test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Nightmare invasion thoughts

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    I've only actually done the set of dailies once. One observation I made is that like Biff:

"My third character, a Force Cascade guy, I haven't figured out a way to even approach the thing without getting murdered."

Tsin'xing has no chance whatsoever of soloing the mobs. However, if there's a group she can do pretty good at breaking the portal while the group distracts the mobs.

Vs. the colossus, she just floated in mid air and spammed either Eldritch blast or Skarn's. Add a block whenever the colossus was about to attack me and I was able to last the whole fight without getting KOed.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    Lore-wise, the Kings of Edom who have appeared previously in Champions Online are not the only Kings. They probably aren't even the most powerful Kings. Several other named ones are more widely known, and some are described as among the mightiest of the Kings.

Golden Seraph being an agent of Elysium, doesn't necessarily mean she's a spirit from Elysium. She could be a mortal empowered by one or another of the "gods" from that dimension -- that's certainly precedented in the lore. Her outfit may simply be what said human thought would be a good thematic "superhero costume."

I would have preferred that CO not dip into the Qliphothic well again, at least not so soon or to such a degree. But I fear the devs just don't currently have the budget to create a lot of stuff the MMO hasn't seen before. I suspect they have no choice but to try to create new content by recycling the resources they have.

All of the guesses as to who's behind this sound reasonable to me. Since CO tends to play fast and loose with Qliphothic lore, I won't hazard a guess based just on what we've seen.
  • Options
    guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User

The thing you describe sounds a lot like it could be extremely leechable. You want to just be in the same area and get credit for things other people are doing? That don't sound right. There's no incentive to participate since you're not after a loot drop based on score. I could go into Downtown, step away from the game for an hour, and pretty much be assured that my missions would be completed without me.

Well it is leechable, I don't have a problem with that on open missions or open world maps, it's closed maps where I hate leechers. If there's no limit to the number of people that can help out then having someone AFK or whatever isn't a big deal. I generally assume the best of people so I assume most leechers aren't actually taking advantage of people, I assume it's real world issues.
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    guyhumual said:

Well it is leechable, I don't have a problem with that on open missions or open world maps, it's closed maps where I hate leechers. If there's no limit to the number of people that can help out then having someone AFK or whatever isn't a big deal. I generally assume the best of people so I assume most leechers aren't actually taking advantage of people, I assume it's real world issues.

You'd have to expect much smaller rewards for a leechable quest. One of the things that really irked the developers during the last Clarence event was people brazenly bragging about popping Clarence once with an energy builder and then getting very good drops from the fight afterwards. Not only are those people leeching, they're taking up spots in the zone from people who actually want to participate. It's just bad all around.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options

You'd have to expect much smaller rewards for a leechable quest. One of the things that really irked the developers during the last Clarence event was people brazenly bragging about popping Clarence once with an energy builder and then getting very good drops from the fight afterwards. Not only are those people leeching, they're taking up spots in the zone from people who actually want to participate. It's just bad all around.

See that doesn't bother me, I had fun during the Clarence event, and if a few people were gaming the system it doesn't ruin things for me. As a developer I'd think I'd be more concerned with getting people into the game and staying there rather then people getting rewards for not gaming. I'd think the longer you keep people in the game the more likely they're going to buy something from your cash shop.
  • Options
    sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
    I haven't seen it mentioned to this thread that the nightmare invaders are hostile towards eachother (and to any surrounding open-world mobs).
    They will stand around peacefully but as soon as the agro starts the mob will fight damn near anything. If your sneaky, you can split agro with the creatures and let them off tank for you to some extent.

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
  • Options
    qawsadaqawsada Posts: 739 Arc User

I haven't seen it mentioned to this thread that the nightmare invaders are hostile towards eachother (and to any surrounding open-world mobs).
    They will stand around peacefully but as soon as the agro starts the mob will fight damn near anything. If your sneaky, you can split agro with the creatures and let them off tank for you to some extent.

But I did mention it in my post in the last page and that is precisely how I deal with some of the portal.
  • Options
    sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
    qawsada said:

But I did mention it in my post in the last page and that is precisely how I deal with some of the portal.

I stand corrected.

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,591 Arc User
    I like the difficulty of this event. I can solo up to the mandatory group Nightmare Colossus fight, but teaming with other competent players for the random mobs really shines in this content.

I'm skeptic of the token grind. By just doing the dailies, if you miss a day you won't have enough to unlock the new power. Looks like enough items that it would take multiple times for the event to go up to farm everything. But having a hard enough time to unlock one thing is stupid.​​
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    aesica said:

You'll never know unless you try. Some would definitely listen, I'm sure.

