test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Hey Cryptic/PW, why aren't you doing this?

thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Posts: 447 Arc User
Whenever I see some actual news about this game, I immediately send a tip to the video game news sites that I read. As soon as I saw the update to the event system, I tipped both massively and MMORPG.com, both of which have now posted articles about it:

http://massivelyop.com/2015/08/14/champions-online-overhauls-events-and-offers-sales/

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/335/view/news/read/35974/Champions-Online-Event-System-To-Be-Reworked.html

You can see that the massively article actually credited me for the tip, and this is not the first time.

Now, let me be clear: I'm NOT saying I don't want to do this. I'm happy to do it because I actually want people to know about this game. But I *AM* asking why YOU(cryptic/PWE) aren't the ones doing this? Massively usually credits the first person to send them a tip, and I shouldn't be getting any credit because you guys should have already contacted them before any outside player knows about this.

Getting to the point, why aren't you guys advertising your own game?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

Comments

• Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Sigh....I have no idea.

They do a lot of stuff that blows my mind. Like offering rewards for donations and not giving out those rewards.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    They are too busy working on the next big content expansion.
    onion-40.gifonion-30.gifonion-20.gifonion-18.gifonion-7.gifonion-6.gif​​
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    Sigh....I have no idea.

They do a lot of stuff that blows my mind. Like offering rewards for donations and not giving out those rewards.
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    They are too busy working on the next big content expansion.
    onion-40.gifonion-30.gifonion-20.gifonion-18.gifonion-7.gifonion-6.gif​​

I obviously missed something, so what is the story behind your profile pics?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    If we tell you, we have to kilt you.​​
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    Skirting the issue, I see.
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    Looking at the comments from people in those articles, doesn't speak highly.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options

People bash every game on news sites, it's nothing unique to Champs. What would really be great is if some of the ads that show up on the side of the site were for Champs, not just an occasional article based of a tip from some random player.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    kemmicals wrote: »

And he's gonna get away with it, scot-free.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    Looking at the comments from people in those articles, doesn't speak highly.

People bash every game on news sites, it's nothing unique to Champs. What would really be great is if some of the ads that show up on the side of the site were for Champs, not just an occasional article based of a tip from some random player.

Teh bashing is usually split fairly evenly and you typically see both equal amounts of hate and praise for a game.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options

Teh bashing is usually split fairly evenly and you typically see both equal amounts of hate and praise for a game.​​

Yeah, I'm gunna have to go ahead and disagree there. Why? Because, human nature. Generally speaking, people are more likely to let their voice be heard when they are unhappy, rather than when they are happy. Example: most people don't ask to speak to the manager at a restaurant after a great meal, but a lot of people will ask to speak to the manager if they had a bad meal. Of course there are always exceptions on both sides, but I am speaking generally. The same principal is true about video games and the internet. If someone feels strongly enough to post, it is more likely they are complaining about something rather than praising something they like. Again, there are exceptions on both sides, but the majority tend to be complaints, due to human nature. So no, there is typically never "equal amounts" of hate and praise for a game. Feel free to disagree, but we'll just have to agree to disagree at that point.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User

Not even the insanity pleat can save him.
  • Options

Teh bashing is usually split fairly evenly and you typically see both equal amounts of hate and praise for a game.

Yeah, I'm gunna have to go ahead and disagree there. Why? Because, human nature.

That's your prerogative, but people are as likely to let others know when they are happy just as much when they aren't happy. Human nature is a bit more involved than you think it is.​​
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User

Not even the insanity pleat can save him.

Well, that's Finn for you. Always gotta be s-tartan something.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    xrazamaxxrazamax Posts: 979 Arc User
    Seeing as how the "events" aren't really fully up and going yet, they probably didn't think it was worth alerting the media. But it is nice that you at least put CO's name out there on your own :D
  • Options
    draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    What would they advertise? The 'new' tutorial and revisions to the event system are hardly newsworthy. An overprice power up pack? The costume price increase?
  • Options
    cynicoolcynicool Posts: 160 Arc User
    I just want to point out that Development and Marketing are very likely two different departments altogether.​​
    10dsf81.png
  • Options
    epeleskerepelesker Posts: 307 Arc User
    Considering that the CO team used to be somewhat friendly with the Massively staff, this is a bit of a surprise. At the same time, times have changed: Massively's gone independent due to getting shafted from AOL, and the game's shifted from dev to dev and back.
    ----
    Heroic Roleplayer @epelesker | PRIMUS Database Moderator | Brigade Advocate
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    people are as likely to let others know when they are happy just as much when they aren't happy.​​

If only that were true in customer service.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    ashensnow wrote: »
    people are as likely to let others know when they are happy just as much when they aren't happy.​​

If only that were true in customer service.

