test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Something odd about new accounts nowadays.

I'm pretty sure nobody's asked this yet, but someone somewhere's thinking about it.

Why is it that new accounts nowadays have a number slapped on the end? Like... lemme see if I can find one in zone chat... um...

Alright let's try the search function.
I see these new accounts:

@crizzus#1657
@petticoatpig#1762
@stumpy1989#8980
@ltetol#3401
@palkeybutler#5617

This is something that happens to anyone making a fresh account now. Kinda confusing, since nobody else's old accounts are affected. Clearly we were fine as we were.

Also for an example, you can't send @crizzus a /tell, just @crizzus#1657.

Comments

• nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Over 8 million Chinese Cryptic accounts for Neverwinter. Bots probably used up all the legitimate names.
  • ngeluzngeluz Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited December 2015

Over 8 million Chinese Cryptic accounts for Neverwinter. Bots probably used up all the legitimate names.

Yeah its a bit out of control...its sad really, with no real solution to the problem since the games economy kinda encorage to buy from does looking to tke advantage of that...I hope Crytic figures out a way to minimize this or their games will eventuly will become unplayable not for only for the bots but the lag it brings having so many phantom accounts. :(

• animalgirl95animalgirl95 Posts: 19 Arc User
    It's Arc's new account name system. when asked for a name you can put something like "HeroicParagon" in the display name field and it's only once account creation is complete that it tells you that your account name is now "heroicparagon#1337".

I have no idea what would prompt them to make this change, maybe they felt that were just one too many variations of "X_x_X_Alucard_X_x_X" in their system :P​​
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User

I have no idea what would prompt them to make this change, maybe they felt that were just one too many variations of "X_x_X_Alucard_X_x_X" in their system :P​​

Wait, wait--I thought *I* was the original Ed Alucard. Me!
    No one else even knows my obscure reference.

Also, X_Pander_X was created by me, too.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • steampunkysteampunky Posts: 4 Arc User
    It's a security feature, the same one Blizzard uses.

It is a forced increase in account identification entropy so that auto-cycling brute force password bots and programs have a harder time getting past the basic nature of a username/password structure.

It looks ugly, but it has proven to be somewhat effective.
    Great Weapon Fighter tanks? Who are you kidding? Cleric tanks. They draw -all- the aggro.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User

It's Arc's new account name system. when asked for a name you can put something like "HeroicParagon" in the display name field and it's only once account creation is complete that it tells you that your account name is now "heroicparagon#1337".

I have no idea what would prompt them to make this change, maybe they felt that were just one too many variations of "X_x_X_Deadpool_X_x_X" in their system :P​​

Fixed that for you.

nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!