I don't know where you've been but I've been trying for months and all I get back is a whole lot of "I don't believe you". Some people around here have the most stubborn low self esteem I've ever seen when it comes to this game o3o
  • Options
    guyhumual said:

See that doesn't bother me, I had fun during the Clarence event, and if a few people were gaming the system it doesn't ruin things for me. As a developer I'd think I'd be more concerned with getting people into the game and staying there rather then people getting rewards for not gaming. I'd think the longer you keep people in the game the more likely they're going to buy something from your cash shop.

Well surprisingly enough, it's not always about money :smile:
  • Options
    spinnytop said:

Well surprisingly enough, it's not always about money :smile:

Right, so they're sweating the small things.

Over all I don't have a serious problem with the event. I do have some quibbles, like I've found myself asking "how am I being knocked" a few times now. Unless those portals have knocks it seems the nightmare demolishers don't need line of sight to use their pull. Said pull doesn't give knock resistance. Something is removing travel powers. A mysterious 2 hit combo that the Nightmare Colossus has that does over 10000 damage (first hit is for 2k and then 8k) though blocks. I serious lack of elder worms on the map and especially around Terror Siphons: Why do I need to find 4 siphons to kill 25 Elder Worms when the mission only needs me to destroy 3? Qliphothic Horrors are the opposite by the way, I usually meet the quota after the first two portals and only need to destroy just the portals by the end. This need to team. They're not huge problems and over all the event is fine.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    What the did better with this event compared to Bloodmoon is if people play enough they are guaranteed costume unlocks or AFs :3

Getting the coins are a bit grindy but at least you know once you get over 100 of them you can get something for your efforts and no need to worry about random drops.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    I only know of one Terror Siphon point and I farmed it for the mission. Portals seem to be on every other street corner...
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    nepht said:

What the did better with this event compared to Bloodmoon is if people play enough they are guaranteed costume unlocks or AFs :3

Getting the coins are a bit grindy but at least you know once you get over 100 of them you can get something for your efforts and no need to worry about random drops.

Actually they fixed the last bloodmoon so you could grind tokens, I know because I got three demonwing jets and a ghost train as well as a bunch of auras. I don't remember any costume unlocks last year but maybe they'll add some this year? I think Bloodmoon was one of the first, if not THE first, event managed by this new design team. Over all I really dig what they're doing.

Edit: this is what we had last Halloween: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online/news/detail/9611453-champions-online:-blood-moon-returns!
  • Options

I only know of one Terror Siphon point and I farmed it for the mission. Portals seem to be on every other street corner...

There are quite a few, especially towards the top of the map, but nowhere near as many portals that's for sure.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    guyhumual said:

Actually they fixed the last bloodmoon so you could grind tokens, I know because I got three demonwing jets and a ghost train as well as a bunch of auras. I don't remember any costume unlocks last year but maybe they'll add some this year? I think Bloodmoon was one of the first, if not THE first, event managed by this new design team. Over all I really dig what they're doing.

Edit: this is what we had last Halloween: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online/news/detail/9611453-champions-online:-blood-moon-returns!

I missed last one :c

Well thats good news indeed ^__^

nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    guyhumual said:

There are quite a few, especially towards the top of the map, but nowhere near as many portals that's for sure.

The siphons tend to be tucked away more than the portals do, hidden in little nooks and crannies. At one point I was looking for one and didn't notice there was one right underneath me cause it was hidden by a tree. Seems the worms are sneakier than the horrors.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    guyhumual said:

Hmm... Has anyone made a map of locations yet? I've not seen one yet. I now feel the urge to make a map if there isn't one yet.
    spinnytop said:

guyhumual said:

The siphons tend to be tucked away more than the portals do, hidden in little nooks and crannies. At one point I was looking for one and didn't notice there was one right underneath me cause it was hidden by a tree. Seems the worms are sneakier than the horrors.
    Very true. The location I farmed was near Harmon Labs, under a tree that was between two buildings. There were TWO portals inside the same building complex that you could easily see with a casual flyby, I spotted the Terror Siphon after smashing them. I use a Mapradius helmet and that marks enemy groups on the minimap. So I hovered over the red mark to see what these were. (The normal enemy groups in this area are Destroids.)
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    stratluverstratluver Posts: 311 Arc User
    All across City Center you'll find Terror Siphons on the rooftops. A lot of them.

• Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    There are 2 terror siphons either side of the back of the Harmon building (near the Sasquatch guy). There are also 3 portals close by, as well as one of the sites where colossi appear. I usually go here to get the missions done. There is never a case where either a terror siphon or portal is not available, unless someone else is farming them. Then I just pop to another zone because there is a respawn point there as well.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    nepht said:

For many, a bound on pickup AF does not count as a reward. I certainly don't think of it as one.

You have to play a lot to get one item. I would rather have RNG and be able to buy stuff in AH than the Nightmare Invasion rewards.

