test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

This game could be amazing

Comments

• furries2furries2 Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    locketon said:

Everyone points to the resistance storyline, because it is by far the best one. Although, I HATE that you fight as a giant destroyer in the end. I want my super bad **** guy to fight him. I pick fights with them on purpose to kick their behinds.

If you want to fight as your hero in Resistance just eject from the robot as soon as you get in. It just be a much harder challenge.

Just a thought.
    "I'll never look back I've got no regrets Cause time doesn't wait for me I choose to go my own way."
    "Sonic Archie Comics"
    14mrud2.jpg
    Sonic Vs. Scourge

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension! - (Dr. Ivo Robotnik: You took the words right out of my mouth.)
  • furries2furries2 Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    What biff said a few posts on the first page, Shadow Destroyer is the darkest it will get plus Demonflame. I do think the darkest of them all is Shadow Destroyer hes far more of a threat and a much darker version than Regular Destroyer.

My vote goes to Shadow Destroyer over Regular Dr. Destroyer.

Another Darker side is the content where people bursts into flames. They burn to a crisp and those screams.

Oh yea just remembered that one part where you have to Elle I believe to avoid being caught that is somewhat dark in nature but that's just me.
    "I'll never look back I've got no regrets Cause time doesn't wait for me I choose to go my own way."
    "Sonic Archie Comics"
    14mrud2.jpg
    Sonic Vs. Scourge

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension! - (Dr. Ivo Robotnik: You took the words right out of my mouth.)
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    Darn don't know him. Looking at his list...doesn't seem to have written anything of note at all. Editor at Wildstorm? Probably some buddy of Jim Lee's that got thrown some work.

His work here stands for itself, though. **holds nose** :p

TBH... "Heard about him" is the best I can tell. I heard the name before, but can't recall anything written by him. Either it was unremarkable, or I remember him only from some reading about the industry.

Fun part is, if you take their previous game and CO later content including comic issues in comparison, looks like Cryptic could save the money on this hire. Because they're perfectly capable of writing better stuff anyway.​​
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    locketon said:

I am genuinely asking, does everyone here think the game is, structurally fine?

None of us can speak for everyone, but, personally...sure, not a problem. It works fine. It is what it is.

'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    locketon said:

ok, going with the idea that I am trying to push my personal tastes on the community, does everyone else think the game is fine how it is?

The game's level cap stopped at 40. Very few powers have been introduced since the game started. Although, I will admit the powers, like wind, have been very fun to play with.

I am genuinely asking, does everyone here think the game is, structurally fine? My argument was that the whole set up, not just the writing, but the whole set up of how the player interacted with the environment and the game enemies was not as good as it could be.

I was arguing for a whole revamp of the environment. In my opinion, adding the adventure packs, and the instant boss fights was a band aid on a larger problem.

But what I'm getting from the community is that every feels this is good. That the game is good the way it is.

Yet again, I'm not asking if all of you think adding more sex and grit will make it better. I am not asking that. What I'm asking is more open ended, Is the game fine, or do you believe it needs to be fixed?

I don't think anyone here doesn't think the game could use some improvement. We do like the game the way it is, that's why we're here, but it's obviously not in the best state. I think most people will tell you that what the game lacks is money. A bigger development team is needed to develop all kinds of content, in a timelier fashion.

Some will tell you the game needs more balance, which we have slowly started getting, recently. Others will tell you we need better costume fixes. There's lots of things the game needs, no one is delusional enough to think that it's in the best place it could possibly be at right now. The reason it seemed that way to you is because a few people disagreed with your opinion in what it would take to fix the game.

As far as a whole revamp of the environment and how players interact with it... I'm not really following what you mean, there.
    biffsig.jpg

As far as a whole revamp of the environment and how players interact with it... I'm not really following what you mean, there.

It reads to me like it originally did... "a completely different game".

'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • locketonlocketon Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2016

It reads to me like it originally did... "a completely different game".

That's my question. 'a completely different game.' Is one side, and, 'the game needs more balance' is the other side. I wasn't asking anyone here to speak for anyone else. I was asking individually what people thought. My personal opinion is the basic, fundamental structure of the game is great, phenomenal. If I didn't feel that way, I wouldn't be on here soaking up insults.

I just think that the way your hero engages in missions is flawed. Now most people mention Resistence as a great indication of the proper story telling Champions has. I feel Resistence is an aberration. I think missions like Resistance should be the norm, not the exception. Now, before you beat me down, I understand there are other adventure packs, the others are better than the missions you get from the original mission layout from Millenium city, to the desert to monster island to lemuria. But , what seems to have happened, is they realized how flawed the original missions were, so they created adventure packs, kinda like band aids on top of the problem. Then people complained about the lack of content, so they created the instances, where you can fight graviton, and others. This, I dislike the most. It is lazy, and no story telling, or feeling of immersion goes into it. But, as you all said.

That is just how I feel. How do you all feel about it. individually, not one person speaking for everyone. Is it just a balancing issue with powers, or is the issue something deeper?
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User

Oh, I have to know who, now. Sounds like it could be the likes of Chuck Austin. :)

John Layman.​​
    So, you're saying the original writer had only a Layman's knowledge of CO?
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    Dunno I find this game amazing doesnt need "dark grim". If I wanted dark grim I'd play Dark Souls.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • ajanusajanus Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    locketon said:

ok, going with the idea that I am trying to push my personal tastes on the community, does everyone else think the game is fine how it is?

The game's level cap stopped at 40. Very few powers have been introduced since the game started. Although, I will admit the powers, like wind, have been very fun to play with.

I am genuinely asking, does everyone here think the game is, structurally fine? My argument was that the whole set up, not just the writing, but the whole set up of how the player interacted with the environment and the game enemies was not as good as it could be.

I was arguing for a whole revamp of the environment. In my opinion, adding the adventure packs, and the instant boss fights was a band aid on a larger problem.

But what I'm getting from the community is that every feels this is good. That the game is good the way it is.

Yet again, I'm not asking if all of you think adding more sex and grit will make it better. I am not asking that. What I'm asking is more open ended, Is the game fine, or do you believe it needs to be fixed?

How about next time just starting the thread off with something along these lines :smile:

I do like most aspects of CO as is, but yes, it can definitely be improved upon.

As far as how you interact with NPCs and get missions and whatnot, that's all fine. I would love a couple of new zones for the 6-20 level range. Most of my "issues" with the game deal with leveling content or just cosmetic. I would also love to see a few adventure packs with intentional design to level you quickly, and have it go faster the more people in the party by a significant margin (similar to sewer runs from CoH). I would also love to see many more skins for drones, munitions bots, and attack toys to match a wider variety of character themes...like robot spiders, scorpions, bats, toy tanks, or things like from Small Soldiers or the little robot guys from Batteries Not Included.

So, I wouldn't want to see CO turned into a new game. Just expand the game horizontally, and not necessarily only do more endgame content (even though it does need more endgame content...)

As a matter of fact, I would love the whole next expansion to be focused on different adventure packs based on leveling and just flood us with so much content that we cant handle it...even though I am fully aware it would never happen. That is something everyone can enjoy solo or with a friend or 2 to level at the pace they desire.

Or, just make a second style of XP Alerts that reward people that are able to complete them.

None of this will change the style, maturity rating, or general feel of the game, just add more options for players. That's really what I would like to see.

Remember: Half the people you know are below average...

Do not correct a fool, for he will hate you for it. Correct a wise man, for he will appreciate you for it.

Don't be like the Qularr. They would not last one round in the Interstellar Galactic Arena...

Handle @brayv
  • locketonlocketon Posts: 13 Arc User
    ajanus said:

locketon said:

I do like most aspects of CO as is, but yes, it can definitely be improved upon.

As far as how you interact with NPCs and get missions and whatnot, that's all fine. I would love a couple of new zones for the 6-20 level range. Most of my "issues" with the game deal with leveling content or just cosmetic. I would also love to see a few adventure packs with intentional design to level you quickly, and have it go faster the more people in the party by a significant margin (similar to sewer runs from CoH). I would also love to see many more skins for drones, munitions bots, and attack toys to match a wider variety of character themes...like robot spiders, scorpions, bats, toy tanks, or things like from Small Soldiers or the little robot guys from Batteries Not Included.

So, I wouldn't want to see CO turned into a new game. Just expand the game horizontally, and not necessarily only do more endgame content (even though it does need more endgame content...)

As a matter of fact, I would love the whole next expansion to be focused on different adventure packs based on leveling and just flood us with so much content that we cant handle it...even though I am fully aware it would never happen. That is something everyone can enjoy solo or with a friend or 2 to level at the pace they desire.

