test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

PSA: Reviving During Kigatilik Fight

xrazamaxxrazamax Posts: 979 Arc User
There seems to be some confusion with reviving during Kigatilik encounters. People are saying that healers should NOT revive players during the fight with Kigatilik. The thinking is, "Well, they'll just die again and thus heal Kigatilik once more since he heals when players die."

This is incorrect.

When you die, there is an internal cooldown that prevents Kigatilik from healing again due to your death. Therefore, you do not need to worry about giving Kigatilik health if you die right after being revived.

Now, the argument is usually then made, "Healers should still not revive players. It is faster if they just respawn/ dying twice in a row sucks, better if I start far away/the healer should just heal, not waste time reviving."

These are also incorrect statements and bad strategy for the most part for the following reasons:
  • When you die, you cannot give Kigatilik healing for a set amount of time afterwards. If you choose to respawn, you'll be wasting that cooldown timeon traveling back to Kigatilik.
  • If you know a healer won't have the ability to revive you in a timely manner, then the proper thing to do is respawn. However, if you see they are providing other players with revives, wait just a moment. The healer will make the decision if they have the ability to respawn at that time.
  • When you respawn, you lose a star. This diminishes your damage bonus. You will now do less damage for the rest of the encounter unless you recover those stars. If all DPSers are respawning, there is a major drop in the team's damage output.
  • If you think a healer is making things worse by reviving instead of constantly healing, consider that each time you respawn and lose a star that your healing bonus diminishes. Your self healing is now lower and you put more stress on the healer.

TL;DR - give the healer a chance to revive you if it looks like they might be able to. You'll keep your stars, and you won't give kiga healing if you immediately die again due to an internal cooldown mechanic that prevents it.
Post edited by xrazamax on

Comments

• Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Even if you're right about the debuff, you still shouldn't be reviving people in the middle of a cosmic fight unless the fight is under control, because they'll just die again. Ressing someone to have them die again five seconds later does nothing but add five seconds to the time it takes them to return from respawn.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Even if you're right about the debuff

There is no "if". The internal cooldown exist. This is a stated fact.

you still shouldn't be reviving people in the middle of a cosmic fight unless the fight is under control, because they'll just die again.

Dying again hurts nothing, but obviously it is on the healer to decide if it is a good time to revive. Of course priority needs to go to keeping the tank alive. However, if the tanks are good with blocking and the healers are keeping them steady then there is plenty of time to revive players and get them back to doing damage. Also, the argument of "they'll just die again." can also apply to someone who respawns far away, with one less star, and joins the fight again. They could "die again" too but with added travel time.

Ressing someone to have them die again five seconds later does nothing but add five seconds to the time it takes them to return from respawn.

It prevents them from losing stars and healers who have things under control can get them back into the fight much quicker. If the tanks have aggro, they won't die again because they won't be receiving damage when they revive.
  • Options
    xrazamax said:

It prevents them from losing stars and healers who have things under control can get them back into the fight much quicker. If the tanks have aggro, they won't die again because they won't be receiving damage when they revive.

You were ressing with a mass wipe and three dogs on the altar.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

If you are referring to a run from earlier today, you are mistaken. I am a ranged DPS and did not player as a healer today or even yesterday.

In such a situation, if the team is going to reset, then rezzing becomes a non factor because a wipe is... well.. a wipe. Everyone has to respawn because everyone is dead - including the healer. However, if it is not established that the team is going to wipe and reset, the same rules apply in normal circumstances.

• Options
    xrazamax said:

If you are referring to a run from earlier today, you are mistaken. I am a ranged DPS and did not player as a healer today or even yesterday.
    Okay, someone else was doing that. The main point is, don't res people in situations where they're just going to die again. That usually means ressing on the altar is useless; at least if they respawn they'll be at full health with toggles active.
  • Options
    chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Nevertheless, I still prefer Healers focusing more on healing than reviving. Healers put themselves in a vulnerable moment when they are trying to rev someone. (Not all healers have bubbles/Bionic shielding). If they die trying to revive peeps, then more hp for Kiga....and possibly death to the tank.(then more hp for Kiga)

Losing stars isn't that much of a deal. You can just refresh it with the Star Refills quickly. That's what they're made for, right?
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • Options
    rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    xrazamax said:

TL;DR - give the healer a chance to revive you. You'll keep your stars

I'd prefer this type of attitude in general, weither In Alerts, Rampage, Cosmics or anything else, to be taken care of because courtesy, circumstances permit, Supports supporting, rather then being marginalized for example only one to down in a Alert and no-one cares cause they expect everyone to trivialize the content... the monotony becomes very tiresome.

