test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cool-looking but stupidly slow holds, needs a revision!

ironman12348ironman12348 Posts: 41 Arc User
Hey. I'm kinda wondering, why powers like Ego Sleep, Bollas, Mental Storm can control well on tap, and powers like Ego Hold or Containment Field require charge? Imo that's just stupid, those two are really cool-looking powers. I suggest making those two have activation like powers listed in the first sentence. Holds shouldn't suck that much.

Comments

• sinistro1978sinistro1978 Posts: 280 Arc User
    A lot about holds needs revision. Manipulator still doesn't work with a lot of holds. Most holds remain weak and random. As you pointed out, some holds got some loving, while others aren't even worth looking at. When it comes down to customization and sticking with a theme, picking a decent hold can be a deal breaker.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User

Hey. I'm kinda wondering, why powers like Ego Sleep, Bollas, Mental Storm can control well on tap, and powers like Ego Hold or Containment Field require charge?

Legacy mostly, though mental storm cannot control on tap (its duration is 0s).
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    Many people agree. See also:

http://forum.arcgames.com/championsonline/discussion/1205735/make-all-pure-hold-powers-area-effect#latest

I personally would like to see the big revision made to most (single-target) holds be like so:
    • Maintain holds don't stop halfway
    • Single-target holds have a much shorter recharge versus group ones (exempting holds that would activate AoE effects upon full-charge)
    • Tap/Partial charge - Same effect as current charge, minus special effects; all charged holds that hit one target act exactly the same when tapped, and can be used effectively for a fast, extended hold. Charge duration adds a bit extra hold strength.
    • Full charge - In addition to stronger hold, This activates the hold's special effect. Most of which probably would be amplified from their current forms.
    Pure single-target holds would include:
    • Heatwave (no change, pretty good hold)
    • Containment Field (charging it will activate its damage-reduction on the target, and superior hold strength. This will take an enemy out of the fight for a very long time.)
    • Taser Arrow (lower energy cost, taps and charges always will hold, charges will stagger and knock the target down.)
    • Bolas/Binding Shot (tap deals no damage)
    • Tanglecoil Launcher (charges deal powerful crushing damage over time for hold duration)
    • Ego Choke (no change)
    • Binding of Araton (no change)
    • Crippling Coils (no change)
    The single-target holds that would have AoE functions include:
    • Electrocute (Spreads negative ions to nearby targets. Ionized enemies will get stunned.)
    • Twister (Repeatedly pushes enemies inwards towards held target. Enemies within 10 feet of target get knocked vertically.)
    • Ego Hold (Similar to ego sleep, will create multiple holds in a small radius if fully charged.)
    • Soul Mesmerism (Glossolalia would be built into the power itself instead of an advantage, and only activate on full charge.)
    • Locust Swarm (Fully charged creates swarm pets that will fly around, stinging and stunning enemies with toxic damage.)
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• ironman12348ironman12348 Posts: 41 Arc User

When it comes down to customization and sticking with a theme, picking a decent hold can be a deal breaker.

That's why I'm suggesting that. You've seen me goofing around on PTS and you've probably seen me using Ego Hold alot. Sadly this power doesn't let me perform in PvP well even though I want to stay theme.

• ironman12348ironman12348 Posts: 41 Arc User
    bluhman said:

Many people agree. See also:

http://forum.arcgames.com/championsonline/discussion/1205735/make-all-pure-hold-powers-area-effect#latest

I personally would like to see the big revision made to most (single-target) holds be like so:

• Maintain holds don't stop halfway
    • Single-target holds have a much shorter recharge versus group ones (exempting holds that would activate AoE effects upon full-charge)
    • Tap/Partial charge - Same effect as current charge, minus special effects; all charged holds that hit one target act exactly the same when tapped, and can be used effectively for a fast, extended hold. Charge duration adds a bit extra hold strength.
    • Full charge - In addition to stronger hold, This activates the hold's special effect. Most of which probably would be amplified from their current forms.
    Pure single-target holds would include:
    • Heatwave (no change, pretty good hold)
    • Containment Field (charging it will activate its damage-reduction on the target, and superior hold strength. This will take an enemy out of the fight for a very long time.)
    • Taser Arrow (lower energy cost, taps and charges always will hold, charges will stagger and knock the target down.)
    • Bolas/Binding Shot (tap deals no damage)
    • Tanglecoil Launcher (charges deal powerful crushing damage over time for hold duration)
    • Ego Choke (no change)
    • Binding of Araton (no change)
    • Crippling Coils (no change)
    The single-target holds that would have AoE functions include:
    • Electrocute (Spreads negative ions to nearby targets. Ionized enemies will get stunned.)
    • Twister (Repeatedly pushes enemies inwards towards held target. Enemies within 10 feet of target get knocked vertically.)
    • Ego Hold (Similar to ego sleep, will create multiple holds in a small radius if fully charged.)
    • Soul Mesmerism (Glossolalia would be built into the power itself instead of an advantage, and only activate on full charge.)
    • Locust Swarm (Fully charged creates swarm pets that will fly around, stinging and stunning enemies with toxic damage.)
    I like your idea, but I kinda want Ego Hold to be more like bollas instead of sleep, which actually break on the first hit. Then the AoE component would still be the adv, but that'd be still a really neat power. Imagine energy manipulators getting some love in PvP. Currently people using energy manipulation theme and interesting ideas like Force Blast's adv will have a hard time without going something other than Defile or Force Cascade.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User