Or, just make a second style of XP Alerts that reward people that are able to complete them.

None of this will change the style, maturity rating, or general feel of the game, just add more options for players. That's really what I would like to see.

I agree with this completely. Here's an idea, what do you guys think?

Maybe they could revamp the adventure pack system to lay out three different types of missions. Like beginning as somewhat of an origin system and ending with the final defeat of a hated enemy. Like, ok, let's say there are four of them. Not long deep content, but just like what they have in the regular adventure packs. Something that takes about an hour and a half. One will have the origin of you were born this way. Now I know you guys might think this may be difficult, but it shouldn't be.
    Ok, we have the three original adventure packs. Serpent lantern, demon flame, and resistence. I like them. If I were to put them in my personal order, it would be resistence, then serpent lantern, then demon flame. I think the main problem with them is how impersonal they felt.

1. A tech story. You start as a young up and coming tech guy. You start your own company. You are run out of business by a big conglomerate. People in companies are being killed and tech is stolen. You create your suit, or power or whatever and fight the company, ending in a big battle against who ever was behind the shadiness.

2. born that way. you just moved to millenium city after having lived in a small town your whole life. You don't know why, but your dad woke you up in the middle of the night, shoved money in your pocket, and kicked you out the door. He would only tell you 'they are looking for you' An organization is hunting you down, and after a run in or two, you decide to find them. Bing, bang, boom. You find the organization, maybe in the desert, and have a show down.

3. normal guy/girl, given something that gives them powers. normal boring person, living a normal boring life. Maybe a janitor, maybe an orthodontist. Whatever. One night you're walking home when a man runs up, out of the dark, hands you a vial and whispers, 'hide this.' before he pushes you in a dumpster. From a crack in the dumpster you see him run down the alley, only to notice there's no escape. People chase him into the alley and shoot him. They check his body and see that nothing is on him. They look around before someone realizes that you are in the dumpster. You jump out and that cracks the vial, cutting you, and now the the mega juice flows into you. Now you fight those people, and bing bang boom. by the end of the story you defeat the organization.

4. Magic. I'm not into magic, bt some people are, and I'm sure they could think of some doctor strange-ish thing here.

Obviously this is all recycled comic book stuff. I'm not stupid enough to think you will read this and think, 'these are all genius.' No, they're not. They're recycled comic stuff. What I like is the concept of having motivation and back ground. With leveling of enemies. The first you meet are easy to fight, while the last ones are difficult. You could get a level ten character and have a real tough time. Or a level 40 and blow past them.

My question is, is this something that people here would like? Is the general idea something you would like, as in, semi origin stories, or is it something you feel would be off-putting?

• iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User

Darn don't know him. Looking at his list...doesn't seem to have written anything of note at all. Editor at Wildstorm? Probably some buddy of Jim Lee's that got thrown some work.

Actually, he's a pretty good writer. Of comics, at any rate.

Either he didn't understand that the Champions Universe is 'serious' in the first place, or received direction or decided on his own that it was supposed to be a parody.

My suspicion is that he was told to emulate WoW in terms of adding in humor and pop culture references and since he had no investment nor understanding of the pre-existing Champions Setting(s), he went full retard.
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    jonsills said:

So, you're saying the original writer had only a Layman's knowledge of CO?

Probably less!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User

Without commenting on the OP's tastes, this is why I wish we had the Foundry. So we could design missions to fit various sub-genres and themes and tailor the game so the OP can enjoy a grittier experience while Ajanus's daughter could (hopefully) still find some light-hearted fun for all forty levels.

Yeah, I think Foundry is the biggest thing that Champs needs.

The best part is, the world in this MMO is unlike any other.

How many MMO's are not set in a high fantasy setting or ultra-dark futuristic setting?

The only other I can think of is Secret World, and that is just... Meh... and the only other that could rival Champs would be City of Heroes, but that went the way of the dodo.

The resemblance is not a coincidence.

TBH... "Heard about him" is the best I can tell. I heard the name before, but can't recall anything written by him. Either it was unremarkable, or I remember him only from some reading about the industry.

