test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is it worth going to Life time sub

elvainlaselvainlas Posts: 8 Arc User
As the title say is it worth paying about £200 for the lifetime sub I know you get a lot of items but what about content will their be any new content or will it stay as it is​​
Post edited by kaiserin#0958 on

Comments

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    Will there be new content? Who knows? There are hints at it occasionally, but since the incredible whingefest surrounding the old UNTIL Reports, the devs don't actually tell us what they'd like to do any more.

The question you need to ask yourself is, do you see yourself still playing this game for another two years either way? Because I believe that's slightly less than two years' worth of monthly sub, you get even more than a monthly Gold member does (including all the vet rewards up front and another set of eight character slots), and it comes with the advantage that you never have to worry about paying your sub again. It's been worth it for me for just the character slots and the peace of mind. Whether it's worth it to you is a question that only you can answer.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    I've run the math on things before... the total value of everything that comes with an LTS totals up over 3x the cost of it... so it's a huge savings if you look at it that way... However, there is no exclusive content attached to an LTS (unless you cound a few costumes and 1 travel power, I certainly don't)... If CO ever does any sort of expansions, then it's possible they might take the same route a few other popular F2P mmos have and grant subscribers access to those expansions as part of the subscription package... but at this current time, the only such content are 3 tiny adventure packs that have been around for ages...

Personally I felt the cost of an LTS was worth it for me...
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    elenahallelenahall Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    If you're in doubt if its worth it, personally I can only recommend that you keep subbing and don't go for a lifetime subscription.

With a lifetime subscription you basically accept the status quo. The company got the money and have no incentive beyond shop items to offer you any more content. A gold subscriber but not lifetime subscriber gives them the incentive to bring out more good content to keep said gold subscriber on board to subscribe for another month.

I'd only recommend going lifetime if you fully approve of the game development so far and expect them to keep up the work.

Personally I think Champions Online has a very nice and solid basis with the character creation, but the content they bring out every month feels very lacking to me. No big new maps, no AI improvements or more interesting combat features, more and more useless shop items like that lockbox rigmarole and the loot system needs a total overhaul to keep anything but heroic, legion and justice sets interesting. They killed the old crafting completely and instead of overhauling it to what it should have been turned it into a cash grab (mod fusion items etc.)

All of these are personal opinions of course, feel free to make your own list of things of what has happened to Champions Online over the past months or years and then decide yourself if you like the points on your list, or if you want them to improve on what they've been doing so far.

If you are happy with your list, go ahead and get a lifetime sub, if not enjoy the game as a gold suscriber for as long as you enjoy it.
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    This question can be answered with simple math and one question.

LTS = $300
    16 FF slots @$25ea = $400

Do you like making lots of FF characters?
    If yes, then LTS is worth it.
    If no, then LTS is not worth it.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    sterga said:

LTS = $300

This was one of the big deciding factors for me... plus I had already spent like $300 on monthly subscription... so... yea...
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    elenahallelenahall Posts: 28 Arc User
    Really depends if you level your characters to 40 or not. Every level 40 gives you a free new FF slot if you're gold anyways.
  • Options
    elvainlaselvainlas Posts: 8 Arc User
    at the moment my account is Silver
  • Options
    dragonelegancedragonelegance Posts: 23 Arc User
    Depends on how much you are actually playing. I got my LTS a bit more than a month ago, and I didn't regret it, because I'm effective playing this game a lot (played for 3 or 4 years by now before I got my LTS).
  • Options
    chuckwolfchuckwolf Posts: 274 Arc User
    It would have been worth it if you had purchased it last month when it was 33% off ($200 USD or 133 Pounds UK) but I can't see spending full price (I bought mine last month BTW)
    @Powerblast in game
  • Options
    dr490nbr347hidr490nbr347hi Posts: 260 Arc User
    Not at full price. But if you catch a sale, then go for it.

@dr490nbr347hi / Playing since January 25, '11
    Display normal Internet behavior. Come and make fun (yes, make fun) of my PRIMUS page.
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Posts: 35 Arc User
    If you are at the beginning of the game, loving it so far and can see yourself (based on your personal gaming habit experience) constantly looking back after playing most of it: Go for it. Even more so if you love replaying stuff with alts.

If you already did all quests, maxed your fave character, not an alt-person & just looking for more new stuff to do with your main: Nope, don't. You are at the end of the line. Check back every year or so, maybe something new has come in-between.
  • Options
    tekkwolfetekkwolfe Posts: 1 New User
    I bought lifetime in 2009 when it was still owned by cryptic. Any chance that carries over to Arc?
  • Options
    If you merge your old cryptic account with PWE then, yes it carries over. If you created a new account through PWE then... merge before you ever login to the game...
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    violetnychusvioletnychus Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Yes.