Exactly my point. I mean, championshewolf is free to *believe* whatever she wants, but what I described in my earlier post is not my opinion, it is scientifically studied behavior. People simply have less motivation to speak up about something when they are feeling good, as opposed to when they want something changed.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    the sales version is;
    a happy customer will tell 1 person.
    an unhappy customer will tell 10.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    For now PWE has nothing real to show. Things like revamps and short-term events were done to death before.
    Advertising it only provokes comments pointing at it.

Steel Crusade saw a bit more advertising, but also was a bit bigger.​​
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    For now PWE has nothing real to show. Things like revamps and short-term events were done to death before.
    Advertising it only provokes comments pointing at it.

Steel Crusade saw a bit more advertising, but also was a bit bigger.​​

Here is the thing though: Champs launched in 2009. A kid who was only 12 at the time is around 18 now. There are a lot of people who are in Champs target audience who have probably never even heard of this game. And to a brand new player ALL content is new. So even if Champs isn't putting out new content right now, if someone who has never played this game before starts today, they have quite a bit of time before they run out of things to do, and that is a lot of potential money Cryptic could be making while that person is playing.
    Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    You can run out of things to do in this game not spending anything.

And before someone starts play, first this game needs to be in shape that makes it more appealing than competition, aka - other mmos, from the first sight.

Who's the target audience? DC and Marvel readers? They already have their mmos...​​
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    Who's the target audience? DC and Marvel readers? They already have their mmos...​​

And it's hilarious that they so often choose this game to play as DC and Marvel heroes. :D
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    You can run out of things to do in this game not spending anything.

Of course you can, but if someone actually does play, there is a good chance they will see something they want in the store.

The target is ANYONE who likes superheros and games. What comics they read, if any, doesnt matter.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    furries2furries2 Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I have to agree that new players will find the games content new, It's only old if your a Vetern who played it for years. I said a lot of times that new people has a burning flame inside which flame is only lit if the game there playing is new to them. If they play for years and are a vetern that flame has already burnt out beacuse there is not much to see anymore.

But that flame can keep going though even as vetern when you have friends around so even if the conntent is old to you, At least the fun can still spark. I am a Vetern I played before the game went Free to Play (Not during it's Beta Days) while its old what keeps my flame going for this long beacuse I usually play alone 95% of the time is my creativity of making heros, Beacuse I don't get along with strangers vary much (Mostly when it comes to team ups not random team ups from Alerts) only people I get along more are Newbies as I love hanging out with the new people more than Veterns, If it was a alerts that's a different story.
    "I'll never look back I've got no regrets Cause time doesn't wait for me I choose to go my own way."
    "Sonic Archie Comics"
    14mrud2.jpg
    Sonic Vs. Scourge

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension! - (Dr. Ivo Robotnik: You took the words right out of my mouth.)
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    chaelk wrote: »
    the sales version is;
    a happy customer will tell 1 person.
    an unhappy customer will tell 10.​​

In the age of social media an unhappy customer tells a thousand.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Posts: 227 Arc User
    This. Games fall when they aren't known about. Champions Online is a great game with a teeny playerbase. It's time to advertise, PWE!
  • Options
    orangeitis wrote: »
    This. Games fall when they aren't known about. Champions Online is a great game with a teeny playerbase. It's time to advertise, PWE!

Fortunately the new onslaught system will get some press coverage, but I still hope they actually buy some ad space.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    orangeitis wrote: »

I think before they'd advertise they will want to fix some of the worst bugs in their mid so players may not be put off coming to the game. But certainly with the new starting stuff and with the level to 30 thing it certainly sounds like they are planning something. If we see advertising done it will be once they have something for new players to want to get to 30 and start doing right away. (in other words getting a bunch of new players in that may or may not stay but either way have a decent chance that they will buy 2000 zen) There's got to be a reason for all of this to ultimately come together in a business model / plan.
  • Options
    crypticarkaynecrypticarkayne Posts: 182 Cryptic Developer
    Thanks for posting about us on news sites, it is appreciated! We have been talking with our marketing people about getting better coverage for Champs in the future.

In the meantime, fans posting our news articles on media sites actually helps us a lot, so keep it up! :smile:
  • Options
    Thanks for posting about us on news sites, it is appreciated! We have been talking with our marketing people about getting better coverage for Champs in the future.

In the meantime, fans posting our news articles on media sites actually helps us a lot, so keep it up! :smile:

Thanks for your response. And to be clear, I understand that it is not your job as a developer to advertise the game, and you have marketing people for that. My thread title simply used the general team "devs" to mean "the people in charge", but I understand the difference and hope to see some ads in the future.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    KagamiTheMagicalCatGerlKagamiTheMagicalCatGerl Posts: 357 Arc User

And it's hilarious that they so often choose this game to play as DC and Marvel heroes. :D

And even more comedic that they aren't allowed to.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    Who's the target audience? DC and Marvel readers? They already have their mmos...

And even more comedic that they aren't allowed to.

it's funnier seeing people in DCUO trying to play Marvel and DC heroes and villains.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    cynicoolcynicool Posts: 160 Arc User
    The only DC/Marvel licenced games that pull me away from CO are the Lego ones. If there were a Lego Marvel/DC MMO I'd be gone.

Who am I kidding? I'd still be here, I'd just play less.​​
    10dsf81.png
  • Options

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    falzeprophetfalzeprophet Posts: 14 Arc User
    I agree Nagus, if I had heard about this game sooner I would've been playing for years, just learned of it 2 months ago and have been an addict since.
    If perception is reality, then you're just a point of view.
  • Options

I agree Nagus, if I had heard about this game sooner I would've been playing for years, just learned of it 2 months ago and have been an addict since.

Wow, that's encouraging to hear. Hopefully Cryptic/PW will start doing some advertising of their own to get more people like you on board.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    I'm also doing a little advertising on the COH reddit, so maybe we'll see a new player or two:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cityofheroes/comments/3jznj6/my_champions_tributenot_replica_character_of/

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    euthymiaeuthymia Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited September 2015

Why would a game that's had no content updates in years have anything but bad comments on any article?

There's a reason it's got a small player base.

1. No content for years.
    2. Players that were here left over no content for years.
    3. Players continue to leave because no content for years and they are sick of playing the old content after doing it 20 times.
    4. No content for years, but they take the time to make lockboxes.
    5. NO CONTENT FOR YEARS!!!!!

Seriously, why would people keep playing a game that isn't supported anymore? The game is basically abandon-ware at this point.

• Options
    euthymia said:

Why would a game that's had no content updates in years have anything but bad comments on any article?

I won't argue that Champs gets far less content updates than I would like, but to be correct, the last actual mission content update(that I am aware of) was exactly 1 year ago:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online/news/detail/7006223-steel-crusade-update!

So yes, it's bad, but it's not "years", it was last year.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    gaarafrednorrispgaarafrednorrisp Posts: 504 Arc User

euthymia said:

I won't argue that Champs gets far less content updates than I would like, but to be correct, the last actual mission content update(that I am aware of) was exactly 1 year ago:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online/news/detail/7006223-steel-crusade-update!

So yes, it's bad, but it's not "years", it was last year.

And it was how long between the last new content and the Steel Crusade one?
    AWWWW CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE! DON'T YOU DARE. BE SOUR. CLAP FOR YOUR NIGHTMARE AND FEEEEEEEEEEEL THE POWAAAAAAH!
  • Options
    lafury001200lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
    It's simple. DCUO has tons and tons of content. They also have an utterly dismal cc system. Here we have great customization and a content drought. People can actually create the characters they want here. DCUO you are a clone. Not an insult. I love Batman. The movies, the graphic novels, all of it. If I'm making my own character, however, I am an adult. I don't need a bloody mentor. And frankly in this combat environment a Batman clone will just faceplant.

Arkayne talk is one thing, and it's much appreciated, but until your bosses allocate resources we are all kinda stuck in the same pipe dream of having the heroes we want, but no where new to fight.

just my 2 cents
  • Options
    elenahallelenahall Posts: 28 Arc User
    The question actually goes further, why is Cryptic / PWE not even able to announce their own maintenance windows ..

In the launcher: "We will be performing shard maintenance on September 17th from 7-9 AM Pacific (14:00-16:00 UTC). Please check the forums."

And if you actually do check the forums .. you don't even find an info thread about it. Talk about failing ...