test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Proposed New Strat For Fighting Teliosaurus

spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
edited July 2016 in Missions and Content
CONCEPT:

Tanking the babby in the area across the road from the hill kind of sucks - the terrain is hilly, there are devious LOS-breaking trees, and tiny raptors who will try to jump your healer into their gang. DPSing from the hill kind of sucks too - long range dps often can't get as far away as they like, sometimes you slide down the hill in annoying ways, and the hill shoves your camera straight up your butt. Being a healer on that hill can suck too as there are little bumps that can cause you to lose LOS as well.

So I propose we stop using those areas entirely and instead we all stay on the road during the fight.

PICTURES:

There are two ways to go about this, each with their own implications.

This was my initial thought, with the Dinos facing out to the plains. This will be a bit safer at the start of the fight since no breath will be directed at the big hill that everyone starts on. That would be easily enough avoided by having people position themselves safely before the initial pull, but herding cats.

The benefits of this new strategy is that the dps are now on a flatter area with easy LOS to the dino and the ability to back up as far as they need to. Healers also have a flatter area between them and the tanks, and nobody is at risk of pulling extra npcs from the surrounding area. Perhaps most importantly, the Babby tank doesn't have to go into that garbage area with all the hills and trees anymore and instead will be positioning and tanking the babby on the road.
Post edited by spinnytop on

Comments

• Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    Oh please let's do this!

Being out of that annoying area (trees/hills/NPCs) might help the vanishing dino problem, too.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,043 Arc User
    It's 100% times better than fighting in sloppy hills

right now DPSes slip and have limited vision during the fight
    while Baby Dino tanks have issues with the baby keep moving and sliding​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    THANK you! YES!

I never understood why it was decided to fight on the cliff. I've been saying all along this was never a good idea. People just scoffed at me and said lrn2play. This is SUCH a better idea.

Doing it this way, I see less reason the babby tank needs to take the babby around behind mom. It seems to usually spawn at mom's mouth, kind of off to one side. If it always spawns on the same side, we make sure we position the DPS on the other side at the start of the fight. The DPS could be positioned either beach-side or forest-side, whichever is opposite side of where babby spawns. Then the babby tank just pulls it off mom, turns it the right direction, and no need to pull it around.

The other thing I wonder is whether something could be done to slow the babby down. As has been noted in other threads, if the babby drops a KB or hold during a DPS check, a ton of damage can be undone just due to bad luck timing. I know people claim that cosmics can't be mezzed, but could it be debuffed or slowed, if there were enough stacks on it? Has this been tested?

The other suggestion I have heard is just to kill the babby over and over. Keep it in AOE range and let the Fires take care of it. I know there is a claim that mom goes cray cray when babby is killed, but how bad is the freak out? I was on a run the other night that killed the babby a few times and I could not tell any difference in mom's behavior. It did force her to take time to rez the babby. Has this method been tested?
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
  • Options
    rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User

The other thing I wonder is whether something could be done to slow the babby down. As has been noted in other threads, if the babby drops a KB or hold during a DPS check, a ton of damage can be undone just due to bad luck timing. I know people claim that cosmics can't be mezzed, but could it be debuffed or slowed, if there were enough stacks on it? Has this been tested?

The other suggestion I have heard is just to kill the babby over and over. Keep it in AOE range and let the Fires take care of it. I know there is a claim that mom goes cray cray when babby is killed, but how bad is the freak out? I was on a run the other night that killed the babby a few times and I could not tell any difference in mom's behavior. It did force her to take time to rez the babby. Has this method been tested?

From what I gather, Legendary/Cosmic Rank entities are Knock/Hold Immune, even certain Super Villain ranked entities have either one or the other or both Immunities as well, with the exception of using Manipulator to bypass and temporally hold them, as for killing the baby, their isn't much point, the thing will spawn and re-positioning will have to take place which takes time and risks wiping squishy builds in the process, better to leave it in place and murder Mom, oh and she only frenzies when the baby is too far away from her.

Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    From what I've heard frenzy is absurd damage.... one-shot through block kind of damage. Actually AFAIK it utterly ignores blocking.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    So, it looks like this strategy can cause a serious glitch.

If babby spawns too close to mum, with not enough room to move (with PCs around, too), both dinos can blink--almost a short teleport. It may be a hit-box collision glitch.

When this happens, mom gets Frenzied.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options

So, it looks like this strategy can cause a serious glitch.

If babby spawns too close to mum, with not enough room to move (with PCs around, too), both dinos can blink--almost a short teleport. It may be a hit-box collision glitch.

When this happens, mom gets Frenzied.

How does this strategy cause it?
  • Options
    If the babby spawns in between mom and a slope, with players in the way, everyone can get stuck.
    If this persists a bit, mom and/or baby can pop out of place. When facing along the road, this doesn't seem as likely.

I dunno, you can ask BehemothKing's opinion, too. We both observed this a couple times while tanking.

• Options
    Aside from the glitch, how does this strategy work out?
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
  • Options

If the babby spawns in between mom and a slope, with players in the way, everyone can get stuck.
    If this persists a bit, mom and/or baby can pop out of place. When facing along the road, this doesn't seem as likely.

I dunno, you can ask BehemothKing's opinion, too. We both observed this a couple times while tanking.

Wasn't doubting you, was asking how it happens.
  • Options
    kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    What if we just had 2 tanks but they split damage from the baby and mom. And they had 1 healer.

And then DPS got their own dedicated healer.

Is there a position which would work well if the 2 tanks both shared dmg from both dinos?
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    kamokami said:

What if we just had 2 tanks but they split damage from the baby and mom. And they had 1 healer.

Is there a position which would work well if the 2 tanks both shared dmg from both dinos?

It's doable (did it once by accident, though this was prior to regen scaling with player count) though it requires a bit of juggling. What you do is you get both dinos in a V formation pointed at the main tank. This creates a small safe zone in the center of the V, which is not hit by breath or tail from either dino (100' ranged attackers can also just attack from range, as normal).. The problem is that the dinos tend to gradually shift and try to wind up directly opposite one another, eliminating the safe area, so the tank occasionally has to move towards the point of the V (which causes the dinos to turn, sharpening the angle, but may also cause them to move) and everyone inside has to shift.
  • Options
    grimvanegrimvane Posts: 49 Arc User
    kamokami said:

Not exactly what you are describing but this happened recently and I thought it was worth noting and took a pic. It's Behemoth King (I think) tanking Mom and Baby at the same time. It didn't happen on purpose and I think the calls for reset won out, but it looked like a promising position (imo) even without your suggestions.

• Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Yeah, that didn't work, but it didn't work because the healers didn't move and thus got killed by tail swipes.​​
  • Options
    Now if I remember correctly, the glitchy teleporting only happened when we had the Dino facing the hill. When we had them facing out to the plain, it never happened, and the babby spawned pretty reliably in the same fashion each time.
  • Options
    spinnytop said:

Now if I remember correctly, the glitchy teleporting only happened when we had the Dino facing the hill. When we had them facing out to the plain, it never happened, and the babby spawned pretty reliably in the same fashion each time.

You are correct. Facing towards the plain, it worked without glitching.

• Options
    It was pointed out the other day that the best solutions for Kiga and Qwijibo were non-obvious/non-intuitive and had to be told to the players by a helpful dev. I wonder if there is some solution for Dino that is non-obvious. Maybe we need to think outside the box of random, weird stuff, and give that a try.

- - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
  • Options
    I mean, we can beat dino with our current methods. What gets in the way is things like tanks not getting enough healing, or dps dying too often to make the dps check, or people not knowing that the dps check looks like.
  • Options
    cptmassive1cptmassive1 Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    We have tried this a couple times and I really like the idea. I often end up being baby healer (well, til I near ragequit a couple days ago) and the "other side" away from the hill just plain sucks for several reasons:

1) Dino/Viper mobs
    2) That mother@#$%&#$ tree
    3) That OTHER #Q@$#$&^*$# tree

I'm going to get a pic the next time I'm behind the "skinny" tree and though 98% of momma is sticking out on both sides of said tree, the game still reminds me "YOU CANNOT SEE TELEIOSAURUS" (why I target her?...targeting her and then using friend heal power gives quick tank access like the keybind does, but I have it on a controller bind so it can be faster for me)

4) The dropoff where if you're on the grass and the baby tank is chasing baby on the path, you can't always target him/her esp. if tank hitbox is small. I have lost a tank before because they were shorter than the small hill.
    5) The angles. This can be true anywhere but just a reminder to tanks. I am always grateful for whomever volunteers to baby tank - baby tank and healer are the two hardest jobs in this fight. BUT - please be conscious of the angles.

Sometimes I have chosen to be breathed on by baby because I could not escape all 4 arcs and between the two tails and two breath cones it is the one I can survive. If the dinos are slightly off from 180 degrees it can kill the healer with nowhere to run. When the Btank runs out in front of momma, I don't know of many healers who can follow and take momma's halitosis. Also, every time you have to flip baby, you risk the healer dying.

Momma's tail is so inaccurately long I have been killed by her multiple times in placing just like in this pic --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29482110@N06/27843766902/in/dateposted-public/

Sure, we know the tail has extended range but when you have space, then baby, then more space you lose track of it very easily.

Putting us on the flat path solves most of these issues and I am sure the healers will be happy to oblige!