test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

LOCKBOX CALLOUTS: How will you react?

Comments

• guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,387 Arc User
    I'm not a fan. I will open one lockbox for the Bonus Stamp, then stop.
    sterga wrote: »
    I also don't understand the people who seem to buy everything for completion sake. Why? I buy things that I actually intend to use, not just because. Cryptic isn't my BFF. I certainly don't feel obligated to get that creepy a-- bird no matter how amazing they make it.
    I play this game mostly to make characters, I pick up every costume piece I can because one day I might have a use for the piece, and if I don't see a use now later I might regret not picking up something up while it was dirt cheap.

As for the bird: it's a terrible reward but I've already wasted two keys, I've still got a few in my inventory that I'd saved for this new set, and so I got no real reason not to open just one to get the costume piece. I won't be opening any of the next series until I see what the reward is however.
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    The bird isn't really... spectacular. I mean, I'd prefer a few more items than one piece.
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,387 Arc User
    A-well-a, everybody's heard about the bird
    Bird, bird, bird, b-bird's the word
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    Dead, stuffed bird is three words.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • cynicoolcynicool Posts: 160 Arc User
    Compared to the Alien Hybrid parts and the totally awesome Jet Wings, the Dead Bird is just... dumb. Seriously, it's a very niche piece. Pirates and Norman Bates. Bam. Costume list done.​​
    10dsf81.png
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    Whatever. I will open the same amount of lockboxes I usually do.
    nepht wrote: »
    Playerbase going HELL NO yet still no serious input from the devs <_<"

There's been plenty of back-and-forth with the developers about it in the PTS threads.​​
    biffsig.jpg
  • cheesesloppycheesesloppy Posts: 245 Arc User
    key based economy

tumblr_nr3d7h6iqe1t8pecvo1_500.gif
  • maatmonsmaatmons Posts: 346 Arc User1
    Well, I'm not going to open any lockboxes, but I never opened any before, and I hadn't planned to start. I guess the third option is the best fit.
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    themightyzenith mistakes:

'E's not dead! 'E's pinin' for the fjords!

'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User

"Pining for the fjords"?? What kind of talk is that? Look, why did it fall flat on its back the moment I got it home?!?
    ​​
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »

"Pining for the fjords"?? What kind of talk is that? Look, why did it fall flat on its back the moment I got it home?!?
    ​​

Wouldn't you fall over after a hard day of sitting on someone's shoulder? That stuff takes a lot of leg strength.
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    It's a palindrome. :D
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    You guys remember Bjergen Kjargen, from Kneurgen, near the Joergen Fjords?
    4f2e46e3a2e632ecf715d82044fcf81f.jpg
    ​​
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    That explains the ghost option, I suppose.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,425 Arc User
    No one harassed me when I got the Flaming Pink Hovercar (which I now have to unload); would have much preferred the costume set. Got the Gravity Driver at the AH for 400 (not as good as finding 5xR7 Impact Prisms the other day for 80 Gs). Now, if only I could find a depleted uranium core. :) ​​
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • chimerafreekchimerafreek Posts: 383 Arc User
    Dear lord, the one thing they take from NW, and it's the most OBNOXIOUS of things. WHY do we need this? All it's going to do is tempt people to spam trade requests at people when they get something from a lockbox.
    It's even more annoying then I'd imagined.
  • rokegpierokegpie Posts: 18 Arc User
    Cryptic: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give us an option to disable fly-in notifications like we have on STO. I don't want to be forced to view more advertisement for your latest lockbox (I already see enough of it in my inventory and in the ren center and on the website).
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,022 Arc User
    Oh WOW! this Became Annoying and Obnoxious REALLY quickly onion-49.gif​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    rokegpie wrote: »
    Cryptic: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give us an option to disable fly-in notifications like we have on STO. I don't want to be forced to view more advertisement for your latest lockbox (I already see enough of it in my inventory and in the ren center and on the website).