Nevertheless, I still prefer Healers focusing more on healing

I'd prefer that to if they were covering anyone they can, not just the primary tank, and no I don't particularly care about the star refills being interpreted as a consolation for recovering cause if you tolerate the attitude of 'your not worth it or too busy healing primary tank' you'll breed resentment/Frustration (Coming from a Complimentary Tank experience during these Cosmics)... the thought/effort into helping wither healing or reviving is appreciated, again, circumstances permit.
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • Options
    deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    Revival is faster than the process of recovering, toggling form, and traveling back, but it's opportunity-based. You know, Supports do NOT have to be the only ones making judgement calls on revival vs letting everyone recover. Consider looking at how the tanks are doing, seeing if their situation is dire. If it is, feel free to hit recover to let healers continue ensuring the run's survival. If they are doing perfectly fine and not getting squashed, wait a moment. Someone may already be attempting revival and by hitting that recover button you've just wasted their time much more than you think you would by letting them do the revival.

Typically, after aggro slips up and some DPS or Nutcase-using-Crippling-Challenge-who-isn't-a-tank causes a mass of people to die, we need to revive more than we need to heal the tank. Aggro messing up causes healers to die too, and we want them up 24/7. Hitting recover and traveling back takes more time than people realize. If we see an opportunity, we'll take it. If not, then you are free to hit Recover. A single healer can heal or revive, but not both at the same time, so be aware of the entire battle's situation before making the call to Recover.

We want you back on the front ASAP, but we also have other duties to attend to. Help your supports and take the time to pass your own judgement. If we both can agree on it based on what's going on without saying a word, things go much smoother. It's a matter of assessing the situation, and deciding the best course of action. Things get clunky when our judgements disagree, such as when others expect revival when the healer is hard at work keeping the fire going, or when others believe it best to walk all the way back when the healer sees revival opportunity to be a safe bet. Do not automatically assume "X choice is better," instead just be aware of what's going on on both the macro and micro scales.​​
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    1. I have rezzing on my main character, who usually does DPS. If I can throw up a bubble and do some rezzing in a cosmic battle, I will.

2. Before you spend too much time invested in "you lose stars when you respawn", check the numbers for you damage and healing at different amounts of stars. On level 40 toons with toggles, R3 passives, high-end gear, etc., the stars make very little difference in DPS/HPS. When my Lightning Arc drops from 2200 DPS to 2160 DPS . . . so?

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    xacchaeusxacchaeus Posts: 308 Arc User
    stars? what are those?
  • Options
    aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    The thing that bothered me about this arguement in game was that people were "blaming" the healers for messing up the fight by resurrecting dps players. And even went so far as threatening to put players on ignore that explained how Kiga's heal mechanics work.

2. Before you spend too much time invested in "you lose stars when you respawn", check the numbers for you damage and healing at different amounts of stars. On level 40 toons with toggles, R3 passives, high-end gear, etc., the stars make very little difference in DPS/HPS. When my Lightning Arc drops from 2200 DPS to 2160 DPS . . . so?

So . . . you are looking at the wrong things. The people who are (should be) the most likely to die and who we all want the healers to have to spend the least amount of time on are the dps group. Those generally have a ton of damage bonus far into the diminishing returns, so adding 15% to that is not very meaningful. But at least my own dps builds do not have any healing bonus, so adding 15% healing bonus makes my heals exactly 15% better, which is very significant.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Just to clarify:

I'm not saying that healers need to make sure they are reviving people or that you need to wait for a revive instead of respawning in every circumstance. You need to be aware of whether a healer will be able to revive you, if it is possible to revive soon, if the tanks are needing constant healing, etc.. The Healer will also need to decide if they can spare a moment to revive. The issue is that there are players who will tell healers to NEVER revive and to stop reviving players and even go so far as to accuse them of making things worse.

If you find it is better for you to respawn because you can get back into the fight quicker or for any other reason, then PLEASE RESPAWN. However, many healers will have the ability to keep their tank alive and still pull off revives with no problem and in doing so they will be greatly helping out.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    xrazamax said:

The issue is that there are players who will tell healers to NEVER revive and to stop reviving players and even go so far as to accuse them of making things worse.

