test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sorcery powers/rework

lunnylunnylunnylunny Posts: 186 Arc User
edited January 2016 in Suggestions Box
The main idea that came to my mind before typing this was to give Sorcery the new skills it deserves, aswell as making them work similarly as the Martial arts trees, where you have different forms for each tree.

Before starting, names can be very well switched: not only English isn't my main language, but I'm also terrible with names.

First and foremost, I had the idea to create "Stacks" quite like Ego Leech, but with different purposes for each tree:

Arcane Energy: Grants a very small income of energy per stack/Gives power cost discount
Radiant Energy: Grants a small heal over time per stack/Gives a small resistance boost
Primal Energy: Grants a small resistance boost/Gives a DoT aura of somewhat small range(25~50feet)
Ebon Energy: Grants a small All, Paranormal or Magic damage boost/Gives small Critical chance and(or) critical severity boost

(Now that I've repeated Small so many times...)

The forms should be relatively simple, they can gain stacks of "Wisdom", quite like Focus from the martial tree, everytime they gain one of the Energy Stacks. Each form could have this advantage:

Magician's aid: Cuts the effectivety of the stacks(Arcane/Radiant/Primal/Ebon Energy) on yourself by (--)*%, but whenever gaining those magical Energy stacks, allies around(50 ft. Perhaps 100ft if the stack matches the hero's passive) will also get them, for their full value.

* Either a flat % or decreases with Presence.
The forms all give medium ranged damage and healing boost, but low melee damage boost.
The forms will not give energy for each gained Wisdom stack.
(Quite like Aspect of the Machine, where the stacks give medium damage boost to both ranged and melee.)

Innate Passive Secondary Energy Unlock:

Magic Reverberation/Sorcerer's Wisdom: Upon gaining any stacks of each of the magical Energy stacks, the Sorcerer receives energy, once every 3 seconds. Scales off Presence or Inteligence, whichever is higher, as most Energy Unlocks, scales a little with Recovery.

Slotted Offensive Passive:

Sorcerer Grants Ranged (well..they're all ranged, so...) Magic damage boost and a smaller Paranormal damage boost, also giving resistance to paranormal type of damage. Each stack of magical "Energy" gives sorcery powers (--)% chance to crit/(--)% resistance penetration.

Now, finally, to the actual powers, starting with the current existing ones:

Eldritch Blast *could* be switched to "Arcane Blast, Radiant Blast, Primal Blast, Ebon Blast" to fit the stack system, or to have special benefits if the player has one of those stacks, perhaps a mechanic quite like Mind Break.

Pillar of Poz: Instead of knocking enemies away, stuns them for a short period, quite like Thunderclap, but a ranged, sorcery version. New advantage for a (--)% chance to get a random magic "Energy" stack for each enemy hit.

Now for new powers:

Arcane arrows: (Maintain**) Creates magical arrows of arcane power, damaging the foe and it's ability to strike back if fully charged.
Ticks every 0.5s for 4 seconds, each tick has a chance to fuel the Sorcerer with Arcane Energy stacks. The last tick applies a debuff that varies depending on the enemy, for PvE: Increases time needed to charge skills, afflicting even bossess, but the (--)% lowers for each enemy rank. For PvP: decreases power cost discount.

**Could also be a charge, with similar effects.

Advantages:
(R2 & R3 just increase damage)
Crippling Challenge
Arcane Fuel (1~3 points): Increases the chance of gaining Arcane Energy stacks.

Radiant Beam:(Similar beam effect of Celestial Conduit, but without the same user animation) : (Maintain**) The user shines the enemy, blinding it for a moment if fully charged.
Ticks every 0.5s for 4 seconds, each tick has a chance to fuel the Sorcerer with Radiant Energy stacks. The last tick applies a blindness debuff, which decreases a small portion of the enemy's damage and resistance.

Advantages:
Crippling Challenge
Radiant Fuel (1~3 points): Increases the chance of gaining Radiant Energy stacks.

Primal Storm:(Maintain): The Sorcerer electrifies the enemy with magical eletricity, creating a storm if other enemies dare stay closer to the primary target.
Ticks every 0.5s for 4 seconds. If a secondary unit is near the primary target after the first second, the damage for the primary target lowers a little, but also hits, for 20% of the damage, the secondary unit, up to 4 extra enemies. Each tick has a chance to fuel the Sorcerer with Primal Energy stacks, but only from hitting the primary target. Deals magical damage.