I'd rather they removed this 'feature' they thought they could sneak onto the ptr with out anyone noticing. But yes if that is not an option being able to disable would be nice. Annoying an players who are already frustrated with the state of CO serves no purpose.
    I don't like it, but it hasn't come up very much at all. Nine times in over two hours.​​
    biffsig.jpg
  • sammiefightersammiefighter Posts: 92 Arc User
    Reaction? Umm . . good job at wasting time on feature that people seem embarrassed to be associated with.
    Now we can burn more time pestering devs with "turn off option", probably a few harassment complaints, and extra data base maintenance tracking deleted characters (those hiding the winnings).

Worse, the lack of spam either shows the terrible output rate (did they forget to port the fake lockbox spam?), or lack of player base / buy in to the scheme

Not seeing the upside here
  • ladygadflyladygadfly Posts: 279 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2015
    draogn wrote: »
    I'd rather they removed this 'feature' they thought they could sneak onto the ptr with out anyone noticing.

You assume malice where there is none. We did not attempt to sneak it onto PTS, the feature has existed on Champions for years and we simply decided to turn it on which is why it wasn't included in the patchnotes. We assumed people would notice it since it is designed to be noticed.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    I hope there will be positive feedback to this, since CO needs more game features.​​
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Esc>Chat settings>Tabs>Uncheck "System".

Problem solved!

Edit: I take that back. You still get the messages across the screen.
    Yeah, that would also remove mail notifications and stuff, too.​​
    biffsig.jpg
    ladygadfly wrote: »
    draogn wrote: »
    I'd rather they removed this 'feature' they thought they could sneak onto the ptr with out anyone noticing.

You assume malice where there is none. We did not attempt to sneak it onto PTS, the feature has existed on Champions for years and we simply decided to turn it on which is why it wasn't included in the patchnotes. We assumed people would notice it since it is designed to be noticed.

Would I be out of line for asking why this was implemented, despite the overwhelmingly negative feedback? Don't think we're trying to control you, but this was a feature that not only wasn't asked for, I didn't see a single person that thought it was a good idea.

It's not God-awful. I'll admit, but it's not in any way 'cool', or 'good'. There are plenty of suggestions that the community has brought forward, most seem to be ignored- why would this be any sort of focus and take developer time? If it came from higher up, then you can say so. We get it. Hardly anyone here is shocked by PWE decisions... or pleased with them.
    Here's why:
    Folks, we really do appreciate your feedback, and we do change things based on it. We understand that not every decision may be popular, but we are trying to do what we can to strengthen the game. Again, thanks very much for your posts and we'll try to address things where we can.

The player upside? If lockbox sales go up, the game makes more money, and that should mean a bigger budget.​​
    biffsig.jpg
    A bigger budget? Nah, it'll further encourage more lockbox-exclusive stuff and the C-store will become an antique.
    The announcements are going to further encourage more lockbox-exclusive stuff? So business as usual, since lockbox stuff has always been exclusive? If you mean the power, those aren't even announced when found.
    ..for NW/STO. At least according to past occurrences.

And again, this does noting to 'strengthen the game'. At all.

Remains to be seen.

You guys wanted the reason, there it is.​​
    biffsig.jpg
    The announcements are going to further encourage more lockbox-exclusive stuff? So business as usual, since lockbox stuff has always been exclusive? If you mean the power, those aren't even announced when found.

You guys wanted the reason, there it is.​​

I'll be as polite as possible with you:

1- I'm tired of gambling for costumes. I'd like to see more in the C-Store.

2- The question was not asked of you. It was asked of the Cryptic Development team. You are not a part of that team, your opinion on the matter is not what I wanted. I wanted a response from a developer. Let them be big boys and girls and speak for themselves, thank you. I understand that you think you know, and you may be right, but I did not ask you.
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    There may not have been malice, but enabling a feature that very few people, if any, actually like or want tells its own story. This annoying feature is not 'strengthening the game' at all.

You guys wanted the reason, there it is.

