test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Suggestion] Block Ability

theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
edited May 2016 in Suggestions Box
With the introduction of Antagonize and the frankly awesome block stance it has:

(In terms of arms crossed over like an "X" so to speak)

The suggestion here is that basic block and block enhancements have a drop down menu added to them where people can choose between the following options for a block stance:

* Crossed Arms (e.g. Antagonize)
* Forearm Guard (e.g. Basic Block & Retaliate)
* Open Palms (e.g. Force Shield & Eldritch Shield)
* Ego Blast Pose (maintained/charging pose)
* Weapon block as an option, so single blade, dual blade, ego blade, and plasma blade users can block with their weapon. (credit to spinnytop)

This would only adjust the character model when blocking, not the actual block effect, so for example, having...Force Shield + Crossed Arms block stance would equal them standing with their arms crossed with the force field floating in the same place as it usually would.

I think that would be a great way to add additional customization to CO.

I would also add that this option should be available to ALL players including Silver Players.

This could be unlocked for Silvers via a micro transaction in the Z store OR it could be free for Silvers.

EDIT: Added more options.
Post edited by theravenforce on

Comments

• championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    You forgot the one handed block (Life Drain animation) and for those who think blocking is stupid and want to face tank the Stand there and take it (Head Cast animation)​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • eviltwintwoeviltwintwo Posts: 351 Arc User
    Considering the fact that block animations sometimes default to the forearm block even when they should be open palms, blocking is probably due for an update. Some tweeking would be nice, and the ability to choose the look of your block could be one of those tweeks. I'd really like to have that.

That being said, I'm not 100% sure the blocking animation on my computer does the wrong one because of the game itself. My computer (or my internet) seems to have a few communication glitches where my maintain powers (for example) shut off for no apparent reason, so the block animation thing could be on my side. I'm saying this because I've never heard anyone else mention anything like this; it would be minor, anyway as long as you actually blocked.
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Added an additional block stance option. I'm not sure if it would be possible but having the "charging Ego Blast/Mind Break" pose as a block pose would be a nice nod to the normally sidelined archetype of heroes. (and I've been wanting something like that for years so...)
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Sounds great. Add "weapon block" as an option, so single blade, dual blade, ego blade, and plasma blade users can block with their weapon.
    spinnytop said:

Sounds great. Add "weapon block" as an option, so single blade, dual blade, ego blade, and plasma blade users can block with their weapon.

Good idea! Editing OP now.
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    Weapon Blocks? Shut up and take my Money!
    I do want my swordmen to use their weapons​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User

Considering the fact that block animations sometimes default to the forearm block even when they should be open palms, blocking is probably due for an update. Some tweeking would be nice, and the ability to choose the look of your block could be one of those tweeks. I'd really like to have that.

That being said, I'm not 100% sure the blocking animation on my computer does the wrong one because of the game itself. My computer (or my internet) seems to have a few communication glitches where my maintain powers (for example) shut off for no apparent reason, so the block animation thing could be on my side. I'm saying this because I've never heard anyone else mention anything like this; it would be minor, anyway as long as you actually blocked.

Totally not just you... It happens to me and I've got a pretty stable internet connection and a high end custom built computer. The block animation switching thing has also been reported as a bug numerous times. It's a common knowledge bug at this point, we're all just waiting for it to be fixed... It started happening after a large update a while back, and become even more promanient with the release of Onslaught.

Back on topic...
    ----

YES... please do this... ALL of this...

Can we also get a slightly altered version of the default arm block that rotates the forearm about 30degrees to make Bracer Shields possitioned properly when blocking?
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    Options on how you block, sounds nice enough, look odd for small shields with wide animation but meh. x3
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
    rtma said:

Options on how you block, sounds nice enough, look odd for small shields with wide animation but meh. x3

Yeah, the VFX per block would be the same in most instances, the only difference would be the positioning of your hands
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited May 2016

rtma said:

Yeah, the VFX per block would be the same in most instances, the only difference would be the positioning of your hands
    Fire Shield Block Animation with Force Shield or Eldritch? o.3.o
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Hm... just had a realization while looking at this picture after having read rtma's post...

If your character wears one of the costume shields available in game on their left arm, it's going to totally clip into your right arm in this stance....

add an option to mirror the stance.
  • squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

Hm... just had a realization while looking at this picture after having read rtma's post...

If your character wears one of the costume shields available in game on their left arm, it's going to totally clip into your right arm in this stance....

add an option to mirror the stance.

Not only that, but right arm forward is weird - unless you're left-handed. People naturally defend with their off-hand arm forward, because the dominant arm is more valuable. Try the antagonize arm pose yourself, first with non-dominant hand in front, then with dominant hand in front - which feels natural to you? I mean, I could train myself to put the dominant hand first, it's not *that* uncomfortable, but it doesn't feel natural at all.

And we know CO defaults to right-handed, because all single weapon toons tend to use their right hand, and asymmetrical one-handed blocks put the left arm forward.
  • eviltwintwoeviltwintwo Posts: 351 Arc User
    raighn said:

Totally not just you... It happens to me and I've got a pretty stable internet connection and a high end custom built computer. The block animation switching thing has also been reported as a bug numerous times. It's a common knowledge bug at this point, we're all just waiting for it to be fixed... It started happening after a large update a while back, and become even more promanient with the release of Onslaught.

Thanks for the info.