test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What's your first opinions of Onslaught

pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
edited September 2015 in Champions Online Discussion
Obviously, it may take a while to fully shake out, but what are your initial impressions?

What's your first opinions of Onslaught 95 votes

Love it
8%
itsbrou#5396biffsmackwellladygadflyspinnytopkamokamipallas0001nacito#6758tvirx 8 votes
Like it, but it could do with some additional work.
40%
iamrunesilverowl99sannia1tigerofcachticejonsillspantagruel01flyingfinnriveroceanealford1985bluegrassbeastreiwulfkintecokemmicalsjaazaniah1royalflvshdeadman20stellariodragongaarafrednorrispganomemaftet 38 votes
Has potential, but needs a lot of additional work.
36%
aiqaanimalgirl95championshewolfdraognbazodeecrypticbuxomchaelkkaiserin#0958bluhmannbkxsquasimojo1cyroneaschershadowansemthedarkgradiisanmercimerloiderchaosdrgnz43fxdb10sigmaseven0 35 votes
Not to my tastes, but don't care.
14%
fusteriuskraylokchsanguineviperstratluverbringmeaslabnarf#9213rianfrostrovenzard#5737neuraldamageroughbearmattachdocarcusdicesnakesammiefightercrabbycabby 14 votes

Comments

• pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Ugh, I had some additional options and I can't edit it now.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Posts: 447 Arc User
    My opinion would actually be a combination of your 2nd and 3rd option. I like it, but how much work is needed will take some time to see, based on testing.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    Love it
    ...but it could do with some additional work.
    biffsig.jpg
  • kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,077 Cryptic Developer
    I like the idea a lot, but there are a lot of problems that are keeping me from enjoying it currently.

There are a bunch of bugs/exploits that were not addressed, the rewards need work, and I'm starting to think that making this a queueable alert might have been a better idea. It will become difficult in the future to find fights, and it would be a lot easier to balance the villains when you have a set number of players.​​
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    Ambivalent.

It's fun to beat up on each other en mass. But as a non-tank melee toon, I essentially end up getting crushed.
    Using Sword Cyclone when under the spinny power effect is entertaining for the few seconds it last before dying.
    Not having anything terribly interesting to spend Hero Tokens on means they'll be pilling up in my inventory.
    Needing to be a villain to get anything cool is meh. Nothing terribly interesting to spend villain tokens on though.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Yep, I was having serious issues keeping up with any villains as my melee hero. You can't nail them to the ground, knock them or pull them.. so they just jump around. I ended up working incredibly hard to reach ground zero of their mega-attacks. Yay! Melee wins again!
    Post edited by vonqball on
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Love it

...but it could do with some additional work.

Exactly the option I was thinking I would rather have xD
    Love it
    vonqball said:

Yep, I was having serious issues keeping up with any villains as my melee hero. You can't nail them to the ground, knock them or pull them.. so they just jump around. I was ended up working incredibly hard to reach ground zero of their mega-attacks. Yay! Melee wins again!

I was really hoping they would neuter villain movement for exactly this reason. Someone with millions of HP doesn't also need to be able to kite o3o
    Love it
    Yup, that's why if a villain gets too jumpy, I hop on my Skyfox. Good thing they just gave out free vehicles, too.
    biffsig.jpg
    Love it

spinnytop said:

vonqball said:

Yep, I was having serious issues keeping up with any villains as my melee hero. You can't nail them to the ground, knock them or pull them.. so they just jump around. I was ended up working incredibly hard to reach ground zero of their mega-attacks. Yay! Melee wins again!

I was really hoping they would neuter villain movement for exactly this reason. Someone with millions of HP doesn't also need to be able to kite o3o
    It can be a serious issue. Melee'rs are just about hopeless if the OVs put their mind to it.
    Well don't worry, when I play a villain I don't run around cause I'm not interested in making anyone's experience a big ol' pain in the butt just cause they play melee. Sure it'll mean I die somewhat sooner, but I'm okay with that.

Except when I need to get my onslaught points for the quest, then I'm gonna bounce around all sorts of crazy like in a bee-line for that point. That's actually the hardest part of this whole event.
    Love it
    I like to do a little bit of jumping around, just to change the scenery now and then. But I don't kite melee unless I'm doing what spinny said, going for the Onslaught Targets.
    biffsig.jpg
  • kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    I'm really digging it. I kinda wish the prices were a little bit lower, but it's otherwise super fun.

