test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Here's what's coming...

Comments

• cynicoolcynicool Posts: 160 Arc User
    Oh man. I would love it if one of the unlocks is Baron Cimetiere. Voodoo Blocking chumps all day erry day. It's bad enough on an AI. Imagine a real person anticipating your moves and whacking you in the face with your big hitters every damn time. Also Ao'Qephoth... ALSO ALSO I want to unlock Rakshasa and spam the mind worms!​​
    10dsf81.png
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    I will wait until I know more about this feature. Because right now I can see good things coming from it, but I can also see the bad side of it. WIth out more information it is just speculation.
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    cynicool wrote: »
    Oh man. I would love it if one of the unlocks is Baron Cimetiere. Voodoo Blocking chumps all day erry day. It's bad enough on an AI. Imagine a real person anticipating your moves and whacking you in the face with your big hitters every damn time.​​

"Oh, is that an Orbital Cannon targeting laser converging on me? And it has the Anvil of Dawn advantage?"

gdRGE.gif
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Imagine a real person anticipating your moves and whacking you in the face with your big hitters every damn time.
    Just means crippling challenge is even more valuable.​​
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    Imagine a real person anticipating your moves and whacking you in the face with your big hitters every damn time.
    Just means crippling challenge is even more valuable.

There are people that don't use crippling challenge? Where are these people cause damn every time I do an alert I have to laugh as I watch someone desperately spam their CC power to try and take aggro from me, and it's usually someone who can't take a hit.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    Oh man. I would love it if one of the unlocks is Baron Cimetiere. Voodoo Blocking chumps all day erry day. It's bad enough on an AI. Imagine a real person anticipating your moves and whacking you in the face with your big hitters every damn time.

"Oh, is that an Orbital Cannon targeting laser converging on me? And it has the Anvil of Dawn advantage?"

gdRGE.gif

Oh, man. That would be so great to use on people.

"Sure, set me on fire and cloud me in pestilence all you want... So you won't see me block, sucka."​​
    biffsig.jpg
    edited August 2015
    So, given the extremely broad range of possible attackers, I had a thought for how to autoscale based on the power of your attackers. This is actually something that might be nice for all sorts of open-world bosses, but since this is the one at hand, might as well propose it here.

The idea is pretty simple: as you take damage, you get more powerful. A reasonable implementation for a level 40 would be something like:
    • Every time you take 10,000 (cumulative) damage, you gain 1 stack of (name of buff). Each stack gives +50% all damage strength (with no diminishing returns), +50% all damage resistance, and lasts for 20s; adding a new stack does not refresh stacks. This will maintain fairly constant stacks depending on the incoming dps, equal to 1/500 of the (final) dps; based on raw dps, it would be:
      • 2,000 dps: 2 stacks, final 1k dps.
      • 6,000 dps: 4 stacks, final 2k dps.
      • 12,000 dps: 6 stacks, final 3k dps.
      • 20,000 dps: 8 stacks, final 4k dps.
      • 30,000 dps: 10 stacks, final 5k dps
      • 42,000 dps: 12 stacks, final 6k dps.
      • 56,000 dps: 14 stacks, final 7k dps (this is about the upper end of plausible attackers).
    • A villain with no stacks is obviously not being engaged, and regenerates at 500 dps.
    • A villain with no stacks doesn't need to hit too hard; fluctuating between 1k and 2k dps seems about right (so a 3s charge might be 6k damage, but then gets followed by 3s energy building at 1k).
    ​​
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    ladygadfly wrote: »
    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/335/feature/10007/Champions-Online-Get-Ready-to-Unleash-Your-Inner-Villain.html

So, after reading it a couple of times...I'm only concerned with the potential for griefing. It sounds like it will be a lot of fun though.

Thoughts?

We've taken steps to minimize the possibility of griefing. Nobody can be targeted by player villains unless they attack the villain first.

how they get around that in Rift and which is likely to be doable here too.

auto target goes to the next non friendly person.
    I am assuming these are listed as not freindly, since you can attack them without challenging .

