test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Repopulation project

berucrossberucross Posts: 5 Arc User
Its been years since i start playing CO. I normally goes away to try on another games but always come back. Every time the population dont seen to change much and even seens to decrease. However this last time i came back the situation seens quite in bad shape. The market is almost dead and doing alerts you see almost always the same few players grinding it. Thats is when you even find a PuG to do rampages. You see some same old faces punching each other by Defender but dont see many new players. I think this godly great game need some repopulation plan. Something to bring back old players and mostly to get new ones.

In my country there is a saying: "You must give first to receive later". New players that are silver (F2P) just dont know how awsome good this game is. And why is that? To be able to play the best that CO have to offer you MUST have a FF. My suggestion is: give one free FF to new players. To people who says that "then people will start making a lot of alts accounts". Then give a good reason to be better to have only one account like more bond acc itens, few shared bank slots, shared money and others(hideout? who uses that with guilds?). That or maybe a "drive through" idea? Like "make your own archetype". Anyways i think we need more players otherwise the economy dont circle and we cant find party. That and few players cant support a game too. Shutting down this AWSOME game would be quite a waste.

Comments

• They've done that in the past.
  • embracemyswordembracemysword Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Not sure what the OP is about. The economy is fine.. i made a little over 3500 Globals in a week of casual gaming (before my laptop died)
    Post edited by embracemysword on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • I agree shutting it down would be a waste but at the same time it needs a revisioning. I have some ideas but no longer play mostly lurk about so no need express them.
  • berucrossberucross Posts: 5 Arc User
    Well, something done in past that didnt work may be a key to make it work now. Im just a casual player so i have no idea what they did in past. And i dont really think the economy is good. Im not saying about getting resorce boosts and grinding smash. Im talking about action house and sell/buy stuffs with zone chat. Back a year ago for instance at least Heroic set would sell. However its been a week since i came back that im trying to sell just one piece and not even a question about price. Other stuffs dont sell either. Having talked with some old players i know, they say "the market is almost dead" nowadays? What i think about it? No one need as they are all old players with all devices, gears, vehicles and all. Only very few new players come to play and even less stay for a good time and support the game.
  • notyuunotyuu Posts: 1,121 Arc User
    berucross said:

"the market is almost dead" nowadays? What i think about it? No one need as they are all old players with all devices, gears, vehicles and all. Only very few new players come to play and even less stay for a good time and support the game.

That;s not quite the issue, the issue is that it takes an absurd amount of time to generate a reasonable amount of G [selling drops is moving g, not generating] as a result, most people are flat broke.
    In all things, a calm heart must prevail.

Member of Paragon Dawn: Because some people like friendly helpful communities.

eOGi6Cv.png9rfvawn.pngr3iD4nS.png

Yeah some things are broken... no I don't use/abuse them.. where would be the fun in that?
  • xacchaeusxacchaeus Posts: 308 Arc User
    add to that the recent price increases which only harm new players (old players already have what they want)
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    Well, on the upside? Even if we are just shifting the G around the community (which really, we kinda are), at least there are no real G sinks in the game to speak of. The odd healing device on an AT, maybe, but even the tailor isn't a sink if you're a veteran. Might actually explain why farming the stuff is so obnoxious, because once the G is farmed the odds are pretty good that it'll never go away.

I'm actually convinced that at least 10% of our economy is the remnants of that massive G bug in the very early days of the game, and that we're all basically just passing around the same 3 dented gold coins.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User

Well, on the upside? Even if we are just shifting the G around the community (which really, we kinda are), at least there are no real G sinks in the game to speak of. The odd healing device on an AT, maybe, but even the tailor isn't a sink if you're a veteran. Might actually explain why farming the stuff is so obnoxious, because once the G is farmed the odds are pretty good that it'll never go away.

I'm actually convinced that at least 10% of our economy is the remnants of that massive G bug in the very early days of the game, and that we're all basically just passing around the same 3 dented gold coins.

Retcons.

Retcons are the main G sink for players. None of my mains have free retcons left.
    People rebuild toons now because of new powers, power changes, and the demands of GCR content.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Totally agree, CO must be repopulate. The market/economy are dead? Bring back a NEW Crafting system. Some old fatties would say: "Oh no, more grind!".

Yeah baby, more grinding, but a worth one. This must hold most of players, huh?

MAKE CHAMPIONS ONLINE GREAT AGAIN.

Off-topic:

OP said: "You see some same old faces punching each other by Defender but dont see many new players."