Advantages:
Crippling Challenge
Primal Fuel(1~3 points): Increases the chance of gaining Primal Energy Stacks.
Corageous Sorcerer(0 points): The primary target will now always get full damage while the extra units will not be damaged anymore. The power now applies bonus Threat to the primary target and enemy units that are near it, after the first second.

Ebon Wrath:(Maintain**): With hatred on it's eyes, the wizard creates a demonic circle below it's target, damaging even the target's ability to run if fully charged.
Ticks every 0.5s for 4 seconds, each tick has a chance to fuel the Sorcerer with Ebon Energy stacks. The last tick snares the enemy, if the enemy cannot be snared (3 resistances or bosses), the last tick deals bonus damage (+150%***) and slows them slightly.

Advantages:
Crippling Challenge
Ebon Fuel(1~3 points): Increases the chance of gaining Primal Energy Stacks.

***Which would make it 3 ticks in one. It could be an advantage instead, or have the % recalibrated.

Sorcerer's Restoration(Maintain): The sorcerer uses it's extensive wisdom to heal an ally, the spell reaches the ally instantly for the first second, but must travel the required distance after, though with increased strength.
Ticks every 0.5s for 3 seconds. Increased healing every tick after 1s, though the instant heal ticks shouldn't be weak.

Advantages:
(R2 & R3 just increase the healing and projectile speed perhaps)
Selfless Sorcerer(1 point): At each tick, passes away one of each magical Energy stacks the sorcerer may have. ****

****The sorcerer loses the stacks it has to pass them to the ally, if possible the ally should have a much longer duration of the stacks, as from this kit there aren't many forms of gathering each stack quickly enough.

Mana Shield: Shields an ally from damage, increasing it's resistance (Grants Primal Energy and/or Radiant Energy). If the shield is broken, the caster will be temporarily stronger (Grants Ebon Energy to the Sorcerer). If the shield is reapplied or isn't broken, the ally will be energized (Grants Arcane Energy).
Instant cast, but with cooldown. Intelligence will reduce the cooldown more than it normally should, presence will too reduce the cooldown but much less.

Advantages:
(R2 & R3 increases shield health)
Energy of the Sorcerer(2 points): Doubles the magical Energy stacks received from the shield.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That is all that I currently have. I may edit this or post more below if any other ideas come.
If you've read all of this, thank you very much for using your time just to read this, it means a lot to me.

The sorcery trees really need more skills, so if you had any idea that came to you that would work with this "Set" above, please comment. I'm very certain all of you can create much better spells (and names for them) than I. The given idea is, as said, just an idea. A few more powers would be needed to make this actually work, too.

The main view I have here is to give the Sorcery tree not only more utility tools, but to be a possible set to use for Supports (boosting allies or transfering stacks), Tanks (skills giving stacks that increase their resistance or shock enemies around, as tanks normally are surrounded by enemies) and DPSes (With powerful skills and damage stack boosts, with even a slotted offensive just for them).

Again, thank you for reading.

Comments

• avianosavianos Posts: 6,022 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    +1
    Give Sorcery powerframe(s) some love and actual variety​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User

The main idea that came to my mind before typing this was to give Sorcery the new skills it deserves, aswell as making them work similarly as the Martial arts trees, where you have different forms for each tree.

Before starting, names can be very well switched: not only English isn't my main language, but I'm also terrible with names.

First and foremost, I had the idea to create "Stacks" quite like Ego Leech, but with different purposes for each tree:

Arcane Energy: Grants a very small income of energy per stack/Gives power cost discount
    Radiant Energy: Grants a small heal over time per stack/Gives a small resistance boost
    Primal Energy: Grants a small resistance boost/Gives a DoT aura of somewhat small range(25~50feet)
    Ebon Energy: Grants a small All, Paranormal or Magic damage boost/Gives small Critical chance and(or) critical severity boost

(Now that I've repeated Small so many times...)

The forms should be relatively simple, they can gain stacks of "Wisdom", quite like Focus from the martial tree, everytime they gain one of the Energy Stacks. Each form could have this advantage:

Magician's aid: Cuts the effectivety of the stacks(Arcane/Radiant/Primal/Ebon Energy) on yourself by (--)*%, but whenever gaining those magical Energy stacks, allies around(50 ft. Perhaps 100ft if the stack matches the hero's passive) will also get them, for their full value.

* Either a flat % or decreases with Presence.
    The forms all give medium ranged damage and healing boost, but low melee damage boost.
    The forms will not give energy for each gained Wisdom stack.
    (Quite like Aspect of the Machine, where the stacks give medium damage boost to both ranged and melee.)