In that particular incident, they were making things worse. If one person dies, sure, res them. If twenty people die at once, your mass res power raises them all up at 7% health and they just die again instantly in a snowstorm so just stop doing that. The general thing is: only res people if they're going to actually survive.
  • Options
    There was no nuance like that at all.
  • Options
    aiqa said:

There was no nuance like that at all.

Well, I was a bit irked by dying three times in a row because of someone being dumb.
  • Options
    I can imagine. There were a few things that went very wrong.

From my point of view the main problem were a few (melee) dps players dying again and again. But it might not have been only their own fault, the positioning of all melee players seemed to be a bit off. Both the tanks and the dps were not making proper use of their 10 feet range.
  • Options
    grimvanegrimvane Posts: 49 Arc User
    Between people who have no clue and keep dieing and one intentional griefer we just had a full zone completely fail and give up on Kiga. It's really frustrating that the lowest common denominator gets to enjoy not beating the content while the rest of us get screwed.

• Options

xrazamax said:

The issue is that there are players who will tell healers to NEVER revive and to stop reviving players and even go so far as to accuse them of making things worse.

In that particular incident, they were making things worse. If one person dies, sure, res them. If twenty people die at once, your mass res power raises them all up at 7% health and they just die again instantly in a snowstorm so just stop doing that. The general thing is: only res people if they're going to actually survive.
    Even in this instance, it isn't a big deal for people to get revived. When they are revived, they can use self heals and the healer can heal them with passive healing abilities like specs or even targeted heals if they are able. If the problem is that healers are healing people during snowstorms, then that is a specific problem to be pointed out - don't revive people during snowstorms. That doesn't not mean healers should not revive people on the altar in general.

• Options
    xrazamax said:

That doesn't not mean healers should not revive people on the altar in general.

While there are conditions under which it makes sense to revive people on the altar, my experience is that it's only rarely valuable, and a default of "don't bother" is appropriate.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    IF I die, (dps) I'll recover and run back. There's a brief pause when you get ressed(at least for me) when I can't do anything, which is when I usually get killed again.
    Healers want to res, it's up to them and whether they think they can get it off safely.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    Quite honestly... it's up to the healers discretion when to revive. If someone spent the time to build a healing toon that can handle cosmic content - then they've earned the right to make their own choices. If someone wants to decide when to rez and when to focus reviving DPS roll they can roll their own healer. And that's not aimed at one person.. I mean anyone.

But if you're on a non-healer and yelling at healers if they rez someone.. quite frankly bug off. Do your job and let the healer do theirs. And the opposite - if you're on a dps and screaming for a rez every few seconds.. bug off. Sometimes I might choose to rez a dps'r if things are going smoothly. Sometimes I may not - especially if the tank is getting hit very hard or if there's a dot that prevents me from charging powers.

It's the healer's decision not yours... play your own toon.

Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • Options

It's the healer's decision not yours... play your own toon.

If I had the ability to block people from ressing me, sure. Since I don't, the only other option is to tell the person "stop doing the unhelpful thing".
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Quite honestly... it's up to the DPS discretion when to pull Kiga aggro and get everyone killed. If someone spent the time to build a DPS toon that can handle cosmic content - then they've earned the right to make their own choices. If someone wants to decide when to attack a CC'd dog or get frost tombed in the air where no one can see them and cause a wipe, they can roll their own DPS. And that's not aimed at one person.. I mean anyone.

It's the DPS's decision not yours... play your own toon.

FTFY
  • Options
    grimvane said:

Quite honestly... it's up to the DPS discretion when to pull Kiga aggro and get everyone killed. If someone spent the time to build a DPS toon that can handle cosmic content - then they've earned the right to make their own choices. If someone wants to decide when to attack a CC'd dog or get frost tombed in the air where no one can see them and cause a wipe, they can roll their own DPS. And that's not aimed at one person.. I mean anyone.

It's the DPS's decision not yours... play your own toon.

FTFY
    Everyone's favorite player. It just wouldn't be a cosmic run without people like this.
  • Options
    My point is that if you are rezzing people who are causing the fight to become a stalemate until...

1. We miss a frost tomb
    2. A couple dogs get loose
    3. A DPS peels Kiga aggro off of the main tank and he starts AOE bombing squishies
    4. A griefer shows up
    5. etc.

... then you might as well be doing any of the things that we yell at DPS for doing. The cooldown on healing from individual death is irrelevant when it doesn't prevent Kiga from healing more than we can dps. It would take a group of 33 people averaging 2k dps over 18 seconds to undo the healing gained from four people who keep dieing.

