test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Suggestion] Block Ability.

theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
I was just discussing this with a friend and we both sort of came up with a suggestion:

Much like travel powers, block enhancers should NOT count towards the 14 (FF) or 12 (AT) power points we have access to. So everyone would have to take a block enhancer but would choose whether to rank it up or not. You would automatically gain a block enhancer power on creation of your character.

What would this mean for AT's?

AT's would have an extra power point in their builds which could be dedicated to a much needed ability (in a case by case review), for example, DPS AT's could gain a healing ability. Support AT's could gain an extra damaging ability and so on.

What would this mean for FF's?

Greater resistance vs basic block when blocking if you do not usually use a block enhancer on your builds. As all your builds will now come with a block enhancer of your choosing.

Basically instead of the current:

2 Travel Power Points - FF
14 Power Points - FF

&

2 Travel Power Points - AT
12 Power Points - AT

We would have:

2 Travel Power Points - FF
1 Block Enhancer Point - FF
14 Power Points - FF

&

2 Travel Power Points - AT
1 Block Enhancer Point - AT
12 Power Points - AT

Thoughts?

Comments

• nacito#6758 nacito Posts: 969 Arc User
    and with auras?
    Just another reptile lover, known in game as @nacito
    4hszgc1knoyo.png

This is a big journey, so far if you're reading this, wish you a good day
    you know what will be better? make 14 powers mandatory plus an aura and a block power ,but that would never happen, might happen if they put a cap of lvl 50? (hahaha what a joke)
    4hszgc1knoyo.png

• ngeluzngeluz Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Agreed with all of the above... energy unlocks, Aura Passive, Energy Passive, blocks and travel power should NOT use up our points... Or at the very least by choosing does You get a free Power or advantage point power like Night Avenger passive give us... that way it made more sense and would fill out does empty spaces we never seem to fill up in our power tray... even a system when you max level to extra advantage points and extra power points like a mastery system would be welcome... at the very least it would give us Max lv Champions something to aspire too...
    everyone can dream...
    4hszgc1knoyo.png

• rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    What about Energy Builder Ranks? that shouldn't use points either, maybe auto level Rank 2 at lvl 20 and Rank 3 at 30/40?
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
    too many suggestions :fearful:
    4hszgc1knoyo.png

• raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    Considering that I had made this very same suggestion over a year ago... I agree...

Though I really do have to wonder... why is it that when I made this suggestion I got met with nothing but hate and was shot down completly but now when Ravenforce makes the same suggestion (and the first few responses make the rest of my old suggestion) it's all support...
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Eh, I'd rather have the option to not take a block replacer, and use that power point for something more useful if I think something else is better.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Just give everyone 1 extra power? Players are powerful enough already though... if a player would find value in having a block replacer, they can grab one now.

If anything, we could start a "Tip of the day" thing, where every time players log in a tip pops up, and one of them could admonish the virtues of blocking and block replacers.

The option to take a block replacer already exists, and it's not as if people are hurting for power points and scratching their heads on how they're ever going to fit a block replacer into their builds.
    spinnytop said:

The option to take a block replacer already exists, and it's not as if people are hurting for power points and scratching their heads on how they're ever going to fit a block replacer into their builds.

I beg to differ... I've found myself many times stuck choosing between a block replacer or another power equally valuable to my build.. I've got a few builds that are currently running without a block replacer even though I really would like one on them and they really would benefit from the addition... And I know there are many more who face this dilemma as well...
    jniKqKJ.png
    raighn said:

spinnytop said:

I beg to differ... I've found myself many times stuck choosing between a block replacer or another power equally valuable to my build.. I've got a few builds that are currently running without a block replacer even though I really would like one on them and they really would benefit from the addition... And I know there are many more who face this dilemma as well...
    And you made a conscious choice that that other power you picked was more valuable than a block replacer. If a block replacer was so valuable that you would think it would be worth it to drastically alter the power level of all players and shift the game balance for it, then you would have chosen the block replacer and not the other power. By your own admission, a block replacer was not vital enough for you to be taking it on every single character, hence, it is not so vital that every single character needs it given to them.
    spinnytop said:

Just give everyone 1 extra power?

Nah, just leave things the way they are. It's far more likely that cryptic would go '-1 general power slot, +1 block power slot' than they'd just go '+1 block power slot'.
  • holloweaverholloweaver Posts: 582 Arc User

spinnytop said:

Nah, just leave things the way they are. It's far more likely that cryptic would go '-1 general power slot, +1 block power slot' than they'd just go '+1 block power slot'.
    I laughed because that sounds definitely closer to how it might happened. :smile:
    Well I think it would be more like -2 general power slots, +1 block power, which is usually the way devs are "balancing" things.
    actually I flipped a coin... not a conscious decision at all
    jniKqKJ.png
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    naciiito said:

Ikr? lol
    raighn said:

Considering that I had made this very same suggestion over a year ago... I agree...

Though I really do have to wonder... why is it that when I made this suggestion I got met with nothing but hate and was shot down completly but now when Ravenforce makes the same suggestion (and the first few responses make the rest of my old suggestion) it's all support...

It's because I'm a scary b*tch. That's why. :angry:

loljks!

Sometimes people don't really read suggestions and get mad for no reason and spew hate.

It's definitely got nothing to do with the fact that it's me vs you making this suggestion.

At best it would be timing? I'm not sure.

Either way...

spinnytop said:

I laughed because that sounds definitely closer to how it might happened. :smile:
    Well I think it would be more like -2 general power slots, +1 block power, which is usually the way devs are "balancing" things.
    ^ That made me laugh :lol:
  • xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User

naciiito said:

Ikr? lol
    raighn said:

It's because I'm a scary b*tch. That's why. :angry:

loljks!

Sometimes people don't really read suggestions and get mad for no reason and spew hate.

It's definitely got nothing to do with the fact that it's me vs you making this suggestion.

At best it would be timing? I'm not sure.

Either way...

spinnytop said:

^ That made me laugh :lol:
    Yep. Don't forget about those posters would swear that it's a good thing for balance, and their personal favorite word that they know nothing about: Build diversity:)
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    I already have a hard time filling in the 14 powers with stuff I want. Not really something I care to see.

The issue with ATs are they generally aren't well built. Having a new power slot isn't going to change that.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009

Yep. Don't forget about those posters would swear that it's a good thing for balance, and their personal favorite word that they know nothing about: Build diversity:)

^

It probably was just timing... considering that the dev team had shifted to other projects around the time I made the suggestion... so any suggestion requiring anything more than minimal effort was likely to be assaulted... and your totally scarier than me ;)

Still in full support, despite any naysayers *glares at Spinny*
    jniKqKJ.png
    edited January 2016
    raighn said:

Still in full support, despite any naysayers *glares at Spinny*

Glare all you like, I still think this isn't necessary, and all the players who chose not to pick a block replacer are basically proof that there's some validity to that.
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    You're already given a block. A better block should be another power. I'm against.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    Using the same logic you tried to use to claim that I had "made a conscious choice" that the block wasn't important to my build... that same logic would also lead to "blocks enhancers are inferior to other powers" thus giving everyone one at no cost to their power choices would have no major impact on the game so there's no harm in adding it.

The problem I have with negative responses to suggestions like this is exactly this. If you can't give a reason as to why it shouldn't happen other than "it isn't necessary" or "it won't change anything" then there is no reason why it shouldn't be done. I don't see the point in saying no to something that has no negative impact or is purely optional.

Will giving everyone a block power slot lead to power creep? Doubtful
    Will giving everyone a block power slot break the game? nope
    Will giving everyone a block power slot make everything too easy? nope
    Will giving everyone a block power slot do anything harmful at all? NOPE

Why not add it?
    jniKqKJ.png
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    Because you don't "fix" things that aren't broken, and that's where the disagreement lies.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    The not fixing things that arn't broken argument only really applies when the "fix" will make an actual impact on the game and leaving it as is causes no harm.

In this case you risk nothing by making the change... there is no valid argument against a zero risk endeavor...

Lets look at this from a different angle. Would you say no to adding the ability to display your SG rank under your name. Something that has no real impact on the game but merely gives you more options? Of course not.

and I have a major feeling of Deja`vu now...
    jniKqKJ.png
    "Would you say no to adding the ability to display your SG rank under your name."

Yeah, I would. I could even list reasons why it would be a bad idea.

OP asked for thoughts. Disagreeing is a thought. There is no compelling reason to add another power to player builds. A reason why this should be a thing wasn't even given. The results if it was a thing, yes, but no reason why it should be done in the first place. I don't see it adding to build diversity. Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build.
    raighn said:

Using the same logic you tried to use to claim that I had "made a conscious choice" that the block wasn't important to my build...

If you didn't spend a power pick on a block replacer, obviously you didn't care enough.

raighn said:

Using the same logic you tried to use to claim that I had "made a conscious choice" that the block wasn't important to my build...

If you didn't spend a power pick on a block replacer, obviously you didn't care enough.
    If you read my earlier post... I flipped a coin because I couldn't decide between it or another power.
    jniKqKJ.png
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    *flips a coin* ............F*ck this suggestion, it sucks!!!

Wait, I read the coin toss wrong..........I love this suggestion, best suggestion evah!!!
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    edited January 2016
    raighn said:

Using the same logic you tried to use to claim that I had "made a conscious choice" that the block wasn't important to my build... that same logic would also lead to "blocks enhancers are inferior to other powers" thus giving everyone one at no cost to their power choices would have no major impact on the game so there's no harm in adding it.

^ this statement is countered by:
    raighn said:

I flipped a coin because I couldn't decide between it or another power.

See, you've covered both sides of the argument here.

1. Block replacers are good enough that you had to make a tough decision between taking one, or another power that you also considered valuable.
    2. Block replacers are not critical, that's why it was a decision in the first place, and why you ended up going with the other power.

Block replacers are great, but they are not critical.

Simply put, if a power is critical then it's something that everyone takes. For example, you rarely see anyone without a passive ( though passives are really only absolutely critical for tanks ), or a form. These would more likely be considered critical powers. However, as someone pointed out it would be much more likely for them to reserve certain points so they can only be spent on certain types of powers because this would be the only solution that doesn't push power creep any further. The only solution here that doesn't cause more problems, also happens to be the one that restricts build diversity, so I'm in favor of "Don't fix what isn't broken" in this case.
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
    raighn said:

The problem I have with negative responses to suggestions like this is exactly this. If you can't give a reason as to why it shouldn't happen other than "it isn't necessary" or "it won't change anything" then there is no reason why it shouldn't be done. I don't see the point in saying no to something that has no negative impact or is purely optional.

Why not add it?

Because it helps, that's why.

42 40s, LTSer.
    edited January 2016

raighn said:

Why not add it?

But it's unneeded, so that's why not.

If you're having so much trouble completing game content that you feel like everyone who doesn't support huge buffs to players across the board has "their head in the sand", then I suggest you reach out for some help from the players who keep saying the game is really easy, they're generally very happy to help you figure out what you're doing wrong ( and the cool thing is, the answer for what you're doing wrong is never "playing a theme build" ).
    edited January 2016
    spinnytop said:

raighn said:

Why not add it?

If you're having so much trouble completing game content that you feel like everyone who doesn't support huge buffs to players across the board has "their head in the sand", then I suggest you reach out for some help from the players who keep saying the game is really easy, they're generally very happy to help you figure out what you're doing wrong ( and the cool thing is, the answer for what you're doing wrong is never "playing a theme build" ).
    I sure will when my 26 40's(a lot of them don't have block enhancers, but boy could they use 'em for that extra bit o' survival! :)) start needing it! :). Un-needed for vets like ourselfs, good ol' spinny :), I still stand by this suggestion, despite spinny doing nothing but providing his usual childish dribble.
    Post edited by xcelsior41 on

42 40s, LTSer.

spinnytop said:

raighn said:

Why not add it?

I sure will when my 26 40's(a lot of them don't have block enhancers, but boy could they use 'em for that extra bit o' survival! :)) start needing it! :). Un-needed for vets like ourselfs, good ol' spinny :), I still stand by this suggestion, despite spinny doing nothing but providing his usual childish dribble.
    By your own admission, this change is not needed ( again ).
    Considering that Spinny has made the exact same arguments against this suggestion this time (right down to their first post even) as they did when i posted it a couple years back, there is no reasoning with them. There's far more support than against and those against have still yet to give any real argument against it other than "it's not needed" or "it's not broken". If you really think this shouldn't be added then give a real argument, take the time and compose a reason rather than sticking to the same stale one dimensional arguments you've been giving for years.
    jniKqKJ.png
    spinnytop said:

spinnytop said:

raighn said:

Why not add it?

I sure will when my 26 40's(

a lot of them don't have block enhancers, but boy could they use 'em for that extra bit o' survival!

:)) start needing it! :). Un-needed for vets like ourselfs, good ol' spinny :), I still stand by this suggestion, despite spinny doing nothing but providing his usual childish dribble.
    By your own admission, this change is not needed ( again ).

42 40s, LTSer.
    edited January 2016
    raighn said:

Considering that Spinny has made the exact same arguments against this suggestion this time (right down to their first post even) as they did when i posted it a couple years back, there is no reasoning with them. There's far more support than against and those against have still yet to give any real argument against it other than "it's not needed" or "it's not broken". If you really think this shouldn't be added then give a real argument, take the time and compose a reason rather than sticking to the same stale one dimensional arguments you've been giving for years.

They can't. Seriously, they tried to twist what I said, and other than that..BS :) Oh spinny? Just for you :wink: :

*Ahem* this is from my earlier post about my 40s, and their making use of block enhancers :)

a lot of them don't have block enhancers, but boy could they use 'em for that extra bit o' survival!

Boy!, sure reminds me of the Quarry thread..and as such!(for you spinny, ofc.):

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Asspull

Adjust as necessary :)

42 40s, LTSer.
    edited January 2016
    raighn said:

You don't need a new argument if the old one still makes sense.

Grats on getting a few people to agree with you in this thread, I'm sure everyone is impressed with the widespread support you've garnered. Fortunately, devs realize that there will always be a lot of support for players getting more power for no reason, and that that's no reason to give it to them.
    edited January 2016
    spinnytop said:

raighn said:

Grats on getting a few people to agree with you in this thread, I'm sure everyone is impressed with the widespread support you've garnered. Fortunately, devs realize that there will always be a lot of support for players getting more power for no reason, and that that's no reason to give it to them.
    The same can be said for those wanting to nerf/not want anything added to the game. :) I think what raighn wants you to do spinny is defend your logic, not dig yourself into the ground. :)

42 40s, LTSer.

I think what raighn wants you to do spinny is defend your logic, not dig yourself into the ground. :)

That's exactly what I want, and I've said as much a dozen or so times across various other threads over the years... to this day I can think of only 1 time that Spinny has EVER actually made a real argument rather than persistantly posting the exact same one dimensional arguments against everything that they disagree with. If you want someone to take you seriously when you disagree with a suggestion then make a real argument against it. Stop posting "not needed" to everything. And seriously stop attempting to call every argument against you a strawman. I don't know what is with you and a few other's obsession with insisting that any disagreement is a strawman, it only makes you appear to be a troll, which you have defended vehemently that you were not when I accused you of being a troll directly about a year ago.
    jniKqKJ.png

spinnytop said:

raighn said:

The same can be said for those wanting to nerf/not want anything added to the game. :) I think what raighn wants you to do spinny is defend your logic, not dig yourself into the ground. :)
    You think there's always wide support when someone says things should be nerfed? :neutral:

also on "not want anything added to the game":

raighn said:

I think what raighn wants you to do spinny is defend your logic, not dig yourself into the ground. :)

That's exactly what I want
    And I already did it. You just didn't like what I said since it disagrees with what you think, so you decided to do this:

I'm using lots of pics since xcelsior likes them so much :smiley:
    I can see, there is supposed to be no needed because the grade of liberty of FF allows you to take it or leave it and take more and maybe better options (like another AD or something), so with no touching the FF, no touching the ATs, and everyone equallity and happy (or maybe not) as far as I dont like this, its why Block replacer arent mandatory :/
    4hszgc1knoyo.png

Spinny isn't the only person that disagrees with effectively adding another power. But I guess he's the one that's most fun to argue with?

Having a ton of options and forcing people to choose a limited number of them would do a whole lot more for build diversity than letting everyone be able to do everything in a single build. Kinda the problem with builds now.

What benefit is there to adding another power? Why? What does it add to builds? What does having 15-20 power picks bring to the table? You already have builds that can do everything in most of the content and it's not hard to make those builds. Players are already incredibly powerful and you want to have more power?
  • xrazamaxxrazamax Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    I'm pretty sure that blocks and passives were considered in the number of power selections a player gets. Like Sterga said, there isn't a need for more powers beyond seeing your character have different ways of pew pewing.
    xrazamax said:

I'm pretty sure that blocks and passives were considered in the number of power selections a player gets. Like Sterga said, there isn't a need for more powers beyond seeing your character have different ways of pew pewing.

True..hmm. what if they just gave the choice for a minor utility ability(for ATs) and FFs still had to actually choose a block replacer? That good?.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • xrazamaxxrazamax Posts: 979 Arc User
    gradii said:

And I'm saying block replacers and energy unlocks should be entirely seperate from the power point pool you get normally.

14 power points 1 energy unlock point and 1 block replacer point sounds perfectly reasonable to me. if you want to go without a block replacer or energy unlock you can always neglect to spend your block replacer/energy unlock point.

Nothing else would really change.

And I'm saying you are looking at it the wrong way. The reason you don't get 16 power points is because you HAVE to take two travel powers. Also, you don't need a block, and you don't need an energy unlock. Many builds go without these and save the power selection for other uses.

Where does it stop? I mean, unless you want to travel around CO extremely slowly, you are taking at least 1 travel power, so those don't count, as well as energy builders - but you can only have 1 EB and only 2 TP. You pay a point for passives because you can take as many of those as you want if you decide you want to be able to play multiple roles.

And then will we say, "1 point for forms, because everyone takes a form" and "1 point for AO/AD because you really need one" "1 point for heals because you can't survive without it" "1 Point for Energy Unlock because only certain builds can get by without one" ? The game isn't designed like that. You can ONLY take 1 Energy Builder, You can ONLY take 2 Travel Powers - so these don't count against you. Everything else is up to you - decide what to use your 14 points on. Blocks are calculated into those 14 points.

I get what Ravenforce is saying, and it is an interesting proposal, but ultimately it is a request for another power point selection, and until we get content that requires a level increase, we don't really need those.