test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Onslaught Token

Ok so I know what the Villain Tokens get you and what the Guardian Tokens get you, but what the heck do the Onsluaght Tokens get you I don't see anything in the Onslaught store for them, they say they can buy you a villain but you can only buy those with guardian tokens, so what can you buy with them and where can you use them?

Comments

• biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    When you unlock a villain permanently (through the use of Guardian Tokens) you'll need an Onslaught token to use them.
    biffsig.jpg
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Onslaught tokens are useless until you buy an onslaught unlock, at which point you can spend one of them to buy a transform device (same as the ones you get from the daily mission, it's just a bonus use. When/if they add new villains, it should also allow playing those new villains).

This is poorly explained, I only know because of experimenting on pts.
    Subscribers get one free consumable token per day (they don't stack, only last 30 minutes in your inventory). You can unlock the villain so that you can play them as many times as you want per day, but you'll need an Onslaught token to do so, which you buy with Guardian tokens or Questionite.

Silvers don't get the free consumable, so the only way for them to be a villain is to grind up the Guardian tokens necessary to buy one of the villain unlocks (or buy them from other players/auction house).
    biffsig.jpg

I'm still.. less than clear how this works re: unlocks.I can use all three of the OVs already, is that not the case for Silvers?

You can use all three of them once per day, when you take the mission (which is Gold-only). You cannot, however, simply buy onslaught devices from the vendor. Once you have unlocked a given villain, you can then spend an onslaught token to buy an onslaught device from the vendor; this allows playing multiple times per day (you can do this even if Silver).

For a Gold player, I cannot see a strong real reason to bother (there's a weak reason -- Villain tokens are BoP, not BoA -- but farming tokens without the mission seems like a deadly bore), at least until they add new villains, since you can just cycle between alts; I doubt I'll want to play enough times per day to run out of alts.
    You can get lots of villain tokens in one run as a villain. Being able to do it more than once per day will help you get all the unlockable powers and stuff a lot quicker.
    biffsig.jpg
  • gaarafrednorrispgaarafrednorrisp Posts: 504 Arc User
    It's only 1000. Which I got in about an hour.

Or you can use 1000Q... which you can get in even less time thanks to Alert Dailies.
    AWWWW CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE! DON'T YOU DARE. BE SOUR. CLAP FOR YOUR NIGHTMARE AND FEEEEEEEEEEEL THE POWAAAAAAH!
    The Unlocks are to have unlimited access BEYOND the 1 a Day for each villain and require and Onslaught Token to be used.

HOWEVER, from the Lockbox there is an item that can drop which gives you that unlock ( think it's all 3 of them too) for free so all you ever have to worry about is the Onslaught Tokens.
    AWWWW CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE! DON'T YOU DARE. BE SOUR. CLAP FOR YOUR NIGHTMARE AND FEEEEEEEEEEEL THE POWAAAAAAH!

Ah yes, double unlocks.

I reiterate.. really, PWE?

Chinese Scumlords, ho!

That's probably the most asinine thing I've heard from you in a while.

A grind like this is VERY common in MMOs nowadays and was, in some ways, pioneered by WoW. Grind for an item that you use to gain another item that helps you get to the SUPER item. In this case, instead of doing a single instance for hours and hours every single day you're just fighting some people for maybe 2-3 hours a day if you want to go slow.

In WoW it's Normal Dungeons for around a week until you get the best iLvL to let you into Heroic dungeons (or take much longer to craft heroic level gear without setting foot in an instance... MUCH longer), then doing them for around a month (give or take if you get lucky or not), to get the pre-raid gear.. then doing RAIDS progression style which can be anywhere from 2-5 days a week depending on the guild until you get fully geared from them.. and going up in difficulty level once you have enough people geared in the guild.

OR if you want to go the GW2 route, doing nearly impossible challenges for super gear that may never drop and is on an RNG table. OR taking potentially months to craft a full set of Draconians.

IOW. There is a grind. Suck it up, this is a fact of all MMOs since the beginning of time. CoH had Incarnates, Ultima had dungeon plundering and crafting, and CO has had a system like this since On Alert with the Vigilante gear. You have to grind. EVEN if you just want to spend G to get legion's gear, you have to grind that G. No one's giving you anything for no work. Suck it up.
  • corniviccornivic Posts: 199 Arc User
    It's seem like to much work... I only got 40 villains tokens. It would be better if the tokens were shared across all Alts.

So, I need one Onslaught Token to use a device that I also have to buy with more tokens that are a pain to get. I got 250 Guardian Tokens.... Just seem like to much work. The villains aren't easy to kill, they aren't really that fun to fight or even play. I can't even use any powers I want, only like 3 of them, even though I have like 8 of them....
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User

Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends

I don't care what's 'normal' or 'happens in WoW

Scummy Suit Behavior is Scummy Suit Behavior, and should be shamed, condemned, and lambasted whenever a Suit tries it. Otherwise, they'll get the idea that such scumbaggery is actually acceptable.

I gave $300 for a LTS, so quite frankly?

F*CK YOUR GRIND.

Send that sh*t back to Asia where its welcome. It ain't welcome here.

And if you can't understand why "grind to unlock it, then grind again to use it" is a shoddy, scumbag practice that needs shot in the face... you're lost to the world of corporate filth.

World of difference between that and the grind for Justice/Vigilante gear, since J /V gear is entirely superfluous and a bragging rights reward in all but name.

