test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I understand why we can't create out own villains, but how about this?

thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Posts: 447 Arc User
First things first, this post is referring specifically to the new "Onslaught" system, described here.

Now, let's make sure we all understand WHY we can't create our own villains: balance. They want the villains to have a limit to how powerful they can be, and the only way they can do that is to only let us control the villains THEY create, rather than make our own custom builds. Custom builds would simply be too unpredictable to ever have a balanced system.

So as a compromise, what about this: instead of letting us create our own custom build, let us create our own appearance and then simply select from one of the existing villain power builds that the devs have approved and created themselves. If this sounds familiar, it is because that is basically how our Nemesis works.

By doing this, it would allow us to create our own visually unique villains to play as, but keep them balanced within the confines of the system that the devs want. Thoughts?

@ladygadfly @crypticarkayne @splosions

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

Comments

• championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    it has little to do with balance and more to do with the fact of what they are capable of doing. Since creating such a system would be more time consuming than creating special rule become devices, they go with the one that will cause the least issues to the bean counters. And as far as Nemesis powers are concerned, they are just using one power set, not really a set of predefined powers like archetypes, which can go outside of a single power set in power choices.

Finally, Champions is technically a game about heroes. Not villains. And Dark Champions, contrary to some misguided notions, is not about villains. It's about the dark heroes, the anti-heroes, the ones that will murder for what they believe is something right.

And if DCUO and City of Villains have proved anything, making consistent villain content that feels villainous is pretty much a veritable impossibility, as the way the model works you feel, at best, a dark hero instead of a villain and if not that you feel like a lackey, not a super villain.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    And as far as Nemesis powers are concerned, they are just using one power set, not really a set of predefined powers like archetypes, which can go outside of a single power set in power choices.

I used the nemesis system as the example because *that* is what I was comparing it to, not archetypes.

Finally, Champions is technically a game about heroes. Not villains. And Dark Champions, contrary to some misguided notions, is not about villains. It's about the dark heroes, the anti-heroes, the ones that will murder for what they believe is something right.

And if DCUO and City of Villains have proved anything, making consistent villain content that feels villainous is pretty much a veritable impossibility, as the way the model works you feel, at best, a dark hero instead of a villain and if not that you feel like a lackey, not a super villain.​​

This has nothing to do with what I am talking about. I am *not* talking about creating any Villain mission or storyline content. I am *not* suggesting anything similar to playing a Villain in DCUO or in CoV. My entire idea can be summed up quite simply as: allowing us to design our own "skin" for the Onslaught system.

If you have comments about what I actually suggested, please share them. But please do not create a strawman that has nothing to do with that I am suggesting just so you can disagree with it.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    And as far as Nemesis powers are concerned, they are just using one power set, not really a set of predefined powers like archetypes, which can go outside of a single power set in power choices.

I used the nemesis comparison because *that* is what I was comparing it to, not archetypes.
    And I gave you an answer why not. It's easier to create special rule become devices (hence it already exists) than something that would require much more work.

And if DCUO and City of Villains have proved anything, making consistent villain content that feels villainous is pretty much a veritable impossibility, as the way the model works you feel, at best, a dark hero instead of a villain and if not that you feel like a lackey, not a super villain.

This has nothing to do with what I am talking about. I am *not* talking about creating any Villain mission or storyline content, simply allowing us to basically design out own "skin" for the Onslaught system. I am *not* suggesting anything similar to playing a Villain in DCUO or in CoV.

If you have comments about what I actually suggested, please share them. But please do not create a strawman that has nothing to do with that I am suggesting just so you can disagree with it.

Uh, actually it does. Since any discussion about such mechanics will eventually bring up points of creating villain based content. Sorry you don't like counter points to your plans, despite you yourself have shown hostility championing the exact reasons in the past that I put up above as to why not. The major one being first.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited August 2015
    And I gave you an answer why not. It's easier to create special rule become devices (hence it already exists) than something that would require much more work.