Look, Isn't a offense, but I'm so busy saving the world, farming stuff, doing Alerts/Rampages or just kicking some a**es and when I see (always the same faces everyday) these people doing nothing or just fighting each other near Defender, I interpret them as beggars at the church door, homeless heroes or Social Security pensioners.
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    The recent price hikes and the upcoming hike aren't helping the population any. Asian grinders don't do well outside of Asian countries for a reason.
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    This game isn't even on the same PLANET as an Asian grinding MMO. Ever try to get one of the crafted travel powers pre-on alert? THAT was an Asian style grind, you needed like 1000 really rare components to make one widget for the travel power. You needed 4 widgets to make the power. You needed entire exponentially large numbers of em for rank 2 or 3.

Gotta say, this is the only MMO I've ever seen where the devs try to give us stuff to do, and people complain about it. Even the GCR grind isn't *that* bad, considering the fact that it's the top tier gear inthe entire game. Worlds better than WoW, at least, because ours is at least guaranteed in time.

Also, is 4chan leaking again? Looks like middle school let out for the summer.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User

This game isn't even on the same PLANET as an Asian grinding MMO. Ever try to get one of the crafted travel powers pre-on alert? THAT was an Asian style grind, you needed like 1000 really rare components to make one widget for the travel power. You needed 4 widgets to make the power. You needed entire exponentially large numbers of em for rank 2 or 3.

Gotta say, this is the only MMO I've ever seen where the devs try to give us stuff to do, and people complain about it. Even the GCR grind isn't *that* bad, considering the fact that it's the top tier gear inthe entire game. Worlds better than WoW, at least, because ours is at least guaranteed in time.

You haven't played WoW in a long time have you? You can get raid entry gear in a few hours.

This game has plenty of asian level grinds, scr being the worst of those. 975 tokens, at the rate they are given out, for anything is absurd.
  • What was said? A NEW craft system. Of course, dog-brains can't conceive this.

"Oh, you don't know what grind it is", like draogn said, chalupaoffury haven't played WoW in a long time... But, the point is Repopulate CO - and yeah, that means more money coming to PWE/Cryptic. The actual state of the game is a decadent autophagy as said in the closed topic "Who really controls CO anymore?". This is very serious and is bad for business.

Also, is Reddit leaking again? Looks like "minorities" let out for the summer.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    draogn said:

You haven't played WoW in a long time have you? You can get raid entry gear in a few hours.

This game has plenty of asian level grinds, scr being the worst of those. 975 tokens, at the rate they are given out, for anything is absurd.
    And what rate is that? 12 a day for easy dailies? Then whatever else?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    that would be 82 days of grinding, and you have to wait until you have a character at lvl 40 to even start
    actually 12 is just the EASY stuff, more is available.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User

Also, is Reddit leaking again? Looks like "minorities" let out for the summer.

I'm not up on my internet cliques. Can you explain this one to me, mate?

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • embracemyswordembracemysword Posts: 308 Arc User
    gradii said:

Not sure what the OP is about. The economy is fine.. i made a little over 35000 Globals in a week of casual gaming (before my laptop died)

I'd love to know how you make unbelievably huge amounts of globals by "Casual farming", that or how easily you add a few zeroes to a figure by accident. :p
    You're right, i meant 3500 not 35000 (even though 35000 would make me a happier panda)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Could also repopulate it with people unjustly banned by a person on a power trip who's friends target individuals to achieve an agenda. Are lots of people this happened to heck even some lifers. And on topic of farming when I had my old account I could make that amount of globals easily is called hard work aka farming mobs for drops, globals, mods those you improve to higher tier for profit or usage.

Could also repopulate it with people unjustly banned by a person on a power trip who's friends target individuals to achieve an agenda. Are lots of people this happened to heck even some lifers. And on topic of farming when I had my old account I could make that amount of globals easily is called hard work aka farming mobs for drops, globals, mods those you improve to higher tier for profit or usage.

So you're campaigning to get your banned account back?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • No I'm not because I know the difference between inplausible and impossible. My point was there has been quite a few have suffered this injustice and is just something that needs to be known. Perhaps this stain upon image of the game is why few pay it little mind outside those already here.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Confirmed, rebornmonster79 is now a social justice warrior. Hey, didn't you quit? Lemme guess, you're gonna be one of those people that quits the game but lurks in the forums for years to come giving us an endless source of enterteinment.
  • Not really the idea of there being justice in this world is laughable. Mostly because to one party what is justice is an injustice to another thus a never ending dilemma that mankind currently cannot solve at it's current evolutionary stage. But on topic of this game there has never been fair and balanced enforcement of the tos etc. Myself and others been target by first it was a set group of players ganging up on others using chat ban. Then this evolved into a smaller subset wielding power of corrupt figure to enforce their will even further.Maybe this PR image is known to the fringe thus why the population dwindles and never grows at healthy rate. Just my two cents is all.

seems appropriate. ;p
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • No just clarity is all. Clarity to see the world for the rotten diseased apple it is. So why shouldn't this be similar is after all a machination of the same disease.I guess I could find some social satire picture and unoriginal thought to post also. But I have more self respect than that to lean on others ideals / beliefs.

