test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How would you prefer to receive new combat Powers?

tigerofcachticetigerofcachtice Posts: 551 Arc User
The Gravity Driver (alternate) Ultimate Power was introduced via the new Ravenswood Lockbox. However, it wasn't the 1st time we received new Powers. Which of the 3 following options would you prefer? This is an anonymous, unofficial poll.
Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
More action at Champions Online Comics @ http://co-comics.webs.com

How would you prefer to receive new combat Powers? 47 votes

New Powers should be purchased via the Zen Store (like Travel Powers)
70% 33 votes
New Powers should be earned leveling a new AT to 40 (like the Automaton AT)
21% 10 votes
New Powers should be dropped via Lockboxes (as they are currently)
8% 4 votes

Comments

• themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    IMO new powers should be given automatically to Gold subscribers/LTSers/those who have bought Freeform slots.
    Perhaps you could put that in the options in the OP.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    ^This.
    How about simply having new powers available for FF slots? You know, for people who actually spent their real life money for subscriptions/LTS/FF slots to play with new powers?

And I eventually miiight get behind purchasing entire new powersets, but not individual powers.​​
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    For Free.
    If it's a whole new Power Set. Put it in the C-store. I'll buy it.
    No ATs.
    No Lock Boxes.

Earn thru Mission? Sure. As long as the mission isn't: 1st mission to kill 999 Baddies. 2nd gather 65 Evidence Pieces. 3rd wait the "Event" to begin.​​
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    Anything but gambleboxes/Drifter salvage. I didn't come here to play slot machines.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    I want to get mine from fighting a boss. Like an ultimate reward.
  • kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    I'd prefer them just pop in automatically, but I'd be cool with Z-store if it was reasonably priced.
  • cyronecyrone Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    I want to get mine from fighting a boss. Like an ultimate reward.

As long as said boss isn't part of a temporary event.
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
    "There is only one way to support a PFF tank: Send Cyrone lots of money weekly... because he's the only one to successfully be a true PFF Tank." - chuckwolf
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    I think they should be free like they said so long ago they would be.

But for the sake of the "We're trying new things to get more money to embiggen this game," I'd say a full powerset in the C-Store along with accompanying Archetype would be sweet. This way new powers can be used by all players, not just Gold.

If done right, paid content packs with exclusive rewards could be pretty cool. Say you got a storyline with four minor villains and one big boss dude, and each one has a new, signature move, each from a different powerset, along with maybe a few costume parts unique to these characters. These bosses could drop tokens used to acquire the powers and costumes.

I didn't mind the Archetype approach at all, but some people were really touchy about its powerset so they'd have to build them a bit better. I liked that it made me play different than any build I'd made before, so it definitely had a big fun factor for me. You only get money out of Silver players this way though.
    biffsig.jpg
  • windupduckwindupduck Posts: 52 Arc User
    "We're trying new things to get more money to embiggen this game,"

You know, I never heard the word embiggen till I started reading these forums..
    It's a real word, you just gotta look it up in the correct dictionary: http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Made-up_words :p
    Embiggen

To make something better. The opposite of belittle.

From a famous saying by Jebediah Springfield/Hans Sprungfeld: "A Noble Spirit Embiggens the Smallest Man", evoking the manner in which its antonym, belittle, was coined by Thomas Jefferson. It is likely a creative conflation of big with the word embolden (to render bold; to hearten, to encourage). The quotation appears on the statue of Jebediah Springfield in front of City Hall.
    ​​
    biffsig.jpg
  • windupduckwindupduck Posts: 52 Arc User
    It's a real word, you just gotta look it up in the correct dictionary: http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Made-up_words :p ​​

Aww, I was hoping you'd tell me that "embiggen" is a perfectly cromulent word!
    D'oh!

​​
    biffsig.jpg
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    None of the above. I'd rather they just show up in their powerset. I already paid for my FF slots. Plus, I have no love for the future P2W arguments that would show up. I'm also less than thrilled about the future arguments over new powers being sold that are awesome while we have plenty of broken ones that never get fixes. Kinda like how Grav Driver is better than almost all of the other ultimates.