So, your point is that it is easier to do something that is already done, than to do something else? Um, thanks captain obvious. No one said anything to the contrary. I am fully aware that the Onslaught system will launch "as is", and that the idea I am suggesting would have to be something added later. Saying that adding something to it later would require "more work" is blatantly obvious and applies to all game development.

Uh, actually it does. Since any discussion about such mechanics will eventually bring up points of creating villain based content.

Sorry, but that has nothing to do with that I am suggesting. If someone else wants to make their own suggestions or requests, they have every right to do so. However, this particular thread is about my specific suggestion, not some hypothetical request that someone else may make in the future.

Sorry you don't like counter points to your plans

I don't mind counter points to MY suggestion. What I do mind is you trolling this thread with comments about things I didn't suggest at all. Take your strawman someplace else.
    Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    I thought about this, but quickly dismissed it because I thought about Nemesis alerts. The only person that's ever excited to see a certain Nemesis is the person who created the Nemesis. Nobody else knows the story behind him, or even cares. They quickly get buried in a mountain of effects, and then people grab the loot and go. This is about putting well-known (within the game, obviously) and notorious villains out in the wild. People know Gravitar, they know Grond. They don't know other peoples' characters. This idea seems to really only cater to the people who would like to have SuperGroup RP sessions (and while I'm not against that at all, I just don't see it as a huge selling point).

Further, I like that we'll be fighting comic-like villains. You know what'll turn me off from engaging with other people's Nemeses? Random costumes. SuperDarkDemonDragonWolfJerk named EvilKiller Dark XX. I also don't want to be fighting Frieza, or Solomon Grundy, or Magneto, or Speed Racer, or Cute Tiny Little Anime Cat Girl. I want to fight supervillains. Supervillains who will likely have voiceovers for better immersion during fights. Not some random silent pile of hit points.

I think we need more variety than 3 villains, but I don't think the answer is letting us use our Nemeses.​​
    biffsig.jpg
    edited August 2015
    I thought about this, but quickly dismissed it because I thought about Nemesis alerts. The only person that's ever excited to see a certain Nemesis is the person who created the Nemesis. Nobody else knows the story behind him, or even cares. They quickly get buried in a mountain of effects, and then people grab the loot and go. This is about putting well-known (within the game, obviously) and notorious villains out in the wild. People know Gravitar, they know Grond. They don't know other peoples' characters. This idea seems to really only cater to the people who would like to have SuperGroup RP sessions (and while I'm not against that at all, I just don't see it as a huge selling point).

Further, I like that we'll be fighting comic-like villains. You know what'll turn me off from engaging with other people's Nemeses? Random costumes. SuperDarkDemonDragonWolfJerk named EvilKiller Dark XX. I also don't want to be fighting Frieza, or Solomon Grundy, or Magneto, or Speed Racer, or Cute Tiny Little Anime Cat Girl. I want to fight supervillains. Supervillains who will likely have voiceovers for better immersion during fights. Not some random silent pile of hit points.

I think we need more variety than 3 villains, but I don't think the answer is letting us use our Nemeses.​​

Thank you for replying to what I actually suggested. While I do enjoy seeing what villains other people come up with, your point is completely valid. Taste is subjective. Maybe the idea I am suggesting would be better appreciated after this system has been out for a while and people have seen the same villains over and over, and might want to see something new.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    Thank you for replying to what I actually suggested. While I do enjoy seeing what villains other people come up with, your point is completely valid. Taste is subjective. Maybe the idea I am suggesting would be better appreciated after this system has been out for a while and people have seen the same villains over and over, and might want to see something new.

Yeah, that's why I hope they put out a good amount of new villains because 3 will get stale pretty quick. New villains with new moves, maybe even some "Premium" villains that stay out longer can can cause even more massive destruction would be fun, and new villainous missions as well, probably some exclusive to certain villains.

But they really need to keep pushing this so it'll stay fresh and fun.​​
    biffsig.jpg
    edited August 2015

Yeah, that's why I hope they put out a good amount of new villains because 3 will get stale pretty quick. New villains with new moves, maybe even some "Premium" villains that stay out longer can can cause even more massive destruction would be fun, and new villainous missions as well, probably some exclusive to certain villains.

