test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

FC.31.20160729.8 - Enemy Group Adjustments Feedback

Comments

• aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    spinnytop said:

If you go in guns blazing you're probably gonna die. I'm sure some people's playstyle is "charge in face first and spam aoe without thought", and they'll have to adjust too.

When I tried this out on my main, I "charged in face first and spammed aoes without thought" and did just fine. ;)
    spinnytop said:

I don't change my opinion based on what the majority of people who happen to be posting are saying. Neither did you in that thread where quite a few people told you to stop bringing your alt account into alerts with you.

spinnytop said:

Sure, if you're dumb about it like you suggest, it'll go poorly. Or you can be smart about it. Up to you really.

How can you "be smart" about stealthing if everything is given a cheap mechanic to see through it? You can't.

PS: Regarding stealthy assassination vs other "alpha strike" abilities:

I took force cascade for a spin a few days ago on my dark sorceress themed pseudo-spellcaster--yeah, it's vastly superior to anything night warrior can do in terms of a first strike move because it can 1-shot several things at once and remove others from the fight for a decent amount of time with its ridiculous knockback of 350 feet or so. I had tons of fun watching things fly off into the distance. ;)

PS2: I guess my point is that you need to let go of Night Warrior. Leave it alone. It's fine. By moving a few mobs closer to a few of the books, the problem with it you seem to be having is solved and thus, nothing needs to be nerfed or cheapened after all.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User

spinnytop said:

Those will also be useful, yes. What's your point?

That there's no really good reason to block stealthy assassination if you don't block all the other ways you can oneshot villains.
    Not sure anyone is trying to block stealthy assassination, just combat-free quest collectible acquisition.
    aesica said:

When I tried this out on my main, I "charged in face first and spammed aoes without thought" and did just fine. ;)

Well if it's that easy then nobody needs to be sneaking around. Good talk :wink:
    aesica said:

I took force cascade for a spin a few days ago on my dark sorceress themed pseudo-spellcaster--yeah, it's vastly superior to anything night warrior can do in terms of a first strike move because it can 1-shot several things at once and remove others from the fight for a decent amount of time with its ridiculous knockback of 350 feet or so. I had tons of fun watching things fly off into the distance. ;)

You're not using Night Warrior correctly.
    spinnytop said:

aesica said:

Well if it's that easy then nobody needs to be sneaking around. Good talk :wink:
    And thus, there's no need to add stealth sight to anything after all, so we're in agreement. I'm glad we had this talk.
    spinnytop said:

aesica said:

I'm not using Night Warrior at all because I don't feel like I need it in order to make this content easier. Hence why stealth is fine.

YES or NO:

Wouldn't moving the mobs closer to each objective eliminate the need to add stealth sight to things, since you drop stealth (and thus, get pounced) when you try to interact with something?
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • kyastralkyastral Posts: 342 Arc User
    aesica said:

spinnytop said:

aesica said:

And thus, there's no need to add stealth sight to anything after all, so we're in agreement. I'm glad we had this talk.
    spinnytop said:

aesica said:

I'm not using Night Warrior at all because I don't feel like I need it in order to make this content easier. Hence why stealth is fine.

YES or NO:

Wouldn't moving the mobs closer to each objective eliminate the need to add stealth sight to things, since you drop stealth (and thus, get pounced) when you try to interact with something?
    Hmm...BOTH. If the devs change the way the objective missions work and allow one person to collect them for the group, then YES. If the missions are to be left as they are and everyone has to complete each objection task (even when grouped) then NO.

At this point both sides of this debate has valid points. We will have to wait and see how the devs will perceive and move foward with it, if at all.
  • sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
    Bug
    Where: Q warzone and nightmare invasion
    What happens: Elder Worm sorcerers have a version of Ego Storm that doesn't hold.

Fix the hold and go one step further and give them the "malevolent manifestation" advantage

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User

Bug
    What happens: Elder Worm sorcerers have a version of Ego Storm that doesn't hold.

Fix the hold and go one step further and give them the "malevolent manifestation" advantage

This is actually quite common for Ego Damage based bad guys.

Post On Alert, a majority of NPCs applying "Psionic Storm" or "Ego Storm" had the hold removed because the CC system they work on is superior to players and would make their holds very very difficult to break out of.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User

Post On Alert, a majority of NPCs applying "Psionic Storm" or "Ego Storm" had the hold removed because the CC system they work on is superior to players and would make their holds very very difficult to break out of.

While NPC holds do in some cases work differently from PC holds, that's usually because they're legacy; if the hold was updated it could be updated to work the same way as a PC hold. However, the other factor about NPC holds is that NPCs have much lower DPS than PCs, so a hold with identical hold health will last a lot longer on a PC.
    edited August 2016
    Well the ego storm animation (rooted with arms open) leaves the NPC extremely vulnerable and also prevents it from taking more meaningful action in addition to be fairly lengthy and flashy. If the hold cant be fixed, the entire power needs to be removed because all it does now is invite death.