1. melee- just stand/run around in front of a person while they attack something, auto target should do the rest. Unless the person is fast , they are likely to hit the other person and since they are larger than normal targets, their hit box will be hard to miss.
    2. ranged or AOE attacks- just run or stand near a group they are attacking, since you are not friendly , they won't get immunity. The villain will get the AOE damage and the other person is now targetable.

Same as with the Level 40's who used to hang around Kodiak. If you see one hanging around, call out.
    ON the subject of powers. it depends if;
    1. they are standard becomes- you get a set group of abilities.
    2. Buff become- you keep your powers but get a buff depending on their powers.
    3. your powers and a power upgrade.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• broadnaxbroadnax Posts: 47 Arc User
    ladygadfly wrote: »
    We've taken steps to minimize the possibility of griefing. Nobody can be targeted by player villains unless they attack the villain first.

Not being a fan of pvp--especially open world where we have no choice--how will AoEs affect this? If I am fighting a gang in the street and fire off an AoE, will that tag a passing Villain player and plunge me into pvp that I don't want to participate in?

I can see having fun with this on occasion--even running a Villain myself every once in a while. But I never want to be thrust into a pvp situation without choosing to do so, and I never want to inadvertently draw another player in if they do not want to.
  • rinasut01rinasut01 Posts: 1 Arc User
    Is it wrong that I'm more concern that in this or any future update, they might increase the level cap to 50 and make the last ten level a grind? They did this with STO and with Neverwinter and that causes many players to leave the game.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Yes it is.
    Since they wont increase lvl cap to 50.
    onion-27.gif​​
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • KagamiTheMagicalCatGerlKagamiTheMagicalCatGerl Posts: 357 Arc User
    I see what you mean, it'll be a lot easier for them to balance this however seeing as you don't pick the build yourself
    Missing the point. The villain player might not have the option of picking a build, but the heroes do, and there's extremely large variance in PC effectiveness.

One possibility would be to grant buffs based on incoming damage -- the harder the heroes hit, the tougher the villain is, and the harder he hits back.

Who knows, maybe the next big thing they're gonna unveil is a balance update and stuff like this won't even be an issue anymore.

Even so, let's all remember here that the point of this seems to be that the villain players will lose. So really, it doesn't matter if they lose slightly faster or slightly slower. They're going to lose anyways, so as a villain if you see that overpowered villain gank-squad coming, you just change your tactics and go for objectives and ignore the invincible players, and just try to get as much done as fast as you can. Multiple players could also get together and plan to pop their villains at the same time and focus on different areas - the op players can't go after them all.

One thing I'm wondering, is there a limit to the number of players that can tag a given villain? For example, is it set that once 10 players have attack a villain, no more players can enable themselves to attack that villain? That would be a great system to avoid the "oh god the lag" side effect we have whenever an entire zone crowds around a given NPC.
    Who knows, maybe the next big thing they're gonna unveil is a balance update and stuff like this won't even be an issue anymore.
    Hahaha. No, that would be a giant task and it still wouldn't work because, even if everyone is absolutely identical, there's a difference between 5 players engaging the villain and 10.
    Even so, let's all remember here that the point of this seems to be that the villain players will lose.
    I think it's clear that the intent is that there will be an interesting fight. Which means the villains should be beatable, but difficult.
    Hahaha. No, that would be a giant task and it still wouldn't work because, even if everyone is absolutely identical, there's a difference between 5 players engaging the villain and 10.

Apples and oranges.
    kyastral wrote: »
    Hmm.... I was also hoping to create my own villian, choose my villians' powers and cause consistent havoc like robbing banks and jewelry stores, threatening NPC's, set fires to important buildings, work with signature villians, fight the Champions one on one or challenge the team with my own villian team.

This new content seems boring to me; all you do is "become" a signature villian and battle a team of heroes and/or another signature villian and it is limited to Millenium City. Basically, it's an ongoing zone PVP event that is fast-paced (hmmm.. sounds more like a MOBA perhaps). I am curious enough about it to test it on the PTS, though.

