test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Enjoy the uber cosmics while they last

Seriously. As someone who has played MMOs for some time, uber hard NPCs are the kind of thing that make people mad in the moment, but later wind up getting nerfed, and then people look back at the "good old days" and get to brag about taking them down before they were easy. So instead of getting upset, enjoy it while it lasts and look forward to the stories you will get to tell about them later :D

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg

Comments

• Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    You mean like how people said people would stop running TA, despite people are still running TA? Or how everyone would stop running Rampages, despite rampages still get run? Or is this like how Onslaught would never be done anymore after the first week despite still finding OVs to fight even after the recent nerf?

It's not even difficult content, which is the funny part. The only thing making it difficult is zerg mentality.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    "You mean like how people said people would stop running TA, despite people are still running TA? Or how everyone would stop running Rampages, despite rampages still get run? Or is this like how Onslaught would never be done anymore after the first week despite still finding OVs to fight even after the recent nerf?"

Lol! Onslaught is NOTHING like it was the first week. It's been reduced to people solo grinding for tokens and a villain showing up in RenCen to hand out ez-tokens before suiciding into a turret. Rampages get run by very few people. It's bad enough that people practically have to beg for others to queue up for Grav. Grav! The easiest and fastest of them all. I doubt that many people run TA given how awful it was on launch with the encounter breaking bugs and community snobs mocking people for saying it was too hard. Chances are people complaining about the difficulty actually encounter those bugs and didn't realize what was going on.

I don't see Cryptic nerfing the cosmics, I see them abandoning it all together if it shows to be unpopular by next week. Because that's what they've been doing for the entire life of the game.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    I wonder what your definition of unpopular will be, since you famously keep moving the goalposts regularly.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    gradii said:

Difficult is something extremely difficult to define.

So then how do you know it's difficult to define if it's so difficult to define whether or not it's difficult to define since difficulty itself is difficult to define?
  • Options
    sterga said:

Lol! Onslaught is NOTHING like it was the first week.

Nobody claimed that it is there Mr. Eastwood. That chair you're arguing with is empty.
    sterga said:

I don't see Cryptic nerfing the cosmics, I see them abandoning it all together if it shows to be unpopular by next week. Because that's what they've been doing for the entire life of the game.

I dunno, people cried an ocean of tears about TA, and continue to do so, and yet the idea of epic content has not been abandoned... and that was at least more than a week ago. We'll see I guess, but don't get your hopes up.
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    I don't think this is quite true.

Last night I tried to help a huge group try to take down the dino. Didn't happen after something like 3 tries. Folks left to take down the ape. Can't see these Cosmics as something that will involve many players after a couple weeks if trying to organize these things takes hours and doesn't lead to success. I am sure that the dedicated few who well understand the mechanics will be able to do it on a regular basis.

I think that now that they'd tweaked the Until defenders there are people trying to complete the OV daily by fighting heroes next to Defender, but I think this will fall off too. Usually what happens is nigh unkillable tanks (often supported by healers at a great distance) and pets surround the OV who is then bombed by dpsers at range. Tab targeting only gets those close to hand and trying to click target in all that chaos is difficult. Heroes and especially vehicles who do get targeted then moves out of range. Not uncommon to not be able to complete the daily this way. I've figured out a bit of a way around this, but I bet many players will soon get frustrated and just not bother.

I can't really say much about TA because it doesn't interest me. When it started it seemed like there were often 2-3 teams running it. When I check now (which is infrequent) I usually only see 1 team or no teams listed, even if there are 150 in MC.

I do agree that people still run rampages and wager that it will remain the high end content that most players stick with (though I do understand that some feel unlucky with RNG and don't participate anymore).

You mean like how people said people would stop running TA, despite people are still running TA? Or how everyone would stop running Rampages, despite rampages still get run? Or is this like how Onslaught would never be done anymore after the first week despite still finding OVs to fight even after the recent nerf?