Innate Passive Secondary Energy Unlock:

Magic Reverberation/Sorcerer's Wisdom: Upon gaining any stacks of each of the magical Energy stacks, the Sorcerer receives energy, once every 3 seconds. Scales off Presence or Inteligence, whichever is higher, as most Energy Unlocks, scales a little with Recovery.

Slotted Offensive Passive:

Sorcerer Grants Ranged (well..they're all ranged, so...) Magic damage boost and a smaller Paranormal damage boost, also giving resistance to paranormal type of damage. Each stack of magical "Energy" gives sorcery powers (--)% chance to crit/(--)% resistance penetration.

Now, finally, to the actual powers, starting with the current existing ones:

Eldritch Blast *could* be switched to "Arcane Blast, Radiant Blast, Primal Blast, Ebon Blast" to fit the stack system, or to have special benefits if the player has one of those stacks, perhaps a mechanic quite like Mind Break.

Pillar of Poz: Instead of knocking enemies away, stuns them for a short period, quite like Thunderclap, but a ranged, sorcery version. New advantage for a (--)% chance to get a random magic "Energy" stack for each enemy hit.

Now for new powers:

Arcane arrows: (Maintain**) Creates magical arrows of arcane power, damaging the foe and it's ability to strike back if fully charged.
    Ticks every 0.5s for 4 seconds, each tick has a chance to fuel the Sorcerer with Arcane Energy stacks. The last tick applies a debuff that varies depending on the enemy, for PvE: Increases time needed to charge skills, afflicting even bossess, but the (--)% lowers for each enemy rank. For PvP: decreases power cost discount.

**Could also be a charge, with similar effects.

Advantages:
    Crippling Challenge
    Arcane Fuel (1~3 points): Increases the chance of gaining Arcane Energy stacks.

Radiant Beam:(Similar beam effect of Celestial Conduit, but without the same user animation) : (Maintain**) The user shines the enemy, blinding it for a moment if fully charged.
    Ticks every 0.5s for 4 seconds, each tick has a chance to fuel the Sorcerer with Radiant Energy stacks. The last tick applies a blindness debuff, which decreases a small portion of the enemy's damage and resistance.

Advantages:
    Crippling Challenge
    Radiant Fuel (1~3 points): Increases the chance of gaining Radiant Energy stacks.

Primal Storm:(Maintain): The Sorcerer electrifies the enemy with magical eletricity, creating a storm if other enemies dare stay closer to the primary target.
    Ticks every 0.5s for 4 seconds. If a secondary unit is near the primary target after the first second, the damage for the primary target lowers a little, but also hits, for 20% of the damage, the secondary unit, up to 4 extra enemies. Each tick has a chance to fuel the Sorcerer with Primal Energy stacks, but only from hitting the primary target. Deals magical damage.

Advantages:
    Crippling Challenge
    Primal Fuel(1~3 points): Increases the chance of gaining Primal Energy Stacks.
    Corageous Sorcerer(0 points): The primary target will now always get full damage while the extra units will not be damaged anymore. The power now applies bonus Threat to the primary target and enemy units that are near it, after the first second.

Ebon Wrath:(Maintain**): With hatred on it's eyes, the wizard creates a demonic circle below it's target, damaging even the target's ability to run if fully charged.
    Ticks every 0.5s for 4 seconds, each tick has a chance to fuel the Sorcerer with Ebon Energy stacks. The last tick snares the enemy, if the enemy cannot be snared (3 resistances or bosses), the last tick deals bonus damage (+150%***) and slows them slightly.

Advantages:
    Crippling Challenge
    Ebon Fuel(1~3 points): Increases the chance of gaining Primal Energy Stacks.

***Which would make it 3 ticks in one. It could be an advantage instead, or have the % recalibrated.

Sorcerer's Restoration(Maintain): The sorcerer uses it's extensive wisdom to heal an ally, the spell reaches the ally instantly for the first second, but must travel the required distance after, though with increased strength.
    Ticks every 0.5s for 3 seconds. Increased healing every tick after 1s, though the instant heal ticks shouldn't be weak.

Advantages:
    (R2 & R3 just increase the healing and projectile speed perhaps)
    Selfless Sorcerer(1 point): At each tick, passes away one of each magical Energy stacks the sorcerer may have. ****

****The sorcerer loses the stacks it has to pass them to the ally, if possible the ally should have a much longer duration of the stacks, as from this kit there aren't many forms of gathering each stack quickly enough.

