test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Trying to build a petmaster

tenebrisnoxtenebrisnox Posts: 43 Arc User
Heya folks, I'll try to be brief. I've been mostly out of the game for quite some time but nostalgia has led me to play it here and there. Got a couple of freeform slots to entertain myself as far as builds go. I've recently been trying to build a somewhat viable petmaster build. Mind you, I don't want to be stuck in a healing stance. I've been experimenting with a hybrid DPS/Support build running AoED alongside my pets using INT/PRE/DEX, INT spec for cooldown reduction lets me keep Ebon shadows and Mechanical Monstrosity up quite often, mostly relying on Celestial conduit for mixed damage dealing and healing.

Thing is, pets survivability (and my own) seems to be in the gutter, I've tried helping here and there on Cosmic raids but pets get one shotted and I find myself respawning quite often up against Qwyjibo. I don't really have the build on Powerhouse and I'm sort of rushing this post, but if anyone has any potential builds or just general advice on pet builds, I'd be thankful. Thanks in advance.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,748 Arc User
    If survival is ur main issue, then ya can always make the switch to AoRP or Med Nanites. it'll considerably lower dmg, though, so its all about whether the trade-off is worth it to you or not. Having Con SS could also help a good deal, as could having a nice block enhancer and/or ADs.

And yeah, Pet builds aren't as great in most Rampage or cosmic-level fights. W/ Rapid Response in Commander its prob easier to just let pets die and re-summon instead of trying to constantly monitor their health and heal them. That spec also speeds up the casting of Sigils, which when combined w/ Mystic Transference allows ya to re-summon destroyed sigils quickly and frequently.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    xkagearashixxkagearashix Posts: 397 Arc User
    I have a petbuild that with Flow's help has been doing wonders for me so far. At current is lvl 21, I been mainly doing nothing but alerts, and my pets have been having decent survival rate. I run her in hybrid and stay back in ranged.

PowerHouse   (Link to this build)

Name: Summoner

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Intelligence (Primary)
    Level 10: Endurance (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Invincible
    Level 6: Quick Recovery
    Level 9: Negotiator
    Level 12: Boundless Reserves
    Level 15: Tireless
    Level 18: Amazing Stamina
    Level 21: Field Ops Training

Powers:
    Level 1: Eldritch Bolts
    Level 1: Eldritch Blast (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Tyrannon's Familiar (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Concentration
    Level 11: Aura of Ebon Destruction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Ritual of Ebon Summoning (Rank 2, Unbound Ritual)
    Level 17: Ritual of Primal Summoning (Unbound Ritual)
    Level 20: Ritual of Radiant Summoning (Unbound Ritual)
    Level 23: Skarn's Bane (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Arcane Vitality (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Sigils of the Primal Storm (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Circle of Arcane Power (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Arctic Beast
    Level 38: Air Elemental

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Flight
    Level 35: Teleportation

Specializations:
    Intelligence: Preparation (2/2)
    Intelligence: Enlightened (3/3)
    Intelligence: Detect Vulnerability (3/3)
    Intelligence: Expertise (2/2)
    Commander: Rapid Response (2/2)
    Commander: Create An Opening (2/2)
    Commander: Multitasker (3/3)
    Commander: Durable (1/3)
    Commander: Savage (2/3)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Retribution (2/2)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Mastery: Commander Mastery (1/1)
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    The big problem for pet builds is bosses that have so much area damage that pets get obliterated even with their area resistance. Pretty much all of the Cosmic fights obliterate pets (and also, bringing pet builds will annoy other players because they may be absorbing heals or buffs that could be better used on a player). Pretty much every fight in Teleios Ascendant will obliterate pets. Rampage Gravitar will obliterate pets (the other Rampages are decently pet-tolerant as far as I can tell).
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,748 Arc User
    Yea, its a bit annoying that so many fights are pet killers at the high-end. I guess it really just comes down to what content the person wants to prioritize, and their tolerance for re-summoning.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    Don't build a pet toon for Cosmics. They'll get destroyed every time or aggro the wrong stuff or absorb aoe heals or just take up power slots that could be better used in that context.

Hearing the words, "No pets please" is pretty common during Cosmics because of their propensity to mess things up. And given how quickly and often they die it's not unreasonable.
  • Options
    kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    kamokami wrote: »
    Don't build a pet toon for Cosmics. They'll get destroyed every time or aggro the wrong stuff or absorb aoe heals or just take up power slots that could be better used in that context.

Hearing the words, "No pets please" is pretty common during Cosmics because of their propensity to mess things up. And given how quickly and often they die it's not unreasonable.

My teammates are my pets! onion-16.gif

Seriously though, I agree that pets don't jive well in Cosmic fights, but that just means I play support more with my petmaster. She's got a heal, she's got some debuffs, AoED buffs teammates' damage, etc. So my recommendation for putting together a good Petmaster build is to give it a healing/support base.​​
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!