Agree completely. And if I read the article correctly, there *will* be more than 3 at launch, you will simply have to unlock them:
    Mechanic wise, once you activate the device you’ll be turned into one of three villains of your choosing (Grond, Avatar, or Medusa), but by playing the Onslaught mode you’ll earn tokens to unlock more and if the new patch is a success they’ll be adding more and more to the mix as well.

So again, if I'm reading that right, it is saying:

• the 3 are there by default
    • you can unlock more with tokens
    • if successful they will add "more and more"

But it sounds like more than 3 is already in the system.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • xrazamaxxrazamax Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I guess I'm a bit in the middle here then. If the villains are going to have high production values (Voice over work, unique powers, etc), then I would prefer that the focus does remain on the Champions' master villains line up. If on the other hand they are going to be more along the line of high statted devices with huge health bars, then I would like to see the ability to have one of these "Villains" be your current nemesis.

Sure, you will sometimes get duds or people being ridiculous, but you will also get really good ones. That is the nature of user generated content. And while some players may not care for seeing another player's nemesis because they think it is unoriginal or whatever, well... you are right Smackwell. It DOES matter to the person who made the Nemesis, and that is pretty cool. And seeing as how the villains can fight other villains, I would prefer to see Nems fighting rather than two Gravitars going at it, or to take down one villain only to see that exact same villain popup a short while later.

It may just be the right time to revisit the Nemesis system's powerset choices, make them more formidable, and whatever powerset you assigned to your nemesis will determine you power choices.
    Post edited by xrazamax on
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Posts: 409 Arc User
    xrazamax wrote: »
    I guess I'm a bit in the middle here then. If the villains are going to have high production values (Voice overwork, unique powers, etc), then I would prefer that the focus does remain on the Champions' master villains line up. If on the other hand they are going to be more along the line of high statted devices with huge health bars, then I would like to see the ability to have one of these "Villains" be your current nemesis.

Sure, you will sometimes get duds or people being ridiculous, but you will also get really good ones. That is the nature of user generated content. And while some players may not care for seeing another player's nemesis because they think it is unoriginal or whatever, well... you are right Smackwell. It DOES matter to the person who made the Nemesis, and that is pretty cool. And seeing as how the villains can fight other villains, I would prefer to see Nems fighting rather than two Gravitars going at it, or to take down one villain only to see that exact same villain popup a second later.

It may just be the right time to revisit the Nemesis system's build choices, make them more formidable, and whatever powerset build you assigned to your villain will determine you power choices.

I have to agree here.

Sorry Biff, but I actually like seeing other players Nemesi in the (all too few) Alerts they pop in on. They range from cool to hilarious.

The 'duds' that irritate me the most are the 'generic' Nemesis' that the game generates to fill in for someone who doesn't have a Nemesis created. This happens FAR too often - even if FOUR out of the five people in the group have Nemesi made up. :s

That said, I do agree the focus should be on official Champions villains first. :)
    Sorry Biff, but I actually like seeing other players Nemesi in the (all too few) Alerts they pop in on. They range from cool to hilarious.

That's cool, but in my experience, most confrontations with Nemeses, nobody has batted an eyelash, said a single comment, or had a shred of praise for the Nemesis that came up. I'm not just talking about mine; I've had a few guffaws at mine, but for the most part, I don't see anyone saying anything about the Nemeses.​​
    biffsig.jpg
  • nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 768 Arc User
    I wouldn't want them to be ambiguous as to which one it was, if I am fighting Grond, I want to know it's Grond, and if it's Gravitar, I want to know it's Gravitar; not knowing which one it is can quickly get you killed.​​
    [NbK]XStorm
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User

That's cool, but in my experience, most confrontations with Nemeses, nobody has batted an eyelash, said a single comment, or had a shred of praise for the Nemesis that came up. I'm not just talking about mine; I've had a few guffaws at mine, but for the most part, I don't see anyone saying anything about the Nemeses.​​

The problem isn't Nemesis design itself, it's where most people run Nemesis content. In NemCons, we'd comment on each other's nemeses all the time. (Especially when those nemeses were SG in-jokes, which happened A LOT in Sovereign. ;) ) Unfortunately, today's most popular Nemesis encounter is Dockside Dustup, where Q farmers are only interested in beating that 2:00 timer, and the busted RNG will probably leave you fighting a server-generated infernal dude named Lilith anyway.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • KagamiTheMagicalCatGerlKagamiTheMagicalCatGerl Posts: 357 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    The explanation for why they did it like this might go something like this: They want players to be able to recognize an Onslaught villain player immediately.