At least with the previous events, the Devs realized their mistake and upped the drop rate of event currency.
    I hope that happens this week.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    I got 57 coin from ONE round of dailies. Something like the Seraph or Malakim tanks costs 500 or about 9 days play at that rate.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    And you can get another 49 if you hunt 9 more colossi.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    seeker1235seeker1235 Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    The number one thing that bothers me about this event is that the aura rewards are BoP to *character*. Which is just ridiculous, especially for 3 days of dailies to get one.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I can't usually play 9 days in a two-week period.
    And even if I did, that is just one reward, of many.

The grind doesn't bother me at all. Running out of time does, though.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    So.. partial list of spawn points:
    s 9245 559 -1910
    p 9325 520 -2065
    p 9860 536 -1710
    s 9967 540 -1881
    p 10256 416 -2087
    s 11017 447 -1634
    p 10442 401 478
    s 10493 406 315
    p 10834 446 -1180
    p 9510 454 673
    p 9242 467 846
    p 8642 622 -1721
    p 8137 432 -462
    p 8510 420 528
    p 7509 457 -52
    p 7606 544 1061
    s 7051 562 895
    s 5438 402 1081
    s 4304 405 1957
    p 3980 579 1796
    s 3982 589 2238
    p 4192 601 2372
    p 4750 530 2555
    p 5010 538 2564
    p 5350 550 2598
    s 5542 556 2544
    p 5694 561 2548
    p 7959 510 2720
    p 8111 515 2585
    s 8241 519 2663
    p 8445 525 2672
    s 8597 530 2727
    s 9022 543 2666
    p 9055 545 2559
    p 8989 561 2232
    s 8534 575 2259
    p 8087 590 2342
    s 7621 604 2386
    p 7219 617 2336
    p 6810 660 2209
    p 5998 518 2353
    s 6308 508 2289
    p 6405 505 2218
    p 5768 525 2294
    p 5569 531 2310
    s 5138 491 2271
    p 4507 511 2106
    s 5426 456 1074

yeah, some are in city center, some downtown, hadn't gotten to westside yet. Not sure I got every point in those areas. The coordinates are approximately centered on the x/z. The y is a point high enough to be out of attack range but low enough to see the target.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    This picture sums up one of the major problems with this event.

Now this disparity isn't as bad as I've had, I've had 18 worms 3 siphons, and 2 portals with 50 horrors, but it's still a design problem.
    Post edited by guyhumual on
  • Options
    Meh, more like minor nuisance.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    guyhumual said:

Go blow up more stuff, 'problem' solved.
  • Options
    spinnytop said:

Go blow up more stuff, 'problem' solved.

That's the general walk though for 90% of the content in CO.

Add two more worms to each siphons, they're pretty wimpy to start with, that would solve the problem from design side.
  • Options
    guyhumual said:

Now this disparity isn't as bad as I've had, I've had 18 worms 3 siphons, and 2 portals with 50 horrors, but it's still a design problem.

Is this before or after fighting a colossus? The mobs there count toward these totals so that's why it might be a bit unbalanced.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    I was going to say the same as Smackwell.

I usually do the Colossus (maybe a couple) first--the nightmare count is usually complete, and I am halfway towards worms being done, too.

• Options
    edited May 2016

Is this before or after fighting a colossus? The mobs there count toward these totals so that's why it might be a bit unbalanced.

Oh this is without fighting the colossus, I don't need to fight him anymore apparently, the quest has been auto completing the moment I take it these last few days. I did take out the colossus first once though, I had the 50 horrors I needed by the time the colossus dropped and I don't think I targeted any horrors after the colossus arrived.

I've been soloing the portals and you need to kill a ridiculous number of horrors to even get close to those portals, and they keep spawning, if you're fighting them on the ground you'll kill a ton just by attacking the portal with AoE attacks. If you're attacking the ones on buildings just let them knock you off (should only take a few seconds) then when they jump down to attack you, you can reactivate your travel power and finish off a virtually unprotected portal.

I don't use that method too often though, so usually I got way more horrors then I need. Quite often I'll have 50 by the second portal.
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    In practice, the elder worm count just requires you to defeat five spawns instead of three, as there's an average of six elder worms per portal. The easiest fix would be to add another three elder worms to each portal; this would also make the difficulty of the two missions somewhat more comparable.

• Options

In practice, the elder worm count just requires you to defeat five spawns instead of three, as there's an average of six elder worms per portal. The easiest fix would be to add another three elder worms to each portal; this would also make the difficulty of the two missions somewhat more comparable.

Some of the worm spawn locations have a second group, without a siphon, nearby. This second group usually 6 worms. The worm spawn in the park on the far east of Downtown is like this.

