test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Captain America: Civil War non-spoiler review

tigerofcachticetigerofcachtice Posts: 551 Arc User
edited April 2016 in Off Topic
One Sentence Review - IMHO it's the best MCU film, should have been positioned/"branded" as a full-fledged Avengers film.

My favourite MCU films have been the Avengers films for the team dynamics and the ensemble cast, Guardians of the Galaxy for fun and the buddy moments, Ant Man for the creative combat and humour. Civil War outdoes all of them, even in those elements, IMHO.

It is also cohesive and pretty smart. There are individual story threads and personal motivations, but they are weaved together well. The source material, the Civil War comic crossover, had good ideas, but force-fitted them together. The film fixes those issues.

Whether you're with Cap or with Iron Man...you're clearly correct in this film. Both sides of the issue make very good sense. That said, based on their personal philosophies, and some emotional triggers, they were on opposite sides and were both right.

And this is a character-loaded film, with so many chefs in the kitchen. Yet each still had their mission-critical roles. Whether it be in combat or with emotional ties to others to bring out their best (and worst), it's like the story would have not been the same without all of them.

It is an outstanding superhero film, spy thriller, political thriller, buddy movie, all in one. It is also, IMHO, critical viewing to understand the later films...which I'm very, very excited for now. I wished I had skipped Iron Man 2 & 3, Thor 2, but this IMHO is necessary viewing.

I will now move on to specific questions I think those that viewed the trailers were wondering about, still in non-spoiler mode:

Do the trailers or the many, many leaks already show the best parts of the film?

No, there's plenty more where that came from. I thought I saw all the leaks and the trailers already looked way too awesome, but they top it in hilarious and fun ways. They all come from different acts, as there is so much action in this film, but also intrigue.

How's Codename: Underoos? Is it just like a 30-second cameo?

Codename: Underoos is phenomenal. I liked his predecessors fine, but the latest Codename: Underoos is The ONE. It makes sense for him to talk that much. And it's not 30 seconds...it's like 30 minutes. He's trying to prove himself, to the Avengers, but also to YOU.

How does it compare to Batman V Superman?

It's not an unreasonable question. Aside from Civil War being Cap V Iron Man, there's actually a lot of similar elements, it's almost like Marvel got a hold of BvS's script and just tried to outdo them on all the things BvS was criticised for, as if taunting them. It's quite ridiculous.

Without going into details, I thought BvS had great scenes/sequences, but when it tried to put them together, it felt like a force-fitted jigsaw puzzle where you can still see major seams and gaps. Civil War, on the other hand, put similar pieces in a better-fitting overall picture.

When you read professional film critics' reviews, they'll likely give Civil War a much, much higher rating than BvS, and I think that's why. They are grading both as entire films. BvS had great snippets of Dark Knight Returns and Injustice, but Civil War was like a great story overall.

FINAL RATING: 5 Star-Spangled Shields out of 5

I really lament they didn't call this Avengers 3: Civil War, as it had every right to be. I'll also answer any questions you may have.
Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
More action at Champions Online Comics @ http://co-comics.webs.com
Post edited by tigerofcachtice on

Comments

• biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    Tobey was my favorite so far, but I'm hoping new guy does a good job too. I'll have to read the rest of the review later, but your one sentence review gives me hope.
    biffsig.jpg
  • tigerofcachticetigerofcachtice Posts: 551 Arc User

Tobey was my favorite so far, but I'm hoping new guy does a good job too. I'll have to read the rest of the review later, but your one sentence review gives me hope.

I think you'll like the new one, but won't go as far to say he'll be your favourite guarenteed. He's much more like Tobey Maguire/Sam Raimi's interpretation, but perhaps more so because he's even younger in real life. It's even in his voice.

I also think the new directors have the benefit of learning from the previous Spiderman films and the new superhero films. He's not positioned in the same way as the other characters. He really represents his own thing, a new hero on the rise.
    Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    That sounds pretty rad.
    biffsig.jpg
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I am anxious to see it. I still haven't gotten around to seeing the Garfield version of Spidey, but I heard he was leagues ahead of Toby, and I despise Toby.​​
    Post edited by championshewolf on
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • tigerofcachticetigerofcachtice Posts: 551 Arc User

I am anxious to see it. I still haven't gotten around to seeing the Garfield version of Spidey, but I heard he was leagues ahead of Toby, and I despite Toby.​​

That's good, I'm legitimately curious how you'll see the new kid. I personally liked Garfield's portrayal more myself.

Previously, I said the new Spiderman was like Maguire's but more so. Maguire's issue was that he was in his 20s/30s, trying to be a baby-face to depict a teenager. The new one, on other hand, IS a teenager (19), trying to keep up with the big boys.

Thus, he came off as very genuine. There's a scene where a veteran actor is just trolling this kid, probably improving his lines, pushing this poor kid to see how far he can possibly go. It's one of the many fun scenes.

Either way, Civil War will help you know whether or not to see the Spiderman reboot, IMHO. Without giving away any spoilers, I believe the directors or producers expected people to judge this appearance and gave a brief "demo".

And on that note, a new character gets a similar "demo" and I'm excited to see his solo spin-off, too.
    Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    My problem with McGuire is he had exactly one tone for acting and always sounded like he was on the verge of tears and begging like a little puppy every time he delivered a line. And when he was as Spiderman, he hardly did any jokes or quips. I think in all three movies he might have had 3 quips he used. People will say he was a better Spiderman but I will always vehemently disagree.

I would love to see Garfields, and honestly think he was a victim of reboot too soon.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    IMHO this is a proper Captain America sequel, rather than an Avengers sequel, in that the friendship between Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes was in the forefront throughout the movie, and the catalyst for much of what occurred. There's a strong through-line of the evolution of their relationship in all three Captain America films.

OTOH it's also, as RDJ put it in an interview, a "mini Iron Man movie," because the story is told almost as much from his perspective as from Cap's. Yes, we have a whole lot of Avengers and new characters to balance (which the Russo Bros did remarkably well IMO), but what they do ends up being driven by the agendas of the two main pro/antagonists.