It's not even difficult content, which is the funny part. The only thing making it difficult is zerg mentality.​​

JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    "I wonder what your definition of unpopular will be, since you famously keep moving the goalposts regularly"

I know this is hard to comprehend, but Conquer isn't the entire playerbase. Sure, your guild and buddies may run this content all the time, but that isn't necessarily true of the rest of the people that play the game. There are people on these forums who can't even try to play TA because there aren't enough people on during off-peak U.S. hours to run with. Even after 10-11pm pacific time, the population in game is noticeably lower when alert queue pop much slower or not at all. I don't even bother logging in at all if it's too "late" in the evening because I know there won't be many other people on.

Come on Spar, this is stuff that isn't anything new. The low pop complaint has been around for years from a variety of people. You can try to make it sound like I'm some nutjob seeing stuff that isn't there, but other people have been making the same comments. Do they all just happen to be crazies too?

Seems like there is a huge perception difference between what the BiS geared, OP af characters with thousands of hours into the game see and what the average players sees. I like to think Cryptic datamines their own game and knows what kinds of hours, gear, and characters people play, but looking at this content and comments from different types of people makes me doubt that.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    ruprechtvandoom1ruprechtvandoom1 Posts: 54 Arc User
    sterga said:

I know this is hard to comprehend, but Conquer isn't the entire playerbase.

This.

• Options
    kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User

Seriously. As someone who has played MMOs for some time, uber hard NPCs are the kind of thing that make people mad in the moment, but later wind up getting nerfed, and then people look back at the "good old days" and get to brag about taking them down before they were easy. So instead of getting upset, enjoy it while it lasts and look forward to the stories you will get to tell about them later :D

I am enjoying them a lot and hope that the challenge will remain as is. (that doesn't mean no improvements to the fights...just that they'll be just as tough)
  • Options
    magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    I am enjoying them a lot and hope that the challenge will remain as is. (that doesn't mean no improvements to the fights...just that they'll be just as tough)

I've given them a go, I have no idea what the heck was going on, and for the moment I'll probably go and do something else instead. I'm pleased they've done the work to provide a high-end challenge and if I ever feel the urge to face up to that challenge, I know where it is. But I don't. And that's the issue with all of the content that's been coming through from Mechanon, Onslaught, TA and the Cosmics. It's not fun. It's a pompous, self-consciously difficult grindfest. And - let's be honest - this is an old and slightly flaky game which just isn't good enough to motivate people to play that type of content. Diehards and lifetimers will try, everyone else will just stay home.
  • Options
    deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    sterga wrote: »

Nobody said Conquer was the entire playerbase, and not all of us in Conquer are elitists. Many of us are just regulars playing the game and seeking more out of it, so don't make this about a guildtag. Besides, the most I've seen out of Conquer attacking Cosmics is about 7 out of the 60-80 players there.​​
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

• Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    I think the only Cosmic...at a stretch who will need adjusting/toning down would be Kigatilik.

On Test, taking him down was an issue, especially with his dogs running around. Aside from that...both Qwijibo and Teleiosaur in their current forms (minus the bugs they have) are doable with a team of 20 players.

There are at least 40 players each time who are interested in cosmics and the rewards are pretty enticing. So I don't think it'll wind down too far.
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    deadman20 said:

Nobody said Conquer was the entire playerbase, and not all of us in Conquer are elitists. Many of us are just regulars playing the game and seeking more out of it, so don't make this about a guildtag. Besides, the most I've seen out of Conquer attacking Cosmics is about 7 out of the 60-80 players there.​​

I'm pretty sure that what he/she was trying to get at is the fact that it's very easy for people, especially experienced, long-time players, to get used to how the game feels when they constantly play with their guild/clique/etc. This gives rise to myopic claims such as what we're seeing here, "[Content X] is actually pretty easy" blah blah etc. It's very easy for these people to forget that other players don't have the same levels of experience, gear, guild talent pools, etc as them.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    kamokami said:

I'd agree that they should first fix the bugs, then see how the fights go then before many any further changes.
  • Options
    darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User

I think the only Cosmic...at a stretch who will need adjusting/toning down would be Kigatilik.

On Test, taking him down was an issue, especially with his dogs running around. Aside from that...both Qwijibo and Teleiosaur in their current forms (minus the bugs they have) are doable with a team of 20 players.