Clarity to see the world for the rotten diseased apple it is.

[Insert picture of emo boy]
  • darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User

No just clarity is all. Clarity to see the world for the rotten diseased apple it is. So why shouldn't this be similar is after all a machination of the same disease.I guess I could find some social satire picture and unoriginal thought to post also. But I have more self respect than that to lean on others ideals / beliefs.

You sound . . . sad.
  • soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User

No just clarity is all. Clarity to see the world for the rotten diseased apple it is. So why shouldn't this be similar is after all a machination of the same disease.I guess I could find some social satire picture and unoriginal thought to post also. But I have more self respect than that to lean on others ideals / beliefs.

Dude, pessimistic much? In all seriousness though, its not as bad as it seems. Nothing ever is.
  • And the emo word people toss about these days. Is having empathy a bad thing is the social norm today being apathic instead of empathic. And I am quite happy actually just want folks see the bigger picture out there. But honestly fooling myself the folks in here will always only see one particular outlook on most things. If one pays attention to detail you can see such things.

But back to OP's concerns they aren't unwarranted to most on outside looking in this game is not doing well but has it really ever in hands that misuse it. And yes OP you are correct it is the same clique of people you see doing that what do you expect in a game barely musters 200 people even in U.S. primetime.

Bye bye tired of prattling on with disillusioned people cannot see truth in front of them. Dear Admins can delete all of my posts etc to make room for the tired stuff you all prattle on about ad infinity.
    edited July 2016
    xacchaeus said:

that would be 82 days of grinding, and you have to wait until you have a character at lvl 40 to even start

So wait, you consider doing enough dailies to get 12 SCR some sort of serious grind?
  • reiwulfreiwulf Posts: 442 Arc User
    I don't think there is an chance of CO getting a real repolulation, unless the devs actively start investing time and money on the game, a thing we have seen has not happened much.
    the game makes enough money to not be shut down, but not enugh to have big changes, that would be needed if we want more people to come here.
    natesig.jpg

reiwulf said:

unless the devs actively start investing time and money on the game

If you think they haven't been putting time in you haven't been paying attention. You think power changes just happen at the push of a button?
    power changes wont bring in new players... new content and advertising will
    I mean substantial time and money. power balance on its own won't change anything.
    natesig.jpg

• soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    New content, which can't be afforded, and advertising, which can't be afforded, would indeed bring more people, but cryptic just doesn't have the money to spend on CO for those. So you got to stick with what they can do. In fact, Power Changes will bring back old players that quit due to power reasons, they might not be new players, but they will increase the population...by maybe 3 people.

So we got to be realistic in things and figure out how to do things with what we got. Instead of wanting what we cannot get. You want to repopulate CO? Get a job, save up a billion dollars, donate lots of that to CO (with the requirement that all the money be spent on CO), bam, new content. Cause seriously, we are not going to get any new major content such new zones any time soon.

we will most probably never have new zones or adventure packs anymore, I agree, however hope is the last thing that is lost and I would love to be proven wrong.
    natesig.jpg

power changes have as much of a chance of driving players away as much as bring them back
    they can be a double edged sword, that is true, but even at their best they won't bring enough people back.
    I wish we could have an honest talk with the devs so they could tell us what they can and cannot do, so we could help them work this game to be a better one.
    like, can they do new maps? can they do new stories? how much time/money they are willing to invest in this game?
    natesig.jpg

We kinda did.... *pokes Mechanon*

The space station thingy wasn't there before..
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    did what? =o haven0t been to space station before, is that a new area? I'm guessing more of a small instance? still its nice.
    natesig.jpg

ah wait, I think I have seen it, when was it added? I remember seeing a similar place around 2 years ago?
    natesig.jpg

It's been a while. At least a year? You have to use the transporter pad in Until(or was it Unity)'s basement to get there.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    xacchaeus said:

power changes wont bring in new players... new content and advertising will

Power changes ensure that those new players stay for something other than the tailor.
    reiwulf said:

I wish we could have an honest talk with the devs so they could tell us what they can and cannot do, so we could help them work this game to be a better one.
    like, can they do new maps? can they do new stories? how much time/money they are willing to invest in this game?

They can do all those things - evidenced by the fact that they have.

I'm not sure what knowing how much money they're willing to put into the game would help us with. If they said "X dollars", how would your suggestions change?

I'm not sure what knowing their working hours would help us with. If they said "I work X hours per week on average", how would your suggestions change?