You do not just get a ton of freeform slots but power coloring, every monthly subscriber bonus, Club Caprice convenience, not having to get concerned about whether you want to subscribe a particular month or how much you should play in the month you subscribe, extra freeform slots after reaching maximum level, stipend zen, daily onslaught devices, and general convenience.

I doubt you will see any exclusive content because charging for content is generally not smart.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    tekkwolfe wrote: »
    I bought lifetime in 2009 when it was still owned by cryptic. Any chance that carries over to Arc?

email
    customerservice@perfectworld.com
    subject merge: pwe acct and old CO acct. give them the details (including when you last played)
    and let them do it. It' safer, especially if you haven't played for a long time, they will have to reactivate your characters, who will be in storage.
    BTW, you should have a HUGE pile of Zen in your acct.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    Will there be new content? Who knows? There are hints at it occasionally, but since the incredible whingefest surrounding the old UNTIL Reports, the devs don't actually tell us what they'd like to do any more.

Yea, who would be upset over planned content that was inadvertently dropped because they pulled all our devs to go save another one of their titles, again, as if we didn't need the help either. I mean, that's total lunacy there.

Or better yet, how about planned content for us that goes to the other titles but have still yet to cross that threshold to us?

tiger-17.gif​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    Buy a freeform slot instead. Its got more gameplay value for money than a crappy AssCreed or CoD game.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    See, Spar, that was the problem. It wasn't "planned" content. They talked about things they'd like to do, and folks (not pointing fingers here, y'all know who you were) insisted that every item discussed was a hard-and-fast promise, and flamed the devs whenever something didn't work out. (Remember Victorian London? I really wish that one had come through, but I understood when it didn't, and was happy that at least some of the assets created got worked into the Queen City arc. Some folks didn't handle their disappointment at all well, though...)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    jonsills said:

See, Spar, that was the problem. It wasn't "planned" content. They talked about things they'd like to do, and folks (not pointing fingers here, y'all know who you were) insisted that every item discussed was a hard-and-fast promise, and flamed the devs whenever something didn't work out. (Remember Victorian London? I really wish that one had come through, but I understood when it didn't, and was happy that at least some of the assets created got worked into the Queen City arc. Some folks didn't handle their disappointment at all well, though...)

^ This right here is why I keep calling our current batch of Devs brave.
  • Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited October 2015

Yea, who would be upset over planned content that was inadvertently dropped because they pulled all our devs to go save another one of their titles, again, as if we didn't need the help either. I mean, that's total lunacy there.

Well saving the other game(s) saved the company, there would be no CO without Star Trek Online's tens thousands of players and Neverwinter had over seven million in China alone at one point.

• Options
    edited October 2015

I dunno what In Design Discussion means to you, but to me that means planning. Future, I can let pass, but you still can't deny the absolute fact that features and designs that were slated for this game, that are now being used by STO and Neverwinter, that have still yet to be even put into Champions, is quite egregious. You know, like the Foundry. The thing we were suppose to get second after STO, but then it was pushed back because they were retooling it for Neverwinter and we would get it right after Neverwinter launched, cross the devs hearts and they swear, and wow, once Neverwinter launched they stopped talking about it all together. Hell, if you even mention the Foundry the devs go extra silent or act like the question was never asked many times lately when it comes to Champions.

And let's also not forget that how things are pitched to us (On Alert for example) is not how the final is delivered. The way On Alert was pitched was vastly different from the lobby room experience we get now and sounded like it would have had more dynamic world events designed around being a super hero. How about more planned hideout styles than what we had? Or do you think that hideouts just didn't sell well enough for them to consider other styles, because I own all but the moon bases personally, and a lot of people seem to have bought the penthouse at the very least. And I hate to jump on the band wagon but what about the planned feature updates for hideouts? Then there are Super Group HQs... something that was talked about as coming after Hideouts, but we don't get yet not only did STO get them but Neverwinter has them now. Or how about the improved chat functionality that both Neverwinter and STO have (and STO even has the option of creating a second chat box, something we asked for since before launch).

There's nothing to see Jon. You want to be apologetic and bury your head in the sand, that's fine. But there was way more in planning than you make it out to be.

Well saving the other game(s) saved the company, there would be no CO without Star Trek Online's tens thousands of players and Neverwinter had over seven million in China alone at one point.

