test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Just a few thoughts I figured I'd voice. @devs

glortorglortor Posts: 324 Arc User
edited November 2015 in Missions and Content
I don't mean to step on anybody's toes and I can imagine the majority of people will disagree with this but I wanted to share this as another point of view.

So, I played a lot of MMO and the main reason I gave up on all of them was that feeling of instability.

Instability in gear.
Spent the vast majority of your time getting to max power so that you can effortlessly go and have fun exploring and farming? Watch all your hard-earned gear get invalidated as you get better commons than your epics soon. Makes you wonder why you should even bother.

Instability in builds/powers.
Whenever something feels like it's awesome and working just fine and it's fun to use? Watch it get destroyed.
Whenever something feels like it's underwhelming and weak and you wonder why? It will be your best friend and it will shine when the nerfs hit.
You have spent countless hours working out a build that works, and now you're back to square one.

Bottom line: all that push and shove makes players struggle to get there and then get the finish line snagged away from them in the end.

I finally found CO where there IS endgame but you can attend without having to grind endlessly. I love it.
I've spent all that time and effort getting all my characters to a decent level with Heroic gear.
Still not all of them have it, but a good few of them do.
Now I'm hearing rumours of content that will 1shot tanks. I hope this is not true.
I'd feel pretty much cheated for all my effort yet again.

EDIT: And of course I can see the counter-arguments here, too.
All the people who have "nothing to do" and are yearning for more levels and more items and more more more.

But in my opinion that's all for naught. There is not enough MORE content in the WORLD that'll please people like that.
CO is all about customisation. Instead of moar higher gear, a map editor the players can use would extend the game by about a decade.
I'm thinking personal instances that you can save, maybe even locally, and load from the guild library (so that it only runs when you and/or your friends are on) a lot like costumes work I imagine. Could make them public, could make them passworded. Would be amazing.

Comments

• Options
    riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    I highly doubt the release of new content means you're suddenly going to be forced out of the old content you like.

This is just about the easiest MMO there is. It doesn't get any easier. You can feel powerful by level 20. However, it's also led to a very bored player base. Every challenge can be soloed. You even have players with builds that literally cannot be defeated by any PVE challenge in the game.

If we do get harder content it's going to be for those people who've gone as far as they can.. and want a higher level of challenge. You don't have to do that content IF it's released. You can ignore it and continue to run the same content you've been doing.

Like Rampages.. I hardly ever do them these days. And I don't really need to. My Heroic gear is fine and it handles all the old challenges just fine. I don't see that changing.​​
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • Options

I highly doubt the release of new content means you're suddenly going to be forced out of the old content you like.

This is just about the easiest MMO there is. It doesn't get any easier. You can feel powerful by level 20. However, it's also led to a very bored player base. Every challenge can be soloed. You even have players with builds that literally cannot be defeated by any PVE challenge in the game.

If we do get harder content it's going to be for those people who've gone as far as they can.. and want a higher level of challenge. You don't have to do that content IF it's released. You can ignore it and continue to run the same content you've been doing.

Like Rampages.. I hardly ever do them these days. And I don't really need to. My Heroic gear is fine and it handles all the old challenges just fine. I don't see that changing.​​

Yes, thanks for chiming in.
    I understand that point of view, as you can see from the second part of my post.
    What I mean is why cater to the least interested group with the least interesting content when there is so much left to customise?

Imagine creating your own instance of millennium city, where you can set up an invasion by VIPER to defeat for your own supergroup, for example!
    Or editing your own penthouse, linked to your own secret lab, linked to your own cave beneath it all - all of it set up with your own furniture.
  • Options
    xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    gradii said:

I do rampages in heroic gear. its more about your build than gear.

Content which "one shots tanks" misses the point of difficult content. sheer damage does not make the difficulty. DESIGN creates difficulty. Damage is merely a small piece of the picture.

^
    Agreed. F&I is..50/50, so that's good :D
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    gradii said:

Content which "one shots tanks" misses the point of difficult content. sheer damage does not make the difficulty.

Incorrect. Damage adjusts how many mistakes you can make and still succeed, and 'can you do X without making a mistake' is a very common form of difficulty. It's not a creative form of difficulty, but it's still difficulty.
  • Options

gradii said:

Content which "one shots tanks" misses the point of difficult content. sheer damage does not make the difficulty.

Incorrect. Damage adjusts how many mistakes you can make and still succeed, and 'can you do X without making a mistake' is a very common form of difficulty. It's not a creative form of difficulty, but it's still difficulty.
    A creative form of difficulty will make a more long lasting impression, imo, than just a cop-out of damage. I mean, look at any other MMO's difficulties, they usually add something to the enemy(a twist, if you will) to give a bit of a jump to the player and make them want to do more than press 1234 over and over :P
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User

A creative form of difficulty will make a more long lasting impression, imo, than just a cop-out of damage.

There's already existing sophisticated mechanics that wind up being ignored because, well, we can just overpower them.
  • Options
    gradii said:

A creative form of difficulty will make a more long lasting impression, imo, than just a cop-out of damage.

There's already existing sophisticated mechanics that wind up being ignored because, well, we can just overpower them.
    Actually as someone who's played before on alert I can tell you I never noticed most of those back then either.
    And, if they can be overpowered, then they need an overhaul, or someone needs to redefine sophisticated mechanics to the dev team.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • Options
    My point, nevertheless, is that this mmo is about customisation and being able to solo content.
    If they weaken us to the level of WoW-fodder, we might as well be playing something that does the whole, yknow, targeting nearest thing better ;D