There are at least 40 players each time who are interested in cosmics and the rewards are pretty enticing. So I don't think it'll wind down too far.

Really? I would say Kig isn't all that difficult from what I've seen in production.
  • Options

This.

I am always amused by these comments, as if we even think that. We don't take just Conquer people. But then again, Sterga does keep moving the goal posts.​​
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    aesica wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that what he/she was trying to get at is the fact that it's very easy for people, especially experienced, long-time players, to get used to how the game feels when they constantly play with their guild/clique/etc. This gives rise to myopic claims such as what we're seeing here, "[Content X] is actually pretty easy" blah blah etc. It's very easy for these people to forget that other players don't have the same levels of experience, gear, guild talent pools, etc as them.

No, Sterga has a dog in this fight due to past drama that her and Caliga just won't let go of, both of which try to pretend they aren't but most obviously are. So every now and then Sterga likes to dig her heels, call us elitest despite her guild charter hypocrisy. Add onto that, this is an MMO. Most people here are experienced MMO players, and there was no claims of context X being easy. It has been everyone, that has talked about it, claim that if people work together as a team (which certain complainers have refused to do) the content can be easier. There is no myopic claims on that, just tunnel vision claims that such content is impossible because said people don't want to work with others.

And again, this claims of Content X is too hard, has been going on since forever. Alerts, Rampages, TA, even the Adventure Packs were all claimed to be too hard content for people to do. Look at them now. So easy that even the most casual of people can do them. Hell I remember when people use to call Therakiel's Temple too hard or NemCon, before On Alert made it a joke, then people just finished it, then elite setting TT was too hard, and people finally started learning. Then they nerfed it and broke several fights making them jokes, and then On Alert happened making the entire lair soloable (if not for the mirrors) by practically anyone with decent use of skills, items and gear.​​
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    They won't get nerfed. Kaiserin plays this stuff herself, and if she thinks its hard enough within reason, then it is.
  • Options
    riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Random!!!

Wow this thread went into random the fastest of any thread I've seen. Way to go guys, record set!!! You winz the internetz!!!

As far as cosmics go. I like them. It reminds me of the old Hamidon raids on COH.. which I also liked. I don't necessarily have to win or get something to have fun. I like the full zone -- chatting with people. And trying to accompllish something with a group.

If they can fix the issue with healers not getting the proper credit and reward circles then..hooray.

I'm also not an elite player. My builds are quirky. My computer is ancient and I have to play with the video settings turned way down on big events like this. I'm also slow and make tons of mistakes. I still enjoyed the open world cosmics..even when I complained about not getting my reward circle...

Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User

No, Sterga has a dog in this fight due to past drama that her and Caliga just won't let go of, both of which try to pretend they aren't but most obviously are. So every now and then Sterga likes to dig her heels, call us elitest despite her guild charter hypocrisy. Add onto that, this is an MMO. Most people here are experienced MMO players, and there was no claims of context X being easy. It has been everyone, that has talked about it, claim that if people work together as a team (which certain complainers have refused to do) the content can be easier. There is no myopic claims on that, just tunnel vision claims that such content is impossible because said people don't want to work with others.

Whatever drama exists between you and her, I don't know nor care about. In a game that's been around this long, there's certain to be people who have bitter dislike for one another, but that doesn't change one thing--she still does have a point, even if you look past any personal jabs at you or your guild or whatever.

I've played plenty of MMOs, in various degrees. I've been in top guilds, all the way down to (as I am in CO) being a lowly lone wolf casual. When you're surrounded by top tier players, there really is a completely different take on the game's "hard" content than there is when you're in a casual guild, a newbie, or just lone wolfing it. When your guild has people who all willing to work together and learn the stuff, then get it down to the point where the content is basically on farm status, of course it's going to be seen as "easier" than it is to someone who logs in during off hours, can't always find a group, and/or, due to the shoddy teamwork in pugs, ends up wiping more often than not. Hence why I refer to these claims of "it's really not that bad" as rather myopic.