"Open honest talks with devs" aren't as great as they sound. Too many people around here just look at it as ammo to reload their nega-guns with. Also, devs have to be careful what they say they're considering, because people have a tendency to do the "You said you would do this" routine.

Just keep doing what you're doing. Suggest what you think would be good for the game. The devs take our suggestions - I've seen it happen a lot lately.
    oh, I don't mean like exact quantity, more along the lines of "we don't think we'll be able to make new maps for a while, we prefer to make use of already designed maps, in wich we can put new npc's" so we know that our suggestions can be more focused on those guidelines.
    but you're right, that will probably never happen, so it's probably better to just suggest the things we want.
    natesig.jpg

• n3lln3ll Posts: 21 Arc User
    First of all I'd like to apologize being so late replying one of the most crucial topics I've been thinking myself too. Repopulating even a little bit will sooner or later be crucial especially seeing population reducing all the time. This is gonna be a long post so I'm gonna shorten my re-population ideas here:

Advertising for example via YouTube
    Giving away free limited time FF and/or offering first FF of the account cheaper.
    Giving away free limited time access to wider costume collection (for example Z store)
    Giving away free limited time lv 40 AT of their choice (buy-able once/account to get that lv 40 AT straight)

I may repeat some of the earlier replies but this is what I've noticed; especially over last 4-6 months market has gone down and is now maybe 20% what it used to be before. It's no wonder since there are very few new players and majority are old players who doesn't care items anymore or has everything they want. There are also some old players who are just tired of making G and buying the items so something to make G farming a little bit easier might be good? I'm myself already wealthy enough to not worry about 1kG or 5kG but I know there are a lot of old players who think even that is a lot. Those few new players then again are usually silver and don't buy zen at first so they don't have money to buy anything. Sadly many of those new players quit before even seeing a tiny part of the whole game.

In my opinion one of the greatest part of CO, after the small but awesome community, is costumes and I think it might be one way to attract more players. One way I could think to advertise the game is via YouTube. Own channel for CO might however be hard to reach but one way might be for example if already existing channels like MMOHuts for example would be willing to release pre-made video/make their own video showing the variety of the costumes by showing many creations from tailor and in game environments. (with and without comic-style outlining since some ppl like it and others hate it) I know MMOHuts have made a First Look video where they play lil bit of the tutorial but that doesn't really show anything what the game is like and how it is today! It's missing all the attractive points of the game like the awesome costume creations and end-game content etc. Also it is advertised only as a superhero game, but it's honestly much more than that and over the years I've played I've almost forgotten the superhero theme. It's like any other MMO doing missions and gearing up and having devices and skills except leveling to max takes much less than in most/any other MMO's which isn't bad either since a lot of the content is end-game content.

About the other ideas like giving away free FF slots I don't know since people would just create a lot of accounts and there is really no way to make it better to have one account since many people who wants FF's wants only good builds and doesn't mind so much about account bound things like costumes or devices etc... One thing could be giving them free limited time FF which would turn into AT of their choice when the time is up and/or for example offering the first FF of that account for half price or so, so people would want to buy that one FF at least since it's cheaper, but people wouldn't create multiple accounts so much since it still costs to get and if they use that 2500 zen, they will already like the game and most likely collect items to their account when the next FF wouldn't be so expensive when they have gained some in-game wealth too. Another free limited time thing could be free limited time costume of bigger variety of the costumes (for example unlocking all Z store costumes for limited time which would again make them want to buy those costume packs if they like their creation so much!) Now that I'm talking about the limited time things, 3rd idea would be give them a peek to end-game by giving one limited time level 40 AT of their choice with some basic gear. (aurum?) That could also be buy-able character to unlock right away for example for 3000 zen with that aurum gear.

-IronClaw-
    IronClaw@AllahSemmin in game c:
    what about a free FF slot once you reach lv 40 with an AT? that way even if people make more accounts they would need to first play for a while to get it. I personally wouldnt male a new account and level all the way to 40 just for a free FF slot.
    natesig.jpg

• riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    This game is old - the likelihood of it having a full revival is very, very thin. Right now we are the middle of HUGE power revamp. I doubt anything drastic is going to happen before the developers are done balancing things and fixing resulting bugs.

And even then... this has to be one of the easiest MMO's around. You don't even need end game gear to play endgame. And certain AT's aren't bad for endgame. (I didn't say they were great, I said not bad). The Radiant makes a decent back-up healer. The Savage can complete with many FF builds. The soldier is good if you know how to keep at range. The Behemoth and the Invincible actually are very good tanks.

I've played most of the new end game stuff with nothing but Legion's gear and did well. I haven't done TA - but my computer sucks. So I don't want to subject a small team like that to randomness. But if I DC in a big zone event - no one really cares. Also there's the adventure packs which are quite fun and can be run by AT's.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!