Also gives me the chance to beat up Smackwell on even grounds... even though everyone runs after me once they notice I have an offensive passive.
    Love it
    Don't pick on me!!!

Just kiddin', bring it on!

Once I get my Grond I'll be doing more villainous stuffs.
    biffsig.jpg
  • kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    I'm Miss Behavin. I pick on everyone.
  • tigerofcachticetigerofcachtice Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I like it, but it could do with some additional work, but it won't just be on the Devs' side. It's also from the players' side.

Over the next few days, weeks, months, the players will develop new builds, tactics, strategies to play as and against Onslaught Villains. I compare it to how we initially organised ourselves with Fire and Ice and the Mechanon event.

I believe the Devs are watching us as they work, seeing how we play the basic stuff before they add the next layer. That actually makes sense, I like this incremental, gradual, adaptive design philosophy, reacting to us as we react to them.

But fundamentally, I really like this idea. It's like how Tumerboy created the Powerhouse Theatre, then we kinda went crazy with it, regulated ourselves. This is Player Controlled Dynamic Event content. We've yet to see the best to come.

--- EDITED DUE TO SUBSEQUENT THOUGHTS ---

I'm keeping an open mind, as I do believe it's early days yet, but I have 2 things to say:
    1. Melee seems disadvantageous - due to Gravitar's "spin me right round" move. I can still use ranged attacks while riding this vomit comet, but reckon it's tough for melee.
    2. Thanks to whoever was healing me - when I was tanking 2 Gronds and a Medusa while I was playing as A.R.N.I.E. Sorry I have no idea who it was, everything was green and pink and moving.
    Post edited by tigerofcachtice on
    Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
    More action at Champions Online Comics @ http://co-comics.webs.com
  • kraylokchkraylokch Posts: 3 Arc User
    Don't Like this.

I don't want to do PVP, and just constantly getting one-shotted as I wander around minding my own business, again and again is NOT FUN.

Put this stuff in a zone of its own or give me a non PVP flag please
  • xrazamaxxrazamax Posts: 979 Arc User
    I have liked onslaught from the beginning, but I think even the devs know there are tons of things about it that needs to be fixed. Somethings are more serious than others, but not so much so that this is breaking the game.

They should have fixed some of the bigger stuff (like getting tagged when you don't want to participate) before releasing it so some people don't get a bad impression of it, but overall I think people like it.
  • squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User
    I'm not opposed in theory, but the implementation is terrible.
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    kraylokch said:

Don't Like this.

I don't want to do PVP, and just constantly getting one-shotted as I wander around minding my own business, again and again is NOT FUN.

Put this stuff in a zone of its own or give me a non PVP flag please

You won't be targeted unless you attack. If you've been hurt without launching an attack on an Onslaught villain, it's a bug. The flag is essentially the default condition.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • xrazamaxxrazamax Posts: 979 Arc User
    Yes, once they get those bugs fixed it will be more, "Oh look at that cool supervillain fight over there!" and less, "Oh god there is a supervillain fight over there!"

Hopefully they patch things up before the more exploit-ish ways of tagging people are discovered by the community at large.

You won't be targeted unless you attack. If you've been hurt without launching an attack on an Onslaught villain, it's a bug. The flag is essentially the default condition.

Well, not necessarily. If I'm hosing down the Purple Gang with an SMG and a villain gets in the middle of it, I'll wind up flagged, and that seems to be working as designed (if it didn't do that, there are a variety of other exploits available).

My biggest concern is that it lacks any real faction balancing mechanism, and it gets unfun if the ratio of heroes to villains is too far off in either direction.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    I pointed that out in the first thread;

stand on the way of their AOE attacks.
    stand right next to them while in melee.

you'll get hit eventually and they are now targetable​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • bazodeebazodee Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I tried it cause I want those powers and AFs, and I have to admit it was fun for about for about an hour.

1) The kiting started and I got tired chasing villains who run all over. Some level of "come over here" power would be nice. And I even saw one player state Medusa is going to be his go-to kiting villain.
    2) I'm not sure how the villain tokens work cause I know I've damaged at least 3 villains in one area, when one flies away, I attack the other one in the area, and so on but only one registers. Does that mean I'm only supposed to stick to one villain?
    3) I saw a player lanced by Medusa at the agent. Don't think he was AFK, cause he let out a "WTF".
    4) And why do we only get XP for handing in the recon mission to the agent?