2- The question was not asked of you. It was asked of the Cryptic Development team. You are not a part of that team, your opinion on the matter is not what I wanted. I wanted a response from a developer. Let them be big boys and girls and speak for themselves, thank you. I understand that you think you know, and you may be right, but I did not ask you.

1- Same here.

2- All I'm saying is that they already addressed the question. In case you missed it, I put it up there. I didn't try to answer for you, the answer is all in Arkayne's post.

Only thing I actually answered is your question regarding the "bigger budget". If you didn't want to hear my end of things, you shouldn't have replied directly to my statement?​​
    biffsig.jpg

You guys wanted the reason, there it is.

1- Same here.

2- All I'm saying is that they already addressed the question. In case you missed it, I put it up there. I didn't try to answer for you, the answer is all in Arkayne's post.

Only thing I actually answered is your question regarding the "bigger budget". If you didn't want to hear my end of things, you shouldn't have replied directly to my statement?​​

You did fine for that. In truth, I want this game to go back to microtransactions, and I HATE those in other games. I'm not particularly fond of the 'new shinies' being bundled up in a gamble. You addressed that fine, I'm glad you agree.

I want them to address why it was STILL implemented despite the overwhelmingly negative feedback.
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I want them to address why it was STILL implemented despite the overwhelmingly negative feedback.

Because the feedback that matters (to them) is sales numbers and they couldn't listen to that feedback until the system was implemented.

Kind of a catch 22 really. They are expected to listen to all of the feedback before implementing something but the feedback isn't all available until that something is implemented.

Personally I do not like it.

I also don't buy the point that this didn't need patch notes because it has been in the game (not turned on) for some time. Normally pre-existing game elements being in any way fiddled with do get patch notes and have since the game launched.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
    You did fine for that. In truth, I want this game to go back to microtransactions, and I HATE those in other games. I'm not particularly fond of the 'new shinies' being bundled up in a gamble. You addressed that fine, I'm glad you agree.

Unfortunately, we already know what would happen if this game went back to just microtransations. Even back when we were getting much more development time, the game had to go free-to-play because subscriptions and C-store sales weren't keeping the game afloat.

That post of Arkayne's that I quoted, that pretty much was their response to the overly negative feedback. Everyone was saying "no one wants this, take it out). He even says that the decision is unpopular (the nicest way of putting that, I'm sure).

To me it looks like they think it's a "necessary evil." It's hard for me to argue it. The game does need more money if it's to get better development. Until someone can think of a cost-effective (within their budget) way of making the players happy and giving them what they want without any sort of chance, I think these are the things they're going to try.

It's not great, I don't think it was awesome when I opened a hundred boxes and didn't even get a vehicle. I have monumentally bad luck with like, all things. Except the Clockwork lockbox, that one was good to me. But with all other things, I never get my money's worth, ever. But if it keeps the game going? I'm all for crappy tactics to keep the game afloat instead of having no game at all.​​
    biffsig.jpg
    Unfortunately, we already know what would happen if this game went back to just microtransations. Even back when we were getting much more development time, the game had to go free-to-play because subscriptions and C-store sales weren't keeping the game afloat.

That post of Arkayne's that I quoted, that pretty much was their response to the overly negative feedback. Everyone was saying "no one wants this, take it out). He even says that the decision is unpopular (the nicest way of putting that, I'm sure).

And that's fine, personally if they said "Hey, the higher ups wanted this to happen because it brought revenue up in other games", I'd say 'Okay, fine. Give us the option to turn it off at least."
    To me it looks like they think it's a "necessary evil." It's hard for me to argue it. The game does need more money if it's to get better development. Until someone can think of a cost-effective (within their budget) way of making the players happy and giving them what they want without any sort of chance, I think these are the things they're going to try.

Oh, I get the 'we need money' thing. Here's the problem.

1- When you have no endgame, a lot people don't stick around past max level. This takes a week.

2- When you have ONE leveling path, there's no reason to replay the game.

3- When you say 'try new powers' to urge replay, they can just respec and try it, then be bored in 10 minutes.

4- People are willing to pay for game content, but someone decided to give away comic packs.

