test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

LOCKBOX CALLOUTS: How will you react?

carrionbaggagecarrionbaggage Posts: 721 Community Moderator
Based on the last couple Test Server builds, it appears that Lockbox Callouts are coming to Champions Online.

Whenever a player receives a lucky prize from a lockbox (so far, a hovercar from the upcoming Ravenswood Lockbox), a notification is sent to every player in the game: "CharacterName got a Flaming Hovercar from the Ravenswood Lockbox!" (CharacterName does NOT include the player's handle)

This message scrolls across players' screens as a notification, and also appears in their System chat channel. There is currently no way to prevent sending it, and no way to prevent receiving it.

While a community poll is hardly a definitive metric, I am curious how this addition will impact current players' lockboxing habits. If you are willing to clarify what your current lockbox-opening habits are (or will be), please do so in your response. Thank you.

LOCKBOX CALLOUTS: How will you react? 86 votes

WHAT?!? I will never open another lockbox again.
13%
sockmunkeynephtgaelyn1klittybwdarescircleofpsi#4619delkassxioblivionxdkazecathellkitty4KagamiTheMagicalCatGerldarqaura2 12 votes
I'm not a fan. I will open one lockbox for the Bonus Stamp, then stop.
41%
eiledonruprechtvandoom1silverowl99bobj021960fusteriusjerax1011meedacthunistsistersilicontigerofcachticedraogncodewar65bazodeecrosschanthemightyzenithstratluversummerfields#1113wraithshadow13hasukurobiandondarkmorechalupaoffury 36 votes
Whatever. I will open the same amount of lockboxes I usually do.
41%
kallethentfavsb10itsbrou#5396jonsillspantagruel01chuckwolfxydaxydariveroceanchampionshewolfealford1985chaelkbluegrassbeastheavynosferatukemmicalsjaazaniah1kaiserin#0958decorumfriendseldritchfenixbiffsmackwellrykus83 36 votes
I like it! I will open even more lockboxes.
2%
bluhmanvioletnychus 2 votes

Comments

• ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Woot! The whatevers have it!
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    It's even stevens for the moment.

I voted "I'm not a fan. I will open one lockbox for the Bonus Stamp, then stop.", but then that has been my habit since not long after lockboxes were introduced and I thought that the idea stinks. I want to buy stuff but I refuse to gamble for it.

Get some decent C-Store costumes up and I will pay good money.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    Personally, once I have achieved my goal, I won't need to open any more lockboxes. My goal is to gain Gravity Driver and a good amount of spares in order to hand out to others.
  • kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,078 Cryptic Developer
    I don't care for it, but I'm happier it's just for the vehicle now. Still planning on opening my normal number of boxes.​​
  • ruprechtvandoom1ruprechtvandoom1 Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I've really had it. Not only does this game get nigh zero content updates. Now only the terrible ones get implemented. This game has a more mature audience than most other MMO's, and while I never objected to the idea of lockboxes per se, those messages (THAT CAN'T BE TURNED OFF WHATSOEVER!) are more than just a little annoying. I will use one Key, and one key only for the stamp from now on. I will seize to buy any Zen until a meaningful update has been released and just hog on my LTS for now.

At the very least give us an option, to turn these things off somehow. Then all is fine, but until then its not. At least for me.
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    You forgot the option : Lockboxes? We don't need no stinkin' lockboxes.

• canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    I got used to these messages in NW. I'll be ignoring them without getting upset here.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    I+thought+addy+was+being+a+little+creepy+_42bd5de00f5fc51c0a87d2041288362c.png
    lol I dunno
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,386 Arc User
    I think it's a bad idea and don't think it benefits the players. Given the series bonus unlock I imagine this could be the last lockbox I ever open.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Seems at the mo only two people have sense and its two insane people, me and Kitty. What does that say about the rest of you :D
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    nepht wrote: »
    Seems at the mo only two people have sense and its two insane people, me and Kitty. What does that say about the rest of you :D
    That only the crazy people are getting worked up about it?

I ignore the flyin notices in STO, I'll ignore them here. Not a big deal to me. Sure, it'd be great if we didn't have to deal with them at all, but there you go.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • codewar65codewar65 Posts: 134 Arc User
    You forgot the option : Lockboxes? We don't need no stinkin' lockboxes.

This. Online gambling is a bad thing imho.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    I think I will just take a break from the game when the new lockbox comes out, to avoid the worst of it.

I wonder if the older boxes will also activate the message system.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    I care more about the game's future than anything else.
    People come back.
    Games rarely do.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    Whatever. I will open the same amount of lockboxes I usually do

That number being zero.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I created a character called Whitelisted and he is. I will use him for opening boxes, transfer stuff, then wipe him.

anyone trying to contact me by account name will be told politely no, then put on ignore.
    Ruprecht,
    we now have the person who has been coming up with 'bright ideas' for NW in charge. Think about it.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    I'll be opening boxes either on my secondary account, or under /hide.

