test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I've always been confused by the gear in this game

I've been "around" this game for a long time. I pre-ordered the 6 month sub before launch just to get access to STO's beta, and I've played Champs off and on throughout the years since...which is what makes what I'm about to say sound even dumber: I've always been confused by the gear in this game.

To explain, in most games, you simply get better gear as you level. Either as mission rewards or loot, generally speaking, it is *obvious* that a piece of level 15 gear is better than a piece of level 5 gear, just from looking at the stats. However, in this game, it seems like every piece of gear I get after level 10, whether as loot or a quest reward, always has significantly less of one of my main stats than the gear I already got at a lower level. Sure, it usually shows a lot of higher "minor" stats, but almost never any positive gain on my 3 major stats. Because of that, I am never sure whether to go with something new or just keep the low level gear I already have.

Can someone please enlighten me as to how to understand all of this correctly?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg

Comments

• xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    Once you start getting modable gear from drops and missions rewards it is probably a good idea to start replacing that gear you picked up in westside.
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    Level 1-39 gear is unimportant and that dilemma can be solved by heirloom gear. Considering the only thing heirloom gear gives you is a bunch of super stats, just focusing on super stats for regular gear will probably be fine.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    sterga wrote: »
    Level 1-39 gear is unimportant and that dilemma can be solved by heirloom gear. Considering the only thing heirloom gear gives you is a bunch of super stats, just focusing on super stats for regular gear will probably be fine.

This.

Basically, normal content up to level 40 doesn't really challenge a player enough to worry to much beyond "wear gear that matches your super stats", unless you're rocking a really weird build utilizing some odd spec selections or stat combinations.

At 40, you get an Email in game from Unity, go to an Until Kiosk and take the Invitation mission item, and accept the pointer mission to go to Unity, go there and join, do some dailies. after 6 days you will have the Silver Champions Tokens necessary to buy a good set of primary gear with mod slots, and the missions you ran that week should even drop some of the Mods you'll need.

Ideally, you'll want to save up Mods above rank 3, and fuse them up to at least 5. Five is about the minimum useful rank and anything about 5 is really just gravy, nice to have but not entirely necessary most of the time.

if you have any questions or need any further guidance or help, shoot me an in-game email or a PM if I'm online, to @Rune and I'll see what I can do to get you started.
  • KagamiTheMagicalCatGerlKagamiTheMagicalCatGerl Posts: 357 Arc User
    Just equip whatever has the biggest yellow numbers.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    Heres a simple guide for gear. Get 'dilo gear early on and forget about till level 40. Then theres stuff like heroic gear via unity missions or those lockboxes gear thingys ¬_¬

Just get heroic gear no one PvPs anymore :D
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • orangeitisorangeitis Posts: 227 Arc User
    nepht said:

Heres a simple guide for gear. Get 'dilo gear early on

How?

nepht said:

How?
    How, simple he has been playing CO for years now grind Q on higher up toons buy zen use zen on lower toon to buy Q buy freaking 'Dilo gear.

Simple Mr Orangeitis ...yeah ¬__¬"

They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    nepht said:

nepht said:

How?
    How, simple he has been playing CO for years now grind Q on higher up toons buy zen use zen on lower toon to buy Q buy freaking 'Dilo gear.

Simple maybe if you know what "'Dilo gear" even is. I haven't a clue.

nepht said:

nepht said:

How?

Dilo gear isnt an object Dilo gear is a state of mind.

Nah its the Armadillo gear from Q store its stats grow with each level you do and it gives you a roll power, not very good at higher level things like nemcon but fun to level up with ^_^
    nepht said:

nepht said:

nepht said:

How?

Dilo gear isnt an object Dilo gear is a state of mind.

Nah its the Armadillo gear from Q store its stats grow with each level you do and it gives you a roll power, not very good at higher level things like nemcon but fun to level up with ^_^
    Okay, that clears it up then. Thanks!
  • cynicoolcynicool Posts: 160 Arc User
    Calling it Dilo gear makes me uncomfortable. OnO​​
    10dsf81.png
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    ditto, I was reading it with an extra letter.
    mind you, I read tbits name with 1 less letter.

ok how come if your signature is 250 tall and mine is 250 tall, I checked on photobucket. mine is taller?​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • cynicoolcynicool Posts: 160 Arc User
    Mine's actually 197 now. I had missed that it was wider than 650 so I had to shrink it a touch more.​​
    10dsf81.png
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Posts: 447 Arc User
    Well, I took the advice and got a full set of the armidillo gear. The individual pieces still showed lower yellow numbers than what loot gear I had on, but I think that the overall set bonuses make it better in the end. But I still don't really know =|

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Consider this: With the normal starting missions gear you have 1 strong stat per primary, and then 2 average stats per secondary...

Switch to Q-store gear or Nem gear and you now have 2 averge stands & 1 moderate primary stat on all 6 pieces of gear.

A little bit of math here: (note: I can't get on the game atm to get the actual numbers, just using these for referance purpose)

If your strong stats were +30 and your average stats on secondaries were +12 and you did an even stat spread, that will net you about +54 per stat.

Now switch to heirlooms and you've got that same +12 from your 3 primary piecess to all your secondary stats and a +20 to your primary, (and a little over half of that from secondary pieces) thats about +54 to your secondaries & +90 to your primary. Even at your lowest, you're getting a a better bonus to ALL stats than you would get from an even spread with the base gear while leveling.
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png