If the dogs are under control, and Kiga is under control, any DPS who is dead on the altar is probably hurting the group a lot more than they are helping it and should be left out of the fight as long as possible. That's the sign. It doesn't really get much clearer than that. There's not a lot of grey area or need for discretion.

These guys show up... level 22, level 26, etc. I invite them to team. I ask them to sidekick. I ask them to click the open mission team up button. I explain the fight. The level 22 who has never done this before has no problems blocking the ice storm, shooting the tombs, and not dieing.

So who is dieing in this fight? Who is healing Kiga? Are there people who are not using block during the storm because they know you are just going to rez them anyway?

However long this cooldown is, I'm sure it's over by the time the next ice storm comes around. We want the people who would die to ice storm to still be dead from the last time so we can make progress in the actual fight instead of stalling until it falls apart. Don't even tell them to hit the recover button. Just let them keep calling for a rez. We need them out of the fight as often as possible without healing Kiga.

We aren't losing the Kiga fight because we don't have enough dps. We lose it because people keep dieing. Don't rez those people.

How much dps does someone who dies every ice storm have to do to make up for that 300k heal to Kiga? 10k dps? 15k dps? How are we supposed to win if you keep rezzing 3-5 of those people?

TL: DR
    1. Rez tanks and healers
    2. Trick DPS into calling for help
    3. Profit.

• Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    When I'm dpsing on Kiga and I die, I hit the recover button because I have noticed a trend - when I do wait to see if I will be rez'd, I generally spend more time waiting to see if someone will rez me than the amount of time it would take me to recover and run back. I would suggest for folks to just recover and run back - but also don't get on anyone's case if they do rez since there's really no downside to it ( unless of course they chose to rez when they should have been healing the tanks, and the tanks die... in that case send hate mail ).

As for stars, I consider those largely irrelevant. As a dps, that 15% extra healing won't do anything meaningful for my ability to survive ( a heal for 1000 becoming 1150 won't save my butt ), and each star appears to increase my damage by about 0.1%. People can just ignore stars as a factor in anything.

Also Mira, keep in mind, people are going to keep getting on your case about this because some people are just going to do that. Don't let it bug you, and don't be too disappointed when people don't listen.
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    When I play my main healer, I sometimes do not get assigned a tank (such as if I show up late).
    In that case, yes, I frequently use my group rez when a bunch of heroes get defeated at Kiga. They come back with 1/3 health, and that is immediately followed with more healing to everyone rezzed. I paid careful attention to this tactic on Kiga yesterday, and I did not have any instance of this strategy being bad for the group.

Rezzing the same person over and over, who gets defeated once a minute or two, is definitely unhelpful, though.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    spinnytop said:

When I'm dpsing on Kiga and I die, I hit the recover button because I have noticed a trend - when I do wait to see if I will be rez'd, I generally spend more time waiting to see if someone will rez me than the amount of time it would take me to recover and run back.

Yes, this. Watching people just lay there and be corpses can be pretty frustrating. Especially during fights with DPS checks, or when a Kiga Dog Tank dies and just decides to take a breather, or when the Baby Tank or Healer do the same.

Rezzes are super useful in instanced content where there is a lockout. But for Cosmics, you can rarely go wrong by hitting Recover right away.
  • Options
    lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    There are two things we are short on during Cosmics, in no particular order:

1) Tanks
    2) Healers

If you pay attention to the list I made, DPS is not there (check 1 and 2 again just to be sure).

Most often than not, at the beginning of Kiga we have barely enough Tanks and Healers to pull it off (more show up when the chat in Cosmic is looking positive and they are guaranteed a succesful run). We are frequently running 4 dog tanks, 4 dog healers and 1 main tank and 1 main healer.

With that distribution, even if the situation is looking ideal, all it takes is for Solidarity the Healer to get distracted trying to revive Faceplant the DPS while Unlucky the Tank suddenly gets Frost Caged. While held Unlucky cannot block Kiga's continued attacks so he dies and the whole thing goes to chaos.

All because Faceplant couldn't bother to respawn 20 feet away and pull the mobs on the path to Kiga to get the dog healers killed.
  • Options
    We do often miss dps checks.

In CO many players think that when they can't tank or can't heal they're dps. But playing a dps is not that easy, you need to:
    - survive while being dependent on healers as little as possible
    - do your part to complete all the dps checks
    - not pull agro from tanks that need to block more than half the time

Almost all dps players fail at least one of those, and many two or even three.
  • Options
    behemothking#9246 behemothking Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    lezard21 said:

There are five things we are short on during Cosmics, in no particular order:

1) Great DPS players
    2) Perceptive and attentive new learners
    3) Great Tank players
    4) Great Healer players
    5) Great leaders

If you pay attention to the list I made, DPS is there.

