What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Champions Online: Dev Blog - Powers Revisions

2»

Comments

• revanantmoriturirevanantmorituri Posts: 391 Arc User
    ​​
    -
    Formerly @Seschat pre PWEmerger. @Seschat on the Titan boards.

Supporter of the Titan Project.
    ​​
    -

​​
    -

• cyronecyrone Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited February 2016

All right, we're looking at two distinct camps of players responding to the changes.

Camp One, which kallethen appears to be part of, believes these powers were overperforming, and the rest are working as intended.

Camp Two, which appears to be a slightly larger population of the forum, believes these powers are performing adequately, and too many of the rest are underperforming.

Unfortunately, it does not seem these two groups are likely to see eye to eye at any point in the foreseeable future.​​

Sign me up for Camp One.
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
    "There is only one way to support a PFF tank: Send Cyrone lots of money weekly... because he's the only one to successfully be a true PFF Tank." - chuckwolf
  • xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    cyrone said:

All right, we're looking at two distinct camps of players responding to the changes.

Camp One, which kallethen appears to be part of, believes these powers were overperforming, and the rest are working as intended.

Camp Two, which appears to be a slightly larger population of the forum, believes these powers are performing adequately, and too many of the rest are underperforming.

Unfortunately, it does not seem these two groups are likely to see eye to eye at any point in the foreseeable future.​​

Sign me up for Camp One.
    I'll go Camp 2. :) Some literally do not see telepathy/gadgeteering or force. Like, how?.
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    xcelsior41 wrote: »
    Uhhhh...oookay, um, nevermind :hushed:

145.gif
    Pizza is good, you should love Pizza​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • cyronecyrone Posts: 1,028 Arc User

I'll go Camp 2. :) Some literally do not see telepathy/gadgeteering or force. Like, how?.

You make a fair point. I propose a Camp Three. Those who see these powers as overperforming, as well as a vast majority that are still underperforming.

I'll move to Camp Three. :smiley:
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
    "There is only one way to support a PFF tank: Send Cyrone lots of money weekly... because he's the only one to successfully be a true PFF Tank." - chuckwolf
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User

There is always the possibility of "these powers are overperforming, and there are also powers that are underperforming". Most of the underperforming powers don't have a lot of defenders because no-one particularly cares about them, but there's certainly a large number of marginal to useless powers.

There is always the possibility of "these powers are overperforming, and there are also powers that are underperforming". Most of the underperforming powers don't have a lot of defenders because no-one particularly cares about them, but there's certainly a large number of marginal to useless powers.
    A gigantic margain. Pretty much what I've said since my first FF waaay back in '12.
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    Thanks for clearing up the decision making process behind power changes!

The blog mentioned the most used powers, but have you taken a look at the least used powers as well? The impression I get is that the most popular sets have been getting the most balance attention, but the underperformers like Personal Force Field and Archery DPS have been untouched. Will they be getting looked at in the near future?
    selphea said:

The blog mentioned the most used powers, but have you taken a look at the least used powers as well? The impression I get is that the most popular sets have been getting the most balance attention, but the underperformers like Personal Force Field and Archery DPS have been untouched. Will they be getting looked at in the near future?

An archery DPS increase would be kinda cool and PFF? Absolutely for the love of all that is holy please let me be able to use this passive without regretting it the second it gets downed by...anything :/. It's really cool to have a extra HP bar but seems it's not worth it atm. :disappointed:

42 40s, LTSer.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User

*Ahem*
    *Says to the forums* Buff?
    *Loudest nerfherders* Hsss!!!
    Uhhhh...oookay, um, nevermind :hushed:

In the interest of accuracy, please start calling us "Balanceherders", because that's what we really want. It's never too late to take down the strawman.
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    It's not a competitive player vs player game, so what's "balance" got to do with it? Some power sets make the game easier than others... that's OK. If the game difficulty slider worked properly, would I feel bad If saw someone with the same goodies obtained through "Normal" as I'd got via "Elite"? Can't say I would. Play the game how you want with what you want.

It's not a competitive player vs player game, so what's "balance" got to do with it?

If content says that it's appropriate for a team of 5 players, it should provide a moderate challenge to a team of 5 players.
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    "It's not a competitive player vs player game, so what's "balance" got to do with it?"

People like challenge. You can't have challenge if there is no balance. Even people playing social casual games like to be competitive in some form. Social media integration is a great way for people to tweet their high scores to friends and to have them try to one up each other.

Why do you think games like Dark Souls and all of the new, old school style CRPGs have exploded in popularity? Because people want a fair challenge.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    When a window is broken you don't just leave it broken because some people have become accustomed to the breeze.

beezeeze said:

When a window is broken you don't just leave it broken because some people have become accustomed to the breeze.

http://xkcd.com/1172/

Nope, still calling nerfherders by their whines!