And again, this claims of Content X is too hard, has been going on since forever. Alerts, Rampages, TA, even the Adventure Packs were all claimed to be too hard content for people to do. Look at them now. So easy that even the most casual of people can do them. Hell I remember when people use to call Therakiel's Temple too hard or NemCon, before On Alert made it a joke, then people just finished it, then elite setting TT was too hard, and people finally started learning. Then they nerfed it and broke several fights making them jokes, and then On Alert happened making the entire lair soloable (if not for the mirrors) by practically anyone with decent use of skills, items and gear.​​

Could it be the result of power creep? I won't pretend to know how this game's progression has gone before November of 2015, because the game didn't even exist in my mind before then. It's my understanding that certain additions--specializations, new/adjusted powers, better gear rewards, and so on--have boosted endgame player power. As such, it's entirely understandable how yesterday's challenge could become today's faceroll.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    baelogventurebaelogventure Posts: 520 Arc User

Alerts, Rampages, TA, even the Adventure Packs were all claimed to be too hard content for people to do.

I remember getting called a troll for saying that Fire and Ice was too easy.

Man those were good times.

• Options
    aesica wrote: »
    Whatever drama exists between you and her, I don't know nor care about. In a game that's been around this long, there's certain to be people who have bitter dislike for one another, but that doesn't change one thing--she still does have a point, even if you look past any personal jabs at you or your guild or whatever.

Personally don't care about what Sterga and Caliga's issues, and most of Conquer tends to ignore both of them when they start barking like rabid dogs. I only point out that Sterga likes to either post mis-information or moves goal posts constantly so her claims will eventually be met.
    I've played plenty of MMOs, in various degrees. I've been in top guilds, all the way down to (as I am in CO) being a lowly lone wolf casual. When you're surrounded by top tier players, there really is a completely different take on the game's "hard" content than there is when you're in a casual guild, a newbie, or just lone wolfing it. When your guild has people who all willing to work together and learn the stuff, then get it down to the point where the content is basically on farm status, of course it's going to be seen as "easier" than it is to someone who logs in during off hours, can't always find a group, and/or, due to the shoddy teamwork in pugs, ends up wiping more often than not. Hence why I refer to these claims of "it's really not that bad" as rather myopic.

Again no one in top gear ever said it was easy, and many of us have alts we bring along to this content that is far from "top tier" and we run it regularly. And in every scenario so far, especially with this new content, the reason the cosmics have failed have been exactly the same reason: people refusing to work as a team and constantly ignoring suggestions and ideas the leadership says and just trying to zerg these bosses to death.
    Could it be the result of power creep? I won't pretend to know how this game's progression has gone before November of 2015, because the game didn't even exist in my mind before then. It's my understanding that certain additions--specializations, new/adjusted powers, better gear rewards, and so on--have boosted endgame player power. As such, it's entirely understandable how yesterday's challenge could become today's faceroll.

I am referring to before the power creep. Before On Alert Power Creep wasn't a thing, not as much as it is now. And back then places like TT, NemCon, and even Adventure Packs were considered too hard for the average people. Yet they remained as is and even difficulty settings were added later. Then Elite was called too hard. And back then it's not like the loot was even good in these scenarios since everyone pretty much had the best gear from crafting. The loot from TT and UNITY 2 was an actual downgrade from everything we had previously.

When On Alert hit, of course the old content became a breeze because just before On Alert all dungeons were pretty much nerfed and TT, especially, had several bosses that had mechanics that completely stopped working because of this. Teleiosaurus, Qyjibo and even Kigatilik became rather easy things to face, and again all before On Alert. Post On Alert, the new power scale happened but mobs were not boosted to compensate. The Alerts were considered ridiculously hard by many, some even saying that the grab alerts (which use to be the XP alerts) timer was too short to finish them properly. But people learned and it wasn't a gear issue. The special alerts also started being added and people claimed those were too hard. You would have never heard the end of how many people thought Red Winter Alert was the hardest, worst and most unfair alert ever created. Then they added Rampages and wow everyone thought Gravitar was too hard and unfair to the regular player. Now look at her, she's considered gravy train. Let's not forget when Fire and Ice got added all the sudden you had a bunch of people claiming Gravitar was easier and that Fire and ice needed to be more like Gravitar.