Travel powers are fluff items. They are simply skins of already freely existing travel modes.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • cynicoolcynicool Posts: 160 Arc User
    I want my new powers brought to me by cherubim on a silver platter with a bottle of whiskey.​​
    10dsf81.png
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    I'd just like some more new powers. Not that fussy how they come, except I don't like the idea of leveling a character to unlock powers.​​
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    working properly, bug and rort free.
    able to be used with a reasonable selection of other powers.
    with no eye watering graphics.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    Ideally yes.. new powers should automatically go to Gold and LTS members. Realistically, my guess is that money has long since run dry. It would be interesting to know how many LTS subs have been sold in the past year and how many active monthly subscribers there are.

I cancelled my monthly sub. Mostly because I can see exactly where this is going. If it ends up like STO subbing won't really make any sense as new shineys are going to come in lockboxes. The only upside is that those new things will also be available on the AH.

For now I'm content with the 9 AT's I have. We'll wait and see how it pans out.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • SeschatSeschat Posts: 24 Arc User
    Preferably as part of my subscription fees. Thre aren't enough of us to get a viable economy from lockbox drops, even if I wanted to encourage gambling.​​
    --
    I'm ME again, having been revanantmorituri during the era between forumpocalypses.
    BatRon 11 ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ Millennium Triumphant ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ Emerald Armada
    Champions Online closed Beta tester. Star Trek Online closed Beta tester.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,582 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    They should have not sold Freeform slots in the first place and instead applied a Power Set plan. You purchase a power set and then can use that power set on any character you want. Purchasing more power sets grant you more powers. Purchasing a subscription gives you access to all power sets as long as you are subscribed.

When people buy certain power sets they can use those numbers to find out which sets are more popular and add new powers to those sets that are granted retroactively. If they want people to buy more power sets they can make new ones to get players to buy those.

If you are subscribed you shouldn't need to buy powers since you are already buying them every month!

They can still do this system. Keep freeform slots as able to use all powers forever unless they can come up with a plan to change the slots to this new system and refund the zen so players can buy power sets. Keep the character slots as a thank you for buying into the overpriced slots from before.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Posts: 227 Arc User
    By draining them from my opponent's cold, dead corpse.

Mega Man can do it, why not us?
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    None of the above for me.
    I think new power frameworks would have been the right course--pay for Silvers, like an AT, and free for Gold.

Another possibility, for making just one power at a time, like this, is for the power to cost equal to or less than one month of stipend in the C-Store, so it is "essentially free" to Gold/LTS.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    orangeitis wrote: »
    By draining them from my opponent's cold, dead corpse.

Mega Man can do it, why not us?

Mega Man actually takes the programming and components of Robot Masters and incorporates it into his being, aka, he isn't draining anything, he's adding new parts piecemeal to himself. ​

As far as my view, if anything in the Zen store, though people that are subbed should probably get these powers for free. Then again, I also believe that a limited freeform should have been implemented not the terrible AT system we have now.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • orangeitisorangeitis Posts: 227 Arc User
    Mega Man actually takes the programming and components of Robot Masters and incorporates it into his being, aka, he isn't draining anything, he's adding new parts piecemeal to himself. ​
    That makes more sense.

...I still wanna do it.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    I'd prefer them all available in the Q store, like the Q travel powers. 200,000Q is a bit cheaper than 525Z at current exchange rates, but putting more stuff into the Q store would change the rates.​​
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    How would I prefer to receive new powers? At all.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    That makes more sense.

...I still wanna do it.

The animated series, from the 90s, had him absorbing the powers of the other robots.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    draogn wrote: »
    The animated series, from the 90s, had him absorbing the powers of the other robots.

Lets forget about that cartoon >_>"

nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    IMO new powers should be given automatically to Gold subscribers/LTSers/those who have bought Freeform slots.

THIS!

I'm fully of the opinion that single powers should be done for free to Gold members or as part of the corresponding AT. Especially since Cryptic's already copped out (for the second or third time on this game) and said no new power sets. If anything, I would be okay receiving an ultimate ability as a card bonus for opening different types of boxes, but under no circumstances is it acceptable for cryptic to lock them behind a random (and terrible) drop rate from a lotto box.

Entirely unacceptable.

More so, since people voiced out against it and Cryptic pretty much didn't care... like always. This was a bad move, and it's only going to get worse.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    That makes more sense.

...I still wanna do it.

I suppose they could have us eat the hearts of our enemies to absorb their power, although that seems a little grimdark for CO...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 766 Arc User
    Well, there's plenty of the drivers floating around for almost nothing; I think it's not terrible, it's better than nothing at all.

XS​​
    [NbK]XStorm
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    A
    jonsills wrote: »
    That makes more sense.

...I still wanna do it.

I suppose they could have us eat the hearts of our enemies to absorb their power, although that seems a little grimdark for CO...

We already have human sacrifice and the VB stuff, so grimdark is already here.
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    If they want to motivate people to gain powers by actual playing the game, I would suggest making the powers as 100% Reward for Completing Adventure Packs/Comics Series

Imagine, if they create a whole new Adventure Pack (as big as Resistance) and your rewards for Completing it and finding extra Secrets is Powers

The Mechanon Questline was pathetic, and definatly didn't worth the Hype

the Automaton project was a big Failure, 3 powers on a badly build AT didn't worth the trouble

Lockboxes are NOT New Content

or just...

... THIS^​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • cyronecyrone Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    avianos wrote: »
    If they want to motivate people to gain powers by actual playing the game, I would suggest making the powers as 100% Reward for Completing Adventure Packs/Comics Series​​

I can get behind this.
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
    "There is only one way to support a PFF tank: Send Cyrone lots of money weekly... because he's the only one to successfully be a true PFF Tank." - chuckwolf
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    Tokens granted for completing AP's that could be used to purchase powers would be cool IMO. Randomize which AP grants tokens on any given day, and perhaps even include a chance at extra tokens for completion on higher difficulty settings.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    riverocean wrote: »
    Ideally yes.. new powers should automatically go to Gold and LTS members. Realistically, my guess is that money has long since run dry.

It can't be "run dry" as I and I'm sure at least some others are still subbing month to month. If I pay 10-15 bucks a month every month for night on six years now, I've gone over the value paid into the game that an LTer has by a factor of at least two and as much as three if compared to the original discounted $200 LT price tag.

The well can't be "dried out" if I and others like me still pay month after month. I'm still a bit sore that those years of my payments were used to make STO and NWO, rather than placed back in CO.

I was under the false assumption that eventually all the upgrades and additions those games got to the engine would make their way here, but alas...

We frankly do need more value added to subbing, as the monthly sub costume piece isn't cutting it. I'm about ready to go silver and I've been here sine a year before day 1.

Something amazing better be on the horizon for the anniversary or shortly thereafter. :'(

Er, as far as the OP question goes.

I think Sub and LT subs should get them up front, they paid for it already. at least assuming this is Zen / Q store powers.

I am not against unlocking things in gameplay, but the gameplay should be compelling and fun, not a chore, and should have a faster get-around for those who want to grind it out faster..[Like the tokens for the Independence day event, that was great. 5 per day easy, plus 1 bonus for each additional run you chose to make] .

As well as a time based auto grant at the end of the event for people who are subbing or LT [Sort of like the release of the Celestial powers at the first Bloodmoon, and how people could unlock them in gameplay in the event, or wait two weeks after the event and just get them for free, although at that time, everyone playing was subbing].

I admit a token grant at the end of APs and CSs would be pretty great too, I still like to play those things.

​​
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    iamrune wrote: »
    riverocean wrote: »
    Ideally yes.. new powers should automatically go to Gold and LTS members. Realistically, my guess is that money has long since run dry.

It can't be "run dry" as I and I'm sure at least some others are still subbing month to month. If I pay 10-15 bucks a month every month for night on six years now, I've gone over the value paid into the game that an LTer has by a factor of at least two and as much as three if compared to the original discounted $200 LT price tag.
    ​​

Agreed, but only if the LTS has not been spending money on a monthly basis all along as well.

In my case I have actually stopped spending money on the game for the simple reason that Cryptic no longer adds things, that I am interested in buying, at a rate that out paces my stipend. But, for years, I spent more per month than the cost of a subscription on top of buying two LTS.

Still, my thanks to you and those like you supporting the game on a monthly basis with your sub fees.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • stellariodragonstellariodragon Posts: 588 Arc User
    I'd prefer Questionite Store, with the option to be sold in AH. Zen Store/Lock boxes seem too pay-to-win for me.
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    Is it that time of year when we all brag about how much money we've spent on CO?

Judging by the new category in the AH, I'm guessing we'll be getting all / most of our new powers in boxes. Hey, devs! Since you're fiddling with that mess, how about removing the 'bag' category? It only exists to scam new players out of globals anyway.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    At first when I heard Gravity Driver would be behind a lockbox, I was kinda confused and shocked but it passed. However that was just in that ONE instance.

Future powers/powersets should be either freely usable by all gold/LTS players when added to the game, in a similar manner to Earth and Wind Power sets as well as New Telepathy and New Laser Sword (although hopefully with less existing bugs).

However, much like it has already been said by some, for the sake of trying to generate more money for Champions Online, I would not be opposed to buying new powers or power sets if they were priced reasonably and had undergone great amounts of testing and feedback and looked fantastic (much like Gravity Driver).

I can see why buying/unlocking the set in the Z-Store would be better, so that they can see what sells well and what doesn't and just make money in general. I'd like to think that this would bring in just as much cash as lockboxes, but I don't think that would be the case without them being overpriced. (Note: I have no idea how much lockboxes or Z-Store purchases make CO and even if CO fully benefits from the money it makes, but for the sake of argument let's say it does).

Basically, new combat orientated powers, be they New Ultimates or New Power Sets should be permanently available to purchase in Z-Store or some sort of Powers Store or even for completing a related piece of permanent story in Champions Online. (For example, I'd have been much happier to unlock Rocket Fist and AoTM via completion of Steel Crusade on X Difficulty, than levelling a squishy AT to lvl 40)

The only things I'd be happy to see in lockboxes are:

Vehicles, Legion Gear, Costume Sets plus the usual stuff that we normally have.

• magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    If the dev time for new powers has to be paid for by lockboxes then so be it, as long as the power gets given to Gold/LTS subscribers a reasonable time after the lockbox has gone out of circulation (three months, maybe)? That way Cryptic get their lockbox/key sale cash boost and subscribers get the new content, eventually.

What I think they'll do, though, is to put more new stuff in limited time lockboxes and then run the Timewarp event more frequently.... double bubble on Zen/key sales.
  • hasukurobihasukurobi Posts: 405 Arc User
    I am not a fan of random chance and Skinner Boxes. I really HATE them. I understand WHY they do this. Make no mistake I am fully aware of the reasoning. However, I would MUCH rather just buy these things.
  • rykus83rykus83 Posts: 337 Arc User
    yes free would be best but if there has to be a cost for new powers why not Q there hasn't been anything added to the Q store in a long time I think vehicle weapons was the last thing. that way is people want the powers right away just buy zen and trade in for Q and if people don't want to spend money they can grind for the Q.
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I Dunno about that, the Questionite Store has been another Abandoned project!
    Look at this, we still only have 1 Questionite Costume Set, they never added another one

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to be able to buy Reskins of existing powers from Q store (...Like all the Magical Power Armor reskins Lemuria Power armor use...) Those powers would fit BETTER for my PA armor character theme and they are pretty​​
    Post edited by avianos on
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • KagamiTheMagicalCatGerlKagamiTheMagicalCatGerl Posts: 357 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    The same way we always did... by having them added to the powers UI.

If, gun to my head, I had to make some other way, I would do it via in-game farming. Some sort of new recognition currency, with some vendor, where you have to do missions... I wouldn't even make it new missions, I would make it current stuff like "go do this Open Mission" or "Go run this Comic Series" or "go kill X amount of enemy faction" or "Go run this Lair"... actually it would be all four. Every day you would get four random daily missions, one of each type I just listed, you would do them, get your tokens, and in a few days you would be able to get a new power.

Gun to my head.