2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
    Yes, there are issues with the power on NPCs...but if they were given hold capability...with the level they are and the rank, they'd become a super annoyance, I'd suggest allowing their version to apply a strong repel or a stun, instead of an incapacitate/maintained paralyze.

edited August 2016

While NPC holds do in some cases work differently from PC holds, that's usually because they're legacy; if the hold was updated it could be updated to work the same way as a PC hold. However, the other factor about NPC holds is that NPCs have much lower DPS than PCs, so a hold with identical hold health will last a lot longer on a PC.

Well...yes, obviously.

But updating them to player standards would make them a lot weaker and easier to break out of, moreso than they already are.

The best course of action (if they were going to remain as some sort of CC power for NPCs) would probably be to have their "Psionic Storm" or "Ego Storm" apply a stacking movement debuff which eventually results in a paralyze. (which could be something which is applied to Ice with Chill stacks ~)

If not, then up the damage it deals for these specific NPCs. Not all NPCs who use this attack should be updated, because some are in timed instances (IIRC)

Bug

Does this game really need more holds/stuns to F-mash out of?
    edited August 2016

The best course of action (if they were going to remain as some sort of CC power for NPCs) would probably be to have their "Psionic Storm" or "Ego Storm" apply a stacking movement debuff which eventually results in a paralyze.

Honestly, that's the way the PC version should work too -- each tic applies a stack of some debuff, at 2-3 tics the subject is paralyzed (maybe variable by npc category), if the subject breaks free of the paralyze all debuff stacks are removed (so it will take several tics to be re-held) but the maintain is not canceled.
    edited August 2016

The best course of action (if they were going to remain as some sort of CC power for NPCs) would probably be to have their "Psionic Storm" or "Ego Storm" apply a stacking movement debuff which eventually results in a paralyze.

Honestly, that's the way the PC version should work too -- each tic applies a stack of some debuff, at 2-3 tics the subject is paralyzed (maybe variable by npc category), if the subject breaks free of the paralyze all debuff stacks are removed (so it will take several tics to be re-held) but the maintain is not canceled.
    I think the pc ego storm has been nerfed enough already.

EDIT:
    This progressive debuff "ego storm" sounds like a whole new power.
    I think adding a whole new NPC exclusive power would probably be inefficient and impractical. If we are going to give them an AOE stun, why not just replace it with TK eruption or shadow eruption?

I do too. Having the power not self-destruct when anything breaks out of anything is a buff.

I do too. Having the power not self-destruct when anything breaks out of anything is a buff.
    It's poor design on behalf of the way that Incap's work. It's not so bad for single target incaps, but it is horrible for multiple target ones.

But that's not for here... :tongue:
  • kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,089 Cryptic Developer

​​

EDIT:
    This progressive debuff "ego storm" sounds like a whole new power.
    I think adding a whole new NPC exclusive power would probably be inefficient and impractical. If we are going to give them an AOE stun, why not just replace it with TK eruption or shadow eruption?

NPC powers/versions of stuff tend to be very different to what players can use. The one exception being the Nemesis System. As our powers get better/adjusted...so do that of our nemesis'.

Since the power does not already work the same as PC Ego Storm, the easiest thing would probably be to up it's damage, if the other idea is too time consuming.

I do wonder though if any of the mobs which are yet to be updated will make use of Mind Drain and/or Shadow Eruption.
    edited August 2016
    gradii said:

This is actually quite common for Ego Damage based bad guys.

In fact, telepathy nemesis still have this OP ego storm of ages past, I was once caught off guard by this while leveling my unleashed AT.
    Speaking of Nemesis, does street sweeping in the Q war zone trigger nemesis minion ambushes?
    Sorry... I'm to lazy to test this my self.

EDIT:
    Some day I would really like to make my Nemesis and his/her minions as hard as this new endgame difficulty standard.

• riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    BUG - Dark Disciple's Are Dropping Old Gear

Not sure if this has been mentioned but the Dark Disciples are dropping the old "Dark Shard Robe" upon defeat. It's a piece of primary gear that gives %50 all paranormal damage resist and does negligible dot damage when attacked. It's very much outdated when compared to current gear we have.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
    (Possible) Bug: While playing with the Destroids, the Annihilator Bots (or whichever ones use the energy drain) have some weird anti-block mechanism that seems like it turns off your block, but doesn't lock you out of it or anything. Is this supposed to be messing with block?

Also, there's some nasty stuff out there. The wandering colossus is brutal (if you aggro it, you're dead 99% of the time!) and...I guess I can't solo the mega destroids or portal guardian. :3
    More knocks. These things hardly ever knock me when I'm going around soloing the missions. They hardly ever stun me either... do these mobs even have those abilities?
  • kyastralkyastral Posts: 342 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

More knocks. These things hardly ever knock me when I'm going around soloing the missions. They hardly ever stun me either... do these mobs even have those abilities?

