test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Musical Power Set Idea- The Virtuoso!

yinjeighyinjeigh Posts: 225 Arc User
edited September 2014 in Suggestions Box
Greetings fellow players and devs!

So, I know Music is a set that has been mentioned a few times, and even drafted by one or two other players. My goal with this post is to sort of show more support to the idea of a Music-based set, as well as give some of my own power, animation, and toolbar suggestions for the set.

This set would base around buffing yourself+teammates, as well as some Crowd Control and maybe even DPS if built properly.

The Virtuoso mini-set would fall under Mysticism, as it is meant to have an almost supernatural effect. Powers in this set would have a drop-down menu(depending on the power) that would allow you to pick between different instrument skins/animations.

Now, allow me to introduce a few new effects. These will make more sense when you see the powers they are attached to, how they proc, etc.

+Encore!: This is a buff that is granted to you when you deal Sonic damage to an opponent. This buff reduces the cost and cooldown of your Sonic-type attacks by 10%. This can be gained at most once every 4 seconds. Max of 5 stacks.

+Crescendo:This buff stacks on your allies, gradually increasing their Offense and Defense by 10 points per stack of Crescendo. Max of 3 stacks.

+Out of Tune: This debuff slows your opponent's movement speed and reduces their resistance to Sonic Damage and CC effects. The enemy takes Sonic Damage over Time for the duration of any Maintained Attacks they use.

Aspect of the Maestro:FORM TOGGLE
+Increases Sonic damage you deal.
+Your Crowd Control Powers cause the opponent to take Sonic Damage over Time. Applies the Out of Tune debuff if an enemy breaks free of your CC, or when the CC duration ends.
+While this power is active, the energy cost of all other powers is slightly increased.

THE VIRTUOSO

As The Virtuoso, your skills with various musical instruments have risen to the level of extraordinary! With the use of your voice and/or trusty instrument, you are able to alter your opponent's state of mind with a show of prowess that will survive throughout the ages!

Concepts: Travelling Bard, Siren, Composer of Chaos, Headbanging Hero, Masked Maestro.

Innate Talent: The Virtuoso->+10 Ego/Pre/Rec. +8 End
Primary Superstat: Ego
Secondary Superstats: Presence, Recovery
Role: Ranged Damage or Support (will be explained further down)

*PASSIVE*
Attuned
Your soul has become so in-tune with the sounds of the Universe, you are able to draw energy seemingly out of nowhere and weave it into your performance.

+Can be slotted in an Offensive, Balanced, or Support Role.
+Increases the strength of your Crowd Control and Sonic Damage;Heals your allies and grants them 25% of their Maximum Energy when they strike an enemy that is affected by your Crowd Control.
+Grants resistance to Sonic and Crushing damage.
+Generates Energy
+Applies the "Encore" buff when you strike an enemy with Sonic Damage. This can happen at most once every 4 Seconds.

ADVANTAGES-NOTE: You would only be able to pick one of the following Musical Style advantages. They are 0-pointers, as they are purely audio/cosmetics. These will alter the sounds of your Sonic attacks, so there's something for almost everyone.

Enchanting:Your Sonic attacks have a mystical, eerie sound.
Moshing: Your Sonic attacks have a distorted electric sound.
Classical: Your Sonic attacks have an orchestral sound.
Technical: Your Sonic attacks have a computerized sound.

Overture
Your masterpiece comes to life, its masterful notes assaulting your enemies and assisting your allies.
+Energy Builder
+Deals Sonic Damage when targeting an enemy; Grants Crescendo buff to your allies

Flourish
You play a skillful chord progression, sending your enemies reeling and finally stunning them with your dazzling display.
+Cone Combo attack
+Deals Sonic Damage to enemies
+Final hit has a chance of stunning your enemies

Aural Wall (Block)
+250% to all Resistance
+Chance to reflect 50% of an attack's damage back as Sonic damage
+ADVANTAGEReprise: After blocking with Aural Wall, your next Sonic Attack has a chance of Repelling the enemy.

