test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Device & Power Changes FC.31.20151210A.14

Comments

• pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Honestly, the form toggles are second passives and should be understood as such. They also pretty well broke the game, but that's water under the bridge at this point.
  • xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User

Honestly, the form toggles are second passives and should be understood as such. They also pretty well broke the game, but that's water under the bridge at this point.

^
    Very much so.
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    quasimojo1 wrote: »
    Good thing they've apparently forgotten about Mental Discipline, which really is essentially a "second passive" (unlike Manipulator), and I guess that breaks the game somehow? Not that I really see either one used a whole lot, nor do they seem especially out of balance on the occasions I do see them.

It's a thinly veiled attempt to reign in Crowd Control. Note that Psionic Accelerator also had it target cap reduced. My guess is they are trying to prevent Crowd Control builds from being too good against the ADD's in Telios Ascendant. The whole "basically a second passive" argument is just being used - so as not to draw too much player attention to it. In theory, a strong CC build should be very helpful in fights like GROND. (I wish I could test this theory out - but until a new job rolls around subbing isn't in my financial future right now).

On one hand - hooray CC is finally useful for something! On the other hand - uhoh I hope CC doesn't get nerfed more.​​
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,089 Cryptic Developer
    Target caps being reduced on various devices/powers was due to a number of reasons:

1) Power balance. Vast majority of player powers are capped at 5 targets, devices should be no different. Seeing as most of these were copied from boss attacks, it was likely an oversight the target caps were not changed.

2) Performance. Most powers play an fx when hitting a target, and each individual player being able to trigger that fx up to 10 times does terrible things for performance and eats up the total amount of fx draw calls that can exist at a given point in time. It's okay when the power cannot be commonly used (like Ultimates) but devices like Ice Grenades and Psionic Accelerator have very short cooldowns which lead to performance issues.​​
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    I think with the changes to Gravitar, the reason for adding a LOS to the auras is now gone, it's far better to have the healer in the room so that they can be more than an aura buff for the tanks. And like DZ already posted, the LOS stuff makes auras very unreliable on maps with some fluff objects.

Also I can imagine checking LOS on a lot of auras ever few seconds could cause performance issues.
    Post edited by aiqa on
  • squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User

It's a thinly veiled attempt to reign in Crowd Control.

1. Not at all veiled.
    2. "Reign in" implies it was out of control. Given the dearth of people who actively used CC, it wasn't. "Nerf into the ground" would be more accurate. For something which was already *in the ground*, its pretty excessive.

• gradii said:

It's a thinly veiled attempt to reign in Crowd Control.

1. Not at all veiled.
    2. "Reign in" implies it was out of control. Given the dearth of people who actively used CC, it wasn't. "Nerf into the ground" would be more accurate. For something which was already *in the ground*, its pretty excessive.

Crowd control has been sad in CO as long as I can remember and I've been playing for 5 years.
    Maintained holds were good at some point.

Maintained holds were good at some point.

Not in PvE. There have been multiple time periods where holds were nasty in PvP, but in PvE holds have mostly been terrible (there was a period where I was teleporting into a group of mobs, dropping mental storm with malevolent manifestation, dropping collective will, and watching everything die, but even then it wasn't really better than just attacking normally).
  • falchoinfalchoin Posts: 383 Arc User
    Kinda funny that I've been more or less gone for... at least a couple years, I don't remember... and my support character Kali's build functionality hasn't changed. The Manipulator stack duration drop to 20 seconds sucks, but since stacks still build regardless of whether Thunderclap hits a target it doesn't affect me all that much. I can definitely see people having problems if they use other CC abilities that require a target though, especially if there's a charge time attached.

I can confirm Neuroelectric Pulse scales with REC. 130 REC gave 8 energy per second. 207 REC gave 10 energy per second. I tested END, CON, PRE and it made no difference in the energy gain.

Now my personal preference would be to have the energy gain scale off PRE to make it more accessible to support characters. But I could also see making it scale with END instead to open up electric builds as team energy batteries for more support build diversity.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • carrionbaggagecarrionbaggage Posts: 721 Community Moderator
    BUG: The entity summoned by Neuroelectric Pulse does not obey color tinting.
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    There's no point to putting a time limit on the Triumphant recovery 4 pack or the Teleport to Ren center devices that players get from the supply kits. It's not going to encourage players to buy the ones from the Z-Store.
  • edited January 2016
    Last suggestion:

Remove *Unique* tag from new devices. This tag serves no real purpose except for making the game more annoying to play by forcing players run back and forth between recognition shops after each duel/pve instance.

If somebody has required tokens to buy as many devices as he wants, then he should be able to do so in my opinion.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    draogn said:

There's no point to putting a time limit on the Triumphant recovery 4 pack or the Teleport to Ren center devices that players get from the supply kits. It's not going to encourage players to buy the ones from the Z-Store.

Wait, what? Like a "once time is up the item disappears" time limit? Or a cooldown timer?

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.

draogn said:

Wait, what? Like a "once time is up the item disappears" time limit? Or a cooldown timer?
    They have a real world time limit. I only noticed a message stating one had been used/expired. I quickly created a new character and both devices have 169hr/169hr listed in the tooltip. (and they had begun to countdown)
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    draogn said:

draogn said:

They have a real world time limit. I only noticed a message stating one had been used/expired. I quickly created a new character and both devices have 169hr/169hr listed in the tooltip. (and they had begun to countdown)
    Is it retroactive to existing ones?
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    edited January 2016

draogn said:

draogn said:

Is it retroactive to existing ones?
    I haven't tested that yet. But I'll find out.

Edit: After copying a new character it doesn't appear to be retroactive, thankfully.
  • falchoinfalchoin Posts: 383 Arc User
    gradii said:

The scaling should be increased somewhat and maybe it should scale off the higher of the PRE or END stat?

I like that idea. More support build options than just PRE if someone wants to make an energy battery that can dps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Rewarding players for reaching certain milestones with something that expires (not only that but uses real time) is a terrible idea.
    draogn said:

Rewarding players for reaching certain milestones with something that expires (not only that but uses real time) is a terrible idea.

They were always supposed to be teasers (look how cool this is, you should buy more), and for that purpose you want people to use them up.
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User

draogn said:

They were always supposed to be teasers (look how cool this is, you should buy more), and for that purpose you want people to use them up.
    Triumphant recoveries already had charges.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

draogn said:

Perhaps, though giving a reward that expires is only going to irritate players. Especially when they are use to getting permanent devices that they can use whenever.
  • ladylunamoonladylunamoon Posts: 10 Arc User
    I couldn't find where it said about the tp to ren center thing but here's my thoughts on it. The TP to Ren Center we get at 25 shouldn't expire, its a bad idea to make it do so after all this time. If you still want to sell them for whatever reason (think getting rid of it and offering something else would be better) then how about making the store ones with no cool down and the ones we get at 25 have like a 10 or 15min cool down? Heck I even, sadly, agree to 30mins. I always thought the free tp was a really nice thing as other mmos offer tps to main areas already. I think now after all this time to suddenly make it expire will feel like such a money grubby move and I like to believe the game hasn't turned into a cash grab yet...
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    I don't think the Cryptic ones do, though. I seem to have spent an inordinate amount of time on an interstellar Tea Break in STO, waiting for the ship to warp to some far flung corner of the galaxy.....
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    draogn said:

draogn said:

Perhaps, though giving a reward that expires is only going to irritate players. Especially when they are use to getting permanent devices that they can use whenever.
    You can't really use "this might irritate players" as a benchmark for not doing something when people are constantly getting wildly irritated by every little thing. I feel like people use this veiled threat all too often nowadays, given that it's being said in the context of a video game. "Oh, you better not consider doing that, otherwise people might get upset, and you know what happens when people get upset..." ...they complain for a bit and then they get over it ( or they don't get over it and they complain for quite a while until everyone else is tired of hearing it ).

These items were meant to be temporary, meaning we've made out like bandits by getting to use one item hundreds, or even thousands of times. I don't find much there to complain about. Just because one day your phone company realizes they've accidentally been giving you free service for a year doesn't mean they're obligated to continue doing so, and you'd also look a right bit misguided for getting upset that you're no longer getting something for free that you weren't supposed to.

Hell for all we know this is a bug and people are getting "upset" over nothing. Has there even been official word over this or is this just the usual "grab the torches and pitchforks, we think something might be happening!" behavior?
    spinnytop said:

These items were meant to be temporary, meaning we've made out like bandits by getting to use one item hundreds, or even thousands of times. I don't find much there to complain about. Just because one day your phone company realizes they've accidentally been giving you free service for a year doesn't mean they're obligated to continue doing so, and you'd also look a right bit misguided for getting upset that you're no longer getting something for free that you weren't supposed to.

Hell for all we know this is a bug and people are getting "upset" over nothing. Has there even been official word over this or is this just the usual "grab the torches and pitchforks, we think something might be happening!" behavior?

Except, Spinny, that wasn't exactly the case here. For the Teleport to RenCen devices, it was

1. Glitched item was supposed to have charges, but was unlimited
    2. Item issues eventually noted by Devs
    3. Item replaced with actual, permanent item after a patch.

We were intentionally given permanent teleport items.

Now, going forward, if new ones are temporary, so be it. On the other hand, if ones currently held by toons change to temporary, that would be very irritating, and needlessly so.

I also wonder if my old legacy/mission items will update to the newer version, or remain the same.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User
    I'm starting to wonder why they bother to elicit feedback. It doesn't seem to have actually changed anything. If you're just going to make the change anyway and not listen to what we have to say, might as well tell us that.

spinnytop said:

Except, Spinny, that wasn't exactly the case here. For the Teleport to RenCen devices, it was

Now, going forward, if new ones are temporary, so be it. On the other hand, if ones currently held by toons change to temporary, that would be very irritating, and needlessly so.

I also wonder if my old legacy/mission items will update to the newer version, or remain the same.
    See, this makes me less inclined to get the pitchforks and torches, and more inclined to think this is some sort of bug. No official word on it, and a rather odd time limit that works out to 7.04 days. Before we start talking about how irritating this is going to be in the future, we should probably wait until it's confirmed that it will even exist in said future.

I'm starting to wonder why they bother to elicit feedback. It doesn't seem to have actually changed anything. If you're just going to make the change anyway and not listen to what we have to say, might as well tell us that.

I'm amazed the devs talk on the forums at all the way people here just freak out and start spewing threats and hyperbole at the slightest sign of change.
    spinnytop said:

spinnytop said:

See, this makes me less inclined to get the pitchforks and torches, and more inclined to think this is some sort of bug. No official word on it, and a rather odd time limit that works out to 7.04 days. Before we start talking about how irritating this is going to be in the future, we should probably wait until it's confirmed that it will even exist in said future.

I'm amazed the devs talk on the forums at all the way people here just freak out and start spewing threats and hyperbole at the slightest sign of change.
    A bug that changed the names for these devices in the supply kit? That's unlikely, and it wouldn't be the first time they tried to sneak a change in.
    spinnytop said:

draogn said:

A bug ? That's unlikely.

Said no one about CO ever. :smiley:
    Neither did I, you should try quoting the entire post rather then cherry picking four words of it so you can twist the meaning.
    edited January 2016
    Cherry Twist!

draogn said:

spinnytop said:

draogn said:

A bug ? That's unlikely.

Said no one about CO ever. :smiley:
    Neither did I, you should try quoting the entire post rather then cherry picking four words of it so you can twist the meaning.
    But I specifically wanted to cherry pick four words and arrange them, because it more accurately conveyed the meaning of the response I was going to give which was a humorous remark on the idea that by this point people shouldn't really be surprised by any bug no matter how elaborate, so why would I not do that?
    spinnytop said:

spinnytop said:

#3 makes me inclined to believe that if a device is "taking off" with the player base, it'll be turned from temp to perm. At least, that what I think has been the case. Not like RenCen teleport is breaking the game and providing unlimited lvlz. I don't know of other devices that do this from unity mishs or what have you, but with these price hikes, I think the more worthwhile devices should be kept permanent as to warrant their horrid price.
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • edited January 2016
    Oh, so you fix Crybaby Grenades and then add such device for everyone to use... Pretty nice, hahah. And yeah, I'm speaking about Magicians Dust.

Another fun thing is a Bear Spear device from Silver Store, because it has no shared cooldown, making it a 3k tap+bleed power. So, if bought many times and stacked in inventory, it can be spammed nonstop, leading to best dps in whole game with Reapers Embrace to rupture bleeds...
    This needs fixing unless you guys think that the most amazing, ultimate super power is throwing a simple wooden pole.

Suggestion: Make rank 9 +10% dmg per powerset mods add an ACTUAL 10% dmg, without being affected by deminishing returns. It gives people a motivation to actually spend time in game and actually farm them for that +20% dmg. Otherwise... Yeah, they are worthless.
    Post edited by shiningdarkness#2717 on
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Skarn's Bane Suggestion:

I'm not sure if it's too late for this, but after checking out Skarn's on test I have this suggestion. Why not just copy the same debuffs on Skarn's that occur with the "Finite Improbability Engine" on Pulse Beam Rifle? They are varied enough and would actually seem "magical". I know people hate "teddification" :smile: . But Skarns having a chance to perform a transmogrification of some kind, makes a lot more sense in the sorcery (i.e magic) set.​​
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • bringmeaslabbringmeaslab Posts: 187 Arc User

Skarn's Bane Suggestion:

I'm not sure if it's too late for this, but after checking out Skarn's on test I have this suggestion. Why not just copy the same debuffs on Skarn's that occur with the "Finite Improbability Engine" on Pulse Beam Rifle? They are varied enough and would actually seem "magical". I know people hate "teddification" :smile: . But Skarns having a chance to perform a transmogrification of some kind, makes a lot more sense in the sorcery (i.e magic) set.​​

I beg and implore the developers to never, ever do this.
  • xrazamaxxrazamax Posts: 979 Arc User

Suggestion: Make rank 9 +10% dmg per powerset mods add an ACTUAL 10% dmg, without being affected by deminishing returns. It gives people a motivation to actually spend time in game and actually farm them for that +20% dmg. Otherwise... Yeah, they are worthless.

20%? That would be much too large of an increase, even if you are talking about two mods working together.
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited February 2016

Skarn's Bane Suggestion:

Hmm, I'd keep teddification to Experimental Blaster only.

Although, turning an enemy into something like...a goat or a chair would be more unique for a magical power.

Perhaps it should be a new ability altogether:

"Transformation Hex" - New Sorcery ability. Transformation Hex has a 75% chance to turn an enemy into an object or animal. But also has a 25% chance to turn your enemy into a Qliphothic Horror of equivalent rank. (Works on Henchmen to Master Villain.) Deals Magic Damage to target (approx equal to a Rank 1 Eldritch Blast at your level) and applies "Transformed!" to an opponent for 20 seconds (does not scale with Manipulator or CC bonuses). Other Champions have a higher chance of being turned into a Qliphothic Horror (45% chance to be transformed into an object or animal, 55% chance to be turned into a Qlipothic Horror of Super Villain Rank). Higher rank targets are not affected by "Transformed!" and instead receive a 20% damage reduction for 20 seconds. This ability cannot crit. Cooldown 35 seconds base.

^ Idea.
    Post edited by theravenforce on
  • christy300christy300 Posts: 35 Arc User
    big mistakes is that ascension why they didn't removed the damage part instead of the healing one ascension was great to heal a big group in rampage now cryptic ruined everything....

big mistakes is that ascension why they didn't removed the damage part instead of the healing one ascension was great to heal a big group in rampage now cryptic ruined everything....

I guess in it's place more people will be using Iniquity + Justice advantage? Or use Ascension + Judgement advantage and Illumination?

I'm not a fan of the change myself but...it doesn't look like it's up for discussion.

I guess in it's place more people will be using Iniquity + Justice advantage? Or use Ascension + Judgement advantage and Illumination?

I'm not a fan of the change myself but...it doesn't look like it's up for discussion.
    Hmm..I believe only one of my toons will be able to keep the new ascension, as it has illumination in it's build. Only 1.

42 40s, LTSer.

Hmm..I believe only one of my toons will be able to keep the new ascension, as it has illumination in it's build. Only 1.
    Yeah, I *may* be in the same boat, provided I change around a few things on my healer. Only three characters on my account use Ascension, but only two actually really benefit from it and the burst heal it provided.

I just really hope the Development Team (or whoever is in charge of handing out retcon tokens) doesn't try to play the Intelligence/CDR card and only give us one retcon token for our entire account.

They need to hand out retcon tokens for each and every toon as a wide range of things are being nerfed/adjusted.

Yeah, I *may* be in the same boat, provided I change around a few things on my healer. Only three characters on my account use Ascension, but only two actually really benefit from it and the burst heal it provided.

I just really hope the Development Team (or whoever is in charge of handing out retcon tokens) doesn't try to play the Intelligence/CDR card and only give us one retcon token for our entire account.

They need to hand out retcon tokens for each and every toon as a wide range of things are being nerfed/adjusted.
    So glad they're handing out the tokens..very nice of them :), and same, raven. Only toons that had it are my 3 healers, of which, I only play 1 with illumination :/. And, even then, didn't they adjust the healing numbers/bonuses provided by ascension(reduced)?,

42 40s, LTSer.