Yea, remember the promises we got when they shifted ALL our devs over to Star Trek Online then did it again with Neverwinter. "Don't worry guys, this is only temporary as we need to get these games out the door." Saving the company is one thing but leaving Champions to constantly languish, and the burst in popularity for one day proves it, people are not seeing anything new or significant to come back for. And replacing old faces with new faces is not a win either. It's a gain of zero. In fact if the population goes down then it's a net loss. And we are coming close to loss levels. It's cost Champions it's player base, and now, evidently, any potential future it might have had other than scraping together basic assets to try and form something new.​​
    Post edited by championshewolf on
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    At this point I'd say either

1. Buy 2-3 50% discounted FF slots or
    2. Buy 1 FF slot and have alts behind a subscription for the months you actually play more.

Updates come few and far between so you can take 6-12 month breaks and come back to catch up fairly quickly.
  • Options
    I don't ever want to discuss dinner plans with you, Spar. You'll swear up and down later that I promised we were going to eat at Julianito's and Burger King and the Waffle House and just pick something up at the store and cook at my place.

"In Discussion" means "we're talking about stuff, here's some ideas that might be cool", not "cross my heart and pinkie-swear, all this stuff is coming to pass guaranteed". See, one of the reasons I didn't call you out above was because I couldn't remember if you were one of the people who ruined the UNTIL Reports for us. Thanks for reminding me.

• Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    I remember urging Cryptic/Atari folks to no talk about potentially upcomming stuff that hadn't even made it to PTS, simply because some people can't figure out that "We're thinking about doing [X]" does NOT mean "[X] will happen next patch. Guaranteed!"
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I don't ever want to discuss dinner plans with you, Spar. You'll swear up and down later that I promised we were going to eat at Julianito's and Burger King and the Waffle House and just pick something up at the store and cook at my place.

"In Discussion" means "we're talking about stuff, here's some ideas that might be cool", not "cross my heart and pinkie-swear, all this stuff is coming to pass guaranteed". See, one of the reasons I didn't call you out above was because I couldn't remember if you were one of the people who ruined the UNTIL Reports for us. Thanks for reminding me.

Yes, JonSills, keep burying your head in the sand, and keep making excuses. Ignore the facts or what has been actually said or has happened. And while you continue to make up anecdotal evidence, many of which can be called out on, it still won't change the facts.
    I remember urging Cryptic/Atari folks to no talk about potentially upcomming stuff that hadn't even made it to PTS, simply because some people can't figure out that "We're thinking about doing [X]" does NOT mean "[X] will happen next patch. Guaranteed!"

There's a large difference between what they are thinking about doing and things they've told us repeatedly were going to come to Champions in the future after it was iterated in game X. For instance, the Foundry. And there is a humongous difference between them telling us that things like the moving of our development team was only a temporary thing until project X was finished and came out. There is also a huge difference that we've had to watch over the years as people abandon Champions and then Cryptic keeps coming back to us and telling us "well Champions doesn't make enough money" after letting the game languish for years and people just abandoned the game out of frustration.

There is a huge difference of them telling us something then immediately abandoning it because the developers were moved to other projects. This isn't people pretending we were promised something, this is clear evidence of the intentional neglect and mishandling of this product and the few fans left on it have had to sit here and watch it rot away, and thinking that a small device change PvP item is some how going to cause an influx of new blood? There is a catch-22 involved, but a lot of fans have put huge faith and hope in the game, that maybe something will actually be done. It's pathetic that when people ask me about Champions the best answer I can give is "nothings changed really".

It's just sad how many people have basically given up at this point and want to just say it is the way it is.​​
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    There's also a long standing belief that Champions is viewed as a testing ground for new/bad ideas... this stems from the fact that nearly every update that has gone over "reasonably well" in Champions has since been implemented in a better and more complete format in STO &/or NW... add to that the fact that both NW & STO's forums & Twitter accounts get regular announcements from the devs and acknowledgment when there is a problem, whereas the only acknowledgement we get is a little note on the launcher... additionally funds were shifted from CO to help fund development of both STO & NW, & yet no funds will ever be shifted from STO or NW to help save CO...​​
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    raighn wrote: »
    There's also a long standing belief that Champions is viewed as a testing ground for new/bad ideas... this stems from the fact that nearly every update that has gone over "reasonably well" in Champions has since been implemented in a better and more complete format in STO &/or NW... add to that the fact that both NW & STO's forums & Twitter accounts get regular announcements from the devs and acknowledgment when there is a problem, whereas the only acknowledgement we get is a little note on the launcher... additionally funds were shifted from CO to help fund development of both STO & NW, & yet no funds will ever be shifted from STO or NW to help save CO...

