test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Comments

• rap9rap9 Posts: 40 Arc User
    Now, if there was a daily Kill Some Stuff quest that awarded a Cosmic Key, that might actually be an Event that ties in... ;)
  • chimerafreekchimerafreek Posts: 383 Arc User
    I feel like "flashback" anything should also include pre-alert items that where never reintroduced.
    Now, if there was a daily Kill Some Stuff quest that awarded a Cosmic Key, that might actually be an Event that ties in... ;)

you just had a week long key sale.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    chaelk said:

you just had a week long key sale.​​

So what? Has nothing to do with my statement.

They're in the business of gambling - give people a taste for 'free' (albeit still taking effort to avoid Altomatic Man raking it in). Once upon a time, they had grab bag events. But even something simple like killing some existing enemy groups or the like would be good in the 'off actual event' periods where they are simply promoting a lockbox or three, like now.
  • kyastralkyastral Posts: 342 Arc User
    Hmm... this "flashback" week would have made more sense if it was tied in with last week's cosmic key sale. More players would have purchased keys and opened more of those older lockboxes, knowing that the timewarp lockbox was on its way out. It's nice to have those older boxes drop, but what is the point of opening them if they keys are not on sale?
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    rap9 wrote: »
    you just had a week long key sale.

They're in the business of gambling - give people a taste for 'free' (albeit still taking effort to avoid Altomatic Man raking it in). Once upon a time, they had grab bag events. But even something simple like killing some existing enemy groups or the like would be good in the 'off actual event' periods where they are simply promoting a lockbox or three, like now.
    yes it has a LOT to do with your statement.

being an altaholic won't help. All you need is one character to farm.
    to give you an idea , what cryptic think of that. The mob farms have all been fixed a few months ago.

the grab bags were to introduce new things,like the FF slot. Before that Grab bags were only in the Zen store at the same price as the keys. They were all very limited time events. One off.
    Now the bags drop for free and you pay for the keys. Going on the Curiosity principle of, people have them, so they think they have to open them or miss out.

People have been asking since they changed to ingame box drops for;
    keys to drop from mobs
    keys to drop in Lairs
    keys to drop from alerts

problem is people spend their time farming for them, on the grounds that, "why pay when i can get them for free."
    They then start with "when's the next free key drop event?"
    read Kyastral's comment​​
    Post edited by chaelk on
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited March 2016
    Farming with one character would be irrelevant with a Daily mission during a special event. So at most someone gets 5-7 keys out of the equation with one character, assuming the grind is doable. If that is too much, the Daily could hand out tokens, with which a certain amount can be traded for a key.

Would also be better if these particular keys were BoP or account-bound so those who'd ordinarily trade them would either use them and discover a new-found addiction or not do the Daily at all. Thus zero real negative effect on the market.

Basically everything you're insinuating wouldn't even happen - if someone would kill themselves grinding out some freebies, they'll also kill themselves after the event is over, grinding out Globals (or Q to trade) to buy more keys (or Zen via Q) from sellers to continue feeding the 'addiction' in whatever intensity they're motivated for. If the devs/marketeers/company didn't want the possibility for people to 'get it for free' (hint, hint, time is Not Free and never will be) they wouldn't have made keys trade-able in the first place. Yes there are shrewd folk who can generate Globals with little effort or have vast stores saved up - they're an overall minority. The experiment in MMOs is old news: where there are grinders there are people who will 'pay for the grind' in trade, equaling net gain for the company.
  • ansemthedarkansemthedark Posts: 663 Arc User
    chaelk said:

rap9 wrote: »

you just had a week long key sale.

yes it has a LOT to do with your statement.

being an altaholic won't help. All you need is one character to farm.

to give you an idea , what cryptic think of that. The mob farms have all been fixed a few months ago.

the grab bags were to introduce new things,like the FF slot. Before that Grab bags were only in the Zen store at the same price as the keys. They were all very limited time events. One off.

Now the bags drop for free and you pay for the keys. Going on the Curiosity principle of, people have them, so they think they have to open them or miss out.

People have been asking since they changed to ingame box drops for;

keys to drop from mobs

keys to drop in Lairs

keys to drop from alerts

problem is people spend their time farming for them, on the grounds that, "why pay when i can get them for free."

They then start with "when's the next free key drop event?"

read Kyastral's comment​​

Simple answer, lazyness and impatience, there exist alot of games where you earn store stuff for free on even the easiest ways like keys from mobs etc. but people will still buy them because most people can't wait.
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    With the Timelost box discontinued, and the best costume sets now available by Collector's box - what's the point of this event?
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User

With the Timelost box discontinued, and the best costume sets now available by Collector's box - what's the point of this event?

More Business no doubt, gotta let arbitrary numbers run the world and the people behind them...
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."