Let'z talk: new threat mechanic

dakrushmordakrushmor Posts: 592 Arc User
edited July 2016 in Suggestions Box
Let's see what we got first:
kaizerin said:

Global Advantages

Challenging Strikes
  • Renamed to Challenge!
  • Now applies flat threat over time that varies based on primary and secondary targets.

Crippling Challenge
  • Renamed to Break Through.
  • Threat mechanics of this power have been removed.
  • Can only disable block when used against blocking targets.
  • Block disabling portion lasts 10 seconds. Afterwards applies a 10 second buff that prevents the target's block from being disabled.
  • Also applies a damage, heal, defense and dodge debuff when you successfully apply the block disable. This debuff can be removed if your target damages you and cannot be stacked from any source.
  • If used against a non-blocking target, applies a temporary buff that prevents their block from being disabled.

​​
And now how l propose to do following changes. First, reduce Break Through cost from 3 AP to 2 AP, because its threat generating component was removed. Second - all powers, that have it also should have Challenge! advantage too. Because of that costs 1 AP, purchasing both of them would give something sililar to old Crippling Chalenge. But, of course, this combo won't be needed for PvE, so players now may take just one Challenge! and another 2 AP spend to Rank it up for instance.

A bestial Tank for instance currently has ability #2 - Shred (Penetrating Strikes, Crippling Challenge). With changes its ability #2 will be - Shred (Rank 2, Penetrating Strikes, Challenge!). Because those combo powers always have primary target, Challenge will work with full power on bosses, making threat output close to what tanks formerly had (& it won't require workarounds like Sparkstorm, which completely don't match bestial concept). So in general it will be slight increase to damage in exchange to slight reduction to aggro, but tanking style won't differ much from old, established builds, which people got used to use.

Also, please if possible, add built-in Challenge to Vehicle Taunts, like Flashbang or Flamethrower MK 2. Currently they generate hilarious value of 1 threat/2 seconds, and it just consumes game resources, but has no visible effect on gameplay. Warning Shot's strength now might be similar to "Challenge!"'s primary target, and Flamethrower's comparable to secondary targets.

Comments

• Options
    soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    With that debuff that Break Through has on it (not the block debuff, but the stat debuff), depending on how powerful that debuff is, 3 points might actually be reasonable.

But yes, I agree that they need to add Challenge! to everything to make up for the loss of CC.
  • Options
    Yes, please add Challenge! to everything that had CC. I want my Defensive Combos to keep working. Please think of the poor Behemoths!
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Instead of taking Crippling Challenge, you'll now be taking rank 3 of the power. You'll deal more damage, which means more threat - this extra damage can scale with things like Offense and Crit Chance/Severity so it will actually be better than the extra threat you got from Crippling Challenge. There were already tanks who didn't spam Crippling Challenge to keep threat. On top of that, you'll have 1 advantage point left over to put somewhere else.

Maybe they'll add Challenge to more powers - but if they don't, it's not really a big deal. Adding Challenge to Single Target powers would actually put us way beyond where we are currently on threat.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    If r3 was better than the current CC, I would have already been taking it. So Challenge has to either be better than r3, or only cost 1 point. Otherwise, it's a large nerf to the Behemoth, which would be a terrible idea, because unlike FFs, ATs can't just retcon to something completely different. ATs are locked into their role, and have few mechanisms for accomplishing said role. It's hard enough for less optimized tanks to hold aggro against high dps; we shouldn't be exacerbating the problem.
    Post edited by reaperwithnoname#5949 on
  • Options
    - There are many tanks, myself included, who currently on live already prefer to take r3 of a power instead of CC.
    - Challenge does cost 1 point.
    - Defensive Combo is not losing its innate threat, and when you take r3 it deals both more damage and more innate threat.
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    I'm wondering what the retcon deal will be. I hope they simply issue one freebie per toon.
    I could just add CS to a bunch of existing toons now, I suppose.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    The thing that's missing in this discussion is the fact that a lot of threat wipes have been added as well. This means that it's no longer just the tank's job to hold things. And that is the much bigger change imo. It will actually make the job easier because the people who were dealing enough damage to take tank aggro should be able to discern that they need a threat wipe
  • Options
    kamokami said:

The thing that's missing in this discussion is the fact that a lot of threat wipes have been added as well. This means that it's no longer just the tank's job to hold things. And that is the much bigger change imo. It will actually make the job easier because the people who were dealing enough damage to take tank aggro should be able to discern that they need a threat wipe

But have these aggro wipes been added to ArcheTypes as well (perhaps as alternate choice for overabundant ones)? & they need that in first queue, due their incredible squishiness & high DPS via absense of diminishing returns, also lack of self-rez.
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    A good tank never really needed CC before to hold aggro. The only thing CC was good for was causing issues with all the PvP tryhards that always placed CC on their primary power because they can't bear to live without it. CC isn't the reason I sit there and hold aggro right out of the gate against all the DPS piling on. The only concern I have about this is CC was damage mitigation, and that's been reduced significantly but I will cope with it, or things will have to be adjusted.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,435 Arc User
    But, will they actually use the wipes? Putting powers in the game doesn't mean that those who should use them will.
    kamokami said:

JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options

But, will they actually use the wipes? Putting powers in the game doesn't mean that those who should use them will.

l also see a looooads mooooar scope for TROLLING at Cosmics - by weakened Tank threat gen it's just so easy to outaggro them with nonthreatwipeable AT & cause that Cosmic to turn to & wipe DPS/healers instead!
  • Options
    Well, that's the point I was trying to make earlier. The reason they presumably want to change CC is because dps was using it to pull aggro from tanks and ruin things. But if the overall threat gen of tanks is reduced by these changes, then dps will continue to pull aggro from tanks and ruin things.