5- If you want someone to subscribe, then you have to give them SOMETHING to subscribe for. After you hit level 40, there's nothing to do and you may as well cancel and keep playing for free.

6- Releasing bugged content into the live server after being told that it's bugged makes the game look shoddy to the newcomer.

7- Letting bugs sit in the tailor and elsewhere sends the message that this game is not worth long-term investment for someone who may be considering a long-term sub or lifetime account.

8- Not being able to test a costume on PTS with all my existing costume parts makes me less inclined to purchase it or gamble for it.

9- Letting a plethora of costume pieces sit in the game without even trying to sell them is essentially not wanting money.

10- Letting alternative power animations sit in the game without even trying to sell them is essentially not wanting money.

11- Not taking powers from be-critters and making them available to the players is essentially not wanting money.

12- Removing costume parts from the game is essentially players less reason to keep playing to try and get them.

13- Not discussing the 'way ahead' in the UNTIL Field Report is showing an uncertain future, thus making anyone considering long-term subscription or lifetime account feel that it is not worth it.

14- Not allowing players to customize the color of their vehicle with 'repaint kits' or something to that effect is still a waste of money.

15- Not creating new archetypes with existing powers is throwing away money.

So, yeah- we can ALL see that they need money. What no one can understand is why they don't take these factors into consideration- or at least address them. That's just plain customer feedback.
    It's not great, I don't think it was awesome when I opened a hundred boxes and didn't even get a vehicle. I have monumentally bad luck with like, all things. Except the Clockwork lockbox, that one was good to me. But with all other things, I never get my money's worth, ever. But if it keeps the game going? I'm all for crappy tactics to keep the game afloat instead of having no game at all.​​

If I find someone who wants to get rid of one, I'll let you know.
    Well, they did say they're working on actual content right now, so that's something.

As for most of your points, player churn. New player money is pretty important. Players that haven't been through everything already. It's a reason why free-to-play works.

It wasn't this lockbox that I opened a hundred of. That kinda stuff is no longer in my budget. This lockbox was a one-and-done deal for me. I already got most of the stuff I wanted from it by using G.​​
    biffsig.jpg
    It tickles peoples' trigger fingers for buying keys. More keys bought is higher income for the game. Higher income for the game is hopefully more development/bigger team. Bigger team with more development is happier players.
    ​​
    biffsig.jpg
    I don't think the people that quit will have a huge effect on the churn players. Based on nothing other than just my thoughts on the matter.

For what it's worth, I've been logged into the game for some four hours now, maybe more, haven't really kept track too tightly, and I'm not seeing very many of these notices, at all. And it's the first day. I think the people who quit over this kinda overreacted. I get that it's an annoyance for RPers, but, dang, do people leave when they have friends log in and out too much during their play time? You get the same type of notice.

I respect peoples' choices to leave, but they may have been too hasty. How many fly-in notices have you seen today?​​
    biffsig.jpg
    At this point, I can't help but wonder- would it be wise for Cryptic to... make a 'Champions 2'?
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    It tickles peoples' trigger fingers for buying keys. More keys bought is higher income for the game. Higher income for the game is hopefully more development/bigger team. Bigger team with more development is happier players.
    ​​

This is delusional thinking, especially based on known facts, previous team all lost their jobs, the whole Cryptic North studio is shuttered.

Keys didn't save them, keys are not improving this game.

Hey, how about you quote me and then say stuff that's relevant to what you quoted? Did I say that keys saved any development team? Did I say they improved the game?

I'm talking about the measure put in to entice more key sales and the probable effect it can have on development.​​
    biffsig.jpg
    At this point, I can't help but wonder- would it be wise for Cryptic to... make a 'Champions 2'?

How would you even begin to pitch that? "Check out our lowest-earning game, let's make another one!" :p

That dog won't hunt.​​
    biffsig.jpg
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    oh dear, what a pity. opened a bunch of boxes and didn't set off the alarm. I'm so heartbroken.normal-37.gif​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg