test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Champions Online is better than DCUO and DCUO is a money grab, port this over to Xbox one ect?

demonicwinnademonicwinna Posts: 1 Arc User
edited May 2016 in Suggestions Box
So freaking sick that the trash DCUO made it to consoles, to be able to do ANYTHING on it you have to pay a arm and a leg ONTOP of a sub. I want my Xbox buddies to see that and stop wasting money on it when they could be just getting a sub for this and have fun with limitless options and 100% unique characters instead of having 100 thousands "hero's" that are all the same, it's a insult to the only real option to be able to create the hero of your dreams. I've beta tested COH/COV and that was my all-time fav hero game, but this is just that but current gen and I have a fear that this might someday have the same fate as COH/COV, that's why moving this to consoles would help ensure the future of this game. By expanding this to consoles it would reach A LOT of gamers that never even heard of this game (just like DCUO did) and would make comic fans experience a comic game that challenged their imagination to be whatever and go wherever. TBH there's really not a reason not to unless the devs now running it don't have faith in their product.

Champions Online is better than DCUO and DCUO is a money grab, port this over to Xbox one ect? 8 votes

Should Champions Online go to consoles like DCUO did, so game could make more money and in return could use it to make more content
87%
munekun123demonicwinnacriswolf09thejudge573a1fighterdemonshadow23generalcupcake#3330 7 votes
Should Champions Online stay in the shadows and not reach new customers and fans through other platforms that never heard of the game
12%
notyuu 1 vote

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    What does champs really gain by moving to console? nothing. The CO controls just wouldn't work right.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    you can use consoles controllers already with CO. But then there is the problem of a 6year old game which doesn't have the current realistic graphics.
    DCUO is now owned by an investment company, you can expect it to be a much bigger cash grab.

CO would have to get all its files annotated, bugs fixed, exploits fixed and assorted other things done, just to PREPARE to go on consoles. Then the have to find one to do it on.

This involves the company actually spending money on it. It was going to be on console but that fell through in, I think 2010​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    notyuunotyuu Posts: 1,121 Arc User
    Should Champions Online stay in the shadows and not reach new customers and fans through other platforms that never heard of the game
    They already tried this, it didn't work out so well due to the fact that there just wasn't enough resources to get the game "console ready" plus could you imgaine the disparity in skill/power/whatever between those players which are forced to stick with a controller vs those who can use a mouse/keybord/controller setup, it would be insane.
    In all things, a calm heart must prevail.

Member of Paragon Dawn: Because some people like friendly helpful communities.

eOGi6Cv.png9rfvawn.pngr3iD4nS.png

Yeah some things are broken... no I don't use/abuse them.. where would be the fun in that?
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    Can't see a reason to even choose a poll answer. I don't agree with either selection.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    gradii said:

What does champs really gain by moving to console? nothing. The CO controls just wouldn't work right.

This is a biased poll if I've ever seen one so why vote?
    I didn't actually vote. :p
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    notyuu wrote: »
    They already tried this, it didn't work out so well due to the fact that there just wasn't enough resources to get the game "console ready" plus could you imgaine the disparity in skill/power/whatever between those players which are forced to stick with a controller vs those who can use a mouse/keybord/controller setup, it would be insane.

This is a huge misnomer. The game was, is and always has been console ready. It was built for the XBox 360, hence why the game is so light on resources to begin with and doesn't utilize a lot of fancy features people wish for. The reason for the lack of console edition was due to deals falling through with Microsoft. And now that the game is almost 7 years old now, they decided to use Neverwinter instead. If Champions were to be put on on consoles it would be in competition with DCUO, which, unfortunately, has a much higher draw value thanks to name alone, even if it is a cash grab.

Realistically, for console support a lot of upgrades would have to happen, which would require a code merge to the current Cryptic engine, which would be time consuming itself, and the last time that happened was before On Alert. Yea, On Alert messed a lot up.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User

This is a huge misnomer. The game was, is and always has been console ready. It was built for the XBox 360, hence why the game is so light on resources to begin with and doesn't utilize a lot of fancy features people wish for. The reason for the lack of console edition was due to deals falling through with Microsoft. And now that the game is almost 7 years old now, they decided to use Neverwinter instead. If Champions were to be put on on consoles it would be in competition with DCUO, which, unfortunately, has a much higher draw value thanks to name alone, even if it is a cash grab.