Yes, Doctor. We have a serious case of the Entitleds.
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Seems like the way the system is structured, it has a focus on getting people to spend their questionite and to hopefully buy more with the ZEN-Q exchange, but the pay-off doesn't sound that great to me considering that I don't get to play my own custom villain. Customization is supposed to be the game's best selling point, so just letting players use premade villains is going against that and feels generic. It's the same reason why I don't understand the appeal of Become devices.

I would try being a playable villain once in a while and it could be fun for a bit, but I don't see this as a huge draw for me personally.

Ah that's cute, the troll called me a name and thinks I care.

Adorable.

Because people who disagree with you are trolls.

It doesn't matter how much you paid. You have to do the same grind as everyone else if you want the Villain gear. If you don't want it, GRATS. You don't have to do it. And if you want to pull the "I paid blahbitty blah" card, I subbed for exactly 2 years and 3 months. $405 dollars spent, not including a few zen care packages because I wanted certain costume sets. Therefore, by your logic, my opinion is greater than yours. So if you don't like grinding then either accept your current gear and unlockables, or stop playing MMOs all together because it is a STAPLE of the genre and has been since Ultima Online first opened in 97. And AMERICAN game made by AMERICANS.
    edited September 2015
    You're right, how silly of me. It wasn't here befo-

..oh wait, what's this? "UNITY"? Huh.. some sort of mission hub with dailies that gives special recog. And look, this recog can be used to buy gear! Why this gear is better than anything you'd get doing normal missions.

And what's this? Gear gotten from farming Rampages, a process which could take months? My god.. AND LOOK! Some that you get from Nemesis tokens and would take a good deal of farming missions.

Oh but this had to be added with On Alert. No way that-

What? Why UNITY used to have special gear anyway? And it took an inexorbant amount of time to get even one? Huh. And look, Hero Games had the same thing! And some of these even needed perks to even be able to buy.

It's.. it's almost as if the grind has always been there in varying forms.

Now good day, sir.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,425 Arc User
    Gotta say I'm surprised this thread hasn't been shut down.​​
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    I said good day.
  • darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    edited September 2015

Ah yes, double unlocks.

I reiterate.. really, PWE?

Chinese Scumlords, ho!

That's probably the most asinine thing I've heard from you in a while.

A grind like this is VERY common in MMOs nowadays and was, in some ways, pioneered by WoW. Grind for an item that you use to gain another item that helps you get to the SUPER item. In this case, instead of doing a single instance for hours and hours every single day you're just fighting some people for maybe 2-3 hours a day if you want to go slow.

In WoW it's Normal Dungeons for around a week until you get the best iLvL to let you into Heroic dungeons (or take much longer to craft heroic level gear without setting foot in an instance... MUCH longer), then doing them for around a month (give or take if you get lucky or not), to get the pre-raid gear.. then doing RAIDS progression style which can be anywhere from 2-5 days a week depending on the guild until you get fully geared from them.. and going up in difficulty level once you have enough people geared in the guild.

OR if you want to go the GW2 route, doing nearly impossible challenges for super gear that may never drop and is on an RNG table. OR taking potentially months to craft a full set of Draconians.

IOW. There is a grind. Suck it up, this is a fact of all MMOs since the beginning of time. CoH had Incarnates, Ultima had dungeon plundering and crafting, and CO has had a system like this since On Alert with the Vigilante gear. You have to grind. EVEN if you just want to spend G to get legion's gear, you have to grind that G. No one's giving you anything for no work. Suck it up.
    actually the way they set it up is unclear and a bit silly. They could have gone with a more dead simple system.

At the very least put proper documentation IN the FREAKING game.

Documentation in game was something Cryptic was terrible at when they ran COH/COV.

They still are.
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    You mean I gotta play the game to get the new stuff!?

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo!!!!

You don't have to grind anywhere near as much for Unity

He was talking about original Unity, which was something like 6 tokens a day for things that cost at thousand tokens.

The fact that it is no longer present should show how good an idea it was, then.

It's no longer present because On Alert removed all legacy gear, not because of any judgment about its quality.

It's still gone, whereas Silver Recog is not, and prices are much lower.

Telling.

Silver Recog did not exist before On Alert. In practice, the Unity gear system was largely abandoned when they introduced difficulty scaling in adventure packs (difficulty-scaled blues were better than anything you could get from Unity), but that just introduced a new sort of grind, where people would run adventure pack segments (typically one of the bunkers in Serpent Lantern) again and again, hoping the RNG would spit out the perfect item.

All MMOs have grinds. In the end, if you want people to keep playing a game (instead of "okay, I've won, done now"), you have a few choices:
    • Put out an unending stream of new content. No MMO, not even WoW, manages this.
    • Add compelling randomized content. I've never seen an MMO manage this, though it's what keeps people playing some solo games.
    • RP (RPers create their own content). This requires suitable RP tools, and tends to suffer when the graphics get too dated.
    • PvP (PvPers create their own content). This requires actually interesting and balanced PvP.
    • Grinds, either collection-based or RNG-based.

And what does any of that have to do with the bullsh*t that is double-unlocks?

They're grinds. Nothing more, nothing less. The old crafted travel power system involved something like triple or quadruple unlocks.
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    The game is going to change and is changing right now. There really is no way out of it. Either you accept that it's changing or take a break until things calm down. But it's obvious PWI wants to grow the game. Some even suspect they want to take it to consoles, like the Xbox. In it's current state, that's not possible.

So yes, we all got used to CO being our private little playground. PWI ignored the game and let that happen. However, now they are not ignoring the game. I guess the moral of the story is, "be careful what you ask for. You just might get it."

The game needs to be profitable.. it also needs to have standard MMO stuff to do in it. We're going to have to suck it up or quit.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
This discussion has been closed.