Vocalize
Your add your voice to the performance, locking the enemy in awe and inspiring your allies.
+Maintained AoE Attack, 50ft range.
+Deals Sonic Damage to enemies; Reduces the cooldown of your allies' powers by 5 seconds for every affected Enemy and Ally and applies Crescendo.
+Roots the enemy for the Duration
+ADVANTAGES
Lullaby: The soothing sound causes the enemy to fall into a deep slumber after fully maintaining the attack.
Metal Scream: Assaults the enemy's senses and Incapacitates them after being fully maintained.
Bass Drop: Your computerized voice rises to a sharp edge, then crashes down. The enemy is Knocked Down at the end of the maintain.

Chaotic Counterpoint
+Charged Attack
+Deals Sonic damage and Incapacitates all enemies within a 40ft Sphere
ADVANTAGE:Excerpt-Chaotic Counterpoint loses the ability to be tapped, but now applies a Sonic DoT to all Incapacitated enemies.

To Coda!
You abruptly end your performance with a heavy chord
+Single Target Attack
+Deals Sonic Damage to enemy
+Knocks back targeted enemy 15-50ft.
+ADVANTAGE:Accompaniment-Causes To Coda to consume all stacks of Encore, dealing additional Sonic damage to the enemy for every stack.

Larghissimo
Your slow and somber piece causes your enemies to slow down as well.
+Crowd Control
+Slows the enemy down, reducing their movement speed by 50% and increasing their Power cost and Cooldown Rate by 30%.

Solid Note
You manifest musical notes that can be thrown at your opponents. They burst and deal damage upon contact
+Single Target Sonic and Slashing Damage
+ADVANTAGE: Sticky Note- When fully charged, Solid Note will stick to the opponent and explode 5 seconds later. It deals 25% additional Sonic and Slashing damage, and Stuns the enemy.

That's all I've got so far, I will update this with more soon! Please offer opinions, etc.
@Jeighsun in-game. Feel free to add me!
Post edited by yinjeigh on

Comments

• Options
    beautfldssonancebeautfldssonance Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This sounds sort of like the Sonic powerset I designed. The music thing is too specific, but I think it would work great if it was integrated with more generic Sound powers, possibly as some 0 point advantages to make cosmetic changes to the name and appearance of generic Sound powers into music notes/names. We really need more powers that do Sonic damage so we can make sound energy projectors, and of course musical heroes.

"There is a point beyond which there is no return. That point must be reached." - Kafka

[sigpic][/sigpic]
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    This sounds sort of like the Sonic powerset I designed. The music thing is too specific, but I think it would work great if it was integrated with more generic Sound powers, possibly as some 0 point advantages to make cosmetic changes to the name and appearance of generic Sound powers into music notes/names. We really need more powers that do Sonic damage so we can make sound energy projectors, and of course musical heroes.

You should link me, I'd love to check out your ideas for Sonic damage. I agree, we definitely need more Sonic powers. The only reason I made this Music-centric is because I built it with a Bard in mind.

I'm sure someone'll say "If you want a Bard, play NWO." However, there are tons of sound/music-based superheroes and villains out there. It would only make sense to have something like that in CO as well.
    I love your idea for 0-Point name changes. The tech is there, look at Sword Cyclone's Butcher's Blades ADV. Although I believe that one is a 3pt. Not quite sure.

But yes for more Sound!!
  • Options
    foxypersonfoxyperson Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    While I'd prefer a netrual sonic set, a musical power set fits CO's silver-age tackiness like a glove.

/signed!
  • Options
    tditstdits Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited July 2014

No new 0-point cosmetic advantages will be forthcoming unless there are significant changes to CO's backend. Music powers would have to be separate from any generic sonic powers, but they could be in the same power set.

/signed anyway.

WARNING: Not An Actual Internet Reviewer

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    tdits wrote: »
    No new 0-point cosmetic advantages will be forthcoming unless there are significant changes to CO's backend. Music powers would have to be separate from any generic sonic powers, but they could be in the same power set.