There is quite a bit of evidence for that belief, such as the MC race. It was considered a success and later it was introduced into STO on their Risa resort as a surf board competition/race. There's a lot of cause and effect and many lines can be traced back to when things started going majorly south for Champions.​​
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    Yes. It is worth it.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    There are three answers to this.....

1) Yes
    2) No
    3)Perhaps
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    euthymiaeuthymia Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited October 2015

I dunno what In Design Discussion means to you, but to me that means planning. Future, I can let pass, but you still can't deny the absolute fact that features and designs that were slated for this game, that are now being used by STO and Neverwinter, that have still yet to be even put into Champions, is quite egregious. You know, like the Foundry. The thing we were suppose to get second after STO, but then it was pushed back because they were retooling it for Neverwinter and we would get it right after Neverwinter launched, cross the devs hearts and they swear, and wow, once Neverwinter launched they stopped talking about it all together. Hell, if you even mention the Foundry the devs go extra silent or act like the question was never asked many times lately when it comes to Champions.

And let's also not forget that how things are pitched to us (On Alert for example) is not how the final is delivered. The way On Alert was pitched was vastly different from the lobby room experience we get now and sounded like it would have had more dynamic world events designed around being a super hero. How about more planned hideout styles than what we had? Or do you think that hideouts just didn't sell well enough for them to consider other styles, because I own all but the moon bases personally, and a lot of people seem to have bought the penthouse at the very least. And I hate to jump on the band wagon but what about the planned feature updates for hideouts? Then there are Super Group HQs... something that was talked about as coming after Hideouts, but we don't get yet not only did STO get them but Neverwinter has them now. Or how about the improved chat functionality that both Neverwinter and STO have (and STO even has the option of creating a second chat box, something we asked for since before launch).

There's nothing to see Jon. You want to be apologetic and bury your head in the sand, that's fine. But there was way more in planning than you make it out to be.

Yea, remember the promises we got when they shifted ALL our devs over to Star Trek Online then did it again with Neverwinter. "Don't worry guys, this is only temporary as we need to get these games out the door." Saving the company is one thing but leaving Champions to constantly languish, and the burst in popularity for one day proves it, people are not seeing anything new or significant to come back for. And replacing old faces with new faces is not a win either. It's a gain of zero. In fact if the population goes down then it's a net loss. And we are coming close to loss levels. It's cost Champions it's player base, and now, evidently, any potential future it might have had other than scraping together basic assets to try and form something new.​​

I wish I could like this post, but I can't. I guess I'll just quote it for truth instead.

EDIT: This horrible forum system doesn't like quotes inside quotes, so I had to cut them.
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    sterga said:

LTS = $300

Here's the best answer you can get out of the thread OP.
  • Options
    euthymiaeuthymia Posts: 108 Arc User

sterga said:

LTS = $300

Here's the best answer you can get out of the thread OP.
    I see no point in making 16 FF characters to play the same content over and over and over and over again.

Hell it's barely worth playing a second character through it.

• Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    That's the beauty of being human. Everyone is different!

I personally have like 80 characters and I know people with a lot more. For some of us, our characters are our content.​​
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options

I personally have like 80 characters and I know people with a lot more. For some of us, our characters are our content.

Well said... running on ~46 my self... and I still have ideas for builds left... granted I'm starting to run low and doubt I'll ever reach 80 like you fox-20.gif​​
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options

I personally have like 80 characters and I know people with a lot more. For some of us, our characters are our content.​​

38 at the moment. One of these days I'm going to have to grit my teeth and get Short Circuit and the Duck Knight up those last couple of levels so I can get more slots...

• Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    There's also the additional plus with a LTS that it unlocks all Gold features permanently that compliment those characters, while FF slots on their own don't enjoy those benefits if it were a silver account.
  • Options

Well, I have, like.. 14 characters at 40, so yeah, some of us have the desire to play through the content that many times.

I have far morethan those 14.. I'm on, like, three full pages of characters now. I'm just lazy about getting to 40.

Your not alone in that... just filled my 3rd page recently.. still have 3 more empty slots... and nearing 40 # 14 myself...
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    I only have one page of characters and when I play them I avoid the majority of the game's content and only play alerts and occasionally AP/CSs. So yeah, playing the same content over and over is okay if you're having fun. u3u

When you buy LTS, you're not paying for the "world content" anyway, you already had that for free. u3u