The changes are still a ways off, but these concerns should be brought up now, not when it goes live.
  • Options
    dakrushmor wrote: »
    l also see a looooads mooooar scope for TROLLING at Cosmics - by weakened Tank threat gen it's just so easy to outaggro them with nonthreatwipeable AT & cause that Cosmic to turn to & wipe DPS/healers instead!

I don't see how that is even a thing there you are considering because an AT doesn't have the freedom to make a grief build like a FF has. And the two main grief powers in cosmics have been Crippling Challenge and it's taunt and Palliate with Absolve. One of those grief tools has just been dealt with, and again a good tank never needed it to begin with. It's become a bit of a crutch for people, especially some tank builds lately, that they believe they have to have CC on every last power they have and tryhard greatly on a single super stat.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    Most tanks are not what you might consider "good".

Some ATs can potentially grief through raw damage alone.
  • Options

This is just bad perception that sorry to say is wrong headed. It is up to the tank, and always has been, to be able to balance survival with damage. The only reason some modern games it's easier is because they keep ridiculously pumping up the threat generation when it didn't need to be. This is a team effort and it is the responsibility of the team, the tank to generate the threat and the DPS to control their threat.​​
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I know a lot of you tanks out there are worried that you're suddenly going to be rendered useless by this, but after you explore things a bit you'll realize that there are more, and better ways to to hold aggro than spamming CC - and no, I'll cut you off right there, this is not the death of your theme.

Tank threat isn't going to be lowered as much as you think it is - it's really debatable if it's even going to be lowered by a meaningful amount, or at all. Remember that some of the highest threat-generating tanks in the game don't spam CC.
  • Options
    sammiefightersammiefighter Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I'll go on the side of with Challenge! or (New Single Target Threat ) on old CC powers. In fact, when i read the post I thought they'd just be splitting CC into some type of taunt/threat and pvp block breaker (plus debuffs).

You can do the job with a R3 damage build with all the modifiers working in your favor. But for those building / learning / under geared / non optimal, it would be a nice addition to have. Tank training wheels. You don't take it on every power, but its there to take on powers you might want it on like bluegrass said. It could really help aggro for the new cosmic tanking where multiple taps seem to be favored over blasts and maintains (More the ST blasts, as most maintains have Challenge! already).

Short: More options are good?

• Options

This is just bad perception that sorry to say is wrong headed. It is up to the tank, and always has been, to be able to balance survival with damage. The only reason some modern games it's easier is because they keep ridiculously pumping up the threat generation when it didn't need to be. This is a team effort and it is the responsibility of the team, the tank to generate the threat and the DPS to control their threat.​​

There is a significant difference between dps needing to manage their threat and needing to constantly shoot themselves in the foot to the point that they'd have been better off in hybrid role.

Take my Unleashed for example. He has 260 con. He could easily do far, far more damage than he does if I hadn't put so many points into survivability (which I did for precisely the reasons you pointed out; to avoid producing too much threat).

He still routinely pulls aggro from the vast majority of tanks around. And since he's an AT, he has no way to drop aggro outside of TPs (which he takes for precisely that reason, again). So, if I've got this problem despite having built specifically to minimize it, what must it be like for people who haven't done so? It's simply unreasonable to expect every single person to build their characters in such a way.

I can also disprove your assertion that the current threat situation is how it's "supposed to be" based on the fact that player dps has massively increased over the course of the game's lifespan, yet threat gen hasn't increased nearly as much. They even had to introduce a piece of gear specifically to try and fix it.

Of course, this all assumes that the changes will in fact nerf overall tank threat gen, and do so by a significant amount (a slight nerf to threat gen wouldn't necessarily break the camel's back). I am not yet convinced this will be so, but to claim that it doesn't matter if it does is a silly argument, as threat gen is clearly already borked.
    spinnytop said:

I know a lot of you tanks out there are worried that you're suddenly going to be rendered useless by this, but after you explore things a bit you'll realize that there are more, and better ways to to hold aggro than spamming CC - and no, I'll cut you off right there, this is not the death of your theme.

Tank threat isn't going to be lowered as much as you think it is - it's really debatable if it's even going to be lowered by a meaningful amount, or at all. Remember that some of the highest threat-generating tanks in the game don't spam CC.
    That depends on what power you're using. In the case of Defensive Combo, I'm fairly certain R3 doesn't offer as much threat as CC. Heck, even Behemoth King uses CC on his def combo!
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    R3 Haymaker on a tank is very, very good at holding aggro.
    CS is what I would put on an AoE, to grab aggro from mobs.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    Only way to test this out is for people to team up on the pts and test challenge to see if its up to snuff.