Questions: Will the devices be account or character bound? Will they expire? Will they stack? Will they be tradable/saleable?

it's a mission item. You get the mission, you get the item. So it will be bound to character.​​

• crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    The 1st thing that popped into my head...

Will I be able to move the powers, set up the layout, and have this not be another cruddy Become Device with all the powers in the worst possible places?*

*Preferably without wrecking the UI setup of my actual toon which is what happens when you try this with a regular become.

2nd question:
    Does this feature mean we're not getting any replayable new mission content(not to mention Seasons, Campaign Zones, AA Systems, and other such things which make up my CO dreams) in 2015? Not to sound overly negative...but....is this the "BIG" it for 2015?

3rd question(From the article):
    -"But that should all be changing as Cryptic is refocusing in on the superhero MMORPG with loads of new content in the coming months."

-"So there you have it, folks. Supervillain Onslaught is the first of many new updates coming to Champions Online in the coming months."

is this the writer's wording or what? Is this the answer to question 2?

4th question: If this hits when the Mechanon OM is running how hard do you think it would be for me to turn into a villain, run into the fight, get hit by an AE, and start hunting down the people in that alert....or Bloodmoon....or Winter? You get the picture. The more I think about it...it's not really that hard to get someone using an AE attack in range of me if I wanted to trigger one of these devices.

5th question: Will players who are Grond(which will likely be a ton of them) who use superjump have his graphics error where they're invisible and the player model is 100f in the air above their actual location like the real Grond?

6th question: What does the PTS Process for this look like currently? Will this be an actual testing run(s) or will this be a presentation with a carved in stone release date regardless of the current state at that time? Is there flexibility in the process this round?

7th question: Ok, so the easily recognized villains have been mentioned...but what about the ones sitting in the Live files who either used to exist but went MIA? What about the ability to unlock Simorgh? Or Tachyon?

8th question: In regards to the concerns with balancing, what about a mechanic where if the villain is alone an aura is generated(which would be canceled if another villain comes within range and negates this entire effect) where everytime a new player hits the villain for the 1st time it spawns one elite Telio Clone(or, even better, a newly designed "Unstable Mutation") to attack them. Villains use henchies from time to time. Just an idea. o:)

9th question: Can one of the "Top Tier" unlocks for this be the ability to turn into a civilian(or, even better, a hot dog vendor because those things are COSMICALLY OP)? I mean, joking or not joking, if you're going to give the players what they want...I'm betting there are some who would like a little payback of this kind(just say it's a Roin'Esh Civilian or something for lore purposes).

I'm sorry if this comes off as overly negative, since that is not my intention, but there have been alot of "at a future time" and "within our current scope" thrown around this year so I do find myself questioning and somewhat apprehensive. Trust me, I like it less than you might(since, for one, I still don't own Variable Robot until that becomes true).

Oh well, objectively waiting and observing for now.

2s9bzbq.jpg
  • heroshima1heroshima1 Posts: 107 Arc User
    I think it would be cool, if this "first round" of Villian Onslaught works, is to be able to choose one of your current Nemesis to 'become'. Would work great for those with 'dual personalities'. :smile:
  • lilsteffielilsteffie Posts: 598 Arc User
    Seems pretty cool, let's see how things really go when it gets released though.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Handle:@XG3NX

Champions Online.. where we sell lockboxes by the dozen.
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    Hyped! And I am pleased to see one a small handful of negative commenters in this thread. Is this a bright shiny new day for champions online??
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    rinasut01 wrote: »
    Is it wrong that I'm more concern that in this or any future update, they might increase the level cap to 50 and make the last ten level a grind? They did this with STO and with Neverwinter and that causes many players to leave the game.

