
    biffsig.jpg
    Kaiser Behemoth once said he uses blue merc on some toons and he is a bloody good tank. An AT Tank at that and if that dude shows up we normally succeed at Dino Mom.

We all seen what that guy can do with blues and a AT.
    I've seen Kaiser in Sky Command. He was the guy who basically laughed at everything the enemy threw at the team.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    edited August 2016
    nepht said:

Kaiser Behemoth once said he uses blue merc on some toons and he is a bloody good tank. An AT Tank at that and if that dude shows up we normally succeed at Dino Mom.

We all seen what that guy can do with blues and a AT.

And have you seen his healer? The man is a god. Living proof that skill > gear.