Honestly, I'm going to try for the powers and action figures (woohoo, I like those) then leave it alone.
    I don't like Sigs, but I'll leave this here anyway. At least I'm not to trying to hypnotise you with moving things!
    Love it
    1. Getting kited sucks. If you're melee, sadly you have to use a vehicle to keep up. Try to beef up any vehicle you have, and then pop out of it when the villain stops being so jumpy.

Yeah it sucks, but to be honest, making me get in my vehicle puts me in the mindset of "just do strafing runs" (not the power) on them. Swoop in, lay down some Incendiary Rounds, fly up out of reach, and reload/heal. This way I'm set for my tokens and the Villain has a much lower chance of getting Villain tokens off of me. From where I sit, it makes more sense for them to not kite me, because I'll happily stick around and get clobbered by them if they just stick around and fight.

2. You're not ever tagged to just one villain. Fight as many as you want; one, three, seven, you'll get credit for all of them when they're lowered in health and when they are defeated.

3. Some powers are bugged and can flag players for Onslaught play. It can happen, and it sucks, and hopefully it will be fixed.
    biffsig.jpg
  • dicesnakedicesnake Posts: 51 Arc User
    I absolutely love how there's no ''HATE IT'' option....please create a poll with unbiased options.
  • marilythmarilyth Posts: 1 Arc User
    My biggest problem (and it's a very big one, in my opinion) is that an Onslaught event can render an area impossible to play in. At mid and upper levels, I have the option of going elsewhere, but for low-level characters, there aren't a lot of options, and it's just not fun being a level 6 who's getting killed by collateral damage from 4-6 Gronds and Gravitars throwing down. Even if you manage to survive that, try finding a mission-related mob that's still standing. Maybe the OV events could be moved out of the lowest level zones to give starter characters a remote chance of progressing?
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I'm surprisly enjoy it for now, but the flaws and EXPLOITS are indeed Obvious to spot! and Gravitar's Gravity Well is SUPER throw up friendly
    Also I can see myself getting bored really fast for Grinding for Villain Tokens, the Onslaugh Store prices are HORRIBLE! It feels that the whole farming is hopeless

I'm really happy that they also allowed the Daily with the Become on players who bought FreeForm Slot as well (but only with the FF character, NO ATs) it's a REALLY generous move and I appreciate it! onion-40.gif
    Features like that makes the FF slot's Full price almost worth it... almost

Unfortenly I will have to farm for Villain Tokens with ONLY and only 1 character... I see no point doing it with multiply characters since the tokens are bound

It doesn't help that the Daily for Destroying onslaugh targets around the city is obnoxious! The NPCs take forever to spawn

I want this darn Lance Rain!
    The gear is crap, not even gonna bother​​
    Post edited by avianos on
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    dicesnake said:

I absolutely love how there's no ''HATE IT'' option....please create a poll with unbiased options.

I hit return at the wrong time and it wouldn't let me go back and edit the poll; I intended to include an option for "I hate it".
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    It has potential, but not really my cup of tea. Placing the Onslaught Vendor and Targets near lowbie areas is just plain sadistic. Those poor lowbies get trampled over and over. Also, other than the 3 power unlocks, there's nothing in the Onslaught Store I'd like to buy. The primary Onslaught gear shouldn't even have heirloom bonus since majority are already lv40. The secondary Onslaught despite having glove enhancements, aren't worth the tokens because it does not give +SS like all secondaries do. I'm pretty surprised they released that as it is. Oh, wait...no I don't.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • hasukurobihasukurobi Posts: 405 Arc User
    It is decently fun but there are some issues. It is not particularly fun having to fight many different Super Villains all in one spot that basically are working together. Maybe allow them to hurt each other more potently?

It is annoying as the Villain to get to your targets due to long CD on travel power. Also it is silly looking that all of them sort of super jump. It is also annoying accidentally coming across spawn turrets as your Villain and being blasted. Can't they fail to shoot you until after you have attacked in their range?

It can get pretty dull having to run down a Super Villain who does not want to fight, especially when no control powers really work.
  • fusteriusfusterius Posts: 2 Arc User
    Yuk. Another doomed PVP system in a PVE game.

The players wanted to play thier supervillains against 'good guy' PvE quests, but we get a system where we must play, and presumably 'lern tu git gud at', thier supervillains against other players. Dreadful.

When the novelty wears off this one goes in the dustbin with Hero Games.
  • deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I do like Onslaught, but I sorta wish those Spawn Turrets had better Aggro and Attack Range on them to better deter spawncamping... and a way to Brickbust those "Unkillable" builds.​​
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

• xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    I've had fun with it so far, haven't encountered any of the issues others people are complaining about yet but I hope it all gets fixed.
  • bringmeaslabbringmeaslab Posts: 187 Arc User
    My opinion would probably be more strongly negative than this, were such an option available. I'd just dismiss Onslaught as "Meh, PvP, whatever," if there weren't new powers attached. I'd love to have them for playing with in freeform builds, but it looks like I'd have to do A LOT of something I haven't enjoyed so far to unlock them. I don't like the idea of powers in lockboxes, but I'd still much prefer it to any more new powers having to be earned through PvP.
  • Where's the "I wish I could enjoy it but I don't think my PC could handle it." option? :no_mouth:
    [ @Skaargoroth in-game / @summerfields on the Forums ]
    Current character roaster: The Iconica, Lady Mythica, Black Jackal, Omni-Woman, Fantomask
    Currently waiting for: Moar comics! And maybe City of Titans, too. Hopefully!
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    I wish the poll had more options.
    My only interest in Onslaught is that I need to grind the hell out of it to get the unlockable powers. Once I have done that, I will never play it again. Considering the slow place of getting tokens, and the massive amounts I need, it will seem like I really like playing Onslaught, since I'll focus on it for some time. With the third power unlocked, I will be done with Onslaught.

Also, the mass of people fighting in the new toon area is just an unacceptable mess for new toons, especially new players.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    I have to agree there are a number of problems with it, but overall I like it.
    1. first fix the bugs and give players a proper self flag ability instead of auto flag.
    2. next, better document and explain the process of Hero Tokens, Villian Tokens and Onslaught Tokens.
    3. and make those tokens currencies rather than items in inventory, tradable to our alts in the Hideout.
    4. then do something about the lackluster rewards.
    5. and do something about mass villain clusters.
    I get that this sort of thing can be tough to balance. Maybe a custom alert thing with a defined number of hero players and villains would have been better as @kaizerin suggested, but may I suggest for the moment, a stacking Damage Debuff on villains within a certain distance of one another that only affect the damage they deal to heroes? It should be a weak debuff at first, getting exponentially stronger as the number of villains in the same vicinity increases.

This way if they cluster together for teamwork a few at a time it's fine, but as more players pop onto villains and snipe at heroes from the sidelines by surprise [a popular tactic on Grav and Medusa I've seen and been annoyed by], the damage debuff would get stronger and stronger until it would be better for them to split into at least two smaller clusters of villains.

I don't really know what would be a fair debuff value but maybe;
    • 10% at three villains
    • 25% at four,
    • 50% at five
    • 70% at six
    or more villains clustered in one area?

I'd say just two villains working together probably don't warrant a debuff.
    iamrune said:

I get that this sort of thing can be tough to balance. Maybe a custom alert thing with a defined number of hero players and villains would have been better as @kaizerin suggested, but may I suggest for the moment, a stacking Damage Debuff on villains within a certain distance of one another that only affect the damage they deal to heroes?

Problem is that it's not really simple enough to say "X villains together are problematic". Four villains when you've got four heroes is a problem; four villains when you've got twelve heroes is much less so, and two against twelve should probably buff the villains.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,582 Arc User
    The content lacked an environment developer.​​
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    It's terrible.
    Go up to a big fight, 5.1 surround sound, no sound effects, big old Grond throwing debris, ninja quiet, several Gravitars doing something super silently.

The combat is just a big hot steaming mess of character names.
    Then its a repeat of enter combat, hold down the 3 key, die before the first full use of a sustain attack.
    Respawn, repeat.
    50% health loss before I was out of the respawn circle, nice.
    Just watched 8 people die inside of the respawn.
    Guy next to me at 10% health as soon as he spawned.

From the level six guy getting murdered trying to talk to Kodiak "What the hell?"

This was CO's big chance to make a good impression, the most players they have had online in four years and it fell flat.

Look where they put the Onslaught Agent, in a back alley like trash.
    Post edited by nextnametaken on
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I very much like Onslaught Update, in fact, I love it.

It's nice to get a feel for what it's like to be an Open World boss and to also encourage players to group together and fight off a threat.

But there are areas which I think require work:

- The divorcing of player and Onslaught powers SFX is necessary, so that I don't sound like Medusa or Gravitar when I use Mind Break/Lance Rain or Gravitic Ripple/Force Cascade.

- Repel Immunity for Onslaught SV's would be useful.

- Death via Onslaught Supervillain, in addition to what it currently does, should result in the following:

*Immunity to Onslaught Supervillain damage for the duration of the buff (equally whilst the buff is active Onslaught Supervillains do not qualify as valid targets for players).

*Total wipe of "Battling Supervillains" status, meaning that players will have to fulfil conditions for Battling Supervillain status again to participate.

- Onslaught Vendor in Westside needs to be moved from his current location to closer to Purple Reign mission or Cobra Lords/Westside Prison, to allow for the newbie area to be less congested with Onslaught villains constantly fighting. (An alternative would be to reward Onslaught Supervillains with X Villain Tokens every X minutes for travelling to & remaining in specific areas in MC with heavy focus on Downtown/City Centre & Furthest parts of Westside.)

- As mentioned multiple times in the PTS threads...Gravitar's debuff needs toning down (in terms of the effect it has on player movement, the spinning is waaay too much) or a slight rework to stop it being such a pain. Most players don't have the time or desire to keep track of debuffs on other players in order to avoid them.

- Onslaught Villain and Guardian Tokens need to be bound to account so that they can be placed in shared hideouts.

- Levelling as an Onslaught Supervillain should not cause you to switch factions (become friendly). I'd also consider upping the Level requirement for participating in the events.

- I'd also like to see a return of more Onslaught Points of Interest (for villains and heroes), the UNTIL PA's and crews either need to appear at more locations OR need to respawn a lot faster.

- Player Specializations & Devices need to be switched OFF when in Onslaught Mode, so I don't heal for 150-270k or have defense penetration on my attacks or be able to summon dinosaurs or Nightmares whilst in Onslaught mode.

- I'd like to see the timer on these devices extended to 45 minutes
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Those Freaking DINOS man! Those Freaking Teleiosaurus Pheromones are driving me insane​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    edited September 2015
    avianos said:

Those Freaking DINOS man! Those Freaking Teleiosaurus Pheromones are driving me insane​​

There's a stupid UI feature in CO: there's a controls setting of "Target threatening enemies first", which defaults to true. What this actually means is that you target foes that have aggro towards you. Pets and NPCs have aggro scores, players do not, and therefore pets and NPCs get priority. Even without that pets are annoying, but nowhere near as annoying.
  • kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    Love it
    I love it! Sure it could use more work like a lot of other things, but I think it's already pretty awesome.

And the path to making it really great seems fairly straightforward.
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Second thoughts, playing grond was fun, but I feel this development cheats all the players who bought a super size device they could not use in combat. I don't want to play grond, as fun as that was for the few minutes it happened. I have 40 characters, I want to get 30 feet tall and mash the city with them and then get defeated and say "Oops, sorry, I'm cranky before I have my coffee", just like in the forums.

Most of the time my big Grond had one attack beside a power builder.
    The full power bar would appear briefly available and then go dark instantly.

Gravitar's attack sucks all the onslaught villains into her central area, creating a big ugly clump of onslaught villains titles and super hero titles. Looks horrible, and I already have everyone's health bars turned off and the damage spam turned off, so with the defaults on it must be ultra crappy.
    Why not give her a zero G lift power like that psi bubble hold that then slams everyone down in place?
    Without all the big bubbles, maybe tiny gravity bubbles around everyones feet or armpits would look nice.

Post edited by nextnametaken on
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    spinnytop wrote: »

I used a free token to get Medusa and immediately had someone in a vehicle at max range with stealth target me.
    your sign above your head gets in the way of targeting.
    auto target goes for the nearest mob.
    I got rid of them by ducking under things and getting them with the ranged attacks.

2 targets killed before I got killed.
    target a little guy in the barrucade, bomb the lot, then target the defender.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    The battle villains debuff probably persists through death for token gathering purposes. Onslaught is in westside to show off to new players. Both of these things are important mechanics. These solutions screw over actually getting people involved and earning tokens.

What about moving telios to the ravenwood academy area? Or by the fountain near the ramp leading to westside? Close enough that new players can see sh-- going down, far enough away not to get accidentally pwd by bugs. Even if they do die, the respawns are farther away and less likely to be camped. In addition, give respawn circles a dome stopping enemies, including onslaught villains, from entering, targeting, or attacking anyone inside. Conversely, no one I side can attack out either.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009