test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Champions Online: Shadow of Destruction

kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,078 Cryptic Developer
Later today we will be enabling the Qliphothic Warzone on the Public Test Server. Stay tuned!
http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online/news/detail/10103163-champions-online:-shadow-of-destruction-live-on-pts!​​

Comments

• bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    Sigh. Magic, again? The Qliphoth, again? I realize you're trying your best to create new content with what you have to work with, but frankly, this emphasis is getting old, and really doesn't reflect the diversity of either the comic-book source material, or the Champions IP.

I hate to say it, because this might turn out to be well-executed, but it's hard for me to work up any enthusiasm for it. :(
  • xacchaeusxacchaeus Posts: 308 Arc User
    looking forward to it!
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Can't say I'm surprised by this (and, well, I think Shadow Destroyer is now the obvious Big Bad), since it follows from Nightmare Invasion, but yeah, I'd like to see something other than purple qliphotic stuff.
  • kyastralkyastral Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Scratch previous post..nevermind.

There is nothing posted in the news article about what time the event will be fully loaded onto the test server; can you please give an approximate availability time, please?
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    kyastral said:

There is nothing posted in the news article about what time the event will be fully loaded onto the test server; can you please give an approximate availability time, please?

Probably because it's not on the PTR yet.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Yay for new stuff! Yay for 29 (twenty-nine!!!) new missions! Boo if we actually are going to the Qlipthotic, though, as it's a fundamental of the game setting that you can only go near the Q realm (like in Demonflame) and not actually into it without being sent completely insane (wibble).
  • kyastralkyastral Posts: 342 Arc User

kyastral said:

Probably because it's not on the PTR yet.
    Exactly, and the way that the news post is worded, it seems like the new content is already loaded onto the server ("check it out on the PTS server today"). That is why I am asking for some sort of time estimate of availability.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Holy crap! Did H*ll freeze over?! Or naybe it's just been about a year. <-- I say this because it looks like a new zone and new actually playable mission content (that's more then just another one off repeatable Alert) is actually being added to Champions Online.

Whomever snuck in the 'approval for dev time' form (and probably made said form look like they were okaying something for Star Trek Online; or Neverwinter); thanks, ;)

[Hell, I may actually need to patch Champions Online and log in again (after about 6-7 months of no doing so) once this hits the actual Live CO server.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    Armsman-KConniesig-Original0454.jpg
    PWE Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    Woot new gear!!! And new devices! And 20-player endgame stuffs! GIMME NAO!!!
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    >_> New stuff thats not a lockbox. What strange voodoo is this?
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • bringmeaslabbringmeaslab Posts: 187 Arc User
    nepht said:

>_> New stuff thats not a lockbox. What strange voodoo is this?

Kaizerin voodoo!
  • kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    Eidolon of Destruction is thiiiiiiiis the new Cosmic mayhaps?
  • kriss94kriss94 Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Ignore me.
  • syphervsypherv Posts: 89 Arc User
    happy to see more content coming to this game, excited as i actually just subbed back after a long break last night, hoping to get myself back into it again, good job devs can't wait :)

The internetz is one crazy place! tread carefully!
    I apologize for my negativism earlier. You guys probably have the right idea -- it is substantial new content when we didn't expect such a thing, and that should be commended. :)
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    Shadow Destroyer again? That purple grape has more presence in CO than the actual Dr. Destroyer. Well, at least there's new stuff so I'm happy with that.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • dr490nbr347hidr490nbr347hi Posts: 260 Arc User
    I'll take it.

@dr490nbr347hi / Playing since January 25, '11
    Display normal Internet behavior. Come and make fun (yes, make fun) of my PRIMUS page.
  • strongbeaustrongbeau Posts: 43 Arc User
    Hopefully this update will return the Pulson RF Pistol weapon skin to Gadgeteer blaster powers.
  • beerbanebeerbane Posts: 197 Arc User
    ... wait... we can finally get Shadow Destroyer's Double Cape thing as a costume? ERMAHGERD!!!
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    Good. As long as they don't ruin the voiceovers.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    By doing them? :p
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    If there is a new cosmic, could the fight be more about the mechanics and not player builds? This is a super hero game with a tag line of "be the hero you want to be". A quick perusal through the cosmic help thread makes it clear that I would be expected to make changes to my toon for best results. Rift already made mechanics focused zone bosses a long time ago, which seems more fitting for a game like CO.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • gemini2099gemini2099 Posts: 118 Arc User
    This looks amazing!
    Gemini - Lvl 4x - Soldier
    Omicron - Lvl 4x - Mind
    Emerald Myst - Lvl 2x - Claws/Fighting Hybrid
    Epsilon - Lvl 2x - Blade
    Asterius - Lvl 1x - Electric/Void Hybrid

• handofkainhandofkain Posts: 29 Arc User
    Looks awesome, guys! Thank you so much for this new content. Looking forward to playing it and seeing more updates like this
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    Gotta agree with this. any fight should have multiple paths to victory, not rely on a narrow set of power choices. Otherwise, what's the point of having all these powers?
    sterga said:

If there is a new cosmic, could the fight be more about the mechanics and not player builds? This is a super hero game with a tag line of "be the hero you want to be". A quick perusal through the cosmic help thread makes it clear that I would be expected to make changes to my toon for best results. Rift already made mechanics focused zone bosses a long time ago, which seems more fitting for a game like CO.

JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User

Gotta agree with this. any fight should have multiple paths to victory, not rely on a narrow set of power choices. Otherwise, what's the point of having all these powers?

sterga said:

Exactly
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • akaara1akaara1 Posts: 174 Arc User

sterga said:

Exactly
    DPS is always getting scolded and yelled at by tanks/healers, why not throw us a bone and let us just kick the crap outta something without needing to "set up" the fight first. Like LI or Grab but a little harder.
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    akaara1 said:

DPS is always getting scolded and yelled at by tanks/healers, why not throw us a bone and let us just kick the crap outta something without needing to "set up" the fight first. Like LI or Grab but a little harder.

That's pretty much the rest of the game. :P
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    akaara1 said:

DPS is always getting scolded and yelled at by tanks/healers, why not throw us a bone and let us just kick the crap outta something without needing to "set up" the fight first.

That describes all of the two-man missions (also, I have seen plenty of tanks/healers being scolded for not being good enough). In general all challenging large group content is going to require setup (Alerts are basically soloable missions that you have five people on).
  • vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    bulgarex said:

Sigh. Magic, again? The Qliphoth, again? I realize you're trying your best to create new content with what you have to work with, but frankly, this emphasis is getting old, and really doesn't reflect the diversity of either the comic-book source material, or the Champions IP.

I hate to say it, because this might turn out to be well-executed, but it's hard for me to work up any enthusiasm for it. :(

I have to admit I agree, despite my love of all things magic and my inability to stick with a character that isn't a magical queenly type for long. It seems like half the actual story of the entire game revolves around the Qliphoth.

That said, I'm curious about the phrasing of this. That snippet says it's a ZONE?

As in, a map. With open missions. And people can go around in it.

As in an area in which missions can take place, rather than areas built around missions in tiny instances for tiny teams? An actual large area like Millenium City, Desert, Canada, Lemuria, Monster Island, or the poncy place with the Vampire the Masquerade aesthetics?

An actual... Zone.

This is new. This is interesting, for no new Zones have been made for years and years and years.

I am thusly terrified as it is new and unknown and oh god THE END TIMES ARE IMMINENT FOR THE GAME, BRING OUT YOUR DOOMONGERING!
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    except it's an EVIL zone. :p Vibora and Canada are only mildly malevolent.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    As a Canadian, I resent that remark. There's nothing mild about our malevolence. >:)
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    Sorey. ;)
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    bulgarex said:

THIS. Very well said.

I played Champions P&P from V1 up through V5. I owned pretty much every sourcebook. I do not recall this much emphasis on the Qliphcrap. Honestly, I don't remember it at all, though maybe it was mentioned somewhere.

How about actual super-villains in cities? You know, like the vast majority of super-hero comics AND the Champions source material?

Still, at least it's some new content, so thanks for that.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    bulgarex said:

As a Canadian, I resent that remark. There's nothing mild about our malevolence. >:)

I meant the in-game one. :p
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters