test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

PUT the warning in the character creator.

chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
edited April 2016 in Suggestions Box
How many people actually read the TOS before ticking it and creating their first character?.. well apart from me
How many people have read the costumes and behaviour guidelines?

Put them in the character creator for your first character on the account. Make people tick both boxes. put a timer on it if necessary, to give them time to read.
creator1_zpszy44gjds.png
creator2_zpsrvfoe9sd.png
edit add in:

last night I saw a mr Sinister clone , I've seen around a lot . Last few months.
previously he used title Mister, name Sinister
last night he had title Sinister, name Mister,
only change to costume I could see was string cloak changed to full.
still easily recognizable and identifiable as Mister Sinister.

so it looks like he got reported and decided NOT to change it from a clone.
notice the penalties and that is the actual guidelines;
temporary suspension of acct or permanent ban.
what do people get;
a free rename and a note to change the costume.
a second report gets a generic.
and yes, I have seen people in the PH openly discussing how someone genericed their perfect copy of something and they remade it again.
​​
Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
Post edited by chaelk on

Comments

• Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    /signed this needs to happen.
    Post edited by nepht on
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    That is an excellent idea.

Make it so!

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    drgmstrdrgmstr Posts: 886 Arc User
    I second this. I have gone out of the way several times when I am in the PH or in MC and notice a clone roaming around to PM them if they are aware of the TOS about making costumes, 99% of the time they don't even know what a TOS is.

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    Hrmm, this is a good idea actually.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    Yes, this needs to be done.
  • Options
    beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    I would like to think this is unnecessary because I feel like people ought to know better... but many probably do not. Anyway it is not like a few extra boxes to click is going to hurt anything, though people making clones would still probably make clones anyway.

• Options
    guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,393 Arc User
    I think for new accounts this would be a good idea. If you want to play a marvel cone they have a game for that, called Marvel Heroes, but if this popped up every time I made a character it would get tedious fast.
  • Options
    raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I spent a whole 2 weeks seeing the exact same spawn clone in alerts daily... reported him every time... saw him genericised in the first alert and in 3 other alerts since then... and he still remade used the same exact name "Hellspawn" every time... how many times does it take for someone to actually get banned now? Oddly enough the guy actually switched from Scorge AT to Freeform after being genericized... AND STILL MADE A SPAWN CLONE!
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    I love this game very much, this is a good idea, besides I don't want to see this game go because Marvel (now owned by Disney) to try to sue the company again because a moron wanted to play as a Hulk clone.

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    all they get is warned then genericced.

what they need to do , is;
    1. amend the TOS.
    2. Post on the character select screen after it has been amended the new TOS, as usual, to sign PLUS the costume and behavior guidelines to sign. With the new rules and punishments

1st offence, generic the character. save a copy of character clone.
    send message with the attached clone picture and it's original.
    stating that if this character is found to be a clone again. it will be summarily wiped.

2nd offence- send original message and pictures, with new pictures and the note, that that character has been wiped. Any more clones on that acct and the acct will be banned.

3rd offence- guess what.

after the first couple get done and complain loudly in zone and the forums. You should have a sudden drop in clones, as people try to avoid losing gear and items on clones.
    It may sound harsh but it's not exactly hard to see the current approach isn't working.

People just remake them because they know, nothing bad will happen.

How many SG's do we have devoted to clones?
    Mind you, one of them I have noticed is making an effort to make blendings of characters.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    I feel they should extend on the rules on costumes about homages as well. For example: Yesterday I noticed someone made a Ichigo 'clone'. I asked them that they are in violation of breaking the rules to making a clone. They said it wasn't a clone, it was a homage. This character WAS Ichigo, except they changed the hair to brown, while everything else was the same as you would see on the anime. Is that still considered a clone? I think so. It's like making a clone but the only thing you changed is them being left handed instead of right handed.

"Embrace your dreams"

• Options
    rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Ah the calamity of business, F**king love it... /sarcasm
    Who cares if you're portraying fictional character because you had some sentiment towards it?
    If anything it lacks creativity, It's like getting a commission of *Insert Recognizable Character here* and claiming it to be you, it doesn't... with human legalities claiming this and controlling that, while I understand why,
    The only reason why this stifling exist is because of Profit and the programming on how it affects the masses to give it it's importance, otherwise it's just paper, digits on a computer screen.

I just had to say something... Hope you can understand.
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • Options
    riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    It's a really good idea. But I hold no fantasies that it will deter those who really don't care. Like your "Mr. Sinister" example. He's been genericed repeatedly and he gives Zero you-know-whats. Those type of people can't really be scared off by a TOS.

Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • Options
    xrazamaxxrazamax Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I for one don't really care. I don't want to see a bunch of clones running around but they don't hurt me. Those people aren't likely to stick around anyways - I don't know why we have such a crusade to get rid of clones in the game?

I support this just so people know the rules, but I don't feel any grudge or hate towards clones like the rest of the community.
  • Options
    I report clones all the time.
    I'm just that sort of player.
    :p

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    /signed again we need to stalking the devs and force them to read this thread
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User
    xrazamax said:

I for one don't really care. I don't want to see a bunch of clones running around but they don't hurt me. Those people aren't likely to stick around anyways - I don't know why we have such a crusade to get rid of clones in the game?

I support this just so people know the rules, but I don't feel any grudge or hate towards clones like the rest of the community.

Cryptic has to be able to prove they take action against trademark violating material to defend themselves against lawsuits. That's why we have such a crusade, because there are legal implications if we don't.

• Options
    xrazamax said:

I, like many others, love this game and want to see it succeed... Clones are detrimental to that end... their very existance threaten the longevity of the game on a daily basis... I think the most annoying thing about this whole situation though is that there seems to be a complete lack of action after so many offenses... Add to this, it seems that if someone upgrades from Silver to Gold or buys anything of substantial value from the store they suddenly have a blind eye turned towards them when it comes to clones. Like I pointed out with the spawn clone in my last post, after he switched from Scourge AT to Freeform they stopped taking action against him.
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    grimvanegrimvane Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Hey guys, I have a question.

What is the problem?

What I mean is, if CO were an offline game that you played at home in private, would it be illegal or a Trademark violation to make and play a "clone" character? By the same token, are people who draw and post images of established heroes on something like DeviantArt guilty of Trademark infringement?

I think the problem actually stems from the fact that Cryptic says that all characters created and played are their property.

So we shouldn't make and play characters that Cryptic cannot claim as their property. I've written a comic book. I do not create and play my characters in CO, because I am not willing to cede ownership of those characters to Cryptic.
    drgmstr said:

I feel they should extend on the rules on costumes about homages as well. For example: Yesterday I noticed someone made a Ichigo 'clone'. I asked them that they are in violation of breaking the rules to making a clone. They said it wasn't a clone, it was a homage. This character WAS Ichigo, except they changed the hair to brown, while everything else was the same as you would see on the anime. Is that still considered a clone? I think so. It's like making a clone but the only thing you changed is them being left handed instead of right handed.

Are you asking people to agree that something that is not a clone is a clone? Why? Think about what you are doing and why you are doing it!

Was this character:
    1. Named Ichigo?
    2. Identical to Ichigo?

It sounds like the answer to both of those questions is no, otherwise you would not be asking for the rules to be extended to homages.

I'm trying to impress Iron "Defender" Man, doing missions for his team mates Scarlett Witchcraft and Black Flash and Martian "IronClad" Manhunter and the Sapphire Dazzler. I'm rescuing the passengers from LOST, navigating my own private Westside Story, facing off against Serpentor, while trying not to get trampled by a Large. Green. Irradiated. HULK! Buffy the Vampire slayer anyone?

You say that character WAS Ichigo. I say Amphibian IS Aquaman, by your standards.

Clones are a problem for Cryptic. Report them.