Yeah people been mentioning theoretical level cap rises for years now and BAMO you didnt @*&% around it was your first post.

latest?cb=20140709071811

nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • christy300christy300 Posts: 35 Arc User
    the onslaught event is coming and also THEY GOING TO NERF THE COOLDOWN REDUCTION CONSTITUTION AND STRENGTH THAT IS BS REALLY IF THE ARE GOING TO NERF THAT WHY DID THEY MADE IT REALLY THAT MAKE NO SENSE!
    someone can go through mine and fix it. Early morning here.

the onslaught event is coming and also THEY ARE GOING TO NERF THE COOLDOWN REDUCTION, CONSTITUTION AND STRENGTH.
    THAT IS BS!
    REALLY, IF THE ARE GOING TO NERF THAT, WHY DID THEY MAKE IT?
    REALLY THAT MAKE NO SENSE!

1. Punctuation in that ONE sentence would have made it easier to understand.
    2. There has been no mention of nerfing Str or Con from the Devs, only from players.
    3. Not everyone relies on Int and Cooldown for a build.

Over the last year especially, every time people are discussing builds in chat, it's ;
    Int or str primary, get MSA, stack Cooldown.

^^ How to tell what the current Fotm build is and as with previous Fotm builds, it's now being adjusted, nerfed, balanced. As with previous changes
    " Now I won't be able to <insert event here>"
    " If this goes live, I'm cancelling my subs and leaving"
    " This makes all my builds useless."
    "Now it's a waste of time getting X"

and in a few days, people change to;
    "If you do this, you can do this."
    " I can exchange X for Y."
    As people change and adapt, the ones who refuse to adapt lose.

Dodge changes, someone pointed out on the PTS thread, they could still get 100% dodge, full time.

Mrhinkypunk has already reworked his builds for Pvp and Pve and found them usable.​​

edited August 2015
    Every AD and AO will be down to 1min cooldown and the shields going to be nerf also i tested that in PTS!!!!! that really make no sense to do that really, every thing i said i tested in PTS XD you should go in there and see by your self that abusive! seriously!
    christy300 wrote: »
    the onslaught event is coming and also THEY GOING TO NERF THE COOLDOWN REDUCTION CONSTITUTION AND STRENGTH THAT IS BS REALLY IF THE ARE GOING TO NERF THAT WHY DID THEY MADE IT REALLY THAT MAKE NO SENSE!

Shev is that you?

They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    Oh man, I kind of hope so.​​
    10dsf81.png
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    nepht wrote: »

Shev is that you?
    Can't be Shev. The statement may be wrong, and grammatically incorrect, but it's not word salad.​​
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    chaelk wrote: »
    someone can go through mine and fix it. Early morning here.

the onslaught event is coming and also THEY ARE GOING TO NERF THE COOLDOWN REDUCTION, CONSTITUTION AND STRENGTH.
    THAT IS BS!
    REALLY, IF THE ARE GOING TO NERF THAT, WHY DID THEY MAKE IT?
    REALLY THAT MAKE NO SENSE!

1. Punctuation in that ONE sentence would have made it easier to understand.
    2. There has been no mention of nerfing Str or Con from the Devs, only from players.
    3. Not everyone relies on Int and Cooldown for a build.

Over the last year especially, every time people are discussing builds in chat, it's ;
    Int or str primary, get MSA, stack Cooldown.

^^ How to tell what the current Fotm build is and as with previous Fotm builds, it's now being adjusted, nerfed, balanced. As with previous changes
    " Now I won't be able to <insert event here>"
    " If this goes live, I'm cancelling my subs and leaving"
    " This makes all my builds useless."
    "Now it's a waste of time getting X"

and in a few days, people change to;
    "If you do this, you can do this."
    " I can exchange X for Y."
    As people change and adapt, the ones who refuse to adapt lose.

Dodge changes, someone pointed out on the PTS thread, they could still get 100% dodge, full time.

Mrhinkypunk has already reworked his builds for Pvp and Pve and found them usable.​​

+1, thumps up, liked, commented, and subscribed.
    Constitution will be Nerf also one the PTS days ago i had 22k HP full R9 Moded, now i have only 21k HP and also because some people complained about the cooldown reduction like you coull stack enrage to 8 well that very crappy enrage had enough Nerf in six years seriously.... And like i said before it's abusive....
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    Constitution will be Nerf also one the PTS days ago i had 22k HP full R9 Moded, now i have only 21k HP and also because some people complained about the cooldown reduction like you coull stack enrage to 8 well that very crappy enrage had enough Nerf in six years seriously.... And like i said before it's abusive....