Nothing will change for me, I need keys only for lockbox series rewards and I'm not buying these with real money anyway.
    ​​
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I only open 1 for the Stamp, and that's it

I have wasted 100 Keys on Socrates Data Caches 3 Years ago, and since then I refuse to do the same mistake again (And I still have the Drifter Salvage from all those boxes)

As for the Global Notification for opening lockboxes, I cannot hate enough this feature!
    It won't encourage me to open more lockboxes, it will encourage me to Uninstall the game
    Post edited by avianos on
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • speekasspeekas Posts: 42 Arc User
    I'm ok with lockboxes. Those things brings money into the game and plus you can earn some globals by selling old lockboxes. But those callouts are plain silly. It's useless flood of the chat which doesn't improves PWE's profits. Plus with characters name in global chat you can easily find player and start harrasing him/her to sell you that reward from lockbox he/she just got. There are many games with this silly system and there are many games with lockboxes and without those callouts. I'm againts those callouts. Those are bad tactics to earn money, because it's useless. You wanna profits PWE? Make ads and post them in global each hour "Just today, buying 1000 zens get 100 extra. 1000 zens just 7.50 dollars.". I would say it might bring you more profit than those silly lockboxes rewards callouts.
    seems like why they use them in NW is it give players the illusion that you can get stuff from lockboxes with some degree of success sense you see all these names popping up getting stuff.
  • kharma23kharma23 Posts: 403 Arc User
    This poll doesn't really have my answer on it. I'm just going to extend my break, and not log in or buy any boxes in hopes that this will all blow over.

*head in the sand*

Really sad since Gravity driver on my two Force toons might just be what I needed to get me re-excited about playing again.bill-gates.jpg

You're a lunatic with a mad man's dream of a milk proof robot!

That is exactly the reason. The high frequency of notifications misleads the gullible player into believing that the drop rates for the high end items are much higher than they are. It's a despicable psychological tactic.
    codewar65 wrote: »
    Online gambling is a bad thing imho.

This is all the was needed to be said. I log onto Champions Online to mess around with Super Hero stuff . I dont log on for gambling U__U"

They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Ew. This is stupid. I don't give a <naughty word> who is getting vehicles. And I wouldn't want my name all over the place if a miracle should happen and I get something other than poo from a box.

The number of boxes I open has been going down a lot, not that I ever really opened many in the first place. I used to spend my stipend on them, but always got poo like r4 pre mods. I'm at the point where I pick up the set bonus if I have an idea that would use the pieces.

More people would open lockboxes if they stopped having garbage in them. R4 mods should NEVER be an option. NEVER. R5 mods are even a lame option. Valve did this research for you, use it.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    I like it! I will open even more lockboxes.
    Boxes are silly, I will open one some time.

I like purple.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Like this:
    meh.gif
    Then like this:
    bored042.gif
    Then like this after few more:
    tumblr_meh7wfvaw51qku5am.gif

​​
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited July 2015
    Disclaimer:
    I will open lockboxes for bonus card rewards, but only IF there's something of value as a said reward.

Previous two rewards were a cool useful minisets. But the incoming one is kinda basic one costume part. So it's an easy pass for now.​​
    Post edited by meedacthunist on
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    Not particularly thrilled about anything in the lockboxes. Of course, I like the look of the vehicle and anyone who isn't thinking of ZZ Top is a heathen that needs to have their nose full of poots.
    If I have nothing more worthwhile to blow stipend on, I'll open my usual... five a month.

SInce you know, that's all you can really afford in a month now.
    "Now"? There was a time when you could get more than five keys with 500 Zen?
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    If I have nothing more worthwhile to blow stipend on, I'll open my usual... five a month.

Used to be able to get any costume set.
    ​​
    biffsig.jpg
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited July 2015

No, but there was a time when you could get a costume set for your monthly stipend.

(sorry smacky, didn't see your post :o )

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Do wonder, if the DEVs kept the GLOBAL NOTIFICATION for lockboxes for EVERY reward and not only for Vehicles and kept the @handles, would people still chose Yellow option?

Also, still no option to disable it huh?\
    Disclaimer:
    I will open lockboxes for bonus card rewards, but only IF there's something of value as a said reward.

Previous two rewards were a cool useful minisets. But the incoming one is kinda basic one costume part. So it's an easy pass for now.​​

I have to agree with this, the 3rd Bonus reward is REALLY dull and lame compared to the previous 2

Alien Tights and the Jet Wings were REALLY good quality, many costume parts and variations

But this? IT'S A DEAD BIRD! We have been waiting, how many months for this now? and they gave us a Dead Bird? Something tells me it's another Rushed thing they put in the last minute
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    It affects only positively to the CO.
    Why else would they introduce it?
    It's not like they just put these things in to annoy us or make the gameplay less ...fun?
    onion-15.gifonion-43.gifonion-68.gif

​​
    I have entertained a thought that we might have been shoveled back to the Los Gatos to "burn off the inventory" before shoving us into a maintenance mode but...nah.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    I have entertained a thought that we might have been shoveled back to the Los Gatos to "burn off the inventory" before shoving us into a maintenance mode but...nah.
    Doesn't really make much sense - it's all virtual, and if they wanted to never add anything again all they'd have to do is delete files. It's not like this stuff is cluttering up a warehouse somewhere. (Although if it were, that would be about the coolest warehouse this side of the one the Ark was stuffed into...)

Yeah, that's where the "nah" comes in. :)
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    At one time, there were actually useful costume sets in the Z store that didn't cost 1,000Z.

On the poll, I'm actually with "I don't like it but it won't affect how many lockboxes I open".
    Look its bad enough we have gold sellers, Luci, Linda and Messiah ...now we are going to have this spaming not zone but our screens :V
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,386 Arc User
    What would be great is if it also listed how many lockboxes someone opens to get that ultra rare car.
  • crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Disclaimer:

I would have to agree with this. It's getting to the point around here where I won't even use my stipend to buy stuff because of how horrid it has become(I do not own Variable Robot until "A Future Date" when they unsuck it). I've gone from buying things with real money despite having enough stipend in the past to being unwilling to buy things with what is essentially "Free Zen" in the present. How crap is something when you won't get it for free?

If "New" Old Cryptic has a trick up their sleeves then it needs to happen ASAP and it needs to be spectacular because it's looking like "Champions Online 2015: The year all the bad jokes became reality" around here.

Clarification: At present I'm not exactly rushing out to get this bird thing either. I'm quickly shifting from "I must have all unlocks" to" "meh, pass."
    2s9bzbq.jpg
    edited July 2015
    guyhumual wrote: »
    What would be great is if it also listed how many lockboxes someone opens to get that ultra rare car.

[07.14.2015] [04:17] [Every chat window] [Sytsem] @blackreddethgougedueldemoncatgurlwolfninja has gained EBINYOLOLEETULTRARAREHOVERCAR and has opened 183476 Yet Another Bird Stuff Lock Boxes!!!1!!​​
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    I wonder if the next costume set will have turd trail projected texture aura.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • kharma23kharma23 Posts: 403 Arc User
    crosschan wrote: »
    It's getting to the point around here where I won't even use my stipend to buy stuff because of how horrid it has become(I do not own Variable Robot until "A Future Date" when they unsuck it). I've gone from buying things with real money despite having enough stipend in the past to being unwilling to buy things with what is essentially "Free Zen" in the present. How crap is something when you won't get it for free?

Whole heartedly agree with this.

I rarely spend actual money now because there's nothing I'm excited to buy, even with stipend money. That wasn't a problem in the not so distant past.

Now, even when you make something I do want, or has acceptable quality, you place it in a gamble box which I am less and less inclined to waste time, and even free resources on.

You're a lunatic with a mad man's dream of a milk proof robot!

second account- since i have specific types on it, has the ones free with gold and a few others.

silver acct is getting whatever freebies I find or swap for.Since i don't use it much.
    the only consolation with the notifications, they seem to have accidently changed the car drop rate to 0.4% while upping the gravity driver drop. yes that drop level is going to have a ... lot of announcements. here's where we hope for bad car drops, so we get across zone- "so anyone got a car yet?" NO, X boxes and no cars yet.

​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• plasmoid070plasmoid070 Posts: 22 Arc User
    I have no particular interest in the lockboxes. If I do invest in keys it will just be with my stipend and it will only be for the Drifter Currency at best. The lockboxes are just something I store away in a shared bank and it even proves that with my ~250 Grav Bike lockboxes.
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    This lost me for one very specific reason. I have a lot of friends who RP, and I refuse to be one of the immersion breaking walls of text that go over their screen every few minutes. I hate em in NW, I disabled them on STO (but they appear to have come back), and I don't like them here.

Starting to wonder if they're intentionally trying to piss off the community. Between this, that awful robot costume, and putting a power in a lock box (Which they flat out PROMISED to never do)? Not good.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    There's probably some psychological shenanigans behind these messages. Does that poo really work? Do people look at these stupid messages and think "gee golly! I need to open more boxes!" ? I just can't see it.

I also don't understand the people who seem to buy everything for completion sake. Why? I buy things that I actually intend to use, not just because. Cryptic isn't my BFF. I certainly don't feel obligated to get that creepy a-- bird no matter how amazing they make it.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
    Playerbase going HELL NO yet still no serious input from the devs <_<"