Hmm... perhaps more knockdowns. The other knocks would have too great of a chance to aggro other groups (or one of those Colossi if they are close enough) and that would cause more frustration than being fun.
    kyastral said:

spinnytop said:

Hmm... perhaps more knockdowns. The other knocks would have too great of a chance to aggro other groups (or one of those Colossi if they are close enough) and that would cause more frustration than being fun.
    or perhaps, knock ups :smiley:
  • tkittehtkitteh Posts: 16 Arc User
    Bone to Pick: Dark Shield & Psi Shield are more like total invulnerability than in game shields. Shields have no HP to burn through, dark shield buff does nothing to HP as stated in mouse over.

Worms seemed over protected, aoe shields, and heals and aorp, and worm spawns. One could go away, or all could be scaled down slightly
    spinnytop said:

No, it's actually great to have things that don't spam knocks and stuns. The sharkmen still seem a bit weak, but the Destroids can really pile on the damage if you're not careful. I consider them to be fairly well-done in terms of challenge, and that's without relying on excessive loss-of-control cheese.
    Question:

With the proposed updates to several mob groups which also appear in different parts of content (non end game...like ALERTS and regular missions)...how will they be affected?

I assume they are either different versions of the same mob so will have different attacks...or will be exactly the same as those within the Q Zone which means they will become a horrible nightmare for leveling squads.

Would be good to have a check on this before this all hits LIVE, because Annihilator Bots with Power Corrosion in alerts is going to cause a lot of problems.

Not to mention the updated Horror Squad....
  • kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,089 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2016
    This affects all mob groups. However, many of their new abilities (like the auras and energy drains) won't start showing up until levels 30+.​​
    kaizerin said:

This affects all mob groups. However, many of their new abilities (like the auras and energy drains) won't start showing up until levels 30+.​​

Ah I see.

kaizerin said:

Ah I see.

Um...
    Adjusting the mobs is an important part of making CC viable. I know you have grown cynical over the years (as have I) but if this trend continues (along with some targeted power adjustments), controllers like your self and assassins like my self may actually be able to find work in this town some day. :o

Also, This update is bringing together the mobs necessary to create "epic" versions of Resistance, Aftershock and Demon Flame. Maybe Adventure Packs would be more popular if you could get GCR from them. ;)

Um...
    Adjusting the mobs is an important part of making CC viable. I know you have grown cynical over the years (as have I) but if this trend continues (along with some targeted power adjustments), controllers like your self and assassins like my self may actually be able to find work in this town some day. :o

Also, This update is bringing together the mobs necessary to create "epic" versions of Resistance, Aftershock and Demon Flame. Maybe Adventure Packs would be more popular if you could get GCR from them. ;)

I have no problem with the mobs being updated, I don't think I implied that anywhere.

In fact I really like the fact that there is a readily accessible zone with roaming (tough) Super Villains and other assorted bad guys, it's great.

I'm just glad that we've received assurance that the mobs which are affected and turn up in Alert and basic content fit with how mobs are usually handled and only certain abilities appear at higher levels (much like with VIPER's higher powered Pulson Tech) instead of being in alerts and causing issues.

and causing issues.

I welcome the issue of content being more awesome o3o
    @theravenforce
    "Ah I see."
    I just thought that response was kinda "meh" relative to the implications of this change.
    Maybe I'm just over excited because these changes remind me of the "Why mobs should be adjusted to work as groups "trinity" style." suggestion thread I made (one of many).

Also, It would be nice to get these new nightmare, worm and destroid mobs in the power house.

• riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    Suggestion: Give One of the MOB NPCS Stealth Strike + Sneak

I have fully put on my flame retardant underwear for making this suggestion. However, it would be interesting if one of the NPC groups had a member capable of being stealthy and pulling off Strikes. Preferable if that mob had lower hit points and defenses in exchange.

Elder worms are little overprotected as it is - so perhaps they would be a group to have this with. If not in this group of changes, perhaps consider it when the next group of NPC's (or a new group) is updated for the game.

-------------------------------

I actually like the mob group changes over all - controllers finally have something to do. Assassins finally have a purpose too. I'm checking my cynicism at the door and hoping the mob difficulty isn't rolled back due to epic whine. There has to be more to the game mechanics than just running in and DPS everything to death.

These new options open more options and players might just have to actually work together or think things through before rushing in.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User

I have fully put on my flame retardant underwear for making this suggestion. However, it would be interesting if one of the NPC groups had a member capable of being stealthy and pulling off Strikes. Preferable if that mob had lower hit points and defenses in exchange.