Homages, parodies, and inspirations are obviously not a problem. The evidence is overwhelming, everywhere you look ingame, everywhere you read.

So again, what is it that you are seeking to accomplish? Why should we expand the rules?

Someone who likes Ichigo didn't break the rules, so you want to change the rules! C'mon, that's sad isn't it? Go have an incredibly original and never previously uttered conversation with someone about how superior your creativity is instead. The satisfaction you're trying to find through witchunts and shadenfreude will only be fleeting, at best, anyway.
  • Options
    qawsadaqawsada Posts: 742 Arc User
    grimvane said:

Hey guys, I have a question.

What is the problem?

http://www.engadget.com/2005/12/14/marvel-vs-city-of-heroes-lawsuit-settled/
    To prevent this from happening to Cryptic again.
  • Options
    qawsada said:
    If that is true, then you want the definition of clone to be as accurate and narrow as possible, not broaden it which is counter-productive.

The point where you exceed the criteria established by Cryptic is the point where you cease being heroes defending the game, and become vigilantes motivated by personal reasons, possibly selfish and/or ignorant.

Look at The Night Avenger and The Savage archetypes. Read their descriptions in the C-store. Do they conjure up any similarities to Batman and Wolverine? The game encourages us to have iconic experiences, without making clones. So let's not persecute people who are having iconic experiences, without making clones.

"The lawsuit has always looked to conclude in NCSoft's favor; last March, the judge overseeing the lawsuit dismissed half of Marvel's complaints, citing that many of the complaints were spawned from characters made in the game that Marvel employees, themselves, had created."

There is nothing that anyone can do to prevent Marvel or anyone else from filing frivolous lawsuits. Cryptic has established criteria for what is and is not permissable. drgmstr wants to expand that criteria because he "knows" that someone who is not actually playing Ichigo is secretly pretending to be Ichigo. This is Thought Police stuff. Crimes of the imagination.

How does making it easier to be in violation of a policy like this benefit anyone except a company like Marvel and/or hysterical busy bodies traumatzed by lawsuits they didn't understand?

I think the OP's idea is a good one in that it establishes that Cryptc has emphasized that aspect of the TOS. I don't think we need to hold other players to a higher standard than Cryptic hold itself or us.
  • Options
    riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Also as far as homages go... there is the concept of Archetypes. And know I don't mean player classes. I mean a universal type character that you can find in a particular genre.

- A big strong guy who is invulnerable to harm (Colossus, Superman, Hercules).
    - The wise all-knowing father figure (Zeus, Odin, Professor-X).
    - The Patriot (Uncle Sam, Captain America). And so on..

Archetypes go back to the very beginning of time and you can find them everywhere. See Joseph Campbell's the "Hero with a thousand Faces". Comic books lend themselves to archetypes quite easily. Also parodies and homages aren't illegal and that's what Cryptic bases it's TOS on - the actual law in the U.S.

You can parody and pay homage to established characters. Cryptic can't legally block parodies or homages. That's why comedians can make spoofs of popular movies. Or how some various fan created homage videos can be made. There's nothing wrong with homages... even if you don't particualarlly like them. Most superheroes are actually homages to the Greek Gods (especially DC). Anime is filled with homages to Japanese mythology. And Marvel comics Thor is a straight nod to the Norse pantheon.

Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • Options
    Eh, if you copy an existing character's look and just change the hair color, that is a clone. Sorry, but it is. Samsung couldn't copy an i-phone look and just change the color of the phone and call it original, and that's more substantial relative to the whole than a character's hair color.

If a knowledgeable (about the source material) observer goes 'that looks pretty much exactly like character X', it's almost certainly a clone. Homages make substantial changes while retaining elements inspired by the character they're homaging.

To use some existing characters:
    Gladiator (Marvel) is a homage of Superman.
    Quicksilver is a Flash homage
    Squadron Supreme (Marvel) is a Justice League homage.
    Deadpool is a Deathstroke homage

Note that there's substantial visual differences between the homages and the inspiring characters (because you can bet lawsuits would have otherwise resulted). That's a small sample, and all on the Marvel side because I'm more familiar with Marvel, but generally homages take particular elements of the inspiring toon (possibly from looks, powers, background, etc...) and then mix in a large dose of different material so the character isn't too similar. Especially visually.

That said, certain things simply can't be trademarked, and thus 'clones' of them aren't illegal. If you made a Men in Black clone, there's nothing distinctive about a black suit and shades, so there's no legal problems there. But the moment the visual aspects of the original become distinctive, then you have a legal problem, and in CO's case, then cryptic has a legal problem.

re: Deviant Art - most deviant art works are fan images that get covered by fair use in the US. (In many European countries, those deviant art images may well be trademark violations - because they don't have the US's concept of fair use). But Cryptic is a business that profits off selling us (among other things) a versatile character creator. Cryptic's profiting off the trademarked materials of other companies would be illegal if they aided and abetted it.
  • Options
    On the issue with homages... the issue comes from the fact that there is a fine line between homage and clone... refering back to the ichigo example... different name, different hair color, but in all other aspects IS ichigo is STILL a clone... Similarly, there has been one clone I've seen roaming around lately that is on the border between homage and clone, but is still a clone... a metal Hulk... looks like hulk, acts like hulk, only made of metal plates... as far as any legal interpretation would go though it IS still the Hulk...

A homage would share many aspects and inspiration from the original, but does NOT copy it's likeness... many people have a hard time grasping this fact though. A parody however may mimic the likeness to an extent, but parodies have their own set of legal restrictions that you are welcome to research on your own time.
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    To add to what I said about my example of reporting a recent clone seeing now this has become a big issue to some: Yes the toon was named Ichigo, but named Ichigooo to bypass the name so it can be made, like people make other clones like Batmannn or Superrman because the game blocks those who use copyrighted names. Identical? 99% identical besides the change in hair color. Otherwise it was exact same thing. Black robes, white trims and belt, even the white mask to eye color. I asked the person because IT WAS A CLONE, even if one minor thing was changed, it was obvious that it was Ichigo through and through. Did I also mention the bio stated that they were a soul reaper? I guess that doesn't count as a clone when copying the story as well. You might of not seen where they were saying it was a homage, yet to everyone else eyes, it was a clone. They were being a prick about it as well when I was reporting them, that just adds to the fact they didn't care about they made a clone and only were saying it was a homage. To add, it was a player in the New Champions SG, a Blade AT, having the handle #(numbers) meaning the account was made after the recent merges, clearly it was a new player who did not understand about the ToS and making clones, but didn't care that they were in threat of being in trouble. The person clearly was only lying it was a homage. Like I said, the clone was 99% accurate to one change in one color, that is enough to be a break in the ToS.

"Embrace your dreams"

• Options
    edited April 2016
    raighn said:

A homage would share many aspects and inspiration from the original, but does NOT copy it's likeness... many people have a hard time grasping this fact though. A parody however may mimic the likeness to an extent, but parodies have their own set of legal restrictions that you are welcome to research on your own time.

Here is a link to an image of Serpentor, the green and yellow snakeclad fang-helmed and caped leader of Cobra.

And another one

Here is a link to an image of the Supreme Serpent, the green and yellow snakeclad fang-helmed and caped leader of Viper.

You say "would share many aspects and inspiration from the original, but does NOT copy it's likeness", I have to ask, specifically with regard to appearance:

Do Serpentor and the Supreme Serpent resemble each other or not? How do you reconcile the inconsistency between your interpretation of the hard to grasp legal nuances and the example set by Cryptic themselves?

It looks like I won't have to do any research, after all. Basically, if Cryptic did it, it's an homage or a parody. If a user did it, it's almost certainly a clone. Because screw other people.