And I'll continue giggling at the ironic statements you make :smiley:
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    very few people outside hawaii like pineapple on pizza...and i ain't one of them

my favourite is ham, pineapple and prawns. NO, I'm not in Hawaii.
    Ham and pineapple is a common pizza here​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited March 2016
    xcelsior41 wrote: »

An archery DPS increase would be kinda cool and PFF? Absolutely for the love of all that is holy please let me be able to use this passive without regretting it the second it gets downed by...anything :/. It's really cool to have a extra HP bar but seems it's not worth it atm. :disappointed:

only if they do something about the part of the archery passive, which makes it better to stack INT than your primary SS.

yes, please do something about the PFF passive.
    It's not a competitive player vs player game, so what's "balance" got to do with it?
    If content says that it's appropriate for a team of 5 players, it should provide a moderate challenge to a team of 5 players.

for example;
    Headhunter: L22, suggested team 2: run by solo AT's, in level 19-21.​​

• mrlunkovichmrlunkovich Posts: 59 Arc User
    You got to understand, these "balanceherders" are the people pushing to make the game more PvP centered. Thats all they do all day long, stand around in Ren Center and fight each other with the same 4 or 5 cookie cutter PvP builds, running content for dailies only. They do not want "Balance", the want the game tailored for them and their preferred playstyle. They love PvP so want everyone else to too.
    ~I'm a figment of your imagination, a mass hallucination, only real because you feel I am~
    edited April 2016
    really, I don't do pvp and I want more changes to powers.
    nor am I a min maxer.
    also I notice the people complaining are mostly people with optimized builds, people with less optimized builds, don't seem to have as many problems with the changes.

me liking pvp will only happen, if ;
    1. I never have to take part in it
    2. all the wankers who give it a bad name, go away or at least shut up in zone​​

• roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    chaelk said:

really, I don't do pvp and I want more changes to powers.

nor am I a min maxer.

also I notice the people complaining are mostly people with optimized builds, people with less optimized builds, don't seem to have as many problems with the changes.

This is roughly my point of view, too. I want underperforming powers brought up, and overperforming ones brought down.

I enjoy seeing more build and power diversity when I play in teams, actually. Part of my fun is the delight and surprise in seeing unusual and new character types in action.

Moreover, bringing down the power level of "must have" powers is needed for the devs to build things like TA.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    chaelk said:

very few people outside hawaii like pineapple on pizza...and i ain't one of them

Ham and pineapple is a common pizza here​​
    My favorite is Pineapple, pepperoni, and jalepeno.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters

shadowfang240 wrote: »

Ham and pineapple is a common pizza here

now that, sounds like a good one to try.. after loading up on anti histamines, still burns but less aftereffects.​​

• sovereignbreezesovereignbreeze Posts: 29 Arc User
    Nice to see the game is still going strong! I am a lifetime sub and I just came back after being gone for about a year. I need to do some catch up on changes.
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User

Nice to see the game is still going strong! I am a lifetime sub and I just came back after being gone for about a year. I need to do some catch up on changes.

Going yes, but going strong is debatable. Though the game is finally getting some much needed attention, if that attention is in the right place or not is subjective.
    edited April 2016
    chaelk said:

markhawkman wrote: »
    shadowfang240 wrote: »

Ham and pineapple is a common pizza here
    now that, sounds like a good one to try.. after loading up on anti histamines, still burns but less aftereffects.​​why? you don't eat a lot of pepper?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    I don't care for nerfs, let's have some buffs to under preforming powers.
  • notyuunotyuu Posts: 1,121 Arc User
    I only have one thing to say here

when the hell is the scaling on overdrive going to be fixed?

[atm it scales better off of recovery than endurance or intelligence, despite the tool tip saying it should be the other way around]
    In all things, a calm heart must prevail.

Member of Paragon Dawn: Because some people like friendly helpful communities.

eOGi6Cv.png9rfvawn.pngr3iD4nS.png

Yeah some things are broken... no I don't use/abuse them.. where would be the fun in that?
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    notyuu wrote: »

[atm it scales better off of recovery than endurance or intelligence, despite the tool tip saying it should be the other way around]

I wonder this myself, Overdrive is one of my favorite Energy Unlocks, but the Endurance Scaling is a big fat lie​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    notyuu said:

I did ask, and it seems like the scaling on Overdrive is set like that on purpose, it's even documented.

Overdrive grants +0.0088 Energy every 3 seconds for 15 seconds per stack per point of intelligence or endurance, scaling with the higher attribute.