Elder worms are little overprotected as it is - so perhaps they would be a group to have this with. If not in this group of changes, perhaps consider it when the next group of NPC's (or a new group) is updated for the game.

-------------------------------

I actually like the mob group changes over all - controllers finally have something to do. Assassins finally have a purpose too. I'm checking my cynicism at the door and hoping the mob difficulty isn't rolled back due to epic whine. There has to be more to the game mechanics than just running in and DPS everything to death.

These new options open more options and players might just have to actually work together or think things through before rushing in.

Yeah I don't think the mobs are all that much more tough. And they are much easier if you team, as you said.

That just means 'bring AoE', unless they're also hold-chaining us; sneak gets broken by taking damage and without sneak shadow strike tickles.
    gradii said:

Not to mention being one shotted from behind is the opposite of fun gameplay from the players point of view. this is the kind of thing players avoid pvp becuase of.

Is being one-shotted from in front any better? If you can see the ghosty version then it could actually be kind of neat - not sure about one-shotting, but if the attack does something like 75% health damage that'd be kind of neat since it takes you from "everything's fine" to "oh no" status. It'd basically be a game of watching for that ghostly one to show up while you're fighting the rest and then quickly hitting it. I mean sure aoeing is one way to deal with them, but if you make them start further away from the group so that aoeing at the start of the battle wouldn't hit them it could be an interesting thing. Sure people who are built to just aoe in a wide area the whole time wouldn't have much to worry about but eh, perk of the build.
    spinnytop said:

gradii said:

Not to mention being one shotted from behind is the opposite of fun gameplay from the players point of view. this is the kind of thing players avoid pvp becuase of.

Is being one-shotted from in front any better? If you can see the ghosty version then it could actually be kind of neat - not sure about one-shotting, but if the attack does something like 75% health damage that'd be kind of neat since it takes you from "everything's fine" to "oh no" status. It'd basically be a game of watching for that ghostly one to show up while you're fighting the rest and then quickly hitting it. I mean sure aoeing is one way to deal with them, but if you make them start further away from the group so that aoeing at the start of the battle wouldn't hit them it could be an interesting thing. Sure people who are built to just aoe in a wide area the whole time wouldn't have much to worry about but eh, perk of the build.
    As long as builds with enough INT can see them I see no issue. Perk of the build and all.
    edited August 2016

I support this 100%
    And before people get started... COX had this and it wasn't a big deal.
    In addition to "Enforcers" we could have "Stalker" class mobs.
    spinnytop said:

not sure about one-shotting, but if the attack does something like 75% health damage that'd be kind of neat since it takes you from "everything's fine" to "oh no" status.

This sounds interesting... it might keep super tanks on their toes.

edited August 2016

spinnytop said:

not sure about one-shotting, but if the attack does something like 75% health damage that'd be kind of neat since it takes you from "everything's fine" to "oh no" status.

This sounds interesting... it might keep super tanks on their toes.
    The Qularr have an attack like this...it removes exactly 50% of your maximum HP and spawns a minion (which erupts out of your stomach). It does not show up on combat log (the 50% HP damage) but the attack is called "Impregnate", it deals toxic damage.

Could be an idea to use that as a template for an attack used by one of the Horror mobs.
    edited August 2016
    darqaura2 said:

As long as builds with enough INT can see them I see no issue. Perk of the build and all.

Well the implication in my idea is that everyone can see them. They would have stealth, just not very strong stealth.. or hell they could literally just have an aura effect on them that makes them look the way that something looks when it's stealthed but you can see it, and that literally just never goes away, and then on top of it give it weak stealth so that it is completely invisible a certain distance away but becomes visible, but still ghosty, once at a certain closeness.

but the attack is called "Impregnate"

Stop trying to get people impregnated >:C
    spinnytop said:

darqaura2 said:

Well the implication in my idea is that everyone can see them. They would have stealth, just not very strong stealth.. or hell they could literally just have an aura effect on them that makes them look the way that something looks when it's stealthed but you can see it, and that literally just never goes away, and then on top of it give it weak stealth so that it is completely invisible a certain distance away but becomes visible, but still ghosty, once at a certain closeness.

but the attack is called "Impregnate"

Stop trying to get people impregnated >:C
    LOL!!!!!!!
    @theravenforce I've been playing since open beta and I still didn't know that.

• magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    However, it would be interesting if one of the NPC groups had a member capable of being stealthy and pulling off Strikes

Yup. Within reason - i.e. within the instance you find the body of a hero who's been struck down without warning in any zone where they might be operating - and with reasonable scaling to the similar hero power (which stops one-shotting villain bosses in the mid-20s).

and with reasonable scaling to the similar hero power (which stops one-shotting villain bosses in the mid-20s).

Depending on your definition of boss. There's plenty of UNITY bosses (MVs and SVs) that you can one-shot at level 40.
This discussion has been closed.