test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Does UNTIL allow non-humans within their ranks?

As the title says, I'm having a hard time finding anything in the lore, stating whether UNTIL allows non-humans to join their ranks or not.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Comments

• Options
    onlyepicwolfonlyepicwolf Posts: 94 Arc User
    gradii said:

Pretty sure they do...

I'm looking for a proper answer, to be fair.
  • Options
    circleofpsi#4619 circleofpsi Posts: 2,913 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    The answer is yes, look a Ironclad, and Socrates, they are both part of UNTIL. Same as Kodiak and Dr.Sliver-back. Many more still remain, like the lemurians (the good guys).
    Psi.
  • Options
    onlyepicwolfonlyepicwolf Posts: 94 Arc User
    cryneting said:

The answer is yes, look a Ironclad, and Socrates, they are both part of UNTIL. Same as Kodiak and Dr.Sliver-back. Many more still remain, like the lemurians (the good guys).

Cheers, wanted to double check since the lore e-books I've found state little.
  • Options
    ogremindesogremindes Posts: 348 Arc User
    cryneting said:

You sure they're in UNTIL, rather than, say, work with? Kodiak in particular is FBI, no?

-Ogre
  • Options
    edited October 2015

cryneting said:

You sure they're in UNTIL, rather than, say, work with? Kodiak in particular is FBI, no?
    Well, as I assume yes, just because someone don't physically wear an UNTIL outfit or physically go to them, don't mean they don't work for them.

Think about it, if they only allowed HUMANS in UNTIL, they whuold of been wiped out and destroyed by now due to racism and ****. Also why is you "Toon" allowed to join UNTIL/Unity?. We're all not "Human" toons, if they banned Humans, we whuold never be allowed to do Mission to do with UNTIL.

Come on man, its not that hard

Psi.
  • Options
    bazodeebazodee Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Taken from Champions Universe:
    ...suggested that the U.N. itself should establish,
    maintain, and command a global police force for
    dealing with superhuman crime and related matters
    of global, regional, or even national security.
    The proposed police force would have the right to
    enter the territory of any U.N. member nation who
    signed the treaty establishing it, but would have to
    receive permission from other nations to conduct
    operations on their soil. The agency would not
    employ superhumans for the most part, but would
    instead equip trained human agents with the latest
    in high-tech law enforcement gear, some specifi -
    cally designed for combatting supervillains
    "for the most part" sounds like there are some exceptions to me

and
    UNTIL also has an offi cial superteam, UNITY.
    I don't like Sigs, but I'll leave this here anyway. At least I'm not to trying to hypnotise you with moving things!
  • Options
    bazodee said:

Taken from Champions Universe:

...suggested that the U.N. itself should establish,
    maintain, and command a global police force for
    dealing with superhuman crime and related matters
    of global, regional, or even national security.
    The proposed police force would have the right to
    enter the territory of any U.N. member nation who
    signed the treaty establishing it, but would have to
    receive permission from other nations to conduct
    operations on their soil. The agency would not
    employ superhumans for the most part, but would
    instead equip trained human agents with the latest
    in high-tech law enforcement gear, some specifi -
    cally designed for combatting supervillains
    "for the most part" sounds like there are some exceptions to me

and
    UNTIL also has an offi cial superteam, UNITY.
    Ahh ok, well that makes sense, guess thats another reason why we should blow up UNTIL, racists
    Psi.
  • Options

..I don't think 'racist' is the term, Cry.

And.. some people like playing the badass normal Nick Fury / Black Widow / Hawkeye / SHIELD type of character.

Every organization in the setting is not going to (nor should be) tailored to your particular character fantasies. This does not make those organizations one bit less valid.

Eh true, but in RP wise, a faction I have made, are aginest UNTIL, as they are full of nothing but "Hairless Apes", and that they don't allow aliens inside etc.

But that's a good point, I whuold love to have Shield like powers, that you use and throw around
    Psi.
  • Options
    bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Well, I haven't found any notations in source books, such as Champions Universe and UNTIL: Defenders Of Freedom, specifically forbidding a non-human from joining UNTIL. All of the current members of UNITY, UNTIL's official super team, are human or mutated from a human. Whether actual extraterrestrials or extradimensionals would be allowed is unspecified; there are so few aliens on Champions Earth today (at least in the general population) that the authors of those books probably didn't see a need to address the issue. Since UNTIL is an organ of the United Nations, it's valid to consider whether it could employ an alien without citizenship in any of its member states. OTOH a nation could extend citizenship rights to someone from off-planet, so if you wanted your non-human PC to be a member of UNTIL that would be easy enough to justify.

As to some of the superhumans already mentioned on this thread, one needs to remember that UNTIL is its own separate trans-national organization. Non-humans who belong to or are employed by other organizations, including governmental ones, are not automatically affiliated with UNTIL, although superheroes often have some type of cooperative arrangement with them. (UNTIL has formal programs for liaising with heroes.) Specifically, the Champions superteam, and Dr. Silverback, are private individuals. Kodiak works for the FBI, hence the government of the United States, most definitely separate from UNTIL. Note that Dr. Silverback went to court to establish his rights as a "person," and after winning that was made a naturalized citizen of the United Kingdom. I would assume Ironclad has been granted American citizenship.

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    Well, the writeup cited merely states that they employ normals, probably to avoid accusations of bias when dealing with supers ("You went easy on them - they're your kind!"). I suppose that nonhumans with abilities no greater than a trained human might well apply, although as it's a UN-sponsored organization they'd also need to hold citizenship in a UN member country...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    I honestly don't think it's a question of avoiding bias. From a practical point of view, there simply aren't enough superhumans to effectively police the entire world, even if you could corral every global hero and persuade or press-gang them to serve UNTIL. You need boots on the ground, and the vast majority of boots on Earth are on normal human feet.

The Champions Universe quotation says that "The agency would not employ superhumans for the most part." To me that isn't an exclusion, merely an acknowledgement of the need for larger numbers of agents than you can draw from the supers pool.