test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So when's a good time to switch to Windows 10?

I'm still on the fence of changing Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. Remembering the travesty known as Windows Vista and that the next "update" is not always the best in mind, not sure if I should switch to Windows 10. Is Windows 10 good for Champions Online? On logging in, playing the game and everything? Any technical issues going on with it?

Comments

• biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    I made the switch immediately and found nothing wrong with 10. As a matter of fact, my 5.1 surround speaker jacks on my laptop actually work now. So bonus!

I don't know if anything's running better, I do know nothing is running worse. Four year old "desktop replacer" laptop.
    biffsig.jpg
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Windows 10 allows you to revert back to the previous Windows 7 or 8 you had installed prior to the upgrade if things don't work out for you after the upgrade.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    got it, apart from having to update a driver specifically for windows 10. no problems.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    Windows 10 is an upgrade if you are on Win 7, unless your hardware is older than you legally should be using to try and run this game, that is (ie if your graphics card is not at least DirectX 11 compatible). Win10 has several handy features to that depending on how you play you can take advantage of.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    its actually not bad, kind of painless and so far havent had any problems opening anything, its funny to have this as a qualifier but its actually an improvement. now obviously aesthetics are subjective so i cant say its going to appeal to your aesthetic sensibilities. but for me, the functionality is marginally better.
  • deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    I loved Windows 10. I only swapped back to Windows 7 because of a couple of major issues, probably due to the PC being old.

The Start Menu and all of the Apps decided to off themselves, and shutting down would not turn off the machine.

Go ahead and make the switch if you can. If you don't like it or have problems, you can go back at any time within 30 days of making the switch. It's pretty painless, so go try it out.​​
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

• epeleskerepelesker Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I upgraded on day 1 and I haven't seen any problems on my stock computer from last year. Should be good to go.
    ----
    Heroic Roleplayer @epelesker | PRIMUS Database Moderator | Brigade Advocate
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    Linux user myself but on the my laptops I have upgraded my windows and its a pretty decent OP. Not as good as XP in my book but its comes a close second as far as windows goes.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    Pretty sure you have a whole year to decide. I'm waiting to see if there is any good development on a shell replacer before I put that abomination on my computer. I hate the way Windows looks and functions.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
    nepht wrote: »
    Linux user myself but on the my laptops I have upgraded my windows and its a pretty decent OP. Not as good as XP in my book but its comes a close second as far as windows goes.
    Your book was written in like 1850 and you still think faucets are too fancy :p​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Never?​​
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • rugrothrumborrugrothrumbor Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited September 2015

Windows 10 allows you to revert back to the previous Windows 7 or 8 you had installed prior to the upgrade if things don't work out for you after the upgrade.

Is that reverting like the way Windows XP was in Windows 7 or a complete restoration of a different OS?

​​ you still think faucets are too fancy

Toilet seats are also a sign of decadence -_-
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User

I made the switch immediately and found nothing wrong with 10. As a matter of fact, my 5.1 surround speaker jacks on my laptop actually work now. So bonus!

I don't know if anything's running better, I do know nothing is running worse. Four year old "desktop replacer" laptop.

I had monitor issues on one laptop ( it stopped detecting my big dumb plasma tv ) that were fixed by windows 10. Also all my computers start up in like 1 minute now... Im glad I switched right away. Also Cortana is neat... hey Cortana!
  • raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    asside from a multitude of issues during installation (that I honestly believe were due to my outdated motherboard) Win10 has been absolutely amazing for me.
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
  • thatguymatikzthatguymatikz Posts: 65 Arc User
    Honestly I upgraded on day one and everything is fine. Well, everything is fine on my main laptop that had 8.1. The laptop I have hooked up to the TV for streaming got rolled back to 7 but honestly that was because of the ancient video card that Nvidia doesn't even support anymore. My one roommate upgraded his 8.1 laptop as well which is lower end than mine and I haven't heard him having any issues.

Only major issue I've had is with Perfect World's own products ie. Perfect World/Forsaken World/Jade Dynasty. They apparently never bothered to make their client ready for Windows 10 and it has some annoying graphics issues because of it.
    The only issue I've had is that Nvidia Shadowplay doesn't work :I
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    I'm waiting for Cortana to become available in its non-hacked form in Canada. I figure by then, the kinks will be mostly worked out.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • kyastralkyastral Posts: 342 Arc User

Is that reverting like the way Windows XP was in Windows 7 or a complete restoration of a different OS?
    You only have 30 days to think about reverting back after you install it, and yes, it is like the XP/7 reverting, not a complete OS restore. Personally, I am happy with 8.1 because I can use Classic Shell to make the desktop look like Win 7 permanently (not a fan of the preschool moving tiles look). I dont like the way Win 10 looks and I wont be able to play my older games on it. It seems to me that Win 10 is for laptops, tablets, touchscreens, all-in-one computers and smartphones; not for a classic desktop and monitor, which I have.
  • dicesnakedicesnake Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I dropped Windows 10 like i dropped windows 8, back down to Windows 7. For the same reasons.