If someone is not violating the TOS, and hasn't exceeded the standard that Cryptic has set themselves, any attempt to harm that person's experience essentially constitutes harassment, imo. I understand that there are legal issues, perhaps even complex legal issues, but if a person cannot objectively apply criteria evenly to both Cryptic-generated content and user-generated characters, then I question that person's motivation, or competence as it relates to this partcular subject.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    grimvane said:

raighn said:

Here is a link to an image of Serpentor, the green and yellow snakeclad fang-helmed and caped leader of Cobra.

And another one

Here is a link to an image of the Supreme Serpent, the green and yellow snakeclad fang-helmed and caped leader of Viper.

You say "would share many aspects and inspiration from the original, but does NOT copy it's likeness", I have to ask, specifically with regard to appearance:

Do Serpentor and the Supreme Serpent resemble each other or not? How do you reconcile the inconsistency between your interpretation of the hard to grasp legal nuances and the example set by Cryptic themselves?

It looks like I won't have to do any research, after all. Basically, if Cryptic did it, it's an homage or a parody. If a user did it, it's almost certainly a clone. Because screw other people.

If someone is not violating the TOS, and hasn't exceeded the standard that Cryptic has set themselves, any attempt to harm that person's experience essentially constitutes harassment, imo. I understand that there are legal issues, perhaps even complex legal issues, but if a person cannot objectively apply criteria evenly to both Cryptic-generated content and user-generated characters, then I question that person's motivation, or competence as it relates to this partcular subject.
    The fault on Supreme Serpent's resembilance to Serpentor falls on his original designer before Cryptic acquired the Champions IP... which may very well have infact been designed up to 4 years prior to Serpentor ever made an apperance making Serpentor the copy... I don't have access to any of the Champions PnP books to give you an exact original print date for Supreme Serpent, but I can tell you that Serpentor was first printed in 1986 and Champions PnP has been in circulation since 1981. If Supreme Serpent appeared in any of the books from between 1981-1985 then the design was infact part of the Champions IP first. That fact given, both designs have existed for a sufficient amount of time now that any legal action against the other would be a waste of time and money.

Before any attempt to use the Duke Nukem jogger or any of the myriad of Duke Nukem & other Atarii game references within Champions Online, I will remind you that Champions Online (the game) was originaly published under Atarii, those apperances were authorized by their respective license owners. Though that authorization to this day extends ONLY to NPC and quest titles/dialogs. Clones of Duke are still subject to the very same rules violations as clones of any other reognizable IP. Quite frankly, Duke Nukem clones are actually more detrimental to Champions Online than other clones sine they can not only be seen as IP Infringement, but they also can be used as grounds for a breach of contract with Atarii which could very well spell the end of CO entirely.
    Post edited by raighn on
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,393 Arc User
    I don't think Cryptic can sue Hasbro for their character Cobra Commander, I mean the Supreme Serpent and VIPER is older then Cobra and Cobra Commander by about two years, but I'm not sure if any of the art work resembles what Hasbro eventually added to the GJ Joe toy line. They were both clearly ripping of HYDRA though.
  • Options
    guyhumual said:

I don't think Cryptic can sue Hasbro for their character Cobra Commander, I mean the Supreme Serpent and VIPER is older then Cobra and Cobra Commander by about two years, but I'm not sure if any of the art work resembles what Hasbro eventually added to the GJ Joe toy line. They were both clearly ripping of HYDRA though.

Indeed, any lawsuit on the matter would have had to occur back in the 80s or 90s with the original IP owners... at this point (30 years later) the issue is dismissable and as I already said a complete waste of time and money to sue over Supreme Serpent and Serpentor sharing likenesses. However that is not the case with the myriad of player made clones that have been popping up in swarms over the years.
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    raighn said:

guyhumual said:

Indeed, any lawsuit on the matter would have had to occur back in the 80s or 90s with the original IP owners... at this point (30 years later) the issue is dismissable and as I already said a complete waste of time and money to sue over Supreme Serpent and Serpentor sharing likenesses. However that is not the case with the myriad of player made clones that have been popping up in swarms over the years.
    Good points. This is trademark law we're talking about, not copyrights. Trademarks depend on the idea of "vigorous defense". If you don't go after people trying to infringe on your trademark, then you can lose the rights to the trademark after some period of time.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    guyhumual said:

In addition to the long time that's passed, it's not clear there would have been any case in the 1980s.