Realistically, for console support a lot of upgrades would have to happen, which would require a code merge to the current Cryptic engine, which would be time consuming itself, and the last time that happened was before On Alert. Yea, On Alert messed a lot up.​​

And yet, its about time for a engine update. A massive update if you ask me.
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited May 2016

And yet, its about time for a engine update. A massive update if you ask me.

It simply doesn't have the player base to support one. Yes, this means the engine is going to get more and more dated. That's what happens to games. If they're popular enough they get a new edition with new code.
  • Options
    soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User

It simply doesn't have the player base to support one. Yes, this means the engine is going to get more and more dated. That's what happens to games. If they're popular enough they get a new edition with new code.

Sadly, this is true.
  • Options
    kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    notyuu wrote: »
    ...plus could you imgaine the disparity in skill/power/whatever between those players which are forced to stick with a controller vs those who can use a mouse/keybord/controller setup, it would be insane.
    Actually, I doubt there would be disparity as I would expect a console version to have it's own servers like most MMOs on both PCs and consoles.

That said, I doubt a console version would ever happen for the reasons championshewolf already stated.​​
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

• Options
    kallethen wrote: »
    Actually, I doubt there would be disparity as I would expect a console version to have it's own servers like most MMOs on both PCs and consoles.

That said, I doubt a console version would ever happen for the reasons championshewolf already stated.

There is no disparity now. There are plenty of people that choose to use a controller over the moue and keyboard in Champions. For instance, I know Kaiserin herself is prone to use a controller over a mouse and keyboard, and there is one other person I know that prefers a controller over a mouse and keyboard. This whole "mouse and keyboard" disparity is a tad over exaggerated at this point.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Mouse and keyboard vs controller does matter for certain types of twitch games that are highly dependent on accurate aiming. CO is not one of those games.
  • Options
    it's not the twitch, but the ability to actually USE all of your powers. I have something like 16 buttons for powers and devices
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    it's not the twitch, but the ability to actually USE all of your powers. I have something like 16 buttons for powers and devices

And you can map them all, easily I might add, to a controller.​​
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Cryptic is apparently hiring console developers. For what exactly? Who knows.

Honestly, it's been my suspicion for awhile that there is some talk behind closed doors to put CO on consoles. It's a six-year old game to us.. but it would be brand new for console players. Right now anything could happen with CO - or maybe CO is just being used as a test game to train devs before shifting them to other games.

Again... I'd never say never.

And yeah..poll is silly cuz...

- The two choices are biased as hell.
    - Player created polls don't decide Cryptic's actions.

YMMV.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • Options

And you can map them all, easily I might add, to a controller.​​I take it you've done this somehow?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I take it you've done this somehow?
    Yes, you know there are shoulder buttons right? Each one calls up a specific set of buttons on your controller. It's not some wild conspiracy or secret. Then you have the face buttons on the crosshair which can be used to call up specific things, and of course, both of the analogs can be used as buttons as well by pushing them in.​​
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    Yes, I know there are shoulder buttons, but controllers have 2-6 of those IIRC. Between those and the regular buttons you can map your skills. It's the part after that that I don't really get. There's several other buttons for game functions that aren't related to combat(map, quest list, char status screen, etc...), also you need separate ways to have your character look around and move. AND you need to have 3-d movement.

I have a Game Cube and PS2 but never bothered getting any consoles past that. So yeah, not really sure how newer consoles do things.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    Controller support hasn't been done in a while but you can make things to certain actions to open up.​​
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    ninjapiffninjapiff Posts: 282 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Making a "port" of Champions Online for the xbone would be a bad idea. The graphics are rather dated, which is the #1 reason consoles are preferred over a PC; you don't need fancy graphics cards or a $1000 computer to play the most recent games. You just need the system, and every game is meant to be played on that specific system (assuming you have the current-gen console). As it is, CO doesn't "work" well enough on the PC, and it wouldn't transfer well to a console platform. You think we've got bugs and imbalances NOW?

Not to mention that as many bugs as CO has would be damn-near inexcusable for the console game market. Only Bethesda can get away with that malarkey.

Now, if Cryptic was making some sort of "Champions 2" or if the City of Titans pipedream actually becomes reality, then I'd LOVE to see it have a console iteration. But putting lipstick on a pig doesn't change the pig. It's still a pig. Just a very pretty pig.
    It makes sense, if you don't think about it.
    ninjapiff wrote: »
    Making a "port" of Champions Online for the xbone would be a bad idea. The graphics are rather dated, which is the #1 reason consoles are preferred over a PC; you don't need fancy graphics cards or a $1000 computer to play the most recent games. You just need the system, and every game is meant to be played on that specific system (assuming you have the current-gen console). As it is, CO doesn't "work" well enough on the PC, and it wouldn't transfer well to a console platform. You think we've got bugs and imbalances NOW?

Not to mention that as many bugs as CO has would be damn-near inexcusable for the console game market. Only Bethesda can get away with that malarkey.

Now, if Cryptic was making some sort of "Champions 2" or if the City of Titans pipedream actually becomes reality, then I'd LOVE to see it have a console iteration. But putting lipstick on a pig doesn't change the pig. It's still a pig. Just a very pretty pig.

You defeat your own argument in the same sentence so I don't see the point you were trying to make.​​
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
  • Options
    vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    Hm. Well, technically the game did have intentions to ported on the Xbox 360. I'm not sure what happened with that, but it used to be in the description of the game on Windows, in the hovertip in the Games menu. "on PC and Xbox 360, blah blah blah".

controller support is there, though, although it's clear with newer menus they haven't updated the buttons to have controller icons.

The trouble is, even with the game on max settings, it doesn't quite look 'current gen'. It is a beautiful game, look at the shadows with high settings on to see that, but you don't have quite the same level of detail as you do with other vidja games out there.

If they ever decided to make a Champions Online 2 though where the whole shebang was rebuilt from the ground up with a new story and everything, they should definitely get in on the console market.

That said, there is a tendency with stuff designed with consoles in mind to be really frustrating on PCs. I find DCUO's menu system really bizarre when using a keyboard, off the top of my memory. So maybe not.
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • Options
    I once configured STO to use a joystick. It worked reasonably well, except for the number of buttons being inadequate to map every single control.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    therealbahamuttherealbahamut Posts: 21 Arc User
    I'm gonna cast my vote for "champions 2," thanks. The concept is there, the draw is there, but the current game is aging badly, the business model is obnoxious at best and the nature of the holy trinity tab-targeting gameplay is inherently limited. There's just not much room to grow design-wise unless we can break out of the whole "need a target" error message era. There's room for a lot of UI improvement, refinement in presentation, and modernization across the board--and if accomplished, would be nothing short of spectacular.
  • Options
    I'm gonna cast my vote for "champions 2," thanks. The concept is there, the draw is there, but the current game is aging badly, the business model is obnoxious at best and the nature of the holy trinity tab-targeting gameplay is inherently limited. There's just not much room to grow design-wise unless we can break out of the whole "need a target" error message era. There's room for a lot of UI improvement, refinement in presentation, and modernization across the board--and if accomplished, would be nothing short of spectacular.

While you have some valid points, a lot of your assessment is also flawed.​​
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User

This is a huge misnomer. ​​

I think the real thing that stopped the CO on consoles was that Microsoft had very draconian rules about what could come on the console. This has kept more than CO off of xbox consoles and those restrictions were only recently overturned around the time that ps4 started beating xbox.

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
  • Options
    kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    a1fighter wrote: »
    Take a look at the DCUO forums compered to CO's; all you see over there is whining and bashing of the game; over here all I tend to see are suggestions more so than calling out the game.

Oh, we've had our fair share of bashing and prophets of doom here. The recent trend of active devs doing stuff has helped bring out CO's better side on the forums.​​
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

• Options
    therealbahamuttherealbahamut Posts: 21 Arc User

While you have some valid points, a lot of your assessment is also flawed.​​

On what points exactly? Mind you, I've been here since just after the game went F2P, and I've been with the games industry from its literal infancy: I was there for Pong. I've seen the industry make leaps and bounds and I'm afraid I have to call out a badly aging game when I see it. Please elaborate.
  • Options
    draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    Fallacies make pointless internet polls even more pointless.
  • Options
    furries2furries2 Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    I know CO's Code needs to get back under control. It's hard to see how bad its conditions is without seeing the Code for yourself but sense it's only for the Developer's Eyes only. It kinda makes most wonder how much line of code needs work.

But I do feel CO is climbing slowly out of it's hole and getting back into action, Will take time but It will get better the more things are getting fixed over time.

Once CO reaches that almost 100% working order, Cryptic and PWE will be seeing money flowing even more in no time. CO would not be in such a bad shape if it was properly maintained there would not be this much work to be done to get things back in proper order.

But hey things happen all they can do is try and repair the damages.
    "I'll never look back I've got no regrets Cause time doesn't wait for me I choose to go my own way."
    "Sonic Archie Comics"
    14mrud2.jpg
    Sonic Vs. Scourge

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension! - (Dr. Ivo Robotnik: You took the words right out of my mouth.)