• Options
    guyhumual said:

Oh this is without fighting the colossus, I don't need to fight him anymore apparently, the quest has been auto completing the moment I take it these last few days. I did take out the colossus first once though, I had the 50 horrors I needed by the time the colossus dropped and I don't think I targeted any horrors after the colossus arrived.

The autocompletion seems to be happening because you get mission credit for defeating a Colossus, even when you no longer have (or have completed) the mission. In other words, you can "bank" a Colossus win; when you pick up the mission next, it autocompletes, since you've already fulfilled the requirements.

• Options
    Yet, oddly, killing the worms that appear just before the colossus doesn't count towards the worm total?

guyhumual said:

JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
  • Options
    Huh, good to know. I was wondering how I was auto-completing that mission.

guyhumual said:

The autocompletion seems to be happening because you get mission credit for defeating a Colossus, even when you no longer have (or have completed) the mission. In other words, you can "bank" a Colossus win; when you pick up the mission next, it autocompletes, since you've already fulfilled the requirements.
    JwLmWoa.png
  • Options
    beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    I've been enjoying the event so far. I find destroying the portals to be a bit of a challenge(solo) but not impossible for my characters, getting all the worms is easier and they're pretty easy to find once I started scanning the rooftops, also the big boss fights do seem a lot less laggy with fewer people per zone.

It helps that there are only 2 or 3 costume things I want from the store which I am pretty sure I am going to be able to afford before the event it over... the prices of stuff is a little bit high I guess, luckily I do not feel the need to aquire like half a dozen different animal skulls.

• Options
    guyhumual said:

I've been soloing the portals and you need to kill a ridiculous number of horrors to even get close to those portals, and they keep spawning, if you're fighting them on the ground you'll kill a ton just by attacking the portal with AoE attacks. If you're attacking the ones on buildings just let them knock you off (should only take a few seconds) then when they jump down to attack you, you can reactivate your travel power and finish off a virtually unprotected portal.

I don't use that method too often though, so usually I got way more horrors then I need. Quite often I'll have 50 by the second portal.
    Portals are hard enough in a group that I've never tried to solo them. The best trick seems to be taking out the portal and the acolytes first. Those will summon more enemies if they get a chance. The best way to do that is to have one person target the portal and attack it after the rest of the team has aggroed the mobs. Another that I've seen work well is to have a team that spams AoEs target the portal and lay the smack down on everything in attack range.

Some of the worm spawn locations have a second group, without a siphon, nearby. This second group usually 6 worms. The worm spawn in the park on the far east of Downtown is like this.
    I've seen these elsewhere too, also the lead enemy in each group has an interesting name....
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    My trick for soloing the portals is... pop AO and AD, hit the portal with everything I have, use aggro wipe and/or run away.(or simply die and respawn..because that happens a lot too)

• Options

Yet, oddly, killing the worms that appear just before the colossus doesn't count towards the worm total?

I'm "pretty sure" it does count. That's in quotes because I know I could be wrong on that. I'll check on one of my characters.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options

I'm "pretty sure" it does count.

I think it counts, but there's all of six of them that melt instantly so you might never get a chance to tag them, vs a bajillion qliphotic horrors that get spawned.
  • Options
    Yeah just checked and they definitely do give credit. Make sure to be in Team Up so you get credit for kills other people make.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited May 2016
    Event's mostly okay, but NTTG was too much of an annoyance to bother, then it's a bit too grindy and not too much interesting to buy with tokens anyway, so... Skipped it since it was boring anyway.
    A lot of less annoyance and little less grind next time and I miiight se a reason to attend to.​​
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    I think the whole "if mobs look at you they can turn off your travel powers" is a very valid annoyance.

I was just running through downtown and then all of a sudden my travel powers shut off because a Horror had his eye on me and then several seconds later I entered combat and they were firing at me.

I'm just glad we just stop moving if that happens and we don't smack into buildings >_>
  • Options
    rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    Apart from exacerbating underlying issues, something new to play with, Yeah?
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • Options

I think the whole "if mobs look at you they can turn off your travel powers" is a very valid annoyance.

I was just running through downtown and then all of a sudden my travel powers shut off because a Horror had his eye on me and then several seconds later I entered combat and they were firing at me.

I'm just glad we just stop moving if that happens and we don't smack into buildings >_>

It's terrible. Taking away my travel powers doesn't do anything to stop me from dealing damage, it doesn't make fights harder, it just allows dick moves like the one you're reporting (it's happened to me as well) and give me one more thing I got to reactivate after a fight. I don't like the knocks, pulls, or holds either but those I feel can be justified. There is no good reason to remove someone's travel power.
  • Options
    guyhumual said:

Taking away my travel powers doesn't do anything to stop me from dealing damage, it doesn't make fights harder.

It does make fights harder; there's a lot of hovering and kiting it blocks out. I would vastly prefer it if NTTG suppressed travel powers rather than toggling them off, though.