/signed anyway.

Ahh, so I'm guessing the 0-pointers must be part of the old, jumbled code that keeps them from porting over Foundry.
    And yeah. I view a music set as a mini-set. Sort of like the Brick Power pool, with its three different mini sets of HW, Earth, and Might. All do Crushing, but in different ways.

So maybe there could be a new pool option.
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    1322277979335.jpg

I DO have 2 Music Themed characters ingame and I DO have more that I want to create\

I will be needing Harp and Guitar weapons/costume pieces (why don't we have a Harp Backpack yet anyway?)
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    avianos wrote: »
    1322277979335.jpg

I DO have 2 Music Themed characters ingame and I DO have more that I want to create\

I will be needing Harp and Guitar weapons/costume pieces (why don't we have a Harp Backpack yet anyway?)

First off, ty for the laugh XD. That pic is great.
    And yes, I remember seeing some concept art awhile back of a Guitar Axe Weapon that was BEAUTIFUL! So it'd be nice having some Instrument/Weapon fusion pieces as well as normal instruments.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    #shamelessbump
  • Options
    mechaghandimechaghandi Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yes, yes, a million times yes!

This would work out so well for a lot of characters I've been trying to put together but haven't been able to pick out a suitable powerset.

Where's the paper? I'll sign it! I'll sign all of the papers! All of yours! All of theirs! All of everyone's!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Yes, yes, a million times yes!

This would work out so well for a lot of characters I've been trying to put together but haven't been able to pick out a suitable powerset.

Where's the paper? I'll sign it! I'll sign all of the papers! All of yours! All of theirs! All of everyone's!

The struggle!!!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    #shamelessbump
  • Options
    vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'd throw in a Confuse power too. Nobody would really use it as confuses work weirdly if you don't plan for them when building throughout, but Pied Piper style 'music to make your foes do your bidding' is an excellent music power.

I would also note that pre-Cryptic North coming in, there was talk about how the devs dislike 0 point cosmetic advantages, as it means multiple variations of each power with virtually no mechanical difference in gameplay, and no cost for doing so. Not sure if that policy is still in effect though.
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • Options
    monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    20120630220236.gif
    20080928202558.gif
  • Options
    greeksotosubergreeksotosuber Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Why can't i start a new thread godamnit?!?!?!?
  • Options
    #ShamelessBump
  • Options
    soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    Will only take it if one of the instruments is a grand piano.
  • Options
    soulforger wrote: »
    How about a Keytar!

• Options
    yinjeigh wrote: »
    soulforger wrote: »
    How about a Keytar!

That could work instead.
  • Options

That has to be a power for this set.

• Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    I guess while we are continuing the train of things that won't happen, I guess can ask for something like the Dubstep Gun from Saints Row 4.

https://youtu.be/SZaE7QkME38

Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    KagamiTheMagicalCatGerlKagamiTheMagicalCatGerl Posts: 357 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Here's another thing that's bitter: 100% cocoa chocolate. Made for baking, not eating!

Buck up SilverSpar, maybe they'll have a "Dubstep Gun Lockbox" just for you!
  • Options
    Bumping. :P
  • Options
    *bump*
  • Options
    nacito#6758 nacito Posts: 975 Arc User
    Just another reptile lover, known in game as @nacito
    4hszgc1knoyo.png

This is a big journey, so far if you're reading this, wish you a good day
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Stop bumping your old threads. Make new ones if you think they are that important.
  • Options

Stop bumping your old threads. Make new ones if you think they are that important.

I was away for awhile, saw the new Rocker set, and thought I would bump my old suggestions. Sorry if it offended you.
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    yinjeigh said:

I was away for awhile, saw the new Rocker set, and thought I would bump my old suggestions. Sorry if it offended you.
    It's just against forum rules to necro old threads.
  • Options
    null
    Ah, gotcha. Like I said, it's been awhile so my bad!