test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Quick Japanese Language Question.

decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
I have an idea for a character I want to call "Blood of the Dragon" in Japanese. Google is giving me "Ryū no chi", but online translators are notoriously...well, stupid. Is that right? Does that work as a name? And is it idiomatically the same as English or no? Meaning the same word for blood in your veins is used for "bloodline" or "descended from"?
'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png

Comments

• Options
    Forgot to mention that I don't know if gender matters, but she is a she. :)

'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    epeleskerepelesker Posts: 307 Arc User
    Saw this post after work and decided to do a little digging on jisho.org for you. While there are terms closer to what you're looking for, they might not roll off the tongue as well as Ryuu-no-Chi does, or be as correct tonally/mechanically.

According to JO, nikushin (肉親) or ketsuen/ ketsuzoku (血縁 / 血族) are closer translations to "blood relative", while chisuji (血筋) is more like "lineage". Typing "blood" as my search term also brought up shinzui (神髄), meaning essence/spirit.

Going further, I ran into ketsumei (血盟), or "blood oath"... shinketsu (心血), "heart's blood"...

I dunno, maybe you can use some of this. Worst come to it, you can simply refer to her name in English as Dragonsblood, and maybe refer to an original Japanese identity off-camera/in biog./etc.
    ----
    Heroic Roleplayer @epelesker | PRIMUS Database Moderator | Brigade Advocate
  • Options
    I'm mostly looking to find out if I named her that, Japanese people would roll their eyes and call me a stupid gaijin. :p

Great info. I may go with Ryu-No-Chisuji, if I've parsed what you've said properly.

Thanks!
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    epeleskerepelesker Posts: 307 Arc User
    No worries. Surprisingly, I used to be hugely into pretty much everything Japanese in an earlier stage of my life, but I actually don't have a Japanese themed character yet-- for mostly the same reason of both wanting to do it "right", and also to avoid those sidelong stares about having such a hero in the first place.

One thing that I ended up forgetting to mention, despite thinking of it first! Is that an acceptable equivalent for dragon in JP is tatsu, though it uses a much different kanji (辰), and refers to the Dragon in the Eastern zodiac.
    ----
    Heroic Roleplayer @epelesker | PRIMUS Database Moderator | Brigade Advocate
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    As the closet thing CO has to a Japanese person these days ( after Jewel gone left use for PSO or summing U_u" ) only my advice is valid.

Kyabetsupantsu is the word you looking for. Or if you looking for the female version of Blood of the Dragon theres Doragon-kikan which translates as Dragon's period :D

Was going to rip Epey a new one but yeah more or less spot on job so I cant -_-"

I'm mostly looking to find out if I named her that, Japanese people would roll their eyes and call me a stupid gaijin. :p

Great info. I may go with Ryu-No-Chisuji, if I've parsed what you've said properly.

Thanks!

As someone born on that stupid bunch of islands I can tell you now there too many weebs in CO for one half breed to hypocritically call a Gaijin ( trust me ive tried). So your safe. I think I am the last one left >_>"
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    I think I'll stick with my "ugly American" version. I don't think she'd appreciate being called Cabbage Pants. :D
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited February 2016

I think I'll stick with my "ugly American" version. I don't think she'd appreciate being called Cabbage Pants. :D

Good life choice.

nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options

'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png