test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

new player here - where can i buy gear in this game?

i played alot of mmorpg but right now i have problem to find gear vendor in CO :)
all i can see is vendor for specific tokens but no one that sell items for new players.

can someone help me with that?

also, there is any story main mission? or i get one after specific level?
thanks.

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    There are a series of story missions; once you're through the tutorial (reliving the Qularr Invasion of '09), you'll be directed to the Powerhouse beneath Renaissance Center, the big structure near the center of Millennium City, in order to finish getting your character set up. Talk to the Head Trainer, and you'll get a package of useful starter items. You'll then be directed to report to Defender, just outside the PH; he'll give you your next mission, reporting to Kodiak in Westside, which leads into entire chains of missions culminating in the disruption of the summoning of the Death Dragon.

As for gear, you'll get Recognition from mobs, which can be exchanged for some gear at the Recognition Vendors; you can also buy healing and shielding items from Karneeki the Magnificent, a fellow dressed like a stage magician not far from Defender's station. Karneeki also buys items you can't use. You'll find items being dropped fairly frequently from mobs as well, and also being awarded at the ends of missions, and these items are usually (although not always) useful.

If you're so inclined, you can also drop a few bucks to buy Zen; 500 Zen ($5 worth) will buy you a set of starter gear that levels with you, and will prove useful for quite a long time. If I'm not mistaken, it's also account-bound rather than character-bound, meaning that if you do decide to upgrade to another kind of gear, you can place the items into your Account Bank (which you can get by picking up a Hideout), and transfer them to another toon later.

And last but not least, when you reach level 25 you'll make a Nemesis. Occasionally (not less than 20 hours apart) you'll get clues to fight your Nem; winning those fights will get you Nemesis Tokens, which can be swapped for some nice gear at the Nemesis Vendor.

Have fun, and maybe we'll run into each other out there!​​
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jamescrowxjamescrowx Posts: 9 Arc User
    jonsills said:

....​​

really really thanks for the answer.

about the zen, i think about buying a life time but not before i played and learn the game with my 2 f2p charcters.
    as tsw life i know life sub is worth it for the long terms and also look like the game start to getting some updates again.

so if i'm right - i'm doing mission and get tokens.
    with those tokens i buy new things and the thing here working with upgrades.

any place to see tokens list and info about them?

also if the game is around tokens, what im doing with the resource i get from enemy?
    and what kind of drops im going to get from mobs?

thanks again
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    you can get mission reward gear. if you don't mind collecting the questionite formdaily alert misisons and comic seies, you can get the levelling gear from the Q store.
    basically,
    damage resistance set, physical damage set, non physical damage set.
    THe stats in the gear will level with you.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    As far as gear goes, don't bother collecting the tokens for stuff you'll use only for a few levels then have it replaced by something better you get from a mission or just a random drop. Tokens can be used for cooler stuff like costumes and travel powers, so save those up.

If you really need some gear at like level 15 or 20 or whatever, try the auction house. You might find stuff there that's dirt cheap. But really you should be able to do with what you get from quests and regular leveling. Full disclosure though, it's been a couple years since I leveled a character without using Heriloom gear, so maybe take my advice with a grain of salt.

Point of advice, if you end up buying lockboxes and you get a Mercenary or Legion armor box, do not open it until you're level 40. The gear that comes out of it scales to your level, so opening the boxes at level 12 is useless since it'll be useless to you in a few levels. Especially if it's Legion gear.
    biffsig.jpg
    again - thanks.
    so ill keep doing missions from the "computer" and hope to get some gear from drops.

the tokens system remind me the system from others mmorpg endgame - just here its from the beginning so it nice.

and the cosmetic\gear system remind me a little from tsw

i thought to play the game before but most of the players said the company not give real update for years - but this case change now, right?

also as 7 years old game, i have to say the game not feel like a dying game for me when you see a lot of players moving around the first zone.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    Yeah, the definition of "real update" tends to vary from person to person. This game actually gets a lot of updates, especially lately, but someone always finds a reason why it's not a "real" update.

And folks have been calling this a "dying" game since at least open beta. Seven years is a long time to die, n'est-ce pas? :smile:​​
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    edited August 2016
    i think this game "suffer" from the same thing my main mmo "the secret world" have:
    its not the usual mmorpg and the dev tried to make something new.
    -also there be always the amazing coh\v fan that dislike the game from the beginning XD

i love to play games when you have to think what to do and not just level up.
    the skills system here look like this but maybe i'm wrong :)

as new player i have alot to do but look like the vet tierd from the old things, hope the new group zone content would bring some of them back.

for me the bad side of the game is the lack of voice-over and real story mission.

• biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    The comic series and adventure packs are great little story arcs you can play at just about any level. But yeah unfortunately here's no one big story for the game, it's just you running around as a superhero answering distress calls in several places.
    biffsig.jpg
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Unfortunately, for your first character, there really isn't anything worth buying that you can afford to buy, at least before level 40, unless you want to spend Z (in which case, you can convert it to Q on the exchange; 66,000Q is less than 150Z at the moment, which will get you a complete set of Armadillo gear which will be completely adequate to get you up to level 40). If you have multiple alts it's worth getting Heirloom or Nemesis or Aurum gear, all of which are bind to account so you can shift them between alts if you have a Hideout.

The comic series and adventure packs are great little story arcs you can play at just about any level. But yeah unfortunately here's no one big story for the game, it's just you running around as a superhero answering distress calls in several places.

got a new question.
    if all the vendors selling thing for tokens, what are the "resources" for? (beside tailor and HA)

if all the vendors selling thing for tokens, what are the "resources" for? (beside tailor and HA)

Mostly, they're used for trade between players, though the biggest sink is probably retcons (it takes 500-600G to fully retcon a character. This is usually only an issue for freeforms).

Mostly, they're used for trade between players, though the biggest sink is probably retcons (it takes 500-600G to fully retcon a character. This is usually only an issue for freeforms).
    still don't know what is freeform.
    i know i can mix between archtype but my question if i can use builds on the run or only for the creation part.

in tsw for example you dont have classes, you getting all the skills\gear and can change on the go.
    freeform is like that?

Freeform means you can pick your powers, superstats, and spec trees, rather than using a predefined build. You can also change your build, but doing so can be expensive.

Freeform means you can pick your powers, superstats, and spec trees, rather than using a predefined build. You can also change your build, but doing so can be expensive.
    so there is no option to use all the powers and save builds, like this game is more like if you want do other build you have to reset for in-game money?
    yes, not like TSW where you train in everything and just swap stuff as needed.
    here, you have to pick items to train in. You can make different builds in FF but you are still using the same powers. You get 14 but you may not need them all

You can change roles on FF to adjust things, Melee, raged, Tank, support and hybrid.​​

• You don't buy gear you waste away grinding until grandfather age to acquire it. This is PWE's master vision shame folks just now realizing this.
    You don't buy gear you waste away grinding until grandfather age to acquire it. This is PWE's master vision shame folks just now realizing this.

That's at level 40.​​