FYI, I just checked this out...and CON still grants 15 points of HP per 1 point of CON...so no nerf there.

edited August 2015

I had to read that 13 times. Shev Returns confirmed.

edited August 2015
    Who is Shev? Oo

Something about your posts make me think you might be some sort of evil Djinn sent to earth to cause havok n_n
    nooo im not evil XD i'm just telling that make no sense to nerf AO,Form and AD,
    edited August 2015

Who is Shev? Oo

Shev is actually someone I like :3

You have just ruined my day by not being them :V

(still sorta thinking your Shev ¬_¬ )

nooo im not evil XD i'm just telling that make no sense to nerf AO,Form and AD,

It makes sense because games don't work good when players are invincible.
    edited August 2015
    okay but that ruin some build now like to tank some bosses and solo elite missions why really STOP TO NERF CO.....And stacking enrage don't make you invincible so i don't see the point the NERF Aggressor cooldown....1min it's abusive....
  • purin1purin1 Posts: 433 Arc User
    okay but that ruin some build now like to tank some bosses and solo elite missions why really STOP TO NERF CO.....And stacking enrage don't make you invincible so i don't see the point the NERF Aggressor cooldown....1min it's abusive....

I'm more than positive people will be able to adapt to fighting all bosses if these changes go through. Squishy ATs with no heals can solo a lot of elite content, why wouldn't a well-built FF be able to make a couple changes to do the same, only with a much easier time? As for stacking Enrage... there are more (reliable) ways to reach 8 stacks more quickly than only using Aggressor.

The builds that will be "completely ruined" will be those that heavily relied on cooldown reduction to even function, and that's what these changes are aimed at. If that's what it takes for game balance, I'm more than okay with it.​​
    I strive to be the strongest swordsman alive.
    edited August 2015
    i tried all things to keep the enrage at 8 in PTS you can't......And no i'm not okay with that i did adapt a lot for that game since the beta 2009....
    i tried all things to keep the enrage at 8 in PTS you can't......And no i'm not okay with that i did adapt a lot for that game since the beta 2009....

So you're telling me you can't knock a target when using Enraged, or apply a bleed when using Aspect of the Bestial once every 40 seconds to keep your Enrage stacks up?​​
    XD keep hitting things to keep your enrage at 8 it's boring i used to stack it only with aggressor -_- now that gonna be messed up... not only for me but for a lots of people trust me...
    edited August 2015
    I'm afraid I fail to understand how actually participating in combat to keep Enrage stacks going is boring compared to using a single power that I don't even need to enter combat with to keep my stacks up as things currently stand. I assure you that most people actually use that boring old way of stacking Enrage more often than spamming Aggressor alone. Even if they have Aggressor, they'll normally have attacks that knock as well for energy and actual damage.​​
    edited August 2015
    Well maybe for you but in 2009 we didn't have aggressor just enrage that we clicked every time without punching stuff to stack enrage....now it's just so messed up....-_-
  • kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I'm sorry you have to actually play the game.
    edited August 2015
    Man I hate it when they make it so I have to do stuff.​​
    Post edited by cynicool on
    10dsf81.png
    nepht wrote: »

I had to read that 13 times. Shev Returns confirmed.

Nope, Shev was more coherent. well most of the time.​​

edited August 2015
    XD keep hitting things to keep your enrage at 8 it's boring i used to stack it only with aggressor -_- now that gonna be messed up... not only for me but for a lots of people trust me...

Anyone else surprised we actually responded even remotely seriously to this person? o_O

I hereby award you the Troll Of The Year Award 2015.

Sorry Nepht... you never had a chance after the stuff this guy posted.
    Sorry i'm not a troll....