Fun part is, if you take their previous game and CO later content including comic issues in comparison, looks like Cryptic could save the money on this hire. Because they're perfectly capable of writing better stuff anyway.​​marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Category:John_Layman/Writer

Not much written by him.....
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    Let's see how many I can remember
    according to various people the game would be great if;
    it had more adult missions- MA instead of T
    it had more RP zones,
    all missions were skull level
    -had a choice of recog/resources/gear for rewards
    - had 5 times(or maybe 10) the resource rewards
    - all missions were repeatable at 40 for large resource reward.
    all drops taken out of the game were put back
    the crafting system(which people kept saying only gave crap) was put back
    -the items made by the old crafting system were put in as random drops
    a Foundry was put in;
    -people were able to assign rewards to those missions
    -people were able to make hordes of the things missions(farm)

PVE
    -we get more adventure packs with 'suitable rewards'
    -we got new zones
    -we got new power sets regularly
    -we got new story arcs
    - we got a villain side
    - SCR/GCR was rewards for level 40+ missions.
    -Get rid of spec trees
    - make all powers what they were originally
    - bump up all the low powers instead of lowering the one high power
    - have lots of end game gear grind(well that person is getting their wish)
    - not have a load of end game grind
    - have a mixed assortment of endgame activities
    - players be able to have 2 passives active at once
    - All mobs should have better AI's(ok that ones valid, they are pretty stupid)

PVP
    -we had open world PVP including inside buildings.
    -SCR for taking part
    -rampage tokens for taking part
    -Q for taking part
    -items in the SCR store were buyable with acclaim.

Lockboxes
    - were removed
    - were put back in the zen store as grab bags
    - items were direct purchase from zen store
    - keys dropped ingame
    - Gold got to open lockboxes for free(from several DCUO players. those lockboxes are different)

Silver;
    -had pet skins
    -power colours
    -free retcon at 40
    -free slot at 40(yes someone has asked for that)
    -All AT's should be free

FF slots be changed to 2500, 1500, 1000, 300 zen (yes 300 and then he might save up for it)

Vehicles;
    -be removed totally
    - to be made a lot cheaper
    - to be customisable(a vehicle tailor)
    -have better weapons

Pets;
    -have better defences
    -have better attacks
    -have better Ai's(so they don't just stand there)
    - stay out all the time
    -can hold aggro
    -can make your characters into sidekicks, so you can have a group of 5 of your characters.
    - had a lot lower energy costs

All costume sets to be 500zen or less

Be able to make mod programs (last few lines on the post: so if anyone wanted to run with infinite questionite they could)

Nemesis
    - you could have an organisation as a Nemesis
    - you could use someone else's nemesis(you can, just copy it)
    - you could design nemesis missions(that one actually sounded ok)

@crypticarkayne doesn't choke or die laughing reading this lot

Doesn't look so good all together, does it?
    Now imagine the game if of those changes got done, including the mutually exclusive ones(assuming the game doesn't implode)
    TL;DR
    This is what interest me/I like, change the game to this and it'll be great for me, nobody else matters unless they agree with me.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• vestrii#2377 vestrii Posts: 2 Arc User
    Having an expanded Power Replacers system put back into the game, with multiple dedicated slots for them outside the normal gear slots.

Having the ability to buy more bag slots.

Getting a Wall Crawling Travel power and/or adding Vertical Surface Running to the Super Speed TP’s.

All things the dev’s have explain over and over again were technically unfeasible...
    1: The ability to make Nemesis missions could be done as a Foundry function. :p

2: Foundry is AWESOME in STO.

3: The gold key thing would have to have a fundamental limitation, such as one lockbox per account per day or week... and probably making the items acquired either ABoP or CBoP.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    chaelk said:

Let's see how many I can remember

Some of those are actually reasonable, even if others aren't. I'd say the reasonable ones include:

1) all drops taken out of the game were put back. Removing content is generally frowned upon in nearly every MMO. Note that this mainly applies to costume unlocks and other "fun" things.

2) a Foundry was put in. The foundry is actually really popular over at STO and probably even at NW, although I don't play the latter so I can't say for certain. It would do wonders for a game like CO where regular updates and content don't happen, as it would let players basically "make their own content" within limits, of course.

3) All of these are reasonable
    -we get more adventure packs with 'suitable rewards'
    -we got new zones
    -we got new power sets regularly
    (on occasion would be more appropriate)
    -we got new story arcs
    - we got a villain side
    (Although I fully admit that this is probably beyond the current team's scope of ability/resources/etc)

4) -Get rid of spec trees. Well I wouldn't remove them, however these could use a tuning pass or some sort of overhaul. Right now, they're pretty unbalanced, as they're full of "right choices" and "wrong choices."

5) - players be able to have 2 passives active at once. Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing something similar to this (but not quite like this) which would allow players to each have an offensive, support, and defensive passive. Depending on their role, the strength of each would be adjusted. For example, something like 60% effectiveness for all 3 in hybrid, while dps would get 100% for their offensive passive, but only 30% for the other two. Percentages open to adjustment, of course.

6) - All mobs should have better AI's(ok that ones valid, they are pretty stupid).

7) -items in the SCR store were buyable with acclaim. This one is reasonable. Let players pick their path of progression instead of saying, "You can only do this." They already sort of do it with heroic gear and probably a few other things, but I don't know because I personally am not interested in CO PvP.

8) Silver;
    -had pet skins
    -power colours
    -free retcon at 40
    -All AT's should be free

ALL of those are reasonable. Tinting/pet skinning is purely cosmetic and helps emphasize this game's amazing customization system. Free retcon at 40 is great for newer players who WILL make mistakes on the way up, especially if they either got the free freeform slot or ponied up an absurd $50 for one. Unless this game's respec system improves drastically, it's really the only humane approach. And finally, ALL ATs should be free because seriously, freeform is really all that matters and that's a subscriber perk. Aside from maybe a few fringe people, or those who want to top off their dps because of some wonky growth bonus (or bug?) certain ATs have, there's no reason to buy an AT unlock when you could subscribe and get freeform. Even if every single AT was free and they released a new one every month, I know I'd still rather have access to freeform.

9) FF slots be changed to 2500, 1500, 1000, 300 zen (yes 300 and then he might save up for it). (Yeah, 300 is low, but this item is currently way overpriced. 1500-2000 would be way more reasonable. As a silver, I'd rather buy a reasonably-priced freeform slot than an AT unlock.

(Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).

"Stop trying to make Foundry happen, Gretchen. It's not going to happen."

CO's not tagged like STO was. They'd have to go through the game and tag EVERYTHING, and they've already said they're not going to do that.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited April 2016
    This game is amazing and its it cartoony camp that makes it amazing for one reason : it some how makes the playerbase utterly batshit. There are less up their own arse "serious" players and the ones that appear don't last long. Anal retentive players come and go but campy Brou and Finn are eternal :D

Serious games foster serious players and in the end no one likes them lot.
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Posts: 409 Arc User

(..and I think I just came up with a new Nem... :smiley: )

CO's not tagged like STO was. They'd have to go through the game and tag EVERYTHING, and they've already said they're not going to do that.

You know you want to see it happen. :p

Yes, I know, it'd probably be a ridiculous amount of work just to setup a basic version. But it'd be so much awesome. :)
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    edited April 2016
    Oh, I WANT it. But it's not gonna happen. Early Cryptic seemed to hire the most f*&ked up coders they could find. I'm sure "undocumented spaghetti code" is an understatement. Sad that they learned nothing from the problems this caused at CoX. :(
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png

Oh, I WANT it. But it's not gonna happen. Early Cryptic seemed to hire the most f*&ked up coders they could find. I'm sure "undocumented spaghetti code" is an understatement. Sad that they learned nothing from the problems this caused at CoX. :(

We do have to laugh at the fact some of the bugs actually followed Cryptic from CoX to CO. That must of took some sort of messed up skill.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    No it couldn't. But it can continue to be fun and can get more fun with time, like it has been.
    edited April 2016
    2) a Foundry was put in. The foundry is actually really popular over at STO and probably even at NW, although I don't play the latter so I can't say for certain. It would do wonders for a game like CO where regular updates and content don't happen, as it would let players basically "make their own content" within limits, of course.

the foundry in NW can be described as 90% farms, literally.
    When I was still playing at end of 2014, they had a farm wipe
    day 1- about 110 missions left . people asking openly in zone where the farms were
    day 2- 375 missions there
    day 4- 1100+ missions there and a lot I recognized but they now had a different author.
    The interview from 2012 when on alert came out, stated, that a Foundry would be too much work.
    I still level at', despite having a gold acct.​​

• vitalityprimevitalityprime Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited April 2016

Unfortunately, this type of mindset is probably the true reason why we won't have the foundry.
    _________
    VARIANT

"Nearly all men can withstand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

-Abraham Lincoln-
  • squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User
    The sad part about Foundry is, if they dedicated 30 minutes of developer time per week to tagging objects, it would be done by now. Not 30 minutes per developer - just 30 minutes for one developer every week.

Seriously, it's been *over 4 years* since Foundry came out on STO. 30 minutes per week = 104 hours in 4 years.

The reason Foundry will never happen is because Cryptic can't be bothered to commit even small amounts of time to longterm projects. They've decided it won't happen, so they don't do any work on it, which of course means it won't happen.

(As to the state of Foundry missions on NWO: Foundry has no rewards on NWO (only a piece of guaranteed vendor trash at the end), and it seems like the foundry engine doesn't let people do what they really want to do - design their own dungeon layout. That's a pretty big thing for a D+D game. At least, the few foundries I've tried seem to reuse a lot of layouts from existing NWO maps. STO foundry system when i last used it ~4 years ago was in pretty good shape, and had interesting missions people had designed).
    edited April 2016
    The reason Foundry hasn't happened here is because when they introduced the Nighthawk missions a couple of years ago, bringing us vehicles for the first time, the global chat server (a system which, you may understand, is totally unrelated to anything they did) died. It took weeks to fix that.

"Spaghetti code" isn't even in it. This is some sort of Lovecraftian non-Euclidean mess that drives men mad when they look upon it (which, incidentally, explains a lot about why the early game missions are the way they are...).
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

edited April 2016
    a1fighter said:

Dear Devs

Please read and consider this. CO has the potential to be the best super hero game on the market. Tap into its' potential. One thing I love about the folks here compared to Marvel 2016 or DCUO, is they appear to take in feedback.

I really, really like the character alt >>> sidekick idea; it would encourage folks to buy more slots. Character created pets or sidekicks made easy, brilliant.

Everything has "the potential" to be the best thing of its type. CO most likely isn't going to reach its supposed potential at this point though because:

1) It's too old. Yes, this really does matter because I can't really think of any instance where an old game suddenly became "a huge deal" because its potential was fully realized. Maybe FFXIV, but that wasn't anywhere near as old as CO.

2) Such an endeavor would be considered high risk, low reward at best. CO is full of old, jaded players, and any big changes could potentially drive them away in a temper tantrum. In contrast, this game does little to attract new blood besides offer great appearance customization and a unique power selection system. Too bad the latter is only available to subscribers, and new players aren't going to subscribe to a game if their first impression of it sucks. One of my friends said this game "looked autistic" when I suggested it to her, and she's a fellow STO player. This is unfortunately how many people perceive older games like this at a glance, thanks to dated graphics, an utterly miserable post-tutorial starting experience, and a limited selection of ATs--most of which are quite terrible.
    a1fighter said:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online/news/detail/9938233-champions-online:-state-of-the-game

They are trying though, wonder what the predator is, sounds interesting.

It's just another AT and whatever it offers will still be outshined by freeform characters. Frankly, I think adding all these new ATs is a colossal waste of developer resources unless they plan on making them (and all existing ATs) 100% free and available to everyone to improve the first-time-player starting experience.

As a silver who actually has come to understand a bit about this game, I find ATs to be a complete waste of money. I don't know how many premium ATs there are, but the way I see it, you could take the money needed to buy every AT and just spend it on LTS next time it goes on sale to get a lot more bang for your buck.

Edit: Just finished patching so I went in and looked:

17 C-store ATs.

17 x 1150 = 19550

That's $195.50. Just a bit less than LTS when it goes on sale, and LTS will give you all of them for free anyway.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    I've been getting them on my third acct, silver, free with the events.​​

ajanus wrote: »

How about next time just starting the thread off with something along these lines :smile:

unfortunately, Adventure packs were done, when the game had a larger dev team.​​

jonsills wrote: »
    The reason Foundry hasn't happened here is because when they introduced the Nighthawk missions a couple of years ago, bringing us vehicles for the first time, the global chat server (a system which, you may understand, is totally unrelated to anything they did) died. It took weeks to fix that.