Mana Shield: Shields an ally from damage, increasing it's resistance (Grants Primal Energy and/or Radiant Energy). If the shield is broken, the caster will be temporarily stronger (Grants Ebon Energy to the Sorcerer). If the shield is reapplied or isn't broken, the ally will be energized (Grants Arcane Energy).
    Instant cast, but with cooldown. Intelligence will reduce the cooldown more than it normally should, presence will too reduce the cooldown but much less.

Advantages:
    (R2 & R3 increases shield health)
    Energy of the Sorcerer(2 points): Doubles the magical Energy stacks received from the shield.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    That is all that I currently have. I may edit this or post more below if any other ideas come.
    If you've read all of this, thank you very much for using your time just to read this, it means a lot to me.

The sorcery trees really need more skills, so if you had any idea that came to you that would work with this "Set" above, please comment. I'm very certain all of you can create much better spells (and names for them) than I. The given idea is, as said, just an idea. A few more powers would be needed to make this actually work, too.

The main view I have here is to give the Sorcery tree not only more utility tools, but to be a possible set to use for Supports (boosting allies or transfering stacks), Tanks (skills giving stacks that increase their resistance or shock enemies around, as tanks normally are surrounded by enemies) and DPSes (With powerful skills and damage stack boosts, with even a slotted offensive just for them).

Again, thank you for reading.

I like it! :)
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • ngeluzngeluz Posts: 60 Arc User
    Agreed... but if anything I like to have access to the Magic base power armor that comes with the Lemuria Power Armor become device... Seriously is Shadow Destroyer and the Lemuria’s of the Past the only ones who actually manage to use science/arms technology with magic? Why can’t we break form the traditional classic Medieval Wizard and add a bit more Modern flavor to it? If anything they can add to the already existing magic arsenal with your suggestion…if they don’t want to rework it.
    I really wish the Devs take note of your suggestion!
  • lunnylunnylunnylunny Posts: 186 Arc User
    ngeluz said:

Agreed... but if anything I like to have access to the Magic base power armor that comes with the Lemuria Power Armor become device... Seriously is Shadow Destroyer and the Lemuria’s of the Past the only ones who actually manage to use science/arms technology with magic? Why can’t we break form the traditional classic Medieval Wizard and add a bit more Modern flavor to it? If anything they can add to the already existing magic arsenal with your suggestion…if they don’t want to rework it.
    I really wish the Devs take note of your suggestion!

Ah, a magitech/magic+science combo set would be very interesting too!

And I think this is the best time to suggest anything Sorcery related, since they made some changes in the PTS in one skill that increase "Magic damage" but we have about 2~4 magic damaging skills out of 4 trees, so perhaps it means they plan on adding more magic skills very soon... I hope!
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,022 Arc User
    lunnylunny wrote: »
    Ah, a magitech/magic+science combo set would be very interesting too!

And I think this is the best time to suggest anything Sorcery related, since they made some changes in the PTS in one skill that increase "Magic damage" but we have about 2~4 magic damaging skills out of 4 trees, so perhaps it means they plan on adding more magic skills very soon... I hope!

Believe it or not Magitechnology powers already exist ingame, but not directly for players

the Become Lemuria Power Armour devices, use Reskined Power Armour powers which Deal magic damage
    [video]https://youtu.be/E4cAAIfxlpg[/video]

If they made those powers available ingame would be nice...​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    I approve... Mystyx may find herself with a few new spells if this happens... though she will still remain a sigil spammer first and foremost...
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
    Ah well, the rework came up. Well, thanks for the comments anyways, much appreciated.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    avianos said:

Believe it or not Magitechnology powers already exist ingame, but not directly for players

the Become Lemuria Power Armour devices, use Reskined Power Armour powers which Deal magic damage

[video]image

If they made those powers available ingame would be nice...​​

Ooohh... that'd be cool!, perfect thing for an event unlock!
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    Soulbeam is similar to one of these powers, I believe.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.

Soulbeam is similar to one of these powers, I believe.

Well, I truly hope they took at least some inspiration from this, that'd mean alot to me! But, in either way, I wasn't aware they had completely given up on the four sorcery skill trees (Ebon, Radiant, Primal, Arcane) so I did what I could to make the skills fit in that. But again.. hopefully they did get some inspiration from this!
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    Sorcery has a ranged maintain that explodes when it hits a target, doing spherical AoE damage, similar to micro munitions.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.