This cycle repeats ad nauseum quite regularly. The funny part, people always claim that it's pushing the "filthy casuals" as they tend to call themselves or something, out, yet now the numbers seem to actually be going up because interest is actually being had again. Nightmare Invasion is coming up next, and if it goes like how Villain Onslaught did, that is probably preceding to a new epic lair content.​​
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    sterga said:

Seems like there is a huge perception difference between what the BiS geared, OP af characters with thousands of hours into the game see and what the average players sees.

I dunno, the random people I snatch out of zone to take through TA aren't the weak, simple-minded noobfolk that people like you try to characterize them as. I think it may be your perception that's a bit faulty. Maybe the issue is that you think you're looking down at the average player, when maybe you should be looking up?
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    Whos upset about it being hard. Dis stuff is fun :D
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    My Concern is that once everyone gets what they want they'll be pretty much abandoned it like Rampages/Onslaught, leaving those who might like to play it, waiting around or cannot participate, cause they can't solo it or it takes an exceptional amount of time, might as well give up and queue for Dailies, Do UNITY Missions or Adventure Packs.
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • Options
    You LOVE to put words in people's mouths. Cute little deceptive tactic of yours; saying because people don't agree with you that they are "looking down" on average players. No honest person with a brain buys that baloni.

Well, when people say that "average" people can't do this, yet we take "average" people with us, there is a very telling sign that either we are just able to randomly and constantly get the above average people, or people's yard stick for average is well below average.​​
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    So what have we learned with this thread?
    Only Metahumans, Mutants and Inhumans can beat this content. No human scrubs allowed.

GTFO half of you. I've seen plenty of AT squishies and "casuals" deal with the cosmics just fine.
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • Options
    jessypranksterjessyprankster Posts: 26 Arc User
    Cosmic content is pretty fun, challenging, and is quite rewarding once you finally win. But honestly, I just feel sorry for the people who literally have to farm to get moderately good gear. I mean, you can do the cosmics with just heroic gear, but now it takes a lot longer to get just one piece and join in on the fun.
    "When in doubt, spam Ebon Ruin! It works! 90% of the time!
  • Options

Well, when people say that "average" people can't do this, yet we take "average" people with us, there is a very telling sign that either we are just able to randomly and constantly get the above average people, or people's yard stick for average is well below average.​​

^ that right there. I think in the pursuit of claiming that things are too hard, people have lowered the definition of "average player" more and more over time, to the point that now they seem to be trying to characterize the average player of CO as some dim-witted fool who has been playing the game for a week and has never played another video game in their life. According to them, the average player couldn't build their way to a half-decent character ( or all of them are ATs, that part is a bit murky because both have been claimed ), doesn't have justice heroic or even merc gear and never will, can't react to anything that doesn't have a big bright tell and requires them to react in anything less than a full two seconds, and doesn't know anyone in game with whom they could form an even remotely competent group.

You folks can say I'm putting words in your mouths all you like, but this is your definition of the "average player" I'm talking about, and all these claims have been made by the folks who say that this content is impossible for the average player. Maybe you all should get together and nail down what you actually want that definition to be so that when these conversations happen we all know what's actually being talked about.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Well... earlier this week I helped someone do waste transmission.... said individual was mystified by the fact that my character had green skin and didn't seem to understand that it's something you can change in the costume editor....
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Well... earlier this week I helped someone do waste transmission.... said individual was mystified by the fact that my character had green skin and didn't seem to understand that it's something you can change in the costume editor....

Okay... now I'm just asking, but are you trying to put this individual forth as an example of an average player or just giving an example of how little someone can potentially know about the game after having leveled up?
  • Options
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Okay... now I'm just asking, but are you trying to put this individual forth as an example of an average player or just giving an example of how little someone can potentially know about the game after having leveled up?

My question there did they level up or did they use zen to get a high level character ;)​​
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    ninjapiffninjapiff Posts: 282 Arc User
    The only reason people might think Cosmics are hard is because they can't zerg-rush through them like they can with basically everything else in Champions. Fighting a Cosmic takes forethought and teamwork to succeed, while a lot of players just spam Epidemic in Alerts.