Fixed it up for you just a bit. Of course, in contrast, we have an excess of regular attendees that don't improve or aren't willing to improve (almost entirely the latter).

By "great", I mean the ones that are well-informed about each aspect of the cosmics. Ones who can exploit openings in each cosmics' attacks to resurrect/heal others, deal continuous damage, generate threat, and tell the clueless what to do. Ones who know the attacks and their own capabilities well enough to correctly sort them into blocking categories like: always full-block, should block, half-blockable, unnecessary to block. Ones who know when to take risks to ramp up or take precaution and slow down their threat generation. Ones who adjust according to the current situation to position themselves in safer areas, to plan for the next attack, and to resort their constantly changing list of priorities. Ones who are able to stay calm and manage stress when attempting a common goal with 49 other, sometimes uncooperative, players.

Players with situational awareness, knowledge on threat/blocking/power mechanics, a drive to improve and question current methods of taking on cosmics, and a will to cooperate through defeats until victory. Only a very small group of players have some of these traits or do some of these things. They're the ones who are really the deciding forces that are making cosmics succeed, or fail when they are absent.

We don't only need great experienced players, but new players as well who can grow to fill in these spots. They've got to be good listeners and be willing to learn, which isn't simply declaring that you want to learn. They need to show some incentive by asking questions when they can't seem to beat something. They read the update notes and read guides on game mechanics. They identify that they are making mistakes and the mistakes they are making. They're the ones who are making changes in their playstyle rather than repeating the same thing over and over in expectation of a different outcome.

Might sound like too much, but it really isn't a lot to ask for, for something so endgame. It actually gives players something to work on after reaching level 40; a reason to focus on growing a main character rather than making new ones repeatedly.

Furthermore, to those players that attend cosmics ONLY for the GCR and are sitting in that "aren't willing to improve" category, stop. We have enough dead weight already with the scaling changes that are being made and the same dead weight players seem to be inhibiting changes that would make cosmics better and an actual challenge (being able to clear cosmics with such dead weight attests to its current low difficulty level). People who do this don't need it anyway since they don't care to experience content. Players that are new and improving are the ones who really need it since they'll actually put it to good use and will actually be returning something to the community with their skills and services.

Cosmics are a great challenging addition to the game, but we are short on much more than what you think and I fear that they may be left to die if players continue their current mindset. I want to see the game grow and I see this as another good stepping stone in that direction, so let's not waste the opportunity.

On topic post:
    It's all situational, really. Up to both the DPS and the healer to make separate decisions. Resurrecting is a great help, provided that it's done correctly and meaningfully. There should be careful discretion by the healer as they shouldn't abandon their current job in order to resurrect if doing that would cause a problem. Most of the time though, there is definitely spare time to resurrect and I find that healers that claim otherwise are either lazy or can't make decisions correctly. However, in an emergency case where tanks are getting started on grabbing aggro again after a wipe or where you don't see healers around, as DPS it's better to just recover by yourself.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    In case any DPS players are reading all of this and thinking, "but where can I learn?" - check out the latest 2 posts in the thread in my signature
  • Options
    aiqa said:

We do often miss dps checks.

In CO many players think that when they can't tank or can't heal they're dps. But playing a dps is not that easy, you need to:
    - survive while being dependent on healers as little as possible
    - do your part to complete all the dps checks
    - not pull agro from tanks that need to block more than half the time

Almost all dps players fail at least one of those, and many two or even three.

Note that the game doesn't do anything to tell you whether you're succeeding at #2; if you're not running a parser it's very hard to tell whether you're doing your part, other than looking at scores after a successful run, and that can be heavily distorted because scores don't reset after a wipe.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

if you're not running a parser it's very hard to tell whether you're doing your part, other than looking at scores after a successful run, and that can be heavily distorted because scores don't reset after a wipe.

Yeah DPS fails are not nearly as visible as those of tanks and healers.

The times when you really want to tell how well you're doing are *during* the run.....especially when it's failing.....not after it's already succeeded. Very few people are thinking about how they could have done better when they're grabbing loot from the reward circle.

It'd be great to have a visible scoreboard *during* the run. Doesn't have to be real-time. It could just first show up when the cosmic is down to 2/3rds hp and get updated when it's down to 1/3rd hp.