Combined with:
    nbkxs wrote: »
    I wouldn't want them to be ambiguous as to which one it was, if I am fighting Grond, I want to know it's Grond, and if it's Gravitar, I want to know it's Gravitar; not knowing which one it is can quickly get you killed.​​

This is a feedback issue. They want players to know what's going on, and they don't want players using their costumes to obfuscate anything.
    The explanation for why they did it like this might go something like this: They want players to be able to recognize an Onslaught villain player immediately.

Combined with:
    nbkxs wrote: »

This is a feedback issue. They want players to know what's going on, and they don't want players using their costumes to obfuscate anything.

I can think of one easy solution off the top of my head: when you target the villain, the "real" villain(whose powers are being used) is the picture that shows up on their target bar. So if it is someone using the Grond powers, his face would be in the UI target window.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    which means, you have to click through the people to check who they are before you attack, while making sure you don't accidentally auto attack.
    In the meantime, the other person gets ready.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Not sure if it's been mentioned but not all of these villains are super easy to fight, most are pretty basic, but most people get taken out by Baron Cimetiere the first time they fought him, and having his powers but a different skin would get old pretty quick
  • furries2furries2 Posts: 80 Arc User

They can also ask players to do contest for new villian ideas for onslight see who wins, Like they used to do back then. That can help keep things fresh too.
    "I'll never look back I've got no regrets Cause time doesn't wait for me I choose to go my own way."
    "Sonic Archie Comics"
    14mrud2.jpg
    Sonic Vs. Scourge

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension! - (Dr. Ivo Robotnik: You took the words right out of my mouth.)
  • falzeprophetfalzeprophet Posts: 14 Arc User
    "♪ There ain't no good guys - there ain't no bad guys.... there's just you and me and we just disagree♫"
    If perception is reality, then you're just a point of view.
  • heroshima1heroshima1 Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    "So again, if I'm reading that right, it is saying:
    • the 3 are there by default
    • you can unlock more with tokens
    • if successful they will add "more and more"

But it sounds like more than 3 is already in the system."

I doubt they have more than the 3 to start. They are likely saying you can unlock more because they expect people to take a bit of time to play, giving them time to get more villains ready. I'd guess it will be the next patch after it goes live before we start seeing the unlockable villains.
  • raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    There really just arn't enough people who care about other player created nemeses for this to be a worthwile investment... additionally I recall seeing it mentioned that the onslaught system is their way of testing the waters to see if a possible larger nemesis update would actually work.

I don't think the choice was about controling the balance either. As silverspar attempted to point out, it was easier for them to create a special rule become device than to give the players more control in this aspect. It might happen at a much later date once the novilty of the current system has worn off and if the data Cryptic gathers from it leads them to believe it would be worth the investment. Even something like what you suggest would be significantly more time consuming to design and program than the become devices they are giving us. TBH, it's possible that a full fledged Nemesis faction would be easier to implement (functionally) than what your suggesting.

To be perfectly honest, I'd rather see them implement the foundary system into CO before they even consider bringing this suggestion to light. If we can get the foundery, then we can create interest in other players nemeses by actually creating their stories for people to experiance. After that happens, then people will show far more interest in player created Onslaugh nemeses.