BUT

Overdrive grants +0.041 Energy every 3 seconds for 15 seconds per stack per point of recovery.

So yeah ._.

No idea why, or if it's just a :trollface: energy unlock. Either way I would like to be able to use it with END or INT.

(Above information taken from >>HERE<< as Overdrive hasn't been mechanically adjusted since it was put on LIVE.)
    avianos said:

I wonder this myself, Overdrive is one of my favorite Energy Unlocks, but the Endurance Scaling is a big fat lie​​

Said it before: Just fix the description, leave the power as is otherwise.
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

avianos said:

What I was thinking, it's like with Gears of War 3 and the Sawed of Shotgun, for some reason the description was changed cause people raged about it in the literal sense what it was, I was like *Face palm* Really?

Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
    spinnytop said:

avianos said:

I'd rather see it scale on END or REC whichever is higher but is influenced by your Intelligence.
  • chuckwolfchuckwolf Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited May 2016

spinnytop said:

avianos said:

I'd rather see it scale on END or REC whichever is higher but is influenced by your Intelligence.
    Personally I think all powers should scale off of all 3 Superstats no matter what those superstats are.
    @Powerblast in game
  • chuckwolf wrote: »
    Personally I think all powers should scale off of all 3 Superstats no matter what those superstats are.

i'd prefer that too; then you don't have to be pigeonholed into taking specific superstats for a specific energy unlock​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    edited May 2016
    chuckwolf said:

That would be an unnecessary amount of work to carry out. Also you would have to likely adjust innate bonuses and effects that super stats grant, not to mention all the specializations etc.

I do agree that SOME powers could move away from certain stat scaling but definitely not all.

Having to use a specific stat to achieve X is good, since it means that not everyone is running around doing the same thing "cause it works". Having stats linked to certain abilities such as Energy Unlocks is a form of reward for investing in it.

Technically you can still use all the powers in CO with whatever stats you like, its just that the results will be p*ss poor in comparison to someone who utilized specific stats to achieve their intended build. There's nothing wrong with having to sacrifice a little for something.

For me, the thing that annoys me is when I invest in something and my investment is not rewarded but that's for another discussion.

chuckwolf said:

That's boring. Last thing we need to do is push the game back towards being boring.
  • darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

chuckwolf said:

That's boring. Last thing we need to do is push the game back towards being boring.
    I don't know. I really wouldn't mind it. Might bring in a bit of build flexibility.
    My first thought is that you'd probably enmd up with nearly all builds having Con/str/dex or something as super stats.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters

My first thought is that you'd probably enmd up with nearly all builds having Con/str/dex or something as super stats.

Pretty much. What would be most likely in fact is that everyone would just go back to exclusively stacking Con - in other words, it would cause everyone to go back to the meta that we're currently trying to move away from, and would be a huge step backwards.
    Well, it means people would stack whatever stat gave them the best bonuses that were inherent to the stat. As most inherent stat bonuses are somewhat meh in the current state of gear (used to be dex was the only source of crit and int the only source of cost/cooldown reduction), that pushes towards Con.
    now I kinda wonder if any ATs actually have either of the two energy stats as SS...
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • a lot of ATs have rec/end as a superstat...as a PRIMARY, however, i don't know​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • tditstdits Posts: 666 Arc User
    a lot of ATs have rec/end as a superstat...as a PRIMARY, however, i don't know

The Impulse's stats are primary end with secondary ego and int.​​

WARNING: Not An Actual Internet Reviewer

• chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

avianos said:

You ever play the Invincible? If so, you might not be saying that. The thing flat out sucks on energy because of how overdrive scales with it's primary super stat. Plus, reliance on rec? For something that eats a ton of energy? Do you want to constantly interrupt your toggles? Because that's how you constantly interrupt your toggles.

It's pretty terrible when an energy unlock works better for literally everything else, except the framework it comes in. I kinda feel like "scales better off of X superstat" is pretty naff when we're dealing with energy unlocks. Game lacks variety for em as is, imo. Being pigeon holed even further by SS choice is counterproductive.

Kinda hoping I got/get retcons for all of this. I only had one viable character (And even then, she was a bit under-optimized because of other nerfs) BEFORE powers started being fiddled with. I've not been in game specifically because I have no toons anymore, it's kinda bulls**t. I flat out refuse to farm so I can correct power changes the devs forced on us, I already have 20+ characters to re-gear.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    >Would be great if it scaled well off INT/END and REC

Yeah, I kinda feel like it'd make more sense for all of the energy unlocks to treat the associated superstats equally. You stack a bunch of rec? You should be getting huge energy returns, that's why you stack rec. But if it says it works off of int, int should do what rec would. It ain't like a bunch of us are SSing Int/Rec as is.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine