test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

what is IAF,IIF,and OAF ?

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
When i first read the hero system (that was back to Hero 5.0) i encountered these terms : what are there?

IAF: Inobvious accessable Focus
IIF:Inobvious Inaccessable Focus
OAF:Obvious Inaccessabe Focus

it is still present in hero 6.0 rules ? and what has changed ?

Could you give some more examples ? Is Powered Armor one of those ?
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Not sure about new rule set, but the terms refer to how easily an item can be detected and taken off you. Thus a rifle would be OAF. Power armour is usually OIF. However a hidden power suit, worn under a costume, or a disguised one, would be an IIF. An IAF, would be a disguised item easily removable, such as the Penguin's umbrella weapons. All foci can be removed or disabled and thus you got a reduction in the points cost of those powers, with OAF giving the bigeest and an IIF the least, however the bigger the discount, the easier a villain could take it off you or disable it. The exact type was chosen by the player but the GM had ultimate approval.
    edited March 2010
    -Yep, Cervando hit it. After skimming through 6.0 i'll stick with 5 revised me thinks.

The way the focus stuff came up in some of my hero sessions (dependent on the GM) is that a villain or story point would involve the focus. So it would be disabled, taken away, noticed and the villain would come up with a counter for our next battle, etc. An Obvious focus would get a story point/arc devoted partially to it sooner and possibly more frequently than Inobvious. Similar to the rolls for DNPC story points or Rival/Enemy/Whatever they're called now occurrence in a campaign or session.

Good journey

Rattletrap
    edited April 2010
    IAF: Inobvious accessable Focus

While the object is visible there's no obvious connection to the effect it gives, and you could easily take it away from the character with a disarm maneuver or something like that.

Example- The One Ring, Unless you see him put the ring on and put two and two together, you'll never know that wearing it makes Frodo invisible.

IIF:Inobvious Inaccessable Focus

You can't see it, there's no obvious connection to the effect it gives, and you can't easily take it away from the character

Example- A bulletproof vest hidden under your costume, villains might never figure out why you're bullet proof.

OAF:Obvious Inaccessabe Focus

you can see it, it clearly is the source of a power, but you can readily disarm or take it away from the character in combat.

Example- Power Armor, everyone knows why Steel Guy has superpowers.
    edited April 2010
    Keep in mind that a power, even one derived from a device, does not have to be bought with the focus limitation.

If you take the focus limitation you are telling your GM that you expect the character to be deprived of the power on occasion. The frequency of that deprivation is based on how great of a limitation you took. In general the more character points a limitations saves you teh more frequently the limitation will come into play. It is teh GM's job to enforce this.

However, If you buy your powered armor abilities without taking the focus limitation you have defined your armor suit as being inseparable from you. Perhaps you have an implant that allows you to summon the suit to yourself from wherever it is.

My favorite PA character had psionic-creation abilities supported by a Psi-boosting implant that allowed him to psionically create a powered armor suit. The suit ceased to exist if it was removed cut could be recreated with a moment of concentration.

Even if a power is not purchased through a focus, the GM is within his rights to take it away for the sake of a story, with appropriate justification. A classic example would be mutant heroes forced to wear power shackles after being captured by a villain. The GM hopes to run an escape adventure centered around the characters' mundane skills. Perfectly appropriate.
    edited April 2010
    I once had a character with a magic sword, bought as an OIF rather than an OAF. It could be disarmed/grab/knocked away like a normal (OAF) sword but he could summon it to his hand with a 1/2 phase action. All sorts of fun with foci can be had :)