Now I'm not saying that's the case with ALL characters/players, but taking on content like Cosmics requires a certain kind of character. Cosmic Fighting isn't an all-inclusive battle; you need to be tough or smart to not die a hundred times. Which means if you're playing a squishy AT, you need to be smart.

Strategy! Who'da thunk we'd actually see it in CO?
    It makes sense, if you don't think about it.
    I'm a pretty casual player, and I had to make a bunch of build changes for my characters for them to not just suck completely, builds that served me just fine through the rest of the game. I wasn't bitter about having to make changes though, especially since I have like 8 free retcons on like all of my 80something characters. Spent a lot of time fusing mods, some money upgrading gear.

That's something that's easy for me to do, as a Gold player that's been here six years and has a lot of assets to support all that stuff. It's probably stuff your [TRIGGER WARNING] "average" player doesn't have access to, seeing as this game has the churn that it does. I can see why it's difficult for someone to get their characters ready for cosmics.

I personally like that I have to put this extra effort in now (Teleios Ascendant didn't drive me to do this because the time investment required is not my bag), and it makes this stuff real fun for me, but I can totally understand why other players can feel frustrated about it.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User

spinnytop said:

wrote: »

My question there did they level up or did they use zen to get a high level character ;)​​
    I was using it as an example of a below-average player. The individual seemed to generally have little knowledge of how to play. It's true that Brain Freeze and Waste Transmission aren't as easy to solo as most story missions, but this person didn't even know what AT they were playing(Unleashed). O_o' I had to look it up on their character info page. Also... I kinda got the feeling they were dying because they didn't know how to play their character right. I was using a level 26 character, they were level 21.

Unless Unleashed sucks... I dunno. I've never played one.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    it does not...it's one of the best ATs you can pick​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options

it does not...it's one of the best ATs you can pick​​

Yeah its pretty solid. Has a decent amount of survival-ability due to its self heal and does good DPS. You just need to know when to back off and block. I personally think its the best AT (paid or not) after The Glacier.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Hmm..on the fence about this one. I don't think the average player is dumb.. but they have been softened by super easy leveling.

Let me explain.

You can level up on crap gear (and I mean crap) that drops from doing missions. Just by standing in rencen and zerging alerts. If it's a bonus XP weekend then hooray, jackpot.

This leads to a derth of level 40's who can't find Monster Island or Canada. Or who have no idea that "defense" is a thing. And yes I'v teamed with people who don't even know the basics. How many times have quite a few of us had to inform people that "blocking" is a thing.

Now I've teamed with a lot of you. You know -- I'm not the best player and my build choices are questionable. But I do try to learn new stuff by watching the best. And quite frankly, you guys are the best. Really some of the best gamers I've ever met. ..and I"m old.

So no, the average player isn't an incapable dimwit. But they hit 40 and suddenly the content is hard. They had no gradual introduction on how to build. Game mechanics. Etc.. they have to learn that stuff from the moment they first step into a Gravitar run. Which often leads to a hilarious faceplant.

Lower level content needs an overhaul and dare I say, a difficulty increase. That's an unpopular opinion, but if we want better end game players they need to start practicing and teaming much, much, earlier then they do.

And yes.. despite my griping and whining - I do have fun with cosmics. They are a challenge, you have to use your head to win against them. That's a good thing.
  • Options
    Guess I'm just lucky cause I didn't have to change my glass cannon or my tank at all for this content. Only thing I had to do was remind myself that blocking fast is a good thing to do instead of just staring at the tell with a dumb look on my face ( I think new content causes me to do that for some reason ). After the the last patch to Qwyjibo, I'm now able to consistently stay alive on him, and Kaiser was even nice enough to literally put a mechanic in that forces melee to not create a pool of death at the monkey's feet ( plus it just looks cool when everyone goes flying like that ).

Lower level content needs an overhaul and dare I say, a difficulty increase. That's an unpopular opinion, but if we want better end game players they need to start practicing and teaming much, much, earlier then they do.

^ Yep, that. Sprinkle the challenge throughout the leveling experience and you make it not only so players learn things they need to know, but it also makes the leveling process all the more interesting. And yeah, there will be some people who will say "You ruined what I like to do cause that's not my speed" but I get the feeling those folks are exaggerating anyway - nobody needs those missions to be as easy as they are.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Or that average works as long as it's coupled with certain elitist types.

