test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Active Offense: Hyper Combo

spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
Hyper Combo
Active Offense - standard cooldown

For 4/6/8 seconds, all charge times on powers are reduced by 50%/65%/80% - all numbers are of course subject to play testing and balance concerns.

Advantage: Hunting Hawk - anytime you finish charging a melee attack you automatically lunge to your target if they are within 60 ft.

Basically this is inspired by hyper combos in fighting games, like when Kim Kaphwan flies at you and then unleashes like a billion kicks... though obviously not exactly like that, and also usable by ranged characters.

Comments

• nacito#6758 nacito Posts: 970 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    imagine full haymakering each half second
    o_O
    Post edited by nacito#6758 on
    Just another reptile lover, known in game as @nacito
    4hszgc1knoyo.png

This is a big journey, so far if you're reading this, wish you a good day
  • vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    I would love this. I suspect those charge reduction numbers are too high. But yeah... devs can fiddle with those until they find the sweet spot.
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    My only gripe is it's kind of counter intuitively not that helpful to characters who actually use combos. Like yeah you're going to be letting loose 3 full-charge dragon-kicks per second, but I'd imagine the AO would want to do something with melee combos, considering that repeated charge-attack animations going that fast might look kind of silly.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Well, at those numbers it would be more broken than Ego Surge (Nimble Mind), particularly since it seems that charge speed reduction is real reduction, not an effect with DR.
  • vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    bluhman said:

My only gripe is it's kind of counter intuitively not that helpful to characters who actually use combos. Like yeah you're going to be letting loose 3 full-charge dragon-kicks per second, but I'd imagine the AO would want to do something with melee combos, considering that repeated charge-attack animations going that fast might look kind of silly.

True, a different name might be more appropriate for a charge reduction based AO. Like "Hyper Charge" or some such thing. I also like the idea of and AO that boosts combos though, combos need more love. If they could speed up combo animation speed for the AO's duration, it would be perfect for speedster characters.

You can already tap-spam charged attacks... why would fast-charging them look any sillier? There are a few attacks that change animations when charged up (like Havoc Stomp) but most don't.

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited April 2016

Well, at those numbers it would be more broken than Ego Surge (Nimble Mind), particularly since it seems that charge speed reduction is real reduction, not an effect with DR.

spinnytop said:

- all numbers are of course subject to play testing and balance concerns.

We won't figure out good numbers just by talking about it, these things always require extensive playtesting.
    edited April 2016
    vonqball said:

True, a different name might be more appropriate for a charge reduction based AO. Like "Hyper Charge" or some such thing.

Hyper Charge makes it sound like a lunge.

I don't see anyone thinking it applies only to combos just because it has Combo in the name. That's just a working title anyway, so don't bother criticizing it, it can be thrown out on a whim. Some sort of more "superheroish" name relating to super speed would be much better.
    naciiito said:

imagine full haymakering each half second
    o_O

Yeah, it'd be pretty cool. Part of the balancing factor is that it lasts significantly shorter than other AOs. I'm wondering if it should only increase the duration when you rank it up, and not the charge reduction, since extra duration scales the damage contribution of the AO upwards just because you're able to get out more of those really quick haymakers, or force cascades, or whatever.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    A typical AO is a real dps increase of less than 10%, though most of them are bad so I'd argue that achieving 10% is fair. Thus, if you give it the duration of a normal AO, it would make powers take 9% less time, which at typical charge types vs tap times is something like -13% charge time; if power duration is halved it would probably be around -25% charge time.

Alternately, you could have something like old Imbue: reduces the charge time of your next charged attack by 2s.
    edited April 2016

A typical AO is a real dps increase of less than 10%, though most of them are bad so I'd argue that achieving 10% is fair. Thus, if you give it the duration of a normal AO, it would make powers take 9% less time, which at typical charge types vs tap times is something like -13% charge time; if power duration is halved it would probably be around -25% charge time.

Alternately, you could have something like old Imbue: reduces the charge time of your next charged attack by 2s.

Well, then it's not really a combo anymore is it. The idea here is that you can whip out several big moves in rapid succession.

I wonder if it could be coded so that the bonus rapidly diminishes if you use the same power twice during the duration. For example if you just spam Haymaker repeatedly, you won't really get much out of it - maybe even nothing, the bonus can only apply to a give power once per use of the AO. However if you do a chain of completely different charge attacks, then you get the full bonus. Then the charge bonus could be higher by virtue of the fact that to really use the power well not only do you have to build around it, but it also takes a bit more skill in doing a specific order with no repeats - no monumental feat, but more skill-demanding than any other AO.

For combos, the power could also reduce activation times, so combos and other tap powers would benefit as well - a full combo would count as a single "power use" for purposes of diminishing the bonus, so basically you can use a full 3 hits of any given combo once.

At least, that's a more complicated way to go about it, but definitely more appealing to me.

For the simpler version 13% charge time@18 seconds wouldn't even be worth it to me; 25%@9 seconds is closer, though it wouldn't really engender that 'hyper combo' feeling very much. I might even say reduce the duration to something like 5 seconds so it can have 50% charge time reduction ( all these numbers are rank 3 of the power ).
  • ironman12348ironman12348 Posts: 41 Arc User
    That's a great idea actually.

/signed