GI Joe's first toy line came out in 1982, with a comic (by Marvel) cover-dated June of that year as well (Meaning it probably was for sale in March, because reasons). (Note that writer Larry Hama had originally proposed a new Nick Fury comic, so Cobra was intentionally modeled off of Hydra when this became tied to Hasbro's toy line instead - there's no evidence Hama or Marvel was even aware Champions existed).

Champions 1st edition came out in 1981 as a roleplaying game.

Trademark applies to specific domains: Hasbro would have held the trademark for toys, Marvel for comics, and Champions for roleplaying games. These are distinct areas. (Marvel's comic trademarks may have been held in proxy for Hasbro, since it was a licensed property).

Champions would also have been vulnerable to a counter-suit of trademark violation in regards to Hydra if they had attempted to bring suit against GI Joe. Viper is far more similar to Hydra, including *color scheme*, than either is to Cobra.

It's also not clear how much trademarkable material there was relative to Viper in the 1981 edition, or if Viper even existed at all. The current visual look in CO is almost certainly not that old (and almost certainly informed by GI Joe Cobra imagery, and not the other way around).

(It's also not two years. It's probably less than one, and Cobra Commander has no visual similarities to Supreme Serpent anyway).

Serpentor is 1986. (The comic story is cover-dated summer 1986, which means spring sale date. Not sure about the cartoon). We'd need specific Champion's visuals of Supreme Serpent before and after 1986 to know if there was anything problematic, but i'm guessing Champions is the one copying.
  • Options
    raighn said:

Before any attempt to use the Duke Nukem jogger...

The Serpentor/Supreme Serpent dynamic was the basis for my opinion of what did and did not qualify as a clone. If you're saying that it is closer to the exception than the rule I'll take your word for it. Thanks for your patience and clarification. Sorry to anyone I caused offense to, I know I can be a little combative.

• Options
    Lately I've been having this really annoying problem with attempting to report clones... I'm continually plagued with
    [System] [TicketError] Could not connect. Please try again later.
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I'd like to point out another issue with the current method of handling clones... There are a large number of repeat offenders who are abusing the "2 out of 3" criteria as a shield to try and claim that they are not clones despite being blatant copies... many of which reuse costumes that had already been genericized for once before.
    grimvane said:

qawsada said:
    If that is true, then you want the definition of clone to be as accurate and narrow as possible, not broaden it which is counter-productive.

The point where you exceed the criteria established by Cryptic is the point where you cease being heroes defending the game, and become vigilantes motivated by personal reasons, possibly selfish and/or ignorant.
    The definition of clone needs to be well defined yes... but it also has to be broad enough to be properly inforced... according to the current criteria apparently someone who copies a character design to as near perfect as Cryptic's costume editor allows but uses a different name and bio is "not a clone" despite it being completely obvious to anyone who encounters them that they are infact a clone... quite frankly the "2 out of 3" criteria actually adds to the problem... Not only does it give people who knowingly violate the ToS by repeatedly making clones a shield to hide behind, but it also create an added liability that could get Cryptic into even more trouble if another such lawsuit were to take place... by permitting blatant clones who's bios and names differ from the original but in all other aspects are a clone of the original you are effectively committing IP Theft by claiming another's creation as your own.

If someone were to make a character named "Generic Man" and give them either no bio or some random bio and then design them to look exactly like Superman, Hulk, Spiderman, etc... it does not matter that they claimed to be "Generic Man" and that their bio differs from the original, they are a blatant clone of the original and worse, by making their claim to be someone else entirely they have crossed from Trademark Infringement over into IP Theft...
    jniKqKJ.png