I love comments like this because they are very telling. The only people being elitists are the ones that say the content is too hard and should be reduced to match their criteria. Funnily enough the one you are labeling as "elitists" are quite open and take a number of people with them regardless, contrary to what elitists actually do.

Really, this is a look in the mirror situation and see who the real elitist is.​​
    Post edited by championshewolf on
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Or that average works as long as it's coupled with certain elitist types.

If you wanna tell me that I'm so good that I can carry people then feel free to massage my ego all day and night :smiley:

However, you seem to be confused about what the word "elitist" means. You see, an actual elitist would not take newbies into TA... because they're elitists and they think that newbies, and anyone who's not "the best" is beneath them. I have to question if you've ever actually encountered an elitist.

You want an example of a real elitists? Over in Tera there are people who run to top-end dungeons in hard mode, and they will not take you if you are new ( they can tell if you're new because your character sheet shows everyone how often you have run the dungeon ). Even if you have done the dungeon, they will look at your gear... oh, you don't already have all the gear that the dungeon drops? You're there to actually get geared up, and not just to farm the gear to disassemble it into crafting materials? They won't take you. Oh what's that, you met all those other criteria, but you screwed up once or twice during the fight? Well, you knew you were getting kicked after the second mistake, because they likely threatened to kick you after the first one. If you try to tell these people that they're just like you, and you're equal as players... well, you can expect to have them ridicule you, demand to duel you, threaten to have you blacklisted, and eventually put you on ignore.

On the other hand, someone who goes out of their way to not take geared players who have done the thing several times so that they can instead pack as many new people into the group as possible, without ever asking about their build or gear? Not an elitist.

Someone who will actually argue with you to say that you and they are both equal as players in the game, and says that you can do anything they can do? Not an elitist.

If you're in a group with someone, and you screw up repeatedly, and all they have to say is "All right, round 10 ^_^", then you are not grouped with an elitist.

Trying to be as good at a game as you can be does not make you an elitist. On the other hand, demanding that everything be made easier so you don't have to try as hard? Also doesn't make you an elitist... it just makes you a poor sport.

Also, if you think you can make me feel bad for bringing people into TA, you're going to have to try a lot harder, because your comments are competing with all the smiles and thank yous that those players have given me :smile:
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    Whatever you might think of Spinny here on the forums (and sometimes the sarcasm and attitude can be a little thick), @foxiandfriends is extremely friendly and open to recruiting folks for TA in-game.

Foxi routinely invites newbies into TA, and is extremely patient when helping new folks learn the fight mechanics.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Whatever you might think of Spinny here on the forums (and sometimes the sarcasm and attitude can be a little thick), @foxiandfriends is extremely friendly and open to recruiting folks for TA in-game.

Foxi routinely invites newbies into TA, and is extremely patient when helping new folks learn the fight mechanics.

I have to agree. Spinny is generally friendly and very funny. Even though I don't always agree with all of Spinny's opinions, I do respect them. I have never witnessed Spinny being mean or "elitist" in attitude towards anyone. They have offered numerous times to take anyone along on TA that wants to go. (My computer sucks and I don't want to inconvenience anyone, so I don't go.)

TA is meant to be hard... very hard in fact. But building a very tough DPS toon in CO isn't rocket science or even unavailable to most. It takes one of two things... lots of time or spare money. Pretty much the same as any other MMO out there.

As far as the open Cosmics go. I've had great success battling Cosmics with MERC gear and ranks 5's. And I rank on the scoreboard with that. Not as high as others, but high enough. Cosmics are about strategy and figuring out what role best suits your build and powers. DPS role with an offensive pasisve, is the least stressful. Healing and Tanking much more stressful and harder to pull off.

*note: AOPM in Hybrid isn't bad either. People will be happy to have you and your DPS should be decent.

That's my opinion at least.
  • Options

Your definition of "elitist" is narrower than Webster's.

Your definition is the one that salty people have. I bet you use the word "tryhard" to describe people who beat you in first person shooters too.
This discussion has been closed.