test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Anyone else see wierd changes to damage numbers on live?

blkjackwilliamsblkjackwilliams Posts: 256 Arc User
So I've been recording damage numbers and buff numbers for powers the last couple of weeks. A few days ago I noticed powers were doing more damage on Live than PTS (PTS characters had to be repeced and rebuilt to get the new damage values).

The damage change wasn't significant and in some cases seemed to depend on the amount of damage buffs the power was affected by. Yesterday morning the damage was still different, and I asked another player to confirm that damage was different just to make sure I hadn't tripped a bug that only effected me. By last night, the damage on Live dropped to the values I saw on the PTS.

Get to now. I'm just logging in to live and I look at one of my powers, and it's doing even more damage than it was yesterday morning.

Yesterday Morning Strafing run on Arrowhead(Live) did 1966 damage, by 9PM that dropped to 1960 which was equivalent to what the identical build did on PTS. Right now, PTS is still doing 1960 with his build, but logging over to live he's doing 1986 damage.

It's weird, inconsistent, and happening without a patch to trigger it. Unless PTS patches are somehow triggering live damage changes.

Has anyone else noticed anything? Am I late to the party; is this already known?

Comments

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    Is the dmg you listed what you observe or what ur reading on the tooltip?
    Its doesn't seem to be a large variation from what you've given (+/-1 or 2%), so many potential things could affect it, even if slight (like changes to Offense or w/e).
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    These are tooltip damage numbers. Out of combat, static just standing around. And they are different in the same conditions. Identical, powers, items, stats, and situations where numbers where taken.

With identical setups it is very strange to see displayed damage change, higher or lower, without changes to the build, stats(I.E. Buffs/debuffs), or a patch.

Copying a character over to pts yesterday and this morning gave the character identical damage to live. Respecing the character and rebuilding the character with the exact same build gave lower damage on PTS despite an identical build. The really interesting thing is that when I first noticed it, it was because the R3 damage for snap shot with no buffs; completely stripped character, was showing 271 on PTS, and 313 on live. I go on to PTS right now, and it's 313 again.

I'm feeling a little crazy, but I know it's not just me because someone else was kind enough to verify the damage was shifting from live to pts.
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Might you have lost or gained stars?​​
  • Options
    Yup, that would explain the base damage differences with snap shot. I removed stars from the PTS character that I was testing damage buffs with, and didn't remove them from the live one. The character I transferred over had stars so he's at the same base damage.

However the other tests were more sanitized so to speak. The character that I copied over had full stars went straight to the powerhouse for a respec and rebuild, and ended up with less damage despite same build and stats. Additionally the original live character, with no change in stars or stats did both lose and gain damage with no respec, change to gear, or even combat. At 2:03 when I posted this, Arrowhead's SR damage was 1986, he moved stuff around from inventory to bank, sold some stuff, and that was it; logged out. Log in tonight and his SR damage is 1960.

It's not a lot, I'm just curious as to what's causing the changing numbers.
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    Well, it could be that not all the dmg bonuses are done calculating properly when ur viewing them at different times. Perhaps it has to do w/ using the offense/defense loop from Wardicator or Guardicator? But like I said, there's many potential things that can effect tooltip dmg, esp if its a smaller change. Did you see what happened to the numbers before and after fully un-equipping and re-equipping ur gear?
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    Was not disappointed. Logged in and SR went up to 2003 damage. My build fu is so good I don't even have to change anything to gain dps :tongue:

Removed gear and damage stabilized at 1625, re added gear and it stabilized back up to 2003. I also recorded all my stats, which were consistent with what they should be, so the next time damage changes I can make absolutely sure that no stats changed at all.
  • Options
    Just checked again, same stats as earlier when damage was displaying 2003. Offense, defense, superstats, and gear are all identical. Damage is back down to 1960

Weird
  • Options
    raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    You havn't been going in & out of parties with people who have damage auras or anything like that have you? Even if your not going in & out of parties, there's a slight possibility that someone nearby with a damage aura is affecting your stats when they shouldn't be, so try checking when in a secluded location (such as your hideout)...

Given how frequently your seeing the damage changes and that your highest damages are on the live server where there are likely to be more people around, a glitch with damage auras seems like a likely cause. Given that it's only a 1-2% bonus, it's really one of those things that most people wouldn't even notice. It could very easily have been a glitch that has been occuring for over a year and just gone completely unnoticed till now.
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Numbers have been consistent despite location. The three locations I checked were by Defender, in my hideout, and my usual log in/out and stand around location which is on top of the blimp elevator building. So numbers are consistent when in a solo zone, group zone near people, and group zone away from people.

EDIT:

I should also ask. Has anyone else decided to look? Is anyone else noticing different damage on powers despite not changing anything? I already asked someone to verify that damage was different between PTS and live, but it would be a good idea to verify that other people are getting tooltip damage fluctuations on live itself.
  • Options
    Looks like the recent patch may have fixed the issue. Haven't seen any variance in the last couple of days.