Hell, they can tie the foundery into the alert system even by having a rotation of popular 5-man foundery missions on the alert que...
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
  • reiwulfreiwulf Posts: 442 Arc User
    The foundry in CO would be the most awesome thing ever! Sadly bu how it gets ignored in neverwinter and star trek i doubt they want ti invest any time and effort into it
    natesig.jpg

• raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    reiwulf said:

The foundry in CO would be the most awesome thing ever! Sadly bu how it gets ignored in neverwinter and star trek i doubt they want ti invest any time and effort into it

Neither STO nor NW had as big of a need for player created content to begin with. They both get periodic/regular updates and have a significant amount of content to begin with. And their concept doesn't have a huge need for it either. CO on the other hand, is lacking in content, rarely gets real updates, and as a custom superhero MMO has an inherent need for player made content.
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
    both STO and NW had all their files annotated.
    STO took a year to get their foundry working and it goes down at each update.
    NW foundry is literally about 90% farms. When they had a farm wipe in October(?) last year, 175 stories were left and zone chat was filled with, "where's the farms"
    next day 375, 4 days later 1100+.
    same names as before but different authors. Yes I wrote them down so I know which to avoid.

CO files are NOT annotated and as someone found out, we do actually have the front page of the foundry in the files. Until the files are all gone through and identified, we can't get a foundry even if our budget went that far. First it would have to go as far as getting the files done.

welcome to the red headed stepchild of the Cryptic family​​

• lestylolestylo Posts: 375 Arc User

Same here. I must have been lucky since most of my runs in the past have had people commenting on the character, at least in regards to their appearance.
    reiwulf said:

Indeed, though they need to hurry and fix Neverwinter Foundry already. It annoys me that they deleted the lesser known quests. That said, I feel like the main reason why the foundry gets ignored by some people is that there is indeed enough content to make you forget but also the rewards. Personally, aside from having enough content, I dislike how the search for foundry quests work. It's tedious and rather rigid.
    "I tried to look at that page but saw only inane comments."
    Yes. The foundry has beem down in nw for over a month now. Its ridiculous. For a game that used user generated content as one if its main attractions it has been ignored way too much.
    Many people have posted ideas on how to better it, what to fix, and how to monetize it, but the devs never reply. At most we get something like "we'll see in the future".
    Im tired of waiting for them to do something about it.
    natesig.jpg

• meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited August 2015
    After the Nevermore Foundry first got their anti-farm reward nerfs, then dialogue length limitations, then it was down with basically every larger update (and is down to this time), and now removing less played quests (which also removes a fair share of plot oriented quest that were fun to read and play, but never very popular because they never had big appeal for farmers) I think that Neverplay foundry can be declared effectively dead.
    Cryptic managed to turn one of their main selling points for this game into something very dull.
    And it was the only thing that kept Nevermind any more interesting than a generic fantasy game.

Now, if STO foundry got all NW improvements, this would be epic. It got enough Trekkies in their fanbase to get some nicely written Foundry episodes.

But seeing how STO and NW have probems with their Foundry, I can't really expect it being implemented into CO.​​
    In yesterday's livestream it showed there is a big "bubble" above the villain's head that says their name. In other words, there would be no issue with people not knowing which villain they were fighting, even if they allowed us to create custom skins.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    STO has some really nice stories in theirs. I found one where I got to shoot eppoh's.(yes I hate them.) OK it was spitting fire at me and the others weren't any friendlier. Great story to go with it.

There is a good one in the NW foundry, the first part makes you think it's an imp farm but it isn't .

Something about Imps in the Library or AH. Once you get past that first annoying bit there's a good story.

The drive out the gold sellers one is brilliant.​​

I don't play STO so I don't know. but in NW there are some awesome foundry quests. with much better story and maps than official cryptic content. I wish it wasnt ignored module after module. now it has been down for more than 5 weeks and not a single dev has been able to tell us if it'll even ever come back at all.
    natesig.jpg

Record for being down in STO after a patch was 6 weeks.​​

• c0wb0y33c0wb0y33 Posts: 22 Arc User
    I prefer the other option called "Hunted By" which is from the "Pen & Paper" version of this game. The premises is that you would choose an in game villain to be hunted by and their minions of course, it would be an alternate to the "Nemesis" system. Also, I would like to make corrections to able to correct the name on my "Nemesis" villain. Just saying....
    ah yes hunted,
    frequency
    8-
    11-,
    14-
    and if the RNG hates you, they will turn up a lot. Regardless of what you are doing.​​