"Spaghetti code" isn't even in it. This is some sort of Lovecraftian non-Euclidean mess that drives men mad when they look upon it (which, incidentally, explains a lot about why the early game missions are the way they are...).

it didn't just take out the chat server. it screwed up mission givers- all over the maps and a variety of other thigns.
    here's the list
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline/#/discussion/239805/a-torrent-of-bugs​​

edited April 2016
    chaelk said:

jonsills said:

it didn't just take out the chat server. it screwed up mission givers- all over the maps and a variety of other thigns.

here's the list

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline/#/discussion/239805/a-torrent-of-bugs​​
    I think we still have some of those. :/
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    edited April 2016
    chaelk said:

here's the list

In fairness, Cryptic isn't the only company with this kind of problem. In WoW, the basic backpack is only 16 slots, and over the years, there's been a demand to increase this capacity somehow. Blizzard tried to do this, but what happened as a result had items, gold, and all kinds of things disappearing, breaking, and/or behaving strangely in bizarre ways. It's not just "spaghetti code" as people like to say, but rather, both the programming practices as well as developer technologies of yesterday are nowhere near as good as they are today.
    aesica said:

chaelk said:

here's the list

In fairness, Cryptic isn't the only company with this kind of problem. In WoW, the basic backpack is only 16 slots, and over the years, there's been a demand to increase this capacity somehow. Blizzard tried to do this, but what happened as a result had items, gold, and all kinds of things disappearing, breaking, and/or behaving strangely in bizarre ways. It's not just "spaghetti code" as people like to say, but rather, both the programming practices as well as developer technologies of yesterday are nowhere near as good as they are today.
    Hell, when STO recently updated their game, suddenly a random assortment of items were duplicated, filling inventories and causing overflow bags to lock up (fortunately, some of us CO vets were able to share the command to unlock them). I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the eight Blue-level Bridge Officers I have in my inventory on my main, that were duped out of the standby menu (I hate to just dismiss them, but they don't really have any skills I need to turn into Training Manuals...). And then there's the spare IDIC Tribble - what if I dismiss the extra, then someone tries to fix the mess by deleting "extra" items and my tribble disappears? And the extra ship boxes my Rom has, because only one of each type can be unlocked, but will dropping the box cause problems? No one seems to know...

a1fighter said:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online/news/detail/9938233-champions-online:-state-of-the-game

They are trying though, wonder what the predator is, sounds interesting.

Personally, I'm intrigued by the Hexslinger. Will there be some new magical abilities? Or even just a cleanup of existing ones?

jonsills said:

Hell, when STO recently updated their game, suddenly a random assortment of items were duplicated, filling inventories and causing overflow bags to lock up (fortunately, some of us CO vets were able to share the command to unlock them). I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the eight Blue-level Bridge Officers I have in my inventory on my main, that were duped out of the standby menu (I hate to just dismiss them, but they don't really have any skills I need to turn into Training Manuals...). And then there's the spare IDIC Tribble - what if I dismiss the extra, then someone tries to fix the mess by deleting "extra" items and my tribble disappears? And the extra ship boxes my Rom has, because only one of each type can be unlocked, but will dropping the box cause problems? No one seems to know...

I'm just glad they also recently gave us extra inventory slots. It gives me some place to keep the extra tribbles and retired rewards from the old FEs until I feel safe deleting them.

Since STO is built off the same old engine as CO, it's not at all surprising.
    jonsills said:

aesica said:

chaelk said:

here's the list

Z-store ship boxes can be tossed. You can always claim another. Now the IDIC Tribble. Give it to a Boff. Now your team has TWO IDIC buffs at once.

But that example was the devs running a script to recover lost items. Why the game thought those items were lost is anyone's guess, but it did.

A better example would be how Foundry maps sometimes change drastically for no obvious reason when something elsewhere gets changed. There was one instance where half of a map got cut off for no obvious reason, and several where major terrain features were mysteriously relocated.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    Hexslinger sounds like a Caliburn-inspired AT.​​
    predator sounds darkness plus bestial, Hexslinger magic + guns​​

Yeah, something comes directly to mind when I see "Predator". But I don't think that we'll get a Yautja inspired AT.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    To me, Predator says Bestial with Melee Offensive passive.
    Hexslinger says debuffer.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Hexslinger to me says we're getting new sorcery powers and that it'll be a sorcery dps role AT. Probably a new magic nuke ( since we don't have one, our primary dps power for sorcery is a cone aoe for crying out loud ) and maybe some debuffs, possibly some dot stuff.

Predator makes me think of a MA Claws tank. Maybe we're getting a claws lunge?
    Like a cat pouncing on prey? love it. :)
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters