test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Onslaught and Nemesis System combination?

Would it be possible to set something up where we could say challenge a friend or SG-mate's Nemesis and every time someone completes a Nemesis mission for one of mine I get Villain tokens (maybe 1-5 depending on player level) and whenever I get one of their missions completed I get 5 Guardian tokens (again depending on my level)?

I feel like that would be a fun way to get the Nemesis system revitalized and cut into some of the grind of Onslaughting for tokens.

Also maybe add in a special Group mission to unlock additional Nemesis slots for more variety?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Posts: 447 Arc User
    Would it be possible? Sure, if the devs decided to do it.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    1.you mean allowing other people to get your nemesis clues? You can do that currently, it locks them from getting any other clues until that one is discarded.
    2.other people having your nemesis data stored against their account?
    that's going to take a lot of extra storage and confusion, as each person's character's nemesis is going to have to be stored separately on each of your characters..
    3. I can see the trying to remeber who is attacking which nemesis belonging to which character, giving the game system a heartattack.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    hatepwehatepwe Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    No I mean you go to the Nemesis or Socrates panel and are told "There's someone attacking X" and you get a mission to go stop them. Almost like the ALERT system but with a random person's Nemesis.

Or can click a Nemesis button in your friend's list and choose whatever nemesis they have active to seek out.

This would be more akin to the same way STO takes my data when I make a Foundry mission and posts it to the server. The system would just post my active Nemesis to this particular section of the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    Who knows. There was someone using an anagram of Jack Emmert on reddit a month ago saying the Nemesis system will be seeing some love, but your mileage may vary depending if you believe it was really Jack or not. While I would like, I will continue to err on the side of caution, given the current state of things.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    hatepwe said:

Would it be possible to set something up where we could say challenge a friend or SG-mate's Nemesis and every time someone completes a Nemesis mission for one of mine I get Villain tokens (maybe 1-5 depending on player level) and whenever I get one of their missions completed I get 5 Guardian tokens (again depending on my level)?

I feel like that would be a fun way to get the Nemesis system revitalized and cut into some of the grind of Onslaughting for tokens.

Also maybe add in a special Group mission to unlock additional Nemesis slots for more variety?

Yeah a great way of getting your suggestions on forums noticed is having your forum tag declare your hatred for the company that actually saved this game.

If it wasn't for PWE Champions Online would have shut in 2011 when Atari dropped it.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    hatepwehatepwe Posts: 13 Arc User
    nepht said:

hatepwe said:

Yeah a great way of getting your suggestions on forums noticed is having your forum tag declare your hatred for the company that actually saved this game.

If it wasn't for PWE Champions Online would have shut in 2011 when Atari dropped it.
    A. The game would have been picked up by someone else as there were several parties involved in that travesty.
    B. The game is and has been essentially since it was launched, run in just above maintenance mode. Sparse content updates, no level cap increase since year 1, etc.
    C. The name was created as a joke when PWE first bought Cryptic from Atari because at the time you had to have two accounts made for the forums one original and one PWE new system which we were assured at the time, post merge, we'd be able to reset our handles when we first logged in. Which turned out to not be true.

But way to ignore an attempt at a civil theoretical discussion and focus in on an unrelated aspect of my forum account to derail the thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    artmanpweartmanpwe Posts: 177 Arc User
    I would be happy with a 'Become Nemesis' token from the Onslaught system. Assuming the character using the token had a Nemesis, which should be the case for most 40s.
    ...Since 2009.
    ArtManZupSig7_zps27j4ilyb.jpg
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    This is where I think Cryptic missed out on a golden opportunity with the Onslaught system. They should have let us choose to make our own custom villain, using tailor customization and power set selection just like in the Nemesis Creator, only without the henchmen selection. The custom villain then could be buffed up regardless of power set choice so that they'll be on par with the default OVs. It would have been the perfect chance to expand on customization that's one of the game's strengths.

• Options
    wacky99wacky99 Posts: 115 Arc User
    That's a really good idea, JennymachX. Even if they consolidated the power sets used by the Villain / Nemesis you create to a selection of 'homages' - for example, you could say your Nemesis is like Grond, or Menton, or even Ironclad. You could select from the stable of Champions characters as a template ?

Just freethinking but it's a good idea. Although I do have to comment that I find it frustrating to get roflstomped by three or four gronds at once. For a big fella he sure can sneak up on you! : )

Stuffy on the old CO forums. PWE ate my username.
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Nemesis villains are too weak and puny to justify the rewards they already give.
  • Options
    spinnytop said:

Nemesis villains are too weak and puny to justify the rewards they already give.

This is why I mentioned that if they ever were to be integrated into Onslaught, they should be buffed up to match the current OVs.
  • Options

spinnytop said:

This is why I mentioned that if they ever were to be integrated into Onslaught, they should be buffed up to match the current OVs.
    And then reverse the regular ones to also be that tough :3
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    spinnytop said:

And then reverse the regular ones to also be that tough :3

The "regular" ones need to remain in their present state since they were designed in the way that they were for the type of content they were meant for. Would make zero sense to bump them up to OV power level in Nemcon, alerts or nemesis arcs. Medusa was buffed up compared to her weaker alert counterpart. Don't see why the same can't be done for OV nemeses.

• Options
    edited October 2015

The "regular" ones need to remain in their present state

It's insulting that my personal nemesis, they who claim to be the bane of my existence, they who claim to be my equal enough to in any way be relevant to my existence, is a weak nothing. So no, they don't need to remain in their present state.
  • Options
    spinnytop said:

It's insulting that my personal nemesis, they who claim to be the bane of my existence, they who claim to be my equal enough to in any way be relevant to my existence, is a weak nothing. So no, they don't need to remain in their present state.

They wouldn't be a weak nothing if they were integrated into Onslaught and made into OVs.

Whatever, if bumping them up to OV level is what it takes to bring them into Onslaught, I'm all for it. They've always been laughably weak in everything else anyway.
  • Options
    jennymachx wrote: »

I honestly don't know why the "weakness" of Nemesis was brought up as we've seen, before power creep went out of bloody control, the Nemesis can be scaled up in difficulty to compensate, as was the case in Nemesis Confrontation.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    crypticarkaynecrypticarkayne Posts: 182 Cryptic Developer
    We talked about using Nemeses as Onslaught Villain. The trick is that there are a lot of Nemesis types, and would take a while to convert them all, as well as a few technical hurdles. Better to establish a good baseline with a few villains first.
  • Options
    stellariodragonstellariodragon Posts: 588 Arc User
    Who knows. There was someone using an anagram of Jack Emmert on reddit a month ago saying the Nemesis system will be seeing some love, but your mileage may vary depending if you believe it was really Jack or not. While I would like, I will continue to err on the side of caution, given the current state of things.

I was wondering who that was supposed to be!​​
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User

We talked about using Nemeses as Onslaught Villain. The trick is that there are a lot of Nemesis types, and would take a while to convert them all, as well as a few technical hurdles. Better to establish a good baseline with a few villains first.

Soo... maybe later? cool!
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    you could use the Random nemesis. you only have to worry about scourge powers because the random power chooser broke after 1 week.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    hatepwe said:

nepht said:

hatepwe said:

A. The game would have been picked up by someone else as there were several parties involved in that travesty.
    B. The game is and has been essentially since it was launched, run in just above maintenance mode. Sparse content updates, no level cap increase since year 1, etc.
    C. The name was created as a joke when PWE first bought Cryptic from Atari because at the time you had to have two accounts made for the forums one original and one PWE new system which we were assured at the time, post merge, we'd be able to reset our handles when we first logged in. Which turned out to not be true.

But way to ignore an attempt at a civil theoretical discussion and focus in on an unrelated aspect of my forum account to derail the thread.
    People said someone would pick up CoH. That turned out great huh.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    nepht wrote: »
    People said someone would pick up CoH. That turned out great huh.

No one would want to pick up the tab on the debt that game accumulated.​​
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User

It would be cool if you could enable this as an option later, however. On the other hand, in each case you'd also want to check with the player whose Nem it is - some are kind of in-jokes, you know (Spider-Bat's enemy Deathjest, for instance, an amalgam of the Joker and Carnage).
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"