I like to run a lot of usermade/indie games, especially old OLD retro games and programs or other miscellaneous stuff, but Compatability is just not there. If youre running the most latest AAA games, and the latest most expensive software like Photoshop, you probably wont have any issues but support for very old titles is falling off.

I cant run Xcom, my old Ejays and Mugen Classic struggles. I cant even run Rise Of Nations (which MICROSOFT made btw, go figure a Microsoft Game not working on a Microsoft OS) and thats not even too old :/

If it isnt 100% compatible, its not useful to me. I dont care about the buggy MobileAPPs, i dont buy gaming machines to play Angry Birds >.<

If compatability isnt there from Windows 95, alllll the way to todays software, i cant recommend it.

Thats just me though, im very much a retro geek. I like my old things, and i like them to work.
    Interesting, I run a lot of old games myself and the compatibility is just fine.​​
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    Sorry, Snake, but Windows just isn't going to offer full backwards compatibility for your old Commodore 64 games. And you can't bolt a four-barrel carb onto a modern Dodge hemi anymore, either.

No issues with the Win10 updates on most of the systems here; the only one with a problem is this cheap (literally - the least expensive one available) laptop we got for living-room websurfing. It has a 32Gb drive, and there's less than 10Gb left after all the system software, so it can't upgrade (not enough storage for the process). Can't try to run CO on it either, for similar reasons.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • dicesnakedicesnake Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    @jonsills Im not Snake, and i dont run emulators, i prefer to own the actual consoles if i want to run those types of things (Prefer the Amiga 500+). The original controller (or keyboard/joystick) makes the experience more pure.

Theres just a lot of things NOT running on Windows 10. So i went back.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    Your screen name is "dicesnake". You are therefore "Snake", whether you admit to also being the other Snake or not. Do try to keep up...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    "Ah so you're John!"

"No Im not! I'm not the John who killed that prostitute!"

"...who said anything about a murder?"
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    Seems pretty cool, and the UI is way better than Win 8 (No longer do I have to finnagle around the fact that the Start menu is a huge screen-obstructing monster). Only thing I've run into so far is a weird bug in Champs where graphical settings won't be enabled on startup.

Looks like a few other players are getting that on Win10 as well, so here's hoping to that getting fixed.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    Classic Shell should be available for Win 10. And Start10 is out now.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
    Well here is some basics that people should do regardless;

Check your manufacture make sure you have the latest BIOS update. If you don't know your manufacture, in search type msinfo32 and on that screen look for BIOS which should tell you the date and manufacture of your motherboards BIOS. Then check with the manufacture to see if they have an updated BIOS for you. (an updated BIOS can even help with crash issues you might be experiencing with your video card).

Make sure all other important drivers and features are up to date. If you are using, for instance,a wireless connection, be sure the wireless hardware has up to date software as it might not work with Win10 if you haven't updated it in a while.

Win10 has compatibility mode features, so saying you can't play old games on Win10 but can on Win7 means you did something wrong.​​
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    A bit off topic but GTA Vice City runs at a faster frame rate with windows 10 >_>

I think I might install this s*** into my tower.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    How does CO run with it?​​
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif

How does CO run with it?​​

If you don't get this bug:

It works just as well as it does on previous versions.

Even if you do have the bug, it doesn't always happen when you start up the game, and judging by a lot of the feedback here it certainly doesn't happen to every Win10 user. still not to say it's just me though.

Result of swapping from windows without a fresh install, it tends to make the old files read only and thus they won't change for some reason.​​
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited September 2015

Result of swapping from windows without a fresh install, it tends to make the old files read only and thus they won't change for some reason.​​

Wait, really? So if I delete source files for the game and regenerate them, the issue will disappear?

Or are you talking about Windows system files

You would probably be better off doing a fresh install of windows at that point. I had the same issue when i went from 7 to 8 and 8.1 basically a fresh install seems to fix the problem, but your mileage may vary.​​
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    I did a fresh install